As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Cost of gems is too damn high I think. Or the events are. $10-13 per traditional draft/sealed for a digital CCG seems a bit much. This isn't a paper TCG. The gold one seems reasonable because you can cover the cost of it 2-3 times a week for free.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Have we had Momir before? That seems interesting, but also like a trap to get me to burn gold preexpac

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    It's been done many times before on arena and comes and goes. It's fun to do every once in a while if you're bored. Just don't spend too much gold on it because it's just a luck based format or who ever gets their 9cmc Zacama out first pretty much ends up winning most of the time.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Wow, guess I'm bad at Rivals of Ixalan.

Forgot to screenshot it, but I had a blue-black value-control-ascend deck with Tetzimoc, Immortal Sun, three good removal spells and 3 deathtouch creatures (2 of the 2/4s, one poisoner) which I'm counting as sort of removal. Some draw, a recover. Three Sailor of Means (maybe too much?). Reasonable curve. Splashing the blue-white griffin uncommon, and the black-green plant guy off all my treasure. Two of the four mana horse, which turns out to be really good..

Went 1-3 and also never ever drew the Immortal Sun.

Think my main problems were not enough flying, and no board sweepers (died to some go wide strategies).

On the plus side, I got a bunch of usable rares and uncommons? And even the ones I lost were pretty fun games with lots of back-and-forth and tough decisions.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I did one of those drafts last night and went 0-3 with a white black deck. It had a shitload of removal but probably too many 2 and 3 drops. I also had that enchant that lets you exile stuff which is a really great card and I never saw it any of my games. Well, I did see it game one, but it was my opponent's and it killed me.

Then I drafted again and got to 5-0 before I had to go to bed so uh white/black is still good I guess.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    yeah sadly a standard only momir pool is not great.

Is it dropping Amonkhet creatures?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    cindervines_it_png_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Whenever an opponent casts a non-creature spell, deal 1 damage to that player.

1: Sacrifice this enchantment, destroy target artifact or enchantment. Deal 2 damage to that permanent's owner.

Get hyped! I hope this is played 4x in every deck until it rotates. This is probably good against everything even burn, as long as you are playing those colors.

furbat on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    guildpactwindow.jpg
    Multicolored creatures you control get +1/+1

well that ain't bad. Works well with Gruul and all their multi colour tokens, and it's damn cheap.

oh yeah and I hear spirits are a thing...

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    furbat wrote: »

1: Sacrifice this enchantment, destroy target artifact or enchantment. Deal 2 damage to that permanent's owner.

Get hyped! I hope this is played 4x in every deck until it rotates. This is probably good against everything even burn, as long as you are playing those colors.

This seems fine but not particularly awesome? Better against control decks/burn, not so great against aggro.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Being good against burn is dependent on them relying on frenzy or the new rakdos enchantment for gas. Yeah, the damage doesn't mater. I want to make a deck that runs those and the explore package and then enough card draw to get into them.

furbat on
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

If G/R has any kind of deck (and it should with the support it's getting), I'd think this is a main deck card. It hits treasure maps, eldest reborn, search for azcanta, conclave tribunal, seal away, experimental frenzy, pings a drake player for 6-7 over the course of a game and I think all the decks in the meta play at least one of those. It's best against control obviously but it's not completely dead in other matchups so that you can afford to have it in the main deck.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    If you have 2 of these in play against RDW and they can't control the board you could just race them in burn lol. That's not why the card is good though.

It hits all the enchantment removal. It's good against control. As gruul you can run the explore package against burn... It's going to be a good midrange deck. The big weakness I see is card advantage.

furbat on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Revival%2B%252F%252F%2BRevenge%2B%255BRNA%255D.jpg

hmmmm

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Finally, some delicious burn.

DwemhluWwAAMBBf.jpg

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    ALso a kind of White/Blue disinformation campaign that makes Addendum make a little more sense

Dovin%2527s%2BAcuity%2B%255BRNA%255D.jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    That's one's interesting. I like that it's not tied to a keyword like Disinformation Campaign is, so it has a bit more staying power in other formats.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The one big question this upcoming set leaves me with is, why would anyone ever go to a Rakdos show?

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    The one big question this upcoming set leaves me with is, why would anyone ever go to a Rakdos show?

I mean obviously you've never been to one

I have a fucking season pass

• Options
    Yeah the sorc speed lightning bolt for R is going to be insane.

