As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Endaro wrote: »
    Is this the right place to ask about monitors? I did a quick search and didn't see a better dedicated thread.

I'm looking to replace my old monitor but am a bit overwhelmed by the options. It will be used for both work/internet browsing and gaming; the games themselves include shooters (Overwatch) and a lot of strategy games, indie games, and classics. Everyone seems to be in to 1440p 144hz ips monitors these days, but I'm currently running a 970 and am not confident I could run everything at 1440p. Also, there's a lot of talk about upscaling 1080p content to 1440 looking like crap, and I intend to keep playing games mostly at 1080.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be a lot of options in the 1080p range without sacrificing something, and I'm not sure what to cut. 144hz and Gsync seem like a great feature for my online shooters, but image quality boosts like resolution or ips screens seem like a great thing for everything else. There are a lot of 1440p monitors with high refresh rates, g sync, and nice image quality all together, but basically none down in the 1080p range.

Is the upscaling issue much ado about nothing? Would I be better off getting everything in a 1440p package, or should I stick to 1080p tn's and just look to increase hz?

I have a 1440p display and run the odd demanding thing at 1080p (notably Ghost Recon: Wildlands which is a real resource hog). Personally I think the upscaling issue is indeed much ado about nothing, but in fairness that's on a 17" laptop screen. On a bigger monitor it's certainly possible it may jump out a bit more with the bigger dot pitch. But IMO it's really no worse than, say, running a game at 900p (1600x900) on a 1080p display. Give that a try on your existing setup with a couple of games and see what you think, that'll probably give you a good idea as to whether it'll bug you or not. It is a YMMV thing, really.

Gsync is really nice, especially if you're not 100% nailing your monitor's refresh rate (which of course is more likely the higher rate you have). But that comes down to what you play. Overwatch may well be able to stay consistently at a high framerate on your 970 (you'd know that better than me but IIRC it's not a particularly demanding game on hardware), and your other listed preferences are probably less framerate dependent. If you also play more demanding online shooters where your framerate is more likely to dip, Gsync will be a very, very nice feature to have.

Jazz on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Well, I was seriously debating getting a GTX 1080ti to tide me over for one more generation, but prices are going back up again on them and they are now within a few hundred bucks of the 2080/tis. Might as well just spend the difference to get the luke-warm hotness. If I was buying one for BF what is the best 2080ti with the best price that I can get?

Which of these would be the best card/deal?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 601321570 4023 4084&IsNodeId=1&Description=rtx 2080 ti&name=Desktop Graphics Cards&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

If you know of a better card/deal elsewhere let me know.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Well, I was seriously debating getting a GTX 1080ti to tide me over for one more generation, but prices are going back up again on them and they are now within a few hundred bucks of the 2080/tis. Might as well just spend the difference to get the luke-warm hotness. If I was buying one for BF what is the best 2080ti with the best price that I can get?

Which of these would be the best card/deal?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 601321570 4023 4084&IsNodeId=1&Description=rtx 2080 ti&name=Desktop Graphics Cards&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

If you know of a better card/deal elsewhere let me know.

I'm partial to EVGA because previously they had one of the better warranties. Now, I think all the manufacturers are closer to parity. Just based on my personal experience, I'd rank them this way:
    1. EVGA
    2. ASUS
    3. GIGABYTE <=> MSI
    4. ZOTAC
    5. PNY

Again, just so we're clear, the difference between EVGA and PNY is relatively miniscule and you'll have similar performance from each manufacturer.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Endaro wrote: »
    Is this the right place to ask about monitors? I did a quick search and didn't see a better dedicated thread.

I'm looking to replace my old monitor but am a bit overwhelmed by the options. It will be used for both work/internet browsing and gaming; the games themselves include shooters (Overwatch) and a lot of strategy games, indie games, and classics. Everyone seems to be in to 1440p 144hz ips monitors these days, but I'm currently running a 970 and am not confident I could run everything at 1440p. Also, there's a lot of talk about upscaling 1080p content to 1440 looking like crap, and I intend to keep playing games mostly at 1080.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be a lot of options in the 1080p range without sacrificing something, and I'm not sure what to cut. 144hz and Gsync seem like a great feature for my online shooters, but image quality boosts like resolution or ips screens seem like a great thing for everything else. There are a lot of 1440p monitors with high refresh rates, g sync, and nice image quality all together, but basically none down in the 1080p range.

