As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I'll be at a wedding all day tomorrow - but I'm not in the wedding party, so I'll also have downtime between like 3 pm and 6 pm. SMASH TIME. Love that I can take my Switch.

I did this with the Wii U. Not worth the hassle, no matter how good Zelda was.

You mean our Wii U.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Goddammit, internet.

Don't do this to me. I was just about to buy it on sale off PSN!

Even the rumor is saying is not coming for a while probably... :(
    Yep.

If its fake, I'll miss a good sale waiting on something that might not get announced. If I buy now and it turns out to be true, I'll finish just in time to be burnt out and not want to play the cool new version with fun stuff added.

I can't win.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Without having experience with the earlier games, is UA3 by any chance a viable single-player game?

Absolutely. It won't be as fun, mind you, but it is definitely soloable.

Disagree.

Playing with your friends is certainly a fun time and different kind of experience, but nothing that makes the MUA games enjoyable is lost when only playing solo. The original games, anyway. It's possible they change something up with MUA3, but I doubt it.

You're telling me a 4 player co-op game is less fun (or equal to) playing with friends? ;)

They're not designed solely as co-op games. The MUA games are action RPGs that include the option to play with up to 4 players. You still get a team of 4 heroes, and the game experience doesn't change when you play solo. Obviously if you're playing with your friends and goofing around, there's going to be an added layer of enjoyment.

I only ever played the first two games solo, and loved em. I did play through X-Men Legends with my brother back in the day, which was also great. Outside of arguing who gets to play as who that is :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Hey guys , looked through the first post but didn't see anything
    Looking for some game reqs for my 7 year old.
    He really likes Mario Odyssey and Mariokart.

Has a somewhat low frustration tolerance but is willing to ask for help

we have Mario/Rabbids already but its a bit too hard for him
    He liked Minecraft story mode.

He has been saying he really wants Zelda, but am worried he will get too frustrated with it. Some reviews say its good others make me not so sure. he seems to like the exploring/platforming bits of odyssey but isn't so much a completionist.

Was thinking about Kirby, splatoon, Rayman, maybe Arms

So yea, suggestions?

Katamari Damacy just came out, is only $30, and is perfect for a 7 year old. There is a free demo on the shop.

The plot of the game is that the King of All Cosmos went on a drunken bender and destroyed all the stars in the sky! And you, as his son the Prince, must roll up balls of random junk on Earth to be made into new stars.

You start up rolling up thumbtacks and paperclips, and get bigger and bigger until you are rolling up housecats and parakeets and humans and watermelons and cars.

Great for kids because of the ridiculousness of the premise and people shrieking and running from your giant ball of terror (all presented in an abstract pastel cartoon world).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Without having experience with the earlier games, is UA3 by any chance a viable single-player game?

Absolutely. It won't be as fun, mind you, but it is definitely soloable.

Disagree.

Playing with your friends is certainly a fun time and different kind of experience, but nothing that makes the MUA games enjoyable is lost when only playing solo. The original games, anyway. It's possible they change something up with MUA3, but I doubt it.

You're telling me a 4 player co-op game is less fun (or equal to) playing with friends? ;)

They're not designed solely as co-op games. The MUA games are action RPGs that include the option to play with up to 4 players. You still get a team of 4 heroes, and the game experience doesn't change when you play solo. Obviously if you're playing with your friends and goofing around, there's going to be an added layer of enjoyment.

I only ever played the first two games solo, and loved em. I did play through X-Men Legends with my brother back in the day, which was also great. Outside of arguing who gets to play as who that is :P

That's pretty much what I meant. The games are fine on their own but with a group of friends and some alcohol and they are a goddamn riot.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Does Nintendo still limit the number of times you can play or start a demo? Asking for a friend who can't spend 30 bucks so close to Santa Day.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Does Nintendo still limit the number of times you can play or start a demo? Asking for a friend who can't spend 30 bucks so close to Santa Day.

Not on the Switch as far as I know.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I really really want this to be true. The domain names seem like really good evidence for it being legit.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I've only downloaded the Valkyria Chronicles 4 demo, but that one did not have any kind of limit on how often I could play it.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

I've only downloaded the Valkyria Chronicles 4 demo, but that one did not have any kind of limit on how often I could play it.

