As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    This is my surprised face
    A senior Conservative, who was not authorized to speak for attribution, said the snafu is apparently the result of the government not wanting to pay too much for the stickers and seeking a lowball bidder.

The very existence of the stickers should be a massive scandal. It's a disgusting use of government funds purely for party propaganda.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Wow, the NDP aren't even running a candidate in my riding. Well, I guess I'm voting Green then?

Make sure you research your specific Green candidate if you're thinking of voting for them. May has made it clear that the Greens aren't going to be using the whip on most issues, meaning you can't take any position for granted (aside from being environmentalist). For example, while the Greens aren't separatists they are running Pierre Nantel (who is).

I mean, here's my choices:

https://www.calgaryelectioncandidates.com/federal-election-calgary-centre-2019

The green candidate doesn't seem bad from a preliminary look but I haven't done too much digging.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    This is my surprised face
    A senior Conservative, who was not authorized to speak for attribution, said the snafu is apparently the result of the government not wanting to pay too much for the stickers and seeking a lowball bidder.

The very existence of the stickers should be a massive scandal. It's a disgusting use of government funds purely for party propaganda.

I think it was already discussed in this thread, but even the Financial Post ran an article a week or two ago about how the Ford government is poised to spend something like 6+ billion more this year than the Liberal's tabled budget. That's despite the massive cuts to like everything.

I'm really disappointed that this wasn't made a bigger story. They're spending money like crazy, and we're getting less than what we had before. It's madness.

Of course, I'm pretty sure Post Media will still endorse the Conservatives forever.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Wow, the NDP aren't even running a candidate in my riding. Well, I guess I'm voting Green then?

Make sure you research your specific Green candidate if you're thinking of voting for them. May has made it clear that the Greens aren't going to be using the whip on most issues, meaning you can't take any position for granted (aside from being environmentalist). For example, while the Greens aren't separatists they are running Pierre Nantel (who is).

The green candidate doesn't seem bad from a preliminary look but I haven't done too much digging.

I’m still going to vote for Hehr.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

He's been gross with two women I know.

I want the liberals to win so bad but that would be a no-go for me if he was my MLA.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »

He's been gross with two women I know.

I want the liberals to win so bad but that would be a no-go for me if he was my MLA.

I totally understand

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Wasn't there some sort of scandal where Rob Ford got his official city hall business cards printed by the family company for double what the city-negotiated vendor was charging?

Here we go

Excerpt:
    "Mayor Rob Ford has outsourced the printing of business cards for himself and his staff to his family’s printing company, billing taxpayers up to four times as much per card as councillors who have them printed by the city."

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Well this might suck:
    A senior member of the RCMP has been arrested and charged under the Security of Information Act, CBC News has learned.

Cameron Ortis — a civilian member of the force with expertise in East Asian affairs, critical infrastructure and the use of "bots" — faces three charges under the rarely used law which deal with communicating or confirming special operational information. He's expected to appear in an Ottawa courtroom this afternoon.

. . .

A source tells CBC News that because Ortis' work was so central to national security, federal departments across government are conducting in-house damage assessments in the wake of his arrest. Sources also say multiple security agencies were involved with the arrest.

Ortis was charged under a section of the Security of Information Act that applies to individuals "permanently bound to secrecy" as a condition of their work — which strongly suggests he had access to top secret material.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Well this might suck:
    A senior member of the RCMP has been arrested and charged under the Security of Information Act, CBC News has learned.

Cameron Ortis — a civilian member of the force with expertise in East Asian affairs, critical infrastructure and the use of "bots" — faces three charges under the rarely used law which deal with communicating or confirming special operational information. He's expected to appear in an Ottawa courtroom this afternoon.

. . .

A source tells CBC News that because Ortis' work was so central to national security, federal departments across government are conducting in-house damage assessments in the wake of his arrest. Sources also say multiple security agencies were involved with the arrest.

Ortis was charged under a section of the Security of Information Act that applies to individuals "permanently bound to secrecy" as a condition of their work — which strongly suggests he had access to top secret material.

So he's being charged with spying, basically.