Is the upscaling issue much ado about nothing? Would I be better off getting everything in a 1440p package, or should I stick to 1080p tn's and just look to increase hz?

Upscaling is...something you may or may not see. I have a 2160p monitor, which obviously I can lower to 1440p if circumstances warranted it (more likely, on games like Overwatch where timing is pretty damn crucial, I use adaptive resolutions to 90 or 80%), and personally I found the rough halving of pixels more noticeable than the "imperfect ratio" downscaling, especially with modern titles.

So I'd recommend pretty much what I always do: if you have any means to, try looking at some monitors in person. Even a poorly configured monitor at a big box retailer can tell you something a 6-page tech review won't necessarily. Of course, not everyone has that option, but if you can by all means do so.

Though one thing I'll point out: yes, a GTX 970 isn't going to handle 1440p "perfectly". It will output it, obviously, but be prepared for some compromises (lowering shadow quality, turning of SSAO, etc.). And that's at 60 FPS (in other words, the cap for a 60 hz monitor). Above 60 FPS....you're going to run into issues. I have more than a sneaking feeling most people who use 144 hz monitors are shooting for 100 FPS or something a lot more attainable than 144 FPS. There are +60 hz 1080p monitors out there, though they are rare, but at the same time a GTX 970 is more of a "no (or few) compromises 1080p GPU", especially this many years into new games since its release. And it does that very well. But substantially over 60 FPS? You're going to hit a ceiling pretty quickly, depending on your CPU, etc., of course. Assuming you have no immediate plans to replace it, which is certainly possible given current prices, a 1080p monitor with higher refresh rates might serve you much better (or "more realistically"), assuming it's cheaper.

GSync can help with that, but it's worth noting that it amounts to a "GSync tax" (irritating enough...this is why my current monitor as Freesync, which is by and large free) added to the cost. Additionally, it's not a complete replacement for low framerates by any means, which become a lot more likely when you practically double your pixel count from 1080p to 1440p.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    If anyone is looking for an alternative to the 1070Ti or 1080, you can grab a Vega 64 for $340 on eBay right now thanks to a coupon code.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12308479-sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-64-requires-ebay-app-340

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    It's a fricken blower.

Could someone tell me about the non-MSI midtier X470s?

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If you're in North America, EVGA is California base, unlike some of its competitors. GIGABYTE, for example, is Taiwanese.

I think EVGA's US customer service is actually pretty good by the abysmal standards of GPU manufacturers, though not necessarily good enough to justify spending a whole lot more. My last few GPUs have been EVGA going back to the "flat profile" 8800GT, and I haven't seen a reason to change.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814137339

This is the one I think I'll go with. Thumbs up?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    My eyes are watering at that number.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I personally wouldn't pay any money for a 2080ti until the issues with it are sorted out. I'd at least give it a few weeks to months until all the cards/board that have issues are either replaced or no longer part of any stores stock.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are there similar issues seen in the RTX 2070 cards as well? I am considering an upgrade soon (currently have a GTX 960, so it will be a giant upgrade regardless) and it seems that the $500-550 range has RTX2070 and GTX1080 which perform about the same in benchmarks. On one hand, I would think the newer thing would be a foregone conclusion for any rad new features it supports, but the 1080 has been a workhorse for awhile and kinks have been worked out.

• Options
    Purchase has been made. Feel a little sick spending that much on a graphics card and monitor at once, but I won't be making any more major purchases for a while. This is actually the first new graphics card I've bought since the GTX 460 or 465. Since then it has all been used and second hand graphics cards.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    LD50 wrote: »
    It's not the ram slots, it's the motherboard itself. It's an issue I've seen before with ASrock boards of a particular generation. The "Sometimes it even turns itself on." is the big indicator.

Huh, I have this problem too and sure enough an ASrock anniversary board. It doesn't turn itself off thankfully but it does randomly power on in the middle of the night occasionally.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It's not the ram slots, it's the motherboard itself. It's an issue I've seen before with ASrock boards of a particular generation. The "Sometimes it even turns itself on." is the big indicator.

Huh, I have this problem too and sure enough an ASrock anniversary board. It doesn't turn itself off thankfully but it does randomly power on in the middle of the night occasionally.

