As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    The Great Old Ones album is my favorite pick of that lot.

There are a couple very good tunes on the Alcest but overall I wasn't too into it. Cloak continues to underwhelm me a little, though I love the style they are going for.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah I skipped the physical copy of Cloak but grabbed the digital

Tempter’s Call remains the high point but can’t bridge the gap between tight, almost poppy black n’roll and some of the detours they attempt

Spending more time with The Great Old Ones but the music is big and grand the way this style of black metal should be

Going to give Profetus another shot - funeral doom either lands or it doesn’t (speaking of which my copy of the Shades of Deep Water LP arrived)

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    The Great Old Ones album is my favorite pick of that lot.

There are a couple very good tunes on the Alcest but overall I wasn't too into it. Cloak continues to underwhelm me a little, though I love the style they are going for.

My favorite is Hour of Penance. You can never have enough blast beats. The Cloak is good fluff, something I can play in the background while I'm working and not get distracted by it.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Soilwork put out a new(?) song called "Feverish" which sounds like a Soilwork song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhPFI7ps8n8

They also put out another version of "Stålfågel" from their latest album featuring Alyssa from Arch Enemy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RInY5o7oE

Apparently some people already had this version of the song on the album? I didn't. Weird.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Alissa's buried so far in the mix and is only aping Bjorn, he might have well just doubled up himself, she adds absolutely nothing to that version of the song.

Feverish is a decent track though.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    She adds absolutely nothing to any track she sings on.

Sorry, my cruel dead heart just couldn't resist.

In other news, was doing some landscaping on this lovely autumn day. Borknagar's latest remains perfect for that but then I dropped the latest Crypt Sermon and it crushed me, so damn good and the vocals have so much passion put into them.

autothrall on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    She adds absolutely nothing to any track she sings on.

Sorry, my cruel dead heart just couldn't resist.

You're not far off the mark, and I consider myself a fan.

I don't blame her for wanting to make bank while she can, but 2/3 of her "guest" appearances she's either phoning it in or it could've been done by any session vocalist the record company has on retainer.

She should be putting more effort into her opportunities, because while she was a veteran of the first wave of such vocalists, more and more gals that can switch between harsh and clean on a dime are here and a decent number of them (Adrienne Cowan, Lauren Hart, Tatiana Shmailyuk, et alia) are better than her at one or both.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    To be fair, I'm the dweeb who thinks Arch Enemy should put out a box set with Johan Liiva's vocals added to all their albums since 2001. I wasn't a big fan of Angela either, but she had the benefit of being on at least one of their better albums musically. Even though Liiva is more limited than Alissa, there was just a character in his voice I really loved (in Nonexist and Hearse as well).

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Alissa's buried so far in the mix and is only aping Bjorn, he might have well just doubled up himself, she adds absolutely nothing to that version of the song.

Feverish is a decent track though.

This is the version I had. I mean, its fine.

"Feverish" is a good gym banger.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    awuunzxle854.jpeg

Gauntlets of Maximilian I, circa 1490, in the exhibition “The Last Knight: The Art, Armor, and Ambition of Maximilian I” at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

George Etheredge for The New York Times

• Options
    desc wrote: »

Gauntlets of Maximilian I, circa 1490, in the exhibition “The Last Knight: The Art, Armor, and Ambition of Maximilian I” at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Max was indeed metal as fuck. He wasn't above using martial force when necessary, but he was the best player of intrigue in the game after Louis XI (nicknamed the Spider) of Fance died in 1483. He was able to basically intellectually depants both Henry VIII and Thomas Wollsey and had Francis I of France seeing plots everytime he turn around.

To him, his family were nothing more pawns to consolidate more power. Ir because of his several marriages and his arranging of dozens more amongst his family that the unofficial slogan of Austria/Hapsburg was coined "Let others wage war, whilst you fair Austria, marry. For what Mars grants to others Venus grants to you".