• Options
    I mean, yeah, but "some guy is charged with spying" and "director general of intelligence is charged with spying" are two fairly different things.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I mean, yeah, but "some guy is charged with spying" and "director general of intelligence is charged with spying" are two fairly different things.

I more meant in the sense that the article talks about what he's being charge with in a very legalese-way that somewhat obscures the specific thing going on. Like colloquially that's what you or I would say but that's not what the actual real charge is.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    It could also mean leaking info to the press.

• Options
    Blarghy wrote: »
    It could also mean leaking info to the press.

Hmm, good point.

• Options
    A press leak wouldn't have half the government doing a damage control scramble and involve multiple security organizations. Two of the charges are specifically about foreign states.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

Thanks for this.

Reading the macleans one and it looks like NDP is out with a lot more detail than anyone else but the cons have some stuff in there.
    Liberals sections are almost all blank hah. Early days.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I've started seeing this fake looking letter from Andrew Sheer, dated August 26, circulating on facebook claiming that Trudeau is planning on implementing a capital gains tax on the sale of people's primary residences. A quick google search shows nothing about this. Anyone know anything more?

• Options
    If I see something political bouncing around as a Facebook post rather than a link to something off-site, I assume it's a lie until something else confirms it.

• Options
    I've started seeing this fake looking letter from Andrew Sheer, dated August 26, circulating on facebook claiming that Trudeau is planning on implementing a capital gains tax on the sale of people's primary residences. A quick google search shows nothing about this. Anyone know anything more?

Presumably it's yet another bit of facebook fake news.

Facebook is a disease and it prays mostly on the brains of old people.

Unfortunately, those old fuckers vote.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

I'm seeing Conservative candidates and the main Conservative party twitter have also tweeted that out.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

I'm seeing Conservative candidates and the main Conservative party twitter have also tweeted that out.

If anything, this makes me even more certain it's a fake.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Richy wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »

If anything, this makes me even more certain it's a fake.

It's fake... sorta

Someone at a town hall offered up the idea of taxing capital gains on houses at a sliding scale as a way to prevent house flipping. A Liberal MP wrote it down on a list of suggestions, and the Tories lied about what it was and even what it said.

Edit: I'm not sure if the letter from Andrew Scheer is real or not. The idea first came to light in May, so I don't know if he would've waited three months to write a fundraising letter about it.

CorporateGoon on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Adam Vaughn said on the radio this morning that it was an idea that was bounced around at one point, but was almost immediately discarded.

• Options
    The rich conservative world has been low key panicking about Trudeau increasing Capital Gains for a while now, or at leas that's the impression I get from my rich conservative relatives

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    The rich conservative world has been low key panicking about Trudeau increasing Capital Gains for a while now, or at leas that's the impression I get from my rich conservative relatives

Nothing scares rich conservatives more than the idea that they will stop being rich and they will be treated the way they treat everyone else.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I'm no big fan of Trudeau but one look at Andrew Scheer and I'm thinking this is a fake contest in the Harlem Globetrotters v Washington Generals sense.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Québec being key to the Liberals winning this election, Trudeau taking a stance against Bill 21 is just plain stupid. It's a provincial matter (and Québécois are very much against the Federal stepping into provincial matters), and it's in front of the courts (so nothing to do but let due process happen), and it's a divisive issue (no stance Trudeau can take will satisfy the electorate), and it opens an easy door for Scheer (who can just sit back and do nothing and win votes on this issue, which is what he's doing right now).

He needs to learn to keep his damn mouth shut. This election isn't his to win, it's his to lose, and every time he talks about Bill 21 he takes a step in that direction.

sig.gif
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Yes, God forbid a politician actually shows he has convictions on an issue that would benefit the down trodden in our society.

• Options
    Yes, God forbid a politician actually shows he has convictions on an issue that would benefit the down trodden in our society.

Showing meaningless convictions for the down-trodden and losing the election << winning the election and actually helping the down-trodden.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It's a terrible law that I'm glad he's not supporting

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

And you're not a Québécois swing voter who can make or break this election for the Liberals, so who cares.