It also let's you import your save data from the demo into the full game. I think the demo for Octopath did too? More and more games do that, and it's awesome.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    100% throw your 7 yr old into the deep end of the BotW pool. He can always ask you for help!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    My fondest memory as a kid are having my dad help me with Super Mario Brothers and Super Mario Brothers 3 levels that I found too hard. Like the autoscrollers, and many of the later worlds.

Definitely don't be afraid to throw a kid at a game they can't complete on their own. They'll remember you helping them get passed the hard parts for a lifetime. Especially after you're gone.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    100% throw your 7 yr old into the deep end of the BotW pool. He can always ask you for help!

I feel like if you can approach the game with some patience BotW is a very forgiving game. Like, it's super hard, but there are ways to make it super easy with stuff like cooking and upgraded armor.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular

He has been saying he really wants Zelda, but am worried he will get too frustrated with it. Some reviews say its good others make me not so sure. he seems to like the exploring/platforming bits of odyssey but isn't so much a completionist.

So yea, suggestions?

Katamari Damacy just came out, is only $30, and is perfect for a 7 year old. There is a free demo on the shop.

The plot of the game is that the King of All Cosmos went on a drunken bender and destroyed all the stars in the sky! And you, as his son the Prince, must roll up balls of random junk on Earth to be made into new stars.

You start up rolling up thumbtacks and paperclips, and get bigger and bigger until you are rolling up housecats and parakeets and humans and watermelons and cars.

Great for kids because of the ridiculousness of the premise and people shrieking and running from your giant ball of terror (all presented in an abstract pastel cartoon world).

I totally forgot this just released. It's a great suggestion.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I plan to let my 4yo try it, but as he has trouble steering MarioKart with ONE stick, throwing him two is probably more than he can handle. It will be hilarious tho.

One of his favorite things to do (which I had to ban) was play “Trash House,” where he put every single toy he owned in a huge pile in his playhouse. Massive annoying mess to clean up, but he loved it. Kids, man.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular

So yea, suggestions?

Captain Toad is great. My 5 year old has a little trouble controlling the camera, but I'm sure an older kid or someone who has played some Odyssey could pick it up.

I hear LEGO DC Villains is good. My kids and I have always enjoyed the LEGO games for co-op. The Harry Potter LEGO games got released on Switch if he's into that.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Was thinking of marvel 2 since we played the first on pc together. But my first thought was for things I can't get on pc

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    My 6 year old loves Minecraft Switch, Splatoon 2, and Lego City Undercover (seriously, he will just drive the train around the city forever).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles is sort of like Breath of the Wild except it has no dungeons or enemies or combat. It’s not as polished either. But it’s fun to explore the world and gather materials and do quests.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If your 6 year old kid claims that Breath of the Wild is just too gosh darn hard, then throw Faxanadu and Legacy of the Wizard in their face.

"WELL THAT'S WHAT I HAD TO PLAY WHEN I WAS 6, SO CRY ME A RIVER AND SUCK IT UP!"

I really shouldn't have kids...

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    "This is Space Invaders. It's just like Fortnite in that there are 99 other guys trying to kill you and the goal is to be the last one alive. Except, you can never win, just delay your inevitable demise."

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    bficky wrote: »

So yea, suggestions?

Captain Toad is great. My 5 year old has a little trouble controlling the camera, but I'm sure an older kid or someone who has played some Odyssey could pick it up.

I hear LEGO DC Villains is good. My kids and I have always enjoyed the LEGO games for co-op. The Harry Potter LEGO games got released on Switch if he's into that.

At six and seven I was playing SEGA Master system games - RPGs like Phantasy Star and Ys and side scrolling shoot em ups like Transbot and Zillion 2. I really believe the RPGs I played (both those and the Gold Box D&D games on PC) are why I have such great reading skills. Saying this, getting the SEGA Genesis collection may not be a bad idea. It's over 50 games (most of them amazing) for $30. I have amazing memories watching my dad play the games and learning how to use the game pads etc through doing so and had a great amount of enjoyment in the process.

