Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    So I don't know if FF9 on Switch looks the same as the other versions that came out on PC and Vita, but it looks pretty gorgeous. More gorgeous than I remember the other versions looking. Everything seems so crisp and clean.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have to admit I don't much care for the art in the remake of LA, but I am fully prepared to play it and love it all the same. No matter how plasticky it looks, it's still nicer than the jagged pixels of my youth

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Tetris 99 is crazy shit. I have no idea if this was a good idea. It reminds me of the multiplayer Just Cause 2 nonsense some years back. Like the structure of the game really wasn’t intended for this, and it might be broken as hell, but it’s also kind of amazing to experience.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Tetris 99 is crazy shit. I have no idea if this was a good idea. It reminds me of the multiplayer Just Cause 2 nonsense some years back. Like the structure of the game really wasn’t intended for this, and it might be broken as hell, but it’s also kind of amazing to experience.

That's also why I'm thinking it could be a viral hit. It's a big get for sure.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I have to admit I don't much care for the art in the remake of LA, but I am fully prepared to play it and love it all the same. No matter how plasticky it looks, it's still nicer than the jagged pixels of my youth

More importantly you’ll have access to more than two buttons. Item switching (including sword and shield) was holding that game back more than it contributed to its success.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    This Tetris has me flashing back to friends of Penny Arcade Scott & Kris (second half of this episode):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orvpMBTigDE

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Yep Marvel Ultimate Alliance continues to be something I need in my veins. Also summer! Yaaaas!
    edzepp wrote: »

That's also why I'm thinking it could be a viral hit. It's a big get for sure.

It's a very weird yet strangely compelling game. Got #3 my second try, too.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    So the steam release of FF9 wasn't super great... mainly in that the controls were kinda... off...

The "analogue" controls were really just digital approximations, instead of actual granular analogue control... I don't guess anyone playing knows if they fixed it for switch? I'll probably also eventually get FF7 on switch, because FF7... now if only they could FF Tactics properly...

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    I'm not totally sure if I've got the systems understood but I'm thinking a good general strategy for Tetris 99 is target random, or attackers (because fuck them bein' mean to you).

If you target people close to KO, you will earn badges for KOing them, and when you earn a badge things start going downhill. You enter the realm of people targeting those with badges. Either they kill you or you kill them and get even more badges and paint more of a target on your head.

The longer you can go without badges the better a time you'll have, I think.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    dav3yb wrote: »
    So the steam release of FF9 wasn't super great... mainly in that the controls were kinda... off...

The "analogue" controls were really just digital approximations, instead of actual granular analogue control... I don't guess anyone playing knows if they fixed it for switch? I'll probably also eventually get FF7 on switch, because FF7... now if only they could FF Tactics properly...

I would pay $100 for FFT on the Switch no joke

same with Symphony of the Night

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I'm noticing a VERY significant delay in my control inputs. Like a whole second delay between pressing a button and anything happening. Not a huge problem on a game like FF9, but still very unpleasant. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

EDIT - it will definitely make the play mini-game tough to do well!
    EDIT 2 - It made the jump rope game pretty awful. =(

vamen on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U-_XfDGgDw

Man, how can anyone not love this game. The look of the game is almost timeless. Oh and that music, yes please!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yoshi's Crafted World is super adorable. It looks like the Tearaway 2 we never got.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    So, we're assuming that the massive difference between art styles in the Zelda trailer is a deliberate choice due to the story of the game, right?
    Y'know, anime style for reality, toy box style for the dream world itself?

I'm assuming they started making a Link between Worlds look-alike follow up for the 3DS, maybe with the eyes cute-ified to evoke the GB original. Then decided it was a switch exclusive and layered a bunch of shiny normal maps on the low-poly models so it didn't look like complete ass. And probably ran with your suggestion to explain it all.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Yoshi's Crafted World is super adorable. It looks like the Tearaway 2 we never got.

Played through the demo, it was a good time. Cannot wait, i loved Woolly. Mario Maker 2 is exciting for me too - i frigging LOVE level editors (even if so far i've learned i'm awful at NSMBU...).

Astral Chain is definitely interesting to me - did i spot some vanquish style sliding in there? Either way, Sentai/Kamen Rider Police Force by platnium games is my jam, so i'm here for this. (ALso having a laugh at what appeared to be bayo's dash - just ride the catdog instead of be the catdog this time!)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    vamen wrote: »

I'm noticing a VERY significant delay in my control inputs. Like a whole second delay between pressing a button and anything happening. Not a huge problem on a game like FF9, but still very unpleasant. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

EDIT - it will definitely make the play mini-game tough to do well!
    EDIT 2 - It made the jump rope game pretty awful. =(

What do you want to bet its running under some degree of Android emulation...?

Does it support touch controls? I wonder how the input lag is there.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Daemon X Machina seems interesting. I'm having trouble wrapping my eyes around the HUD at the moment, but I'm sure with time I'll have a better grasp of when I'm reloading.

Speed seems fine, especially after undergoing some surgery to up the base speed and boost speed of my mecha.

Character creator seems good. My avatar's a lady with a nice military-looking haircut, though I imagine most of my character choices are eventually going to be drowned out in cyborg implants. Don't get attached to your eye color.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm not totally sure if I've got the systems understood but I'm thinking a good general strategy for Tetris 99 is target random, or attackers (because fuck them bein' mean to you).