Basically, if you were a European nobel in the late 15th/early 16th century, knowing Maximillian has turned his eye on you or you land, should make you shit yourself worse than playing Civ and learning Shaka has developed nukes.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am at Windhand and Russian Circles

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I am at Windhand and Russian Circles

Nice, I love me some Windhand. Grief's Infernal Flower is my favorite doom album of the last few years.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Because we don't have enough releases out this week, wanted to also call out Mahasamadhi by Selenite. Just solid funeral doom.

• Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular

Happy to report back that I now own these sweatpants 👽

• Options
    Huh, I wasn't even aware The Darkness was still around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ToZnavVFE

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Max was indeed metal as fuck. He wasn't above using martial force when necessary, but he was the best player of intrigue in the game after Louis XI (nicknamed the Spider) of Fance died in 1483. He was able to basically intellectually depants both Henry VIII and Thomas Wollsey and had Francis I of France seeing plots everytime he turn around.

To him, his family were nothing more pawns to consolidate more power. Ir because of his several marriages and his arranging of dozens more amongst his family that the unofficial slogan of Austria/Hapsburg was coined "Let others wage war, whilst you fair Austria, marry. For what Mars grants to others Venus grants to you".

Basically, if you were a European nobel in the late 15th/early 16th century, knowing Maximillian has turned his eye on you or you land, should make you shit yourself worse than playing Civ and learning Shaka has developed nukes.

He was just born too early to build a curated powerhouse of a metal label

• Options
    edited October 2019

He was just born too early to build a curated powerhouse of a metal label

He would do something in the I, Voidhanger space, if alive today.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Alt post: those gauntlets are very “*listens to Diocletian once*”

• Options

I've enjoyed this new album, but then again I usually tend to enjoy their stuff.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

That is some serious album artwork

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    That's a sweet tune. I always had a soft spot for that first album.

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    That's a sweet tune. I always had a soft spot for that first album.

I love pretty much every song on Permission to Land, save I Believe In a Thing Called Love. While working as a level 2 at Target I had to hear that song (along with Snow by RHCP and Hey, Ya by Outkast) 8 times a day on the sizzle reel on the TVs in the electronics section.

Though I did have fun getting a written warning from my boss by singing along to it on the PA system on a lazy afternoon. I still don't know what his problem with it was, I did Justin Hawkins justice.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    quite enjoying cheesy danish prog metal dudes vola

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Depending how he wrote up that warning you might even be able to use it on your resume at other gigs.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I am spinning the new Sunn O))) this morning

It sounds like a Sunn O))) record

Vanguard on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Don't you mean?

