Options

You tube I tube we all tube for [youtube]

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. YouTube is just a platform, and sadly due to the economies of scale it's very difficult to pierce that.

... Until AWS tries. Oh man, if they were to tackle video hosting/streaming, along with content curation... well, we'd be in the hands of another megacorp, but AWS is pretty good about just being a platform... I think.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm not sure what "just being a platform" means in that context?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIxGWterYA
    Jenny Nicholson makes the Avatar theme park sound really racist in that way where the creators half tried to make it not racist and didn't think of the unfortunate implications of what they were doing.

You are a tourist visiting Pandora using a Not Evil company. There are no Navi dressup people in it so you get a ton of people explaining how the Navi who are not there are totally fine with tourists and treating their culture as a tourist attraction. Rides have stories like going on a tourist excursion that is completing the important rite where you ride one of those dragon things using an avatar because there are no real world parallels with doing an important ritual that another culture has as a tourist just looking for a nice thrill. They are getting ??? in return for this. This all comes off as the sort of thing that receives a huge amount of criticism when it actually happens in real life and often considered kind of racist if not done extremely carefully.

Couscous on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    New Tier Zoo! (Content Warning, horse with broken leg in the first minute or so)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-XHao1YH9w

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Doesn't H3H3 joke (or maybe it's his fans and they just feature it) about his wife being either A) his sister B) a man C) a terrorist?

I feel like I remember reading and/or seeing those at different times

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Jenny Nicholson makes the Avatar theme park sound really racist in that way where the creators half tried to make it not racist and didn't think of the unfortunate implications of what they were doing.

You are a tourist visiting Pandora using a Not Evil company. There are no Navi dressup people in it so you get a ton of people explaining how the Navi who are not there are totally fine with tourists and treating their culture as a tourist attraction. They are getting ??? in return for this.

Utterly unsurprised

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah. YouTube is just a platform, and sadly due to the economies of scale it's very difficult to pierce that.

... Until AWS tries. Oh man, if they were to tackle video hosting/streaming, along with content curation... well, we'd be in the hands of another megacorp, but AWS is pretty good about just being a platform... I think.

They can (and have) curate their content. They can (and have, for others) ban these douches. That they choose not to makes them part of the problem.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    The bigot Pewdiepie mentioned and linked to says a video was late because he feared Youtube would get mad at him for using a nickname based on a racial slur for L in the Netflix movie so he had to change it.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/youtubes-biggest-personality-promoted-an-anti-semite/
    In the video description of the Death Note video essay Kjellberg promoted, E;R posts: “The truth about why this took so long is because I thought it was so funny to call Black L “Niglet” throughout all my recordings (obviously because it’s an ingenious pun on Lawliet [pronounced Law-let]). I eventually got it through my thick fucking skull that YouTube’s looking for A N Y reason, so I redid all the audio to erase my speech crime, but then I got bored and put the project on pause.”
    Just admitting that should be grounds for getting banned from a site.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F3YlSWQ3hg

The NBA is the greatest sporting league on the planet

the airball 3 made me actually snort laughing irl

reality has perfect comedic timing sometimes.

my favorite thing is hearing people in the crowd obviously just turnin the air blue like right next to a microphone

that out of bounds pass and there's this voice that you can't quiiiite make out but you absolutely know is spewing filth

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I still like baseball more for producing wacky-ass moments.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I still like baseball more for producing wacky-ass moments.

a bird exploded

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Utterly unsurprised

I guess Disney was just being true to the source material.

• Options
    The bigot Pewdiepie mentioned and linked to says a video was late because he feared Youtube would get mad at him for using a nickname based on a racial slur for L in the Netflix movie so he had to change it.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/youtubes-biggest-personality-promoted-an-anti-semite/
    In the video description of the Death Note video essay Kjellberg promoted, E;R posts: “The truth about why this took so long is because I thought it was so funny to call Black L “Niglet” throughout all my recordings (obviously because it’s an ingenious pun on Lawliet [pronounced Law-let]). I eventually got it through my thick fucking skull that YouTube’s looking for A N Y reason, so I redid all the audio to erase my speech crime, but then I got bored and put the project on pause.”

That pun doesn't even work

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I mean, it's just the filmiest of excuses to provide his defenders with something to defend him with, so they can all pretend that he isn't actually a racist piece of shit.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

You are a tourist visiting Pandora using a Not Evil company. There are no Navi dressup people in it so you get a ton of people explaining how the Navi who are not there are totally fine with tourists and treating their culture as a tourist attraction. Rides have stories like going on a tourist excursion that is completing the important rite where you ride one of those dragon things using an avatar because there are no real world parallels with doing an important ritual that another culture has as a tourist just looking for a nice thrill. They are getting ??? in return for this. This all comes off as the sort of thing that receives a huge amount of criticism when it actually happens in real life and often considered kind of racist if not done extremely carefully.

I guess the obvious alternative is to have an animatronic indigenous navi telling you how it's okay to appropriate their culture and use their rituals as a tourist attraction.

