[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Link's Awakening is big goodness but I disapprove of the high saturation and more garish colors. You can make it cute and colorful but it sort of reduces the serenity and atmosphere of the world.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I am personally pretty devastated that the Metroid Prime Trilogy rumor did not pan out. That was essentially the only thing that I was interested in and hopeful for and I’m kind of angry that I let internetters put that hope in my head.

edit: And of course they are releasing the worst Final Fantasy first.

I loved the first continent in IX. It was exactly what I wanted a lighthearted FF game to be like, it oozed personality, had fun fights (the Black Waltz trilogy still remains a highlight), etc.

And then, there were the other three continents, two of which felt like a dare from the developers - "Do you like brown? I bet you do!" All momentum - story, character, design - felt like it ground to a halt after leaving the first continent.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Is the FFIX port the recent updated one or a straight port of the classic one? Anyone happen to know?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    My main question about Link's Awakening is are they going to include the extreme sexual content from the original release?

3tmjOO2.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    A portable, high res FF9 wouldn't be bad.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Astral Chain looks siiiick.

Pretty good overall. Leaker King Zell was right about a lot: Boxboy, Super Mario Maker 2 and a top-down (2D by his definition) Zelda.

edzepp on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I just finished the direct, and am baffled by the amount of downvotes the video is getting, and then see here a lot of griping too.

I don't get it?

It all looked great! Whether <game> was for me or not, pretty much all of it was interesting and good news for the console.

Would I have liked to see announcements of some ports like MP Trilogy or Xenoblade? Sure, but it doesn't make the rest of the showing bad.

I got a firm release date for DQB2, a more specific timeframe for Bloodstained, some other neat announcements (tetris, Mario Maker, DQXI, among others). I'm good!

And Links Awakening looks amazing. I never would have expected an artstyle like that, but it is god damned perfect for the game. Links Awakening is still one of my hands down favorites in the series, and yessiree I will take what they're showing.

Plus, that they showed this stuff doesn't mean they don't have other things to show in the future. It's not all or nothing.

Yeah, there were definitely titles that they showed that were not for me. But, the way I look at it is this:

I really like my Switch. I'm happy that it's doing so well. And, one of the aspects of a console doing so well is the development and release of titles that appeal to different people. So, if things like Rune Factory 4, whatever that Square-Enix game was, and others help people stay interested in the console, so much the better. Because while the big names - Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, Smash - may sell the hardware, it's the rest that keep the console in play (literally).

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yea, I'm tempted. I loved that game but I'm worried I'm too old for grind-y JRPGs and won't have the patience I used to.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Oh Jaysus DQXI is going to have the 16-bit mode from the 3DS? Guess I'm buying the game a second time.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    All the stuff is up on the eshop now im FYI. I'm downloading like 4 things.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Oh my lawd Rune Factory 4 and 5 just hook it to my veins

edited February 2019
    FF9 is one of the best FFs, especially after it helped fix the drop in mechanics/complexity/unique party members from 7 and 8. Felt much more like FF6 with the ability learning system from Tactics. Great characters and story too, and my favorite soundtrack.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »

Too bad we're stuck with smeared, blurry backgrounds.

This is how you high res:

https://youtu.be/y1EbCPTOEis

Granted I'm still probably getting 9 on Switch. But no way I could go back to vanilla 7 now.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    This was a good direct for me. Mildly disappointed at nothing from Monolith (I know XCX isn't going to happen, but...).

Astral Chain looks awesome. Platinum doesn't disappoint on action, so...
    Three Houses hasn't done anything to lose my interest, will be waiting on that eagerly.
    DQXI I might get now with the Switch version.
    Link's Awakening re-remake is gorgeous and another reminder of how much art style matters.

BRB downloading Daemon x Machina prototype.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Eh, people are always salty after a Direct. I guess because they waited so long they're unhappy? I thought it was quite good.

Polaritie wrote: »
    Astral Chain looks awesome. Platinum doesn't disappoint on action, so...

Transformers Devastation being pulled from digital storefronts was a war crime. If anything it should have also gotten a Switch port so I can play portable transformers in perpetuity.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Switch Animal Crossing?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Really wish I didn't have DQXI on PC. Actually, I would buy the Switch version anyway if I wasn't already 30 hours in.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Finally got to watch the direct and holy shit I want all of it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I was kind of surprised by the amount of "and it's available after the direct" going on. Seeing new game footage and getting concrete release dates is fun and all but actually being able to play a game is so much better, and two of those were full games! There was a lot of stuff in here that just straight up did not interest me (I'm looking at you, Disney Tsum Tsum game) and the Fire Emblem stuff was a little disappointing but the stuff mentioned above + Mario Maker 2 and Links Awakening more than made up for it.

Edit: The games from Platinum and the I am Setsuna devs look good too.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ahaha that price for FFIX is a little nuts. $20? That's been on PSN for like, $5 so many times...

What did they do to it I'm missing?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    This confirms that the next version of the switch will be the Switch Color, which will be required to play the color dungeon in Links Awakening.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Oh my lawd Rune Factory 4 and 5 just hook it to my veins

If they would've had information on Animal Crossing Switch as well, this would've made the Direct perfect for me.

Hell, the knowledge that Rune Factory isn't dead might just be all that I needed.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Eh, people are always salty after a Direct. I guess because they waited so long they're unhappy? I thought it was quite good.

I’m only salty because I really fucking want Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Switch. I’d also just like a rumor I actually care about to end up true for once.

I mean my expectations and that situation aren’t really Nintendo’s fault but whatever.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Ahaha that price for FFIX is a little nuts. $20? That's been on PSN for like, $5 so many times...

What did they do to it I'm missing?

Put it on a Nintendo console?

I got nothing.

$20 sounds reasonable to me.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Link’s Awakening does look good but I’m unenthused about playing it again for a reason I can’t really put my finger on. It looks damned pretty, though.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh hey. I have a Switch. Thanks for reminding me Nintendo. I am actually surprised this Links Awakening game isn't a 3DS game. Good on Nintendo.

I just couldn't help but think of all the things I want to see the new take on.

The Trendy Game! The nerd running it! I can't wait.

Photos from the DX version?

Getting labeled "THIEF" for life?!

The incredible music like Sword Search and Tal Tal Heights...Marin's singing, hearing the Ballad played with all actual instruments this time...

The bat demon who curses you with a heavy burden!

Fishing minigame, bomb arrows, chicken lift + hover boomerang!

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    -Super Mario Maker 2
    -Dragon Quest XI with retro mode, orchestrated music, and dual audio
    -Tetris Battle Royale
    -Daemon x Machina demo
    -Final Fantasy IX available now
    -New Platinum game
    -Link's Awakening remake

2019 is going to rule!

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Links Awakening is one of those games that I remember being good but played it long enough ago to where the remake will still feel fresh.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Was FFIX up-res'd or did they port it as-is?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Let's see what else the rumors say!

Looks like the big one is Metroid Prime Trilogy. Supposedly there's also Mario Maker 2, ports of Pikmin 3 and Boxboy, and a new 2D Zelda in the works, but the source isn't sure if any of them will be announced at the direct.

We need more realistic rumors.

Rumor: after a firmware update, if you shake your switch console, bits of candy and/or bacon will fall out.

.....well, fuck

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    kime wrote: »

See for yourself how the razor-sharp characters stand out from the messy backgrounds. (0:18-0:21) Because only fans getting paid nothing can afford to actually remaster games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9GMKshn0Ck

rahkeesh2000 on
    I checked FF9 on the shop and it does have the new features like speed boosters and autosave.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

The character models have been up-ressed, but not the pre-rendered backgrounds, since they apparently didn’t have the originals anymore?

edited February 2019
    Yeah, there is nothing they can do about the backgrounds aside from remaking the whole game, the originals were lost. Data preservation wasn't considered as important back then, and/or their one and only backup failed or something.

On the plus side it may look a little more acceptable on the tiny Switch screen.

UncleSporky on
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I've always wanted to play through Link's Awakening but never did and now my laziness has been extremely rewarded.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yow, other than no Metroid Prime Trilogy that rumor was spot on. Mario Maker, Boxboy, and a 2Dish Zelda all accounted for.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Man, pretty much everything in there looked great to me. Even the stuff that isn't for me, I thought, "It's great that's happening."

Can't wait to watch Game Grumps play with Mario Maker 2.