I̵̡̱͓͔͖̬͉͖̽̈́͐͆̇̃͗͒̏͘͘t̴̙̩̺͙͂̉̀͒͛͠͠ ̶̜̘̻̬̞̙̭̖̀͐͋̾́̔̽͆̌̑̊̓͠͠͝ş̷̧̡̛̜̝̟̫̮͓͕͍͓̳̜̱̲̘͚̳͒̿̇̃͗̊̅̂̊͊̃̓̀̃͋͘͘͜͜͜͜͝͝͝ọ̶̳̯̟̥̣̣̱̟̤̫̥̅̀̿͌̓̾̇ͅù̵͙͉̖̙̊͆͑͑̔̐̄̉͘̚̚ǹ̸͓̳͌̌͆̉d̶̫̳́̅̆̃̐̍͗͗͐̿̇̑̑̿̔̃͘ͅs̸̡͇̠̣͔͓̟̱͔̦̀̽͜͝͝͝͝ͅ ̵̧̜̱̮̥͓͍̱͙͗̅̾̏̑͛͊̃̈́͝ḽ̶̢̖̜̰̳͙̹̫͕̝͚̦̼͎̘̓́̓͌̐i̸̛͎͋̏̐̾͆̃̎̃̂̂ķ̵̨̨̢̛̳̫̣̜̗̪̗͍̟̬̺̱͔̳̍ȩ̷͈̰̻̘̹͍̙̜̦̝̟͓̟͖͐͒͜͜͜ ̵̡̙͎͍͚̼̄̃̊̈̅̑̚͠ằ̸̛̫̰̣̱̟̩̣̦̩͙́́͗̒̿̑̿̅͐̎̚͝ ̴̰̘̲͔̍̂̂̑̈́̊̈́̈́͆͑̽̃̓̃͋̓͆͘͘̕Ş̶̧̫̠͚̟̣̼̬̞̳͚̲̙͊̎́͂̇̇̂̋͊̋̃́͊̈́͂͘ų̷̩̹͔̎n̴̨̛̘͚̣̞̦̼̣͔̩̖̮̖̦͚̩͍͖̩̱̆̌̉̌̾̈́̇̾̊̔̈́͒͜͝ ̴̧̭̲̝̜̥̳̦̑̐̒̽̽͋̀̒͌̈́̔͘͠0̸̡̨͈̤̙̪͉͙͈͎̬̤̼͉̻̳̹̝̱͒̈́̄̒̆̈́͐ͅ)̸̱̐́̉̐̊͆̈͂̈́̀͝)̵̨̡͔̦̰̮͉͉̒)̶̬̭͈͔̅͊̽ͅ ̴̧̧̡̬̮͎̻͙̺̰͖͔̣̭͇̼̹͚̟̇̒͐̉̌́͒͛́͋̔͐̾̚̕͜ͅͅr̸̢͔̠̰͉̬̙̝͚̦̗̠̈́͆̃͌͑̀̍̒̐̏̏̂̕͜͝ë̴͉̟̫̺̼̇c̷̗̟̥̪̅̉̾̍̔͊̽̽͆͗̄ȏ̵̧̤̜̺͙̹̔̃̈́͑̔̀̒̂̅̇͐͋̋͠r̷̡̥̗͉̳̯̘̯͓͎̳̬̬͚̲̙̞̳͖̳̙̹̋͌̍̒̑̔̅̀͌̓͑̏̚͘d̶̨̢̹̪͈̞̮̳̩̻̭̾̏.̴̧̢̡̫̪̱̩͖̗̝̯̪͍͓̣̣̯̮̙͙͎̈̇̀̿͂̈̽̑̌͊̌̚ͅ

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Sunn O))) is a mystery to me. I think the first track on the new album is just 10 minutes of a sustained guitar tone. They're basically Lou Reed in a cloak.

• Options
    Sunn O))) is a mystery to me. I think the first track on the new album is just 10 minutes of a sustained guitar tone. They're basically Lou Reed in a cloak.

They’re great but not for everyone for sure. The comparison to Lou Reed is superficial, I think, because Lou Reed made Metal Machine Music to fulfill his contractual obligations to his record label.

Sunn O))) has been making drone for decades so it’s not a put on. I find listening to it really loud and just sitting with the music and your thoughts is the best way to enjoy it. To some, it will feel transcendent. To others, it will just be noise.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    There are few things better than sitting in the backyard, lighting up a joint, and listening to Sunn 0))) while watching the dog run around the yard.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    There are few things better than sitting in the backyard, lighting up a joint, and listening to Sunn 0))) while watching the dog run around the yard.

https://youtu.be/h4rbHLM5NZ0

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

I figure by lunch time the note will change

• Options

All of the new songs are followed by a letter in parenthesis and I’m 90% sure they’re the predominant droning note. So the album has 4 notes.

• Options

All of the new songs are followed by a letter in parenthesis and I’m 90% sure they’re the predominant droning note. So the album has 4 notes.

God help us if they ever discover accidentals. The album would never end.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Whoa whoa let’s not get carried away here

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    having more than one note in ur piece is just a sign u chose a bad note to start with

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    having more than one note in ur piece is just a sign u chose a bad note to start with

Sunn O))) is on a neverending quest to find the brown note.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular

I've seen them live a couple times over the last few years and they bring it.

• Options
    Depending how he wrote up that warning you might even be able to use it on your resume at other gigs.

"Employee demonstrates brief periods of indolence and can be sarcastic to his direct reporters, but possess great tone and control of head voice and can top out at a D6"

~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.