Were 2005 and 2016 really not lessons enough on the consequences of thowing away an election to stand on principle? Do you people really need PM Scheer acting as a vassal of Donald Trump to drive the point home?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Gotta agree with Richy on this one. There's literally nothing that Trudeau can do about it, other than generally work to promote inclusivity and bash Islamophobia in other policies.
    Policies that won't be instituted under the Cons.

I'm sure Richy understands Quebecois sentiments better than I do and if he says it's going to lose Trudeau votes than I'd rather he just be quiet about this one issue for the next month.

I know that elections are all about empty promises and meaningless political bluster, but I feel like now's not the time to press this issue.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

And you're not a Québécois swing voter who can make or break this election for the Liberals, so who cares.

Were 2005 and 2016 really not lessons enough on the consequences of thowing away an election to stand on principle? Do you people really need PM Scheer acting as a vassal of Donald Trump to drive the point home?

Wow what a compelling argument

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    It's a pretty damning indictment of Quebec voters that the prime minister taking an open stance against flagrant racism will lose him votes.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The plot thickens.

Global News has learned this op not a stand alone, it's part of a broader intl op to roll up breaches in highly classified information and there is cooperation between Five Eyes and NATO countries. Two sources tell me more arrests are coming in other countries #cdnnatsec #natsec

Mercedes Stephenson is Ottawa Bureau Chief for Global News

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    It's a pretty damning indictment of Quebec voters that the prime minister taking an open stance against flagrant racism will lose him votes.

I agree.

I think Bill 21 is awful and I want it to be struck down yesterday but if that's the attitude of the people who are going to vote then what do you think is more likely: They hear the PM disagreeing with them and change their own views, or they hear the PM disagreeing with them and decide to vote for a more right-wing party.
    Is anyone outside of Quebec suddenly going to support Trudeau because of this?

I don't want to be an end-justifies the means type person, but in the wake of Ford, Boris Johnson, Trump, I don't want to give people a reason to lean to the right.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Gotta agree with Richy on this one. There's literally nothing that Trudeau can do about it, other than generally work to promote inclusivity and bash Islamophobia in other policies.
    Policies that won't be instituted under the Cons.

I'm sure Richy understands Quebecois sentiments better than I do and if he says it's going to lose Trudeau votes than I'd rather he just be quiet about this one issue for the next month.

I know that elections are all about empty promises and meaningless political bluster, but I feel like now's not the time to press this issue.

It's not just me saying it. Even Trudeau's candidates in Québec are saying they'll lose support over this stance. And my Google News election coverage right now is all about how Trudeau is open to challenging Bill 21. It's a pretty big deal.

Right now the Liberals have no path to power that doesn't go through Québec, and Trudeau is willing to cripple his own chances in the province himself by taking a public stance that he cannot enforce (as Bill 21 is outside his jursidiction), that we all know he wouldn't enforce if he could (like he didn't do for electoral reform or the environment), and that quite frankly tells us nothing we didn't already know about him (was anyone under the impression Trudeau was pro-bill-21 before he made it a centre of his campaign a few days ago?). He's just stirring up sentiment against himself for the sake of it, for no political gains whatsoever.

sig.gif
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote: »

No more damning then any other assessment of voters really.

• Options
    Seriously, there's a reason Legault passed Bill 21 in a rush in the first months of his mandate. He knows it's a political grenade - it's the same political grenade that blew up in the PQ's face in 2014 and cost them that election - and now it has his name on it. He wants it to explode as far away from his next campaign as possible. He hopes that, four years from now when he goes for reelection, people will talk about something else, anything else, than a four-year-old law.

And here's Trudeau starting his own campaign by picking up that grenade, striking Legault's name from it and writing his own, pulling the pin, and placing it front-center. He's acting like a fucking idiot.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Legault has been lying to us about how popular the Bill 21 really is and now that actual people are being impacted with the start of the school year opinions might start shifting. Also anybody who supports Bill 21 was not voting Liberal to begin with. Trudeau choosing a position and sticking to it will benefit him in the long term instead of trying to play politics with this one.

I hope Scheer is crazy enough to come out on record as supporting Bill 21.

This discussion has been closed.