As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Oh man, they should do a Princess Bride style intro to the game where some old is telling his grand kid about the early days of the apocalypse then you play the game in a flashback and at the end you leave the room and see all the ramifications of your actions.

"That's not how the story goes! There's no way the hero sold the entire town out to slavers and then nuked the slavers!"
    "I don't remember saying 'Hero' "

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    "Resetting" the West just sounds stupid to me. The NCR is exactly the sort of thing humanity would put together in that situation, it should be in that space. The world being forever condemned to the same purely chaotic Wasteland would have absolutely zero appeal to me, worldwide civilization would return to the setting within at least a couple hundred years of the events of New Vegas.

If they feel a need for telling a story in a space not already occupied, just go to another damned continent already.

And yet war, war never changes.

The B.O.M.B. was never meant to reset absolutely everything built since the bombs fell, but it was meant to puncture the idea of truly "safe" places. You get hints of that in Vegas. That the Cloud will one day escape the Sierra Madre, that the tunnelers will break into the Mohave and cause chaos, that old nuclear silos will power on if someone accidently gets the wrong piece of technology into just the wrong place...

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The existence of the NCR is interesting to me. Plenty of story telling oppurtunities.

Typically when it comes to post-apoclypse stuff it is either Mad Max anarchy or it is post-post-apocalypse and the Old World has become the myths and legends of new civilizations.

Here we have a functioning 20th century-ish equivalent nation (with some extra retrotech here and there) that knows good goddamn well where it came from. It is civilization in a sea of madness. A growing nation that wishes to expand, but everywhere they can expand to is full of nightmare.

"We have opened the Pacific Northwest to settlement! Every family can claim 10 acres of land for free, provided you can survive the cannibal beatniks!"

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The existence of the NCR is interesting to me. Plenty of story telling oppurtunities.

Typically when it comes to post-apoclypse stuff it is either Mad Max anarchy or it is post-post-apocalypse and the Old World has become the myths and legends of new civilizations.

Here we have a functioning 20th century-ish equivalent nation (with some extra retrotech here and there) that knows good goddamn well where it came from. It is civilization in a sea of madness. A growing nation that wishes to expand, but everywhere they can expand to is full of nightmare.

"We have opened the Pacific Northwest to settlement! Every family can claim 10 acres of land for free, provided you can survive the cannibal beatniks!"

You mean the Khans. Again.
    (per one of the NV options that doesn't have them stick around and get screwed by the NCR, the Legion, or both)

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 10
    "Resetting" the West just sounds stupid to me. The NCR is exactly the sort of thing humanity would put together in that situation, it should be in that space. The world being forever condemned to the same purely chaotic Wasteland would have absolutely zero appeal to me, worldwide civilization would return to the setting within at least a couple hundred years of the events of New Vegas.

If they feel a need for telling a story in a space not already occupied, just go to another damned continent already.

Or if you want to tell a story in the immediate aftermath of the apocalypse, before some form of civilization rises again, stop advancing the fucking timeline and just put [the story] where it fits.

Getting to be a ghoul would be a fucking awesome way to do that. Instead of the usual Vault Dweller start, they start you off rushing you to a Vault but the door seals as the bombs fall. You see the bombs, then wake up the next day as a ghoul. The bomb craters are still hot and burning when you start the full game.

It would be a pretty neat swing for the franchise. Everything outside of bomb blasts would be basically brand-new instead of rusted-out crap. Radiation would be good for you instead of kill you. Smoothskins would be trying to kill you on sight, not knowing yet that ghouls can be regular people. You could come across the first Supermutants appearing, plus deal with mutations too vicious or unique to manage surviving as a species. Could do bucketloads of the classic Fallout stuff yet still have it all completely new and without tripping over the stories from the other games.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

Or if you want to tell a story in the immediate aftermath of the apocalypse, before some form of civilization rises again, stop advancing the fucking timeline and just put [the story] where it fits.