Maybe it's just not the kind of thing you want an attraction for?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm watching it now and it's hilarious and baffling that they'd even make an Avatar theme park attraction. It's such a bad idea for so many reasons.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I mean, it's just the filmiest of excuses to provide his defenders with something to defend him with, so they can all pretend that he isn't actually a racist piece of shit.

I don't even...understand why you would verbalize this at all. Just say it's late! That's all there is to say! Hey guys, it's late, thanks for your patience.

It's one of the biggest self owns I've ever seen????

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    It's not a self own because his fans are also racist and are just gonna be mad at the SJWs running YouTube that he can't say the funny joke where he calls the character a slur.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Yeah it's only a self-own if being racist isn't part of his brand, and being racist is absolutely part of his brand.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    He's just sick of people injecting their politics into his racial slurs

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I guess the obvious alternative is to have an animatronic indigenous navi telling you how it's okay to appropriate their culture and use their rituals as a tourist attraction.

Maybe it's just not the kind of thing you want an attraction for?

Well an attraction that lets people pretend they're on the avatar world doing avatar things is what people have been clamoring for but that framing device is garbage for sure

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I want an algorothmically generated Youtube Rewind. Just a horrific Deep Mind neural network generated series of phrases and images loosely based on inputting your preferred creators. Rainbow Hbomberguy with skulls on every inch of exposed skin saying not-words in a combination of Lindsay Ellis and Dan Olson's "reading dumb internet comments" voiced.

I just want YouTube rewind to have an tiktok ad every 10 senconds, cos that would sum up Youtube this year for me.

• Options
    Imagine any other broadcaster in the world keeping a neo nazi around just because they got good ratings.

Like even Fox would boot Hannity if he was dumb enough to openly endorse a white suprema- aah I bet this has already happened I feel like a fool already

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Imagine any other broadcaster in the world keeping a neo nazi around just because they got good ratings.

Like even Fox would boot Hannity if he was dumb enough to openly endorse a white suprema- aah I bet this has already happened I feel like a fool already

Even if Hannity hasn't, Tucker Carlson has.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

I am not Athenor and do not presume to speak for them, but my impression is that unlike, say, most television channels, which have very specific "brands" that flow through most/all of the media they present, YouTube is "just a platform" for uploading videos. Anyone can upload a video to YouTube. That's the premise. There is no unifying theme. It's just... whatever people collectively choose to put on it. So trying to put a "face" on YouTube by means of the YouTube Rewind is somewhat of a fool's errand.

Just my take on it.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

I am not Athenor and do not presume to speak for them, but my impression is that unlike, say, most television channels, which have very specific "brands" that flow through most/all of the media they present, YouTube is "just a platform" for uploading videos. Anyone can upload a video to YouTube. That's the premise. There is no unifying theme. It's just... whatever people collectively choose to put on it. So trying to put a "face" on YouTube by means of the YouTube Rewind is somewhat of a fool's errand.

Just my take on it.

This is pretty accurate! Google is trying to have its cake and eat it too, providing a platform anyone can upload to but automating curation and moderation... Which is a fool's errand. My understanding (and I may be COMPLETELY wrong here) is that AWS just provides infrastructure and a platform to host whatever apps on it, so if Amazon could provide a video streaming platform very much like YouTube. Or, they could curate it to a degree - a smaller population, human moderation, all the rest. But if AWS just wanted to provide the hosting site, they are pretty good at that and can run with Google.

I openly admit I'm completely off-base... but in my mind, google wants to sell advertising, Amazon wants to sell goods. Selling goods requires a good reputation (usually... I'm looking at you, Valve), so if they were to offer a YouTube like service, it would be aimed at selling more goods, and thus they'd want to retain a good reputation.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I remember thinking that Skibidi was too self consciously zany and clearly a cynical grab for "isn't this zany?!?!??!" youtube fame and oh look, 93 million views go and sit down Tube.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    "No one has lost any money underestimating the intelligence of the american human public." - Buckminster Fuller, probably.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If you have a bit, overdo that bit, you are leaving money on the table if you moderate your bit

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I remember thinking that Skibidi was too self consciously zany and clearly a cynical grab for "isn't this zany?!?!??!" youtube fame and oh look, 93 million views go and sit down Tube.
    All I know is that this dumb song is probably going to be stuck in my head tomorrow. Then Im going to come home and watch again :rotate:

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    This is not a pleasant video, it's quite disturbing to watch.
    But I think it's still valuable to watch and learn about.
    Force fed to be fat: Some Mauritanian communities believe that the fatter girls look the wealthier and more attractive they appear to men. Sahar Zand meets the families force feeding their young girls a 9,000 calorie-a-day diet during a brutal "feeding season" in Mauritania. Growing up in a poor country, that's going through a devastating drought, means that marrying well is crucial and mothers believe getting fat will increase the chances of a happy union.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM2q7XFOOgg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

The bit where he's walking down the road trying to drink the vodka always makes me laugh.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    https://youtu.be/MmKROQJDh3s

mods please change my name to I'm Zeus, The Mighty Boss Of Olympus!

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    How did you find that

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    How did you find that

I think by searching on Albino Blacksheep in 2006.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    So the Pandora thing is basically:
    tumblr_ltl61u25341qdtnubo1_500.png?1319497595

This discussion has been closed.