As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Modern Horizons spoilers happening now!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Anialos wrote: »
    I've finally saved up enough gems for a Traditional Draft in Arena. What do you guys suggest trying to draft? I know the AI prioritizes certain things so trying to draft those is futile.

RNA draft is really open... as a new drafter I would probably avoid Azorius and don't try to build 4c Gates, but otherwise just keep a card rating guide in front of you (even for experienced players this is good because it's easy to misread cards while drafting them) like LSV's or this. Don't be afraid of splashing a third color if your mana is good and keep an eye on 10-15th picks for multi-color playables, because it's usually a good sign that the guild is open.
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hey guys is there another prerelease this weekend or is the thread creator extremely lazy?

The latter.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I've actually been slowly working on a better OP, I should get that out this afternoon.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I don't feel nearly as boxed in to certain decks in RNA as I did Guilds by bot priorities, especially after they made 4 bots in any given draft spike Dimir.

I'd say my general advice if you haven't drafted is, when in doubt, take the cheaper card or the single color card (until you are committed).

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    I don't feel nearly as boxed in to certain decks in RNA as I did Guilds by bot priorities, especially after they made 4 bots in any given draft spike Dimir.

I'd say my general advice if you haven't drafted is, when in doubt, take the cheaper card or the single color card (until you are committed).

Guilds was just a worse format. Not bad, but worse.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The nicest thing I can say about Guilds limited is "better than it looks on paper".

I like RNA quite a bit, since the potential for nonsense is high. Hell, if it is open, a nonsense deck is the best choice.

Wonder if they'll ever do an integrated "full block" packs thing on Arena or MODO. Having all the guilds around could be fun, but saddling RNA green with Guilds green could be a drag too.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the most important thing to remember about RNA is that ill-gotten inheritance is much, much, much better than it looks

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Seb Mckinnon's got a Kickstarter for limited playmats. I kind of want a Growth Spiral one but it's $55. Canadian.

• Options
    Modern-focused product announcement at 2PM PST this afternoon:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    The new product is a brand new set called "Modern Horizons." It will consist of brand new cards and reprints of cards that are "too powerful for Standard but not yet in Modern." The set is not Standard legal at all. Built to be draftable, comes out June 14th, prerelease is draft instead of sealed.

254 cards + buy-a-box (which is a reprint)

Not on Arena, coming to MTGO for $6.99/pack (no MSRP for paper per new policy)

Preview Cards:
    y5shi45j2qd0.png

I'll update this post as more info comes out.

jgeis on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I dunno

But I am interested to see what they think is too powerful for a standard format but not modern

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I think it's interesting to make a Modern-focused set because it changes a lot of design considerations but I'd have liked to see some reprints of Modern staples that are getting pricey.

I've updated my initial post with the first preview card and I'll keep adding more to the spoiler as they're revealed.

jgeis on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    printing new/Legacy cards into Modern while skipping Standard... interesting

I mean, I'm fine if that means we don't get another Core Set 2019, i.e. a set peppered with limited-unplayable rares aimed at maybe doing something in Modern.

edit: Cabal Therapist is a pretty cool callback.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    53287825_10157642949229881_5860367254872391680_n.png?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.fna&oh=c2d0fd6408c6f33108671c3ea88a4ac7&oe=5CE31914

serra confirmed walker and still alive

oooohhhh baby

• Options
    Actually I'll just link to the digital card images when the official spoiler goes up, but they just revealed a Serra planeswalker that's a 4-drop with 4 loyalty and -3: Make a Serra Angel

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Note that this set isn't contemporaneous with the ongoing storyline, it jumps around and grabs stuff from all over Magic's history. So Serra is not explicitly still alive.

jgeis on
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Note that this set isn't contemporaneous with the ongoing storyline, it jumps around and grabs stuff from all over Magic's history. So Serra is not explicitly still alive.

don't take this away from me

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I dunno

But I am interested to see what they think is too powerful for a standard format but not modern

Is it a power-level thing? I'm honestly not sure, still trying to wrap my head around it.

IIRC they've said that they don't like balancing Standard cards for modern; they try to shape power levels to the Standard environment and then adjust Modern if necessary. Obv I doubt they'd knowingly let something through that would be fine in standard but break modern in half (cough Treasure Cruise/Dig), but they seem fine printing cards that at least match modern-playable cards in terms of power, otherwise Modern would be pretty much stagnant.

The one power-level area that I could see being a stark contrast between standard and modern is cards with older abilities that break their more recent soft design rules. Stuff like protection from colors, or mana-free repeatable sacrifice outlets, or cheap creatures with full hexproof. Those abilities already exist in modern and there's still plenty of design space there, but they've shied away from them in standard.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    GP Seattle, DC, and Copenhagen are going to be Modern Horizons limited format. Some events "after that" will be Modern to highlight the format.

• Options
    the Worship emblem is a nice touch, though that's a pretty narrow plus ability

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Probably why they made it a +2 so you can pop the Worship the next turn.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I dunno

Slivers all the way down.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    GP Seattle, DC, and Copenhagen are going to be Modern Horizons limited format. Some events "after that" will be Modern to highlight the format.

