As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Players who have 5000 paragon levels - and I'm talking lifetime, not even Season - are dangerous criminals who need to be locked away for the safety of all society, this is my official stance, we will not be taking any questions at this time, thank you. If this category includes anyone on these forums, I promise to send you holidays cards on all the major U.S. bank holidays in your ultra-security containment facility.

• Options
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Well, if we intersect some point (most likely on a weekend), then we will know that the stars have aligned, the fates have willed it so, and that any of our endeavors are guaranteed to end with success!

you can hit me up any time you see me on - i'm usually playing late during the times you indicate. No monk myself, but I can carry 105's or something and get you a ton of gear fast, or we can just play because playing with actual humans is fun.
    Oh hey, thank you for the offer! If I see you online when I'm playing, I'll make sure to hit you up! (But, I should warn you ahead of time that I do like... maybe one or two rifts per evening and that's typically about all I end up having the time for.)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Players who have 5000 paragon levels - and I'm talking lifetime, not even Season - are dangerous criminals who need to be locked away for the safety of all society, this is my official stance, we will not be taking any questions at this time, thank you. If this category includes anyone on these forums, I promise to send you holidays cards on all the major U.S. bank holidays in your ultra-security containment facility.

I'm thinking that if someone has 5k+ Paragon levels, they've done a fairly good job of locking themselves away already.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    At this stage, the people who are still playing the game today have been playing it for years and are pretty intense. Seasons aren't bringing in a ton of casual players. So I imagine this "middle ground" is inferred from real stats.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Does seasonal paragon experience not move into lifetime? Cause my season char is 712 but all my non seasonal ones are only 815.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    Does seasonal paragon experience not move into lifetime? Cause my season char is 712 but all my non seasonal ones are only 815.

It does, but paragon XP requirements are on an exponential curve I think. So your base paragon isn't going to be that much higher than the highest you've ever achieved.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    The XP gets dumped into non-season when the season ends.

As Zek mentioned, because of the curve, you won't notice a significant increase in non-season levels. In your case, if the season ended today you might go up 50-60 non-season levels.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Promising blog post. I am glad they're giving some context and explaining their vision a bit. That is unquestionably good.

There are two things about it that make me continue to worry, however. First, the aforementioned 5000 paragon. This is just laughable. Sure, you can do math, but the fact that they look at that total and even think it's in a representative middle is insane. I play far more than most. I'm 1780-ish this season. After the season is over, my non-season paragon will be... ~2750.

The second is that they appear to be looking at balance for an entire class, and for even more than the 1000 spots on the leaderboard, which... just doesn't make a lot of sense. Essentially they're muddying the water so much that it's going to cause any measurement to regress a tremendous amount. Even if one class has a set that allows them to outperform all other classes, that effect is going to be severely dulled by not only other sets, but player skill, the community gravitating toward certain classes/sets, etc. It's just a terrible methodology.

I lied there's a third, they talk about single player and designing around both when it's just clearly not true. As others have pointed out, the advantage of grouping gets bigger and bigger all the time, for multiple reasons, and they do nothing at all to address it.

BTW @Incindium you can see what your non-season paragon will be after the xp combines at the end of season using the calculator here: https://www.d3bg.org/paragon-calculator/en.php

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    BTW @Incindium you can see what your non-season paragon will be after the xp combines at the end of season using the calculator here: https://www.d3bg.org/paragon-calculator/en.php
    Hey my guess was close!

• Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    Blizz is not exactly on a hot streak for good decisions of late. At least with d3 they'll scramble for a change quicker than, say, wow. Been enjoying s19 so far, but the last one I dug into was s9, so I'm about a casual as one gets there...

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    2.6.8 starts next Thursday 2/6
    • Hellfire mats vacuum pickup
    • Bounty caches will always drop plans until you know them all
    • Season of the Forbidden Archives - All slots in Kanai's cube will be able to select Legendary powers from Weapon, Armor, or Jewelry. This means you could select three Armor powers, three Weapon powers, three Jewelery powers, or