As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Modern Horizons spoilers happening now!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    serra was around during the urza cycle right? did she get killed during that?

Later on.

She created her plane (which looked dope) out of pure white mana with special mirrors that allowed her an omnipotent view of everything that happened there.
    oiagbjv7m0qw.png

Urza arrived there after being attacked by Phyrexians and was treated/healed then leaves, fearing that they will follow him however the Phyrexians had already infiltrated the plane behind him, tainting it with black mana in the process.

Serra gathered the populace that wanted to leave and fled the plane leaving one of her archangels, Radiant to look after it. However Radiant was herself corrupted by the Phyrexians and begins to go mad while her legions of angels start slaughtering the remaining populace. She attacks Urza when he returns on hearing what is happening and almost kills him.

Urza survives, loads more refugees onto the Weatherlight then collapses the plane and directs the energies into the Weatherlight, which lets it jump between planes.

Serra if I recall correctly wanders around for a while, meets Feroz the planeswalker and they create a shield that prevents other planeswalkers from entering the plane. They beat up on Baron Sengir and his vampires to protect the populace of the realm. Feroz dies and Serra is heartbroken, fleeing then hiding her identity before eventually being stabbed to death by a thief. Not wanting to live without Feroz does not heal herself and dies.

I remember Radiant vs. Serra being some of the cooler story-flavor text in Urza-block

Image.ashx?multiverseid=5702&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=21143&type=card

Image.ashx?multiverseid=12365&type=card

planar collapse was one of my favorites back then for being a board wipe i had (in the era of "i literally only know about the cards in front of me") and for sounding like such a total end

still maybe my favorite name for a wrath

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    In further non-male MTG news:

She is now the youngest player to ever Day 2 a GP. The previous record-holder was twelve. I think this one will stand damn near forever (EDIT: She is eight).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Playing Combo Elves in Modern, for anyone curious.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Playing Gruul in Arena. Narrowly beat some sort of Dimir disruptive fliers deck game 1 (Kitesail Freebooter, Thief of Sanity, etc). Game 2, they Kitesail Freebooter a hand that's got two kill spells and a Kraul Harpooner in it, then they Unmoored Ego the chainwhirlers I sided out, then they quit because their spirit was broken.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Playing Gruul in Arena. Narrowly beat some sort of Dimir disruptive fliers deck game 1 (Kitesail Freebooter, Thief of Sanity, etc). Game 2, they Kitesail Freebooter a hand that's got two kill spells and a Kraul Harpooner in it, then they Unmoored Ego the chainwhirlers I sided out, then they quit because their spirit was broken.

Bringing in Unmoored Ego against Gruul is... a choice.

Also why name Chainwhirlers when you’re playing a deck with, I’m guessing, zero 1-toughness creatures?

Questions upon questions.

• Options
    When he hit my opener with the pirate, my first thought was "Man, you really don't deserve to get hit with perfect sideboard hate while running a fun brew."

When he cast Unmoored Ego (!) named Chainwhirler (!!!), my thought was "Man, you totally deserved to get hit with sideboard hate, what the hell are you doing.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Played against a fellow with at least 8 planeswalkers in their deck.
    Won the match but it really felt weird to keep seeing how many of those characters kept popping up.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
  • Options

Hmm. Hope it's worth it for their last ever prerelease.

Also that sounds f'n miserable.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The big rumour for a while is that WAR will have a much higher than normal planeswalker count

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    That doesn't make it sound like any less of a miserable limited environment.

• Options
    what if they were all kaya

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kaya has been pulling more weight than expected in Bo1 control, but that's only because the format is utterly infested with one drop creatures.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Kaya's still a lifegain engine that threatens a large blast to the head (and more lifegain) if left unchecked. Even Tibalt can build up to an Insurrection if given enough time, especially if he's just one PW of like three on the other side of the battlefield.

• Options
    Given how good RNA was and how decent GRN was I have a decent amount of faith that they didn’t move forward with the gimmick until they had a plan for it.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I dunno, it's basically Magic's version of Infinity War. And we all know how that went.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    More walkers showing up to kick bolas in the nards sounds cool

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    tibalt

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    They can hit tibalt in the nards too sure

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    More walkers showing up to kick bolas in the nards sounds cool

yeah he literally has ral zarek making a Thousand Year Storm to act specifically as a walker beacon

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    I dunno, it's basically Magic's version of Infinity War. And we all know how that went.

well, the WOTS trailer did have all the candles snuffing out but one...

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Give us a new Koth, Wizards, you fucking cowards.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Wasn't there some speculation that Yawgmoth was involved with Nicol Bolas based on a piece of WotS artwork that got spoiled? The orb above Bolas' head was supposed to be the Immortal Sun but looked like Yawgmoth's mask ala the Apocalypse expansion symbol?

I'm still running with my theory that Urza, whose spark is within Karn, will fully possess Karn and sacrifice many Planeswalkers to destroy Bolas as Urza is known to do. From there I'm not sure if they'll involve Emrakul (she's still in Innistrad's moon waiting for "her time") or New Phyrexia, which is still kinda just hangin' out there.

jgeis on
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    NEW KOTH!!!!!!!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    As an old Canadian I agree! More Kids in the Hall!

(Still all I can see when I see Koth because that's how Kids in the Hall would get listed in the guide.)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    make a dog walker you cowards

• Options
    i would be shocked if urza or yawgmoth was involved in the story

all metrics point to the gatewatch being the most successful story arc wotc has ever done, and they will not sacrifice that in the name of thrusting forward this character that people who were on-boarded as a result of the gatewatch don't recognize

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

all metrics point to the gatewatch being the most successful story arc wotc has ever done, and they will not sacrifice that in the name of thrusting forward this character that people who were on-boarded as a result of the gatewatch don't recognize

By what metric do we determine the success of a story arc?

• Options

Yawgmoth is rad as hell though

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

By what metric do we determine the success of a story arc?

i'm pretty sure wizards determines it by player interaction and market research

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Hmmm, interesting. I figured the only reliable way to track success would be monetary, but I've been slowly losing touch with the groundwork of the game for a while now.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

There's a werewolf and she's good.

All these possible Planeswalker reprints worry me. Is my playset of foil Tibalts about to lose a lot of value? :(:(:(

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »

All these possible Planeswalker reprints worry me. Is my playset of foil Tibalts about to lose a lot of value? :(:(:(

I am not sure you can lose a lot of value from something that has very little value!

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    So. Every prerelease pack has a promo planeswalker.

What if... those plus super rare expedition/masterpiece level Planeswalkers are the only Extra Planeswalkers in the set? Like the expeditions and masterpieces, if you open one in limited, it's legal for that, but not for constructed? That way standard (and modern) aren't effected, prerelease definitely gets the whole 'oh shit so many planeswalkers this is rad' theme, and even if you buy a box there's a chance for a super-neat-limited-edition-art version of an existing walker?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    it would be neat if there were planeswalker masterpieces this set

I could see them downshifting planeswalkers to rare again, at this point everyone knows how they work, it’s not a complicated new mechanic anymore. any lower-than-rare PWs would be wild but also, fuck it, it’s 2019 and everyone’s given up, let’s just get real weird about it

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm not 100% convinced with that speculation tbh (it's just one interpretation of a piece of art), but we did just go back to Dominaria and the story did feature Teferi going out to find artifacts left behind by Urza, plus there was the reformation of the Weatherlight and all that jazz.

Leaving behind artifacts that seem to serve one purpose but actually serve another (like enabling Urza to return) seems like a very Urza thing.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Partner Planeswalkers could be cool. And broken.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    I'm not 100% convinced with that speculation tbh (it's just one interpretation of a piece of art), but we did just go back to Dominaria and the story did feature Teferi going out to find artifacts left behind by Urza, plus there was the reformation of the Weatherlight and all that jazz.

Leaving behind artifacts that seem to serve one purpose but actually serve another (like enabling Urza to return) seems like a very Urza thing.

If Urza comes back in a Standard Legal set, I think it would have to be in a Phyrexia block. I don't think he'd care about fighting Bolas and I think that it would also diminish the hype factor of whatever absurd Bolas card we're almost certainly getting in this set.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

That’s a woof not a bork

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

If Urza comes back in a Standard Legal set, I think it would have to be in a Phyrexia block. I don't think he'd care about fighting Bolas and I think that it would also diminish the hype factor of whatever absurd Bolas card we're almost certainly getting in this set.

yeah the big thing is that it is an extremely natural story resolution to just have them fight, adding any sort of twists about New Characters really fucks with the pacing here in a negative way

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.