I might have to check out GPDC then.

Unless they put it out by Dulles again, they shouldn't be allowed to call that DC.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Huh. guess that's a good reason to hit up GP seattle

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

I might have to check out GPDC then.

Unless they put it out by Dulles again, they shouldn't be allowed to call that DC.

I just checked the CFB Events website...

I'm sorry

• Options
    monsters!

in other news, full Serra art

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I love Planeswalkers and I love that Serra art

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    serra was around during the urza cycle right? did she get killed during that?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I would not mind seeing that planeswalker in standard, lore be dammed. It's a sweet walker without being over powered and the art is gorgeous.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    Korror wrote: »
    I would not mind seeing that planeswalker in standard, lore be dammed. It's a sweet walker without being over powered and the art is gorgeous.

that is definitely incredibly powerful for standard

• Options
    that being said, we have one of the best 3 walkers ever printed in standard right now so what the fuck do I know

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    A Serra Angel on turn 4 is alone like, fringe-of-fringe playable (being slightly worse than Aurelia/Seraph of the Scales, which are fringe playable); putting that on a Walker that also has the flexibility to completely lock most decks out of ever winning if you can slam her with protection T4 is a very, very scary card for Standard.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah Serra's emblem + a hexproof creature means if your opponent doesn't have a board wipe or eldest reborn handy you basically can't lose in standard. Just don't block and you're golden.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Yeah Serra's emblem + a hexproof creature means if your opponent doesn't have a board wipe or eldest reborn handy you basically can't lose in standard. Just don't block and you're golden.

Note that the emblem, like actual Worship, only prevents damage from killing you. The good news is that life loss still gets around it. The bad news is that a lot of black effects that used to cause life loss (in older sets) now cause damage. Still plenty of effects that can work, though. Especially if you're running Vampires.

• Options
    plus do control decks care about damage? Teferi et al would still work.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Later on.

She created her plane (which looked dope) out of pure white mana with special mirrors that allowed her an omnipotent view of everything that happened there.
    oiagbjv7m0qw.png

Urza arrived there after being attacked by Phyrexians and was treated/healed then leaves, fearing that they will follow him however the Phyrexians had already infiltrated the plane behind him, tainting it with black mana in the process.

Serra gathered the populace that wanted to leave and fled the plane leaving one of her archangels, Radiant to look after it. However Radiant was herself corrupted by the Phyrexians and begins to go mad while her legions of angels start slaughtering the remaining populace. She attacks Urza when he returns on hearing what is happening and almost kills him.

Urza survives, loads more refugees onto the Weatherlight then collapses the plane and directs the energies into the Weatherlight, which lets it jump between planes.

Serra if I recall correctly wanders around for a while, meets Feroz the planeswalker and they create a shield that prevents other planeswalkers from entering the plane. They beat up on Baron Sengir and his vampires to protect the populace of the realm. Feroz dies and Serra is heartbroken, fleeing then hiding her identity before eventually being stabbed to death by a thief. Not wanting to live without Feroz does not heal herself and dies.

Kelor on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    laaaaaaaaaaaaame

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I didn't really have beef with Wilderness Reclamation until playing against 5 temur control decks in a row

Now you can just ban that shit

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Speaking of MtG story I learned how original Mirrodin block's story ended last night and I'm mad.
    The heroic goblin character gives up his artificial planeswalker spark to bring everyone that Memnarch kidnapped back to life and return them to their home planes .

He then climbs out of the big bad's lair and is immediately ripped to pieces by a group of goblins that exiled him way back and just happened to be there.

Sad trombone music sting plays.

What a stupid gotcha ending. Kinda glad that place got phyrexia-d now.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Kelor wrote: »

Later on.

She created her plane (which looked dope) out of pure white mana with special mirrors that allowed her an omnipotent view of everything that happened there.
    oiagbjv7m0qw.png

Urza arrived there after being attacked by Phyrexians and was treated/healed then leaves, fearing that they will follow him however the Phyrexians had already infiltrated the plane behind him, tainting it with black mana in the process.

Serra gathered the populace that wanted to leave and fled the plane leaving one of her archangels, Radiant to look after it. However Radiant was herself corrupted by the Phyrexians and begins to go mad while her legions of angels start slaughtering the remaining populace. She attacks Urza when he returns on hearing what is happening and almost kills him.

Urza survives, loads more refugees onto the Weatherlight then collapses the plane and directs the energies into the Weatherlight, which lets it jump between planes.

Serra if I recall correctly wanders around for a while, meets Feroz the planeswalker and they create a shield that prevents other planeswalkers from entering the plane. They beat up on Baron Sengir and his vampires to protect the populace of the realm. Feroz dies and Serra is heartbroken, fleeing then hiding her identity before eventually being stabbed to death by a thief. Not wanting to live without Feroz does not heal herself and dies.

I remember Radiant vs. Serra being some of the cooler story-flavor text in Urza-block

Image.ashx?multiverseid=5702&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=21143&type=card

This discussion has been closed.