The problem gets worse over time. You might want to look into getting a new mobo.

• Options
    it's infrequent enough for me that it's not a problem, maybe once every few months I'll notice it spin up while I'm going to sleep.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    it's infrequent enough for me that it's not a problem, maybe once every few months I'll notice it spin up while I'm going to sleep.

I mean, eventually it will stop working entirely.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Are there similar issues seen in the RTX 2070 cards as well? I am considering an upgrade soon (currently have a GTX 960, so it will be a giant upgrade regardless) and it seems that the $500-550 range has RTX2070 and GTX1080 which perform about the same in benchmarks. On one hand, I would think the newer thing would be a foregone conclusion for any rad new features it supports, but the 1080 has been a workhorse for awhile and kinks have been worked out.

The exact same failure mode has been spotted, but at lesser rates.

BTW, someone punched the dimensions of the Turing die into this:https://caly-technologies.com/die-yield-calculator/

Apparently, the yields would be shameful; this would fit with the symptoms, as apparently bad heat patterns has been ruled out. They've pushed out a bunch of dies that would be shitcanned if the defect rate was better, I wager. We've got a bunch of bad silicon, as nothing, no cooling solution, seems to be safe.

Also, that pull of the 2080ti and return on nVidia's website wasn't suspicious at all, no siree.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options

like how eventually are we talking here? with or without any prior worsening of symptoms?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

like how eventually are we talking here? with or without any prior worsening of symptoms?

It's been well over a year since I've dealt with one, so my memory is a bit sketchy, but it seems like the problems go from 'it turns itself on in the middle of the night once in a blue moon' to 'does not turn on' pretty quickly.

IMO replace the mainboard sooner rather than later, because finding a new board for an old chipset only gets harder as time goes on.

Also, check if it is under warranty. Asrock was really good about replacing them when I was dealing with them.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Decided to drop a discounted pre-order on the Watercool Heatkiller IV GPU block and backplate for my 2080Ti.

Not quite sure when it will get to me, but I'm excited to finally transition to a genuine full loop.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Picked up a new PSU since my current one is a no name brand 600w.

Amazon had it for $99

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTni-Vfrf9c&amp;t=28s

Steve breaks down the Walmart gaming PC and it's just a load of hilarity.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

I'm not at the "computer won't turn on" phase but my computer is basically unreliable, especially for anything important so I can't use it for work at all. I just ordered this Mobo from eBay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ASUS-Z97-A-Motherboard-Intel-Z97-LGA-1150-DDR3-DVI-HDMI-VGA-USB3-1-ATX-/273231296279?txnId=2075900221017

And like ld50 said, the longer you wait, the harder it will be too find the replacement part and likely more expensive. You could be good for another year or two but it's impossible to tell. So if it works well enough right now, and you are planning to upgrade in a year, you could probably wait. I've been dealing with the problem for probably 2 years and only recently has it become so bad that I can't really use the PC anymore. But I figure the CPU still has some decent life left and could definitely function as a second machine for years so I've opted to replace the mobo for now (though I'm still waiting for it to be delivered) even if in likely to you're in a year or two.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

Bitwit did a brief video basing his assumptions only on pictures, and while entertaining I can't wait to see what Steven has to say since he actually has the PC to examine.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options

Heh, he's got the same sort of phone case as me - mine's just for a different phone and it's the blue one rather than his silver, but they do those for a bunch of phones. :)

As for the computer itself... oh dear :lol:

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    They cheaped out where those guys suspected but I thi think the model mixup is probably genuinely an accident

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    They cheaped out where those guys suspected but I thi think the model mixup is probably genuinely an accident

Probably.

But everything else? Man I can't even find that ADATA SSD on their page.

I'm willing to bet that build he had didn't break 1k in cost.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

Probably.

But everything else? Man I can't even find that ADATA SSD on their page.

I'm willing to bet that build he had didn't break 1k in cost.

Especially since apparently the only "name brand" components in it were the graphics card, CPU and the (skimped on) mobo.

• Options
    He wrote an article on it, too. The drive is basically a wholesale SKU.

They hot glued the damn USB 3 connector, and then the connector was run to an add-in card with a port on the back.

Most of the article was spent criticizing the motherboard choice; which was monumentally dumb.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Mugsley wrote: »
    He wrote an article on it, too. The drive is basically a wholesale SKU.

They hot glued the damn USB 3 connector, and then the connector was run to an add-in card with a port on the back.

Most of the article was spent criticizing the motherboard choice; which was monumentally dumb.

Wait, it was dumb to criticize it so much or it was dumb as a choice for $1,400+ machines?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Dumb as a choice. Basically, if the builders went up to just a (iirc) B350 board instead of a H350, they could have gotten better or similar features (i.e. better PCI-E lane management, actual USB3, higher RAM frequency support) for a minimal cost bump (like under 5%)

I probably got the chipset number wrong.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-final-fantasy-xv-benchmark-result-spotted

Someone's found a 2060 benchmark.

My suspicion is that the 2060 will lack raytracing, but will have Tensor, as the ML-driven optimization will let it punch above it's weight.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Dumb as a choice. Basically, if the builders went up to just a (iirc) B350 board instead of a H350, they could have gotten better or similar features (i.e. better PCI-E lane management, actual USB3, higher RAM frequency support) for a minimal cost bump (like under 5%)

I probably got the chipset number wrong.

Yeah but they're thinking absolute bottom end for everything. It's the Wal Mart Way. I don't think anyone who made this monstrosity gives a shit about PCI-E lanes, RAID arrays, or quality as a general thing.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Couple comments:
    • for 25 minutes of bashing he didn't have that many discrete complaints
    • I'd like to know more about the PSU; I don't trust OEMs. Great Wall can make good PSUs, but I don't know that they only make good PSUs if you know what I'm saying.
    • With all the bashing of the motherboard, why not more bashing on the airflow in the case? Given the non-stock coolers on the CPU and GPU I'm not too worried about them. I am concerned however about the RAM, motherboard VRMs, etc when it's 90 degrees in your room 'cuz it's summer and you're running everything flat out.
    • This is why I build my own. :P

• Options
    oof there's not many LGA1150 socket motherboards left in newegg's listings, they all look kinda shady cheap "for cryptocurrency mining" or are being sold at ridiculous markups.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    So I may have pulled the trigger and ordered a Noctua D15 AM4 edition with chromax fans and heatsink cover.

The 30AUD discount code from Newegg was too tempting for me to pass.

It's major overkill for the intended build I plan to do next year when Zen 2 comes out, but those chromax parts just look so damn nice!

I'm aware Noctua are releasing the new updated U12S next year that's supposed to be on par with the existing d15, but since Noctua has been very tight lipped about the actual release date and if they'd even be releasing updated chromax accessories for it, I didn't want to risk waiting for nothing.

2019 is when I want to upgrade and I'd rather not wait until 2020 to potentially remove some brown fans.

My only regret will be that due to the size of this cooler, any ram I get will be completely covered unless I position one fan in the back.

On the bright side, the total cost plus shipping ended up being about 54AUD cheaper on Newegg than what I would have paid at my local computer store.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Snagged one of these Intel 545s SSD's. I kind of expect it to blow up for that price.

5 year warranty seems worth the risk, though.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Orca wrote: »
    Couple comments:
    • for 25 minutes of bashing he didn't have that many discrete complaints
    • I'd like to know more about the PSU; I don't trust OEMs. Great Wall can make good PSUs, but I don't know that they only make good PSUs if you know what I'm saying.
    • With all the bashing of the motherboard, why not more bashing on the airflow in the case? Given the non-stock coolers on the CPU and GPU I'm not too worried about them. I am concerned however about the RAM, motherboard VRMs, etc when it's 90 degrees in your room 'cuz it's summer and you're running everything flat out.
    • This is why I build my own. :P

I mean the general overall complaint is "You should be getting more for $1,400+" and the additional bit of hinting that this thing is a predatory attempt to lure people in who don't know made it really stick with me.

Because it absolutely is a predatory attempt to sucker people in to this high margin low cost POS.

There's also the lack of real I/O (A $1,400+ PC should have a ton of USB3.0 and USB-C ports!), lack of upgradeability, lack of real quality parts, lack of anything!

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    @Heatwave you can also get vinyl dye if you just want to color the game yourself.

• Options
    Oh that's great, due to the October Windows update getting repeatedly pulled I literally can't activate ray tracing in Battlefield 5 on my new RTX 2080 ti because it's a mandatory pre-requisite.

This discussion has been closed.