A 7 year old may be able to read and comprehend more than you think and it will keep him from running out of games to play for some time as well.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    "This is Space Invaders. It's just like Fortnite in that there are 99 other guys trying to kill you and the goal is to be the last one alive. Except, you can never win, just delay your inevitable demise."

Wow, I never realized how much Space Invaders actually teaches children about life.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    My father made me complete Super Mario: The Lost Levels and he made sure to break both my hands before handing me the controller and threatened to throw acid in my face if I lost a life.

Its made me the deformed melting mutant man from Robocop that I am today.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I just bought a Switch tonight.

I linked a Nintendo Account but I realized I don't have a NNID associated with my Nintendo Account. Do I need one of these? I don't see a place to create one or link one on the Switch. Right now I just have my Nintendo Account and Nickname.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I grabbed the Sega collection.

Scrolling through those game's almost brought a tear to my eye it's literally my childhood.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

The original source tweets have been deleted. Also, a couple of months ago, that same guy claimed that Isaac and Geno would be in Smash.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    anyone calling P5 on switch now is just riding the wave of the smash announcement hoping to get lucky

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I mean. It would be extremely stupid for Atlus not to port Persona 5 to the Switch. It would be monumentally stupid. It would be the stupidest. It would be like that guy you know that lives downstairs from you that is stupid. Just stupid.

You hear that, Atlus? You don't want us to think you're stupid. So port the fucker.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Atlus would make all the money in the goddamn world if they could just find someone that could port the modern trilogy of games to PC and other systems.

If its not some weird engine or code issue thing holding it all back, they're fucking nuts not to.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    On the other hand it would be singularly bizarre to have what would ostensibly be a PlayStation exclusive character both showing up in Smash, and Nintendo allowing it to show up in Smash, if there were nothing on the roadmap for the Switch - even if it's not specifically P5.

In any case Atlus is pretty aware of their fanbase, the idea that it not happening somehow being more likely than it happening is seriously underestimating their market savvy.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that I'll be able to uppercut someone in a Smash game while Life Will Change is playing soon.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So I mentioned this in the Smash thread but I thought I'd ask here before taking more drastic steps.

Everything seems fine with my Switch except that it cannot read Gamecube controllers through the adaptor. I tested it extensively at my friend's place last night and the controllers are fine, the adaptor is fine.

His set up registers everything, but as soon as I put my Switch in the dock and went to activate controllers it can no longer read them. So I figure that narrows the problem down to being something to do with the software on my Switch.

I went to reset it to factory settings today and noticed in the warning text that it won't actually rewind the firmware, which is what I think I need to do.

Does anyone know a way to do so or am I going to need to contact Nintendo about this and wait for them to get back to me?

Kelor on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    did you try putting it in all 3 different USB ports? in case it's just one USB port that's bad or something

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    did you try putting it in all 3 different USB ports? in case it's just one USB port that's bad or something

Tried all three USB ports with no luck on mine.

I plugged a GC through the adaptor into his dock and it registered it immediately. Then I plugged in my Switch to the dock and it disappeared.

So while I couldn't borrow his Switch to test in my dock I'm almost certain that the issue lies with my Switch.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

I plugged a GC through the adaptor into his dock and it registered it immediately. Then I plugged in my Switch to the dock and it disappeared.

So while I couldn't borrow his Switch to test in my dock I'm almost certain that the issue lies with my Switch.

This guy with a friend who has a Switch. That is a life I'll never have. I'm a solo-Switcher forever.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »

This guy with a friend who has a Switch. That is a life I'll never have. I'm a solo-Switcher forever.

I've been very fortunate that I've had a group of friends since high school that have mostly stayed in the same geographical area.

We've known each other for about twenty years at this point and made a conscious effort to get together regularly, catch up and play a bunch of games. The boom in local multiplayer indie games over the last five years or so has been really nice.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm on the hunt for a US Switch bundle for my sister since I failed to pick one up during the Black Friday sale. Here's the best one I found so far, but I'm curious if a better one will release next week.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Switch-System-Neon-Blue-Neon-Red-with-Mario-Tennis-Aces-1-2-Switch-HACSKABW1/689961896

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Did they announce anything new about the 2019 Terraria release? I was hunting for news last night, but could only find stuff from August when they showed the video.

Also, what of Starbound?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar