As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Mastodon's a band that's probably run it's course for me. I haven't liked anything they've done since Crack the Skye, which is like 10 years old now. Plus, on top of not liking the direction their music has taken, they've moved from fun clubs to amphitheater or arena venues (in my neck of the woods) and ticket prices to see them have skyrocketed. I might listen to whatever music they put out next, but I expect to dislike it.

Oddly enough, they're playing all of Crack the Skye on tour with Coheed and Cambria and Every Time I Die this summer, a lineup which might not appeal to most people here, but I am actually super down for.

As a veteran of a couple of Neverender concerts by C&C and big fan of Crack the Skye, I say, bring it on.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I wasn't a huge fan of the last Every Time I Die album, but "Ebolarama" is an all-time classic song for me and they can really throw down live.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Mastodon's a band that's probably run it's course for me. I haven't liked anything they've done since Crack the Skye, which is like 10 years old now. Plus, on top of not liking the direction their music has taken, they've moved from fun clubs to amphitheater or arena venues (in my neck of the woods) and ticket prices to see them have skyrocketed. I might listen to whatever music they put out next, but I expect to dislike it.

Oddly enough, they're playing all of Crack the Skye on tour with Coheed and Cambria and Every Time I Die this summer, a lineup which might not appeal to most people here, but I am actually super down for.

Coheed and Cambria are another band that have run its course for me as well. As for Mastodon, I did like The Hunter, but Emperor of Sand and Once More 'Round the Sun were... boring? I dunno.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    I liked the last two Mastodon releases quite a bit, both the album and the EP.

Coheed and Cambria I've only recently come around to appreciating, but man I cannot watch their videos because they are awful, and I know yeah most videos are bad but these are just nonsense.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Slugdge's new album Esoteric Malacoloyg quite a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ojl7BzKmE

I guess on paper they're sludge/death metal but there's elemetns of prog and black in there too.

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    It almost feel like a tech death album at points without the blazing speed

• Options
    It's a good one. Most of their stuff is good, they have a nice collection you can buy with the first three Slugdge albums.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I think Darkestrah ran their course for me. The first four albums (Sary Oy, Embrace of Memory, Epos and The Great Silk Road) ranged from pretty stunning to completely stunning, but the latest of those is over a decade old now. Nothing they've done since has stuck with me, and losing Kriegtalith on vocals a couple more records and a few years later deprived them of an incredibly distinctive aspect, both in terms of sound and image. Her replacement, Merkith, is fine, he's okay, but he sounds like a zillion other BM vocalists. Kriegtalith had a unique edge to her vocals - not sure how much of that was down to her being female, but you instantly knew it was her, even with a pretty classic BM rasp. But even the last album and EP with her didn't do a ton for me.

It's a shame to admit they might have run their course for me because I like those earlier albums so, so much.

Jazz on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Man I am LTTP on Slugdge.

I thought they were a particular type of band that they are very much not, and I'm jamming out to Cosmic Cornucopia and man this is fucking good.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Slugdge is great man, glad to see more people getting into them.

• Options
    I for one welcome our benevolent slug overlord

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    New Grand Magus coming out in a couple of months.

https://youtu.be/H8mKbFqGkwU

It sounds a lot like Iron Will, which is perfectly fine in my opinion.

And another video from Unearth's latest album.

https://youtu.be/lzx2AAHC2cA

Which also made me realize that they've been around for 20 years now. Metalcore has 20 year old bands. Sheeit.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Found out about an interesting Post-Black Metal one-man band from Ottawa called Unreqvited. Maybe already posted but if not here's a track from his album of last year:

https://youtu.be/rHeVcCllep4

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    New Grand Magus coming out in a couple of months.

https://youtu.be/H8mKbFqGkwU

It sounds a lot like Iron Will, which is perfectly fine in my opinion.

And another video from Unearth's latest album.

https://youtu.be/lzx2AAHC2cA

Which also made me realize that they've been around for 20 years now. Metalcore has 20 year old bands. Sheeit.

Starkweather was formed in 1989

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular

I just wish they would play live and tour, so I can get in the pit wearing one of these:

51xK9F0aE5L._SY450_.jpg

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I'm a recent convert of Mollusca as well. The more I listen to Slugdge the more I like it.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I feel like the new Gatekeeper EP is just the right length. Long enough for them to show off both the heavy and light portions of their sound, and not so long as to get bogged down with meandering songs going nowhere.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/lament

TOTALED - new black/HC coming on profound lore

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Desc i mentioned them last page

Keep up

(j/k they are great I am excite)

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Desc i mentioned them last page

Keep up

(j/k they are great I am excite)

desc is a time traveller, he posted that from last year

he will have already been ahead of u for 3000 years by next week

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    How dare you vanguard

@Geth set phasers to blastbeat

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I can tell that my neighbors are really going to enjoy the new Misery Index

https://youtu.be/p3eh7uDhg2A

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

I just wish they would play live and tour, so I can get in the pit wearing one of these:

51xK9F0aE5L._SY450_.jpg

If they ever do tour, then I am 100% stealing this idea.

This will definitely one-up the dudes that brought a bunch of blow up saxophones to the Rivers of Nihil gig the other week.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Double posting to move from the unanimous love of Sludge, to the chasmous divisiveness of Deafheaven.

They've put out a single track on bandcamp, Black Brick, that is definitely a return to the sound they forged on Sunbather. It's certainly more of the same on that front, but I for one am certainly pleased.

https://deafheavens.bandcamp.com/album/black-brick

• Options
    edited February 2019
    And if the anticipation is killing you until that Slugdge tour, you can always wear this one around with you while you wait.
    ot7w6ab862cw.jpg

autothrall on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Double posting to move from the unanimous love of Sludge, to the chasmous divisiveness of Deafheaven.

They've put out a single track on bandcamp, Black Brick, that is definitely a return to the sound they forged on Sunbather. It's certainly more of the same on that front, but I for one am certainly pleased.

https://deafheavens.bandcamp.com/album/black-brick

It's fucked up, but I actually like this Deafheaven song.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's always nice to introduce the kids to the classics. New guy at work had never heard of Bolt Thrower. Pointed him to the IVth Crusade and Those Once Loyal and let them work their magic.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Listening to Adrian Smith And Project's Silver and Gold now that it’s been made available to stream, and it’s really scratching an itch. He’s been my fav member of Maiden for a while so getting to hear some more songwriting from him is great. And he’s an awesome vocalist!

edit: Okay I kept listening and it's not incredible, but it's a fine listen if you're into something a bit more hard rock, less metal.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's an agreeable album, if not exactly one that was ever going to set the world on fire. It's got some good stuff on it, and as you say, he's a fantastic singer.

• Options
    It's always nice to introduce the kids to the classics. New guy at work had never heard of Bolt Thrower. Pointed him to the IVth Crusade and Those Once Loyal and let them work their magic.

Yeah, sure, it seems like a good idea now, but what happens next week when he claims your workplace for the Imperium of Man?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »

Yeah, sure, it seems like a good idea now, but what happens next week when he claims your workplace for the Imperium of Man?

Join him and conquer the office across the street.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Are you saying there's something wrong with the Imperium of Man?

The Ministry will cleanse this heresy with fire.

• Options

Are you saying there's something wrong with the Imperium of Man?

The Ministry will cleanse this heresy with fire.

The Emperor Protects, Bitches!

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Just be glad it isn't for Slaanesh, or things could get.... awkward.

• Options

There are worse ways to go than sheer exhaustion while in a 1000 person orgy that lasts for days.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

There are worse ways to go than sheer exhaustion while in a 1000 person orgy that lasts for days.

you had my interest

now you have my attention

• Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    Spotify gets me like no human ever could.
    rc9BwFw.jpg

• Options
    I could see myself dancing to the Utstott, just maybe not for all 11+ minutes.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.