If you target people close to KO, you will earn badges for KOing them, and when you earn a badge things start going downhill. You enter the realm of people targeting those with badges. Either they kill you or you kill them and get even more badges and paint more of a target on your head.

The longer you can go without badges the better a time you'll have, I think.

I assume that badges give you more experience. How does that compare to the experience for lasting a long time?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Don't get attached to your eye color.

In dystopian future, eye color gets attached to you!

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    That was a pretty good direct. I could talk about the various things, but instead I'm just gonna say "Astral Chain" and be done with it.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    That was a pretty good direct. I could talk about the various things, but instead I'm just gonna say "Astral Chain" and be done with it.

My big takeaway. It could be a killer app, and I'm more surprised it was actually given a concrete date.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    More Star Fox content for Starlink, yay! I wonder if the racing in Starlink is the reason for "Retro doing Star Fox Racing"-rumour.

God I hate leakers. And rumour-mongers (different things, these two).

I played Pokemon with my son today (that demo) and he loved it. Learned to move the aid guy fast, and most of the time can throw the ball well enough. We even got multiple synced throws, those are nice. Fights are really easy with two persons but that is only a good thing when playing with a 4-yo (bday less than week ago). He threw a small tantrum when I stopped playing, so seems like he really digs the game.

Now to lure my wife into it, she loved OG pokemon back in the day. And likes Go. If she likes it well enough, I think I can buy it for us (penniless, so need to plan ahead our spending).

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight is getting a sequel, and it's console-exclusive on Switch:

All original backers also get a copy for free.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Ugh I'm really disappointed with the news about the quality of this FF9 port. Should it be a deal breaker if I've never played it? I don't want my first play through to be compromised.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Deltarune coming to the Switch is odd. It's an optimistic sign for the full game, of course, but it's so incomplete in many ways that it's strange to see it getting pushed out further.

• Options
    Wonder if this Hollow Knight will get a physical release

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Tetris battle royale seems like a great idea until I think about Tetris DS online matches and how about 1/3 of them were just you getting immediately obliterated by a Tetris god

Posted once more for relevance.

https://youtu.be/Alw5hs0chj0?t=3

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Quest Switchtyfour.

No we're looking for good games.

No we're not.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    From the Zelda thread:
    At first, I was disappointed the art style didn't match the cutscene.

Then I looked at the eyes and realized...

qevkmgzkag8b.jpegmil9ltmvh65p.jpeg

It's like the pixel art style in the original! I love that style!

And they seem to be staying really true to it!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Ah, weird. Blanchimont and Blanchimont in a new Atelier?

PLA on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright, my biggest takeaway is that Nintendo is planning on putting out releases during the summer months.

That makes me very happy because those months are usually barren wastelands for new games. But Fire Emblem and Daemon X Machina both coming out summer? That is exactly the kind of release dates I was hoping for. Because we all know there will be plenty of other big releases on either side of the summer already.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Ugh I'm really disappointed with the news about the quality of this FF9 port. Should it be a deal breaker if I've never played it? I don't want my first play through to be compromised.

Huh? What's wrong with it? I'm playing it right now and it seems like a perfect port.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I fired up the PS1 version to compare and, for all the problems with the newer releases, at least the characters aren't five shimmery pixels tall. The original text is also real tiny compared to FF7/8 so not the best for a portable screen either (let alone consumer CRTs)

The "definitive" edition is probably the Steam version if you're willing to mod it. You can get much better upscaled backgrounds and textures and restore the analog movement, and then pile on all kinds of other customizations if you want like widescreen or faster battles or tweaked difficulty.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Huh? What's wrong with it? I'm playing it right now and it seems like a perfect port.

Input lag and music glitches are what I've seen most.

I'm hoping it's minor though! I want to play it.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I put lag and music glitches are what I've seen most.

I haven't seen either of those, so *shrug*

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

might be happening after all

you playing handheld or docked? I'm curious if there's an impact on the game when handheld. I'm really bummed to hear there may be issues with the port, I've been looking forward to trying FF9 finally after all these years.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

might be happening after all

you playing handheld or docked? I'm curious if there's an impact on the game when handheld. I'm really bummed to hear there may be issues with the port, I've been looking forward to trying FF9 finally after all these years.

I played it for about 20 minutes docked last night, and about an hour handheld today.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    oh boy this Direct was pretty nice! So question guys, can someone summarize Rune Factory? Is there Loot? Is there grinding? Is it roguelike? Also, waitnig on DQXI paid out!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    oh boy this Direct was pretty nice! So question guys, can someone summarize Rune Factory? Is there Loot? Is there grinding? Is it roguelike? Also, waitnig on DQXI paid out!

The series used to (not sure if it still does) have the subtitle: "A Fantasy Harvest Moon". Which probably says a lot.

You farm, you do dungeons, you fight bosses, you meet people in town, romance, form adventuring parties, etc etc. They're fun games.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

It's very much Harvest Moon with combat. Honestly the farming sim genre has grown enough that they all seem to offer the same sort of features at this point, like...Zelda with farming. It could probably be most easily compared to Stardew Valley. Also with elements of Fantasy Life and Animal Crossing.

There's an ongoing story and series of quests you complete as you go deeper into the dungeon over the course of many days and seasons. And you fall in love and get married and upgrade your tools and house.