Getting to be a ghoul would be a fucking awesome way to do that. Instead of the usual Vault Dweller start, they start you off rushing you to a Vault but the door seals as the bombs fall. You see the bombs, then wake up the next day as a ghoul. The bomb craters are still hot and burning when you start the full game.

It would be a pretty neat swing for the franchise. Everything outside of bomb blasts would be basically brand-new instead of rusted-out crap. Radiation would be good for you instead of kill you. Smoothskins would be trying to kill you on sight, not knowing yet that ghouls can be regular people. You could come across the first Supermutants appearing, plus deal with mutations too vicious or unique to manage surviving as a species. Could do bucketloads of the classic Fallout stuff yet still have it all completely new and without tripping over the stories from the other games.

They could always do a Cyberpunk and give you multiple lifepaths.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I had an idea where the intro is you're raiding a vault, and the choices of what you grab/ how you get in and out kind dictate perks, SPECIAL and background.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 10

If they really wanted to make me happy, they'd figure out a way so that you actually live out a couple centuries of time during the campaign. So you get to watch the world end, the decay of what remains, what seems like a world condemned to radioactive chaos, then the signs of civilization beginning to return. You've got the immortality so many would have killed for but the world has ended. What are you going to do with the centuries?
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I had an idea where the intro is you're raiding a vault, and the choices of what you grab/ how you get in and out kind dictate perks, SPECIAL and background.

The Vaults are all experiments anyway so whose to say there isn't a Vault designed to just randomly let somebody in and give them an assortment of cool shit before kicking them out? Like it's a literally a whole vault except only with bots. You break in, it asks you some questions, then locks the door with you inside. The bots teach you stuff until you successfully pass the tests, you get a pile of gear, and the Vault lets you back out. So your background is Wastelander, but you really did spend time in a Vault and get Vault Dweller stuff. It could give you a bot assistant as well, with the idea being that it's monitoring what you do to record the results for study. And of course you can kill the bot, but it just makes a note and sends a replacement that eventually finds you.

Like a whole My Fair Lady thing, except insane and post-apocalyptic.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    I suppose part of the issue with making your protagonist anything but someone who's lived in a hole in the ground their whole life is that having no knowledge of the outside world makes it so much easier to justify exposition dumps. A ghoul who's been around for centuries would be tricky to put into that role, although I suppose if you're to borrow another idea from up thread, heading with the NCR into the Pacific Northwest as a colonist then it could justify you not being familiar with the area, even if you have three lifetimes of knowledge under your belt. Although then again, you'd be a ghoul who's been really slacking off to not have at least 75 skill in everything if you'd been around that long. There's always the New Vegas excuse of amnesia bullets, but I'm not sure you can get away with using that particular excuse twice.

• Options
    There's also the Fallout 2 option, where you grew up in the ass end of nowhere southern Oregon, like I did. ;)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/s5p-Vv6Cm5U?si=3q2FxLJP6YwDjky5

The Japanese version of the trailer has some different interesting shots (seemingly to show less violence) and the translated comments are point.

pvy6oow7amyw.jpeg

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I wonder if they’ll announce anything about that rumoured fallout 3 remaster soon cos of the show?

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 14
    Anyone have this on their radar?

Fallout London looks pretty cool, full conversion F4 mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PuzpblWpVM

Supposed to come out April 22nd.

I'm quite into the idea. Mind the Gap.

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    If the NCR is doomed to fall, never forget they made their shots count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH8jOVJJx4Q

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

what do they mean by cells?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

what do they mean by cells?

Bestheda's engine divides the world up into units called "cells" to reduce memory load. Any time you go through a door and there's a loading screen, that's a different cell. Outdoors it happens to but it's a bit more seamless.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    https://fallout-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Far_Harbor:_A_Size_Comparison

This has an explanation of relative sizes between Bethesda games (barrring Starfield)

• Options
    so did anyone watch the fallout show yet?
    Good? Bad? Thoughts?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Good? Bad? Thoughts?
    Doesn't air until April 11th.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Good? Bad? Thoughts?
    Doesn't air until April 11th.

oh god damn it! I thought it was this week...

• Options
    Good? Bad? Thoughts?

War. War never changes.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Bones Coffee did a Fallout collab. They're a bit pricey for my budget but they're one of the better flavored coffee companies IMO. I spent an unadvisable amount but their limited edition stuff does go pretty fast and almost never comes back.

xnvj2gra5h32.jpg

https://www.bonescoffee.com/pages/fallout

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Christ, Expeditions are a buggy mess.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 4
    I was kind of hoping there would be some info released about the fallout 3 remaster by now, at least to coincide with the show. Also they’d be stupid to not also remaster new Vegas

Prohass on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Well, this is unexpected. The Fallout series is releasing today instead of Thursday.
    Variety wrote:
    Prime Video has announced that “Fallout,” adapted from the retro-futuristic video game franchise of the same name, will premiere all eight episodes on April 10 at 6 p.m. PT. The special release includes a live global fan premiere of the first episode, where viewers worldwide can choose their faction and interact with other fans via a live chat function.[/url]

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    for fucks sake

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Reviewers are dropping.

IGN give it a 9

https://www.ign.com/articles/fallout-season-1-review-amazon-prime-video

Eurogamer give it 4 out of 5

https://www.eurogamer.net/fallout-review

I haven't read all the reviews so can't say if there's spoilers in them etc.

Telegraph 4 out of 5

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2024/04/10/fallout-amazon-prime-video-review-jonathan-
    nolan-vault/

Forbes:
    I am happy to report that as a game, as a fan of the series, I thought it was excellent. I’ve seen all eight episodes and my appreciation for the series only grew in time. The trailers made it look like they just might manage to pull it off, and I think they did.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/04/10/fallout-review-amazon-prime-video-i-have-some-good-news/?sh=58deefa75d5b

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So excited, not reading reviews want to go in blanked. But HYPPPPEEEEEEE

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I’ve been avoiding spoilers as well, though one non-spoiler review from a redditor said that the showrunner apparently took the Bloody Mess perk.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

I’ve been avoiding spoilers as well, though one non-spoiler review from a redditor said that the showrunner apparently took the Bloody Mess perk.

If someone gets their whole side blown off like that one FO1 sprite, I will clap like a seal.

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Well its amazon the studio that allowed a gigangitic cock exist and then explode.

Trailer spoiler

Hell in one of the trailers we see some dismemberment and a rather large hole blown through someone

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Mostly done with the first episode. It's amazing how the writing and acting is arguably better than Fallout series deserves while also being the most Fallout thing ever when the action pops off.

• Options
    Ep 3 has a very meta golden rule of the wasteland.
    "Thou shalt get sidetracked by bullshit every goddamn time."

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    near the end of ep 2.

I expected this show to be shit on shit. Somehow it's incredibly more impressive than I thought it could possibly be.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    This show is running the Pip-Boy Flashlight mod.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    This show is running the Pip-Boy Flashlight mod.

That was my one canon gripe so far. Pip-Boy flashlights are supposed to be useless!

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    People seem to be really liking the show...except for a certain timeline issue.
    Removing New Vegas from continuity doesn't not reak of pettiness, whatever the actual motivation behind it might be.

• Options
    So major huge mega spoiler from the show that I can't recall was in the games yet.

I swear its been implied vaultec helped cause Armageddon but never outright stated before.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    People seem to be really liking the show...except for a certain timeline issue.
    Removing New Vegas from continuity doesn't not reak of pettiness, whatever the actual motivation behind it might be.

There is no timeline issue.
    The events mentioned don't actually retcon New Vegas. And from what I can tell the timeline diagram itself that is the basis for these complaints is being deliberately misread just to be angry about something.

The diagram gives the date of the "fall" of Shady Sands. But it also has the nuke as an undated future event on the timeline. They are not the same event just by the design of the diagram, therefore there's no real timeline issue. Additionally, "fall" in such context would not refer to destruction, but in the way of societal or government decline like "the fall of Rome", which people try to assign a date to retroactively, but there was never a hard date of it and it occured over a period of time.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.