I think light up the stage + theater + rix maddi is going to let you have some insane turns. You can have a deck with 12 lightning bolts.

• Options
    Rix Maadi doesn't seem good enough. It only Revels if you pay 4. The 2/2 Haste for RB that can sacrifice creatures on upkeep to deal damage is better.

12 lightning bolts is stretching it - Wizard's Lightning is supported by 2 creatures (so 8) that either deck would play, and Skewer the Audience requires creatures on board with no blockers, or other cheap burn in hand. It's going to fire off a lot for R, but not as much as some people seem to think.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    priestofforgottengods.jpg

oooh me like

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I think you are underestimating rix maadi. She let's you cycle a card for 2 and best case draws you 3. I guess it all depends on spectacle.

furbat on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    MaRo confirms that yes, Teysa works with death triggers, as she is clearly intended to do.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/181874862323/can-you-confirm-that-teysa-karlov-works-with

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ALso a kind of White/Blue disinformation campaign that makes Addendum make a little more sense

Dovin%2527s%2BAcuity%2B%255BRNA%255D.jpg

I want to draft this badly.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I think this might be the best set of ICRs I've gotten yet. Certainly better than the triple mythic with 2 copies of Boneyard Parely I got last week. This is the second muldrotha I've gotten this week too. I got my first copy of that card yesterday. I wanted all 3 of these cards. I'm still missing a ton of the rare lands right now.

0wxmtdktty19.gif

ICRs continue to be the best thing ever.

furbat on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Yeah, but the magic devs need to break it down and explain how that interaction works.
    Just saying it does without explanation doesn't help everyone who doesn't track the convoluted:
    Creature dies -> Dies trigger goes back in time -> Dies trigger triggers -> Tesya modifies trigger before the time warp finishes, which is when the permanent is still in play

• Options
    Except the majority of people also aren't thinking in depth about that and just think "permanent dies with death trigger, so they happen twice" because that's the intuitive view.

It talks a weird half understanding of the rules to find it unintuitive, where you get that cards aren't permanents when dead but don't get last known info rules amd can't derive them from most cards triggering their own death trigger

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I still rather think the ability is too wordy and should refer to 'a triggered ability you control'.
    So it's not about what the card should do, but why the card is mentioning the state of the permanent at all if it's not intending to limit the ability based on that.

Because the thing that confused me is that you don't control a dead permanent.
    But they are trying to limit the ability from duplicating the opponent's triggers too, so...

discrider on
  • Options
    just think of it as a coroutine, when death is triggered there's a lot of things that occur in a stack, some simultaneously, but the last thing is that it moves to the grave from play so the move from Battlefield to Grave doesn't interrupt any of the other effects.

• Options
    incubationdruid.jpg

Oh god this is terrifying

• Options
    New Horizons in a dedicated ramp deck with this guy is some sort of line.

T2 elf, t3 new horizons and another 3 drop, t4 play an 8 drop.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I think you are underestimating rix maadi. She let's you cycle a card for 2 and best case draws you 3. I guess it all depends on spectacle.

Rix Maadi Reveler just straight up draws you a card if you're empty handed. I just don't think that's powerful enough in itself when you have Sword Point and Risk Factor right there, and much better aggressive 2-drops that have a more relevant effect than loot.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    incubationdruid.jpg

that'll be glorious in my Elfball deck

heck under good circumstances it can already drop Ghaltha turn 5 or 6

• Options
    Kay wrote: »

Rix Maadi Reveler just straight up draws you a card if you're empty handed. I just don't think that's powerful enough in itself when you have Sword Point and Risk Factor right there, and much better aggressive 2-drops that have a more relevant effect than loot.

The question is, if spectacle focused decks running light up the stage, rix maadi, and possibly the new enchantment work over sword point. Risk factor probably makes the cut no mater what.

• Options
    incubationdruid.jpg

Ghalta on T5 or T6 is kinda... slow? Like, T1 Elf, T2 Steel Leaf, T3 any 3 power 2-drop is ez T3 Ghalta, and T4 isn't much harder.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    incubationdruid.jpg

Does elfball place +1/+1 counters though? Or are you talking about adapting it?

furbat on
  • Options
    Rix Maadi Reveler's best shot is being in a mono-red aggro deck that's splashing black for her spectacle and maybe one other card. I don't think she fits the burn gameplan particularly well but she's solid in aggro.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    tomeoftheguildpact.jpg

noice

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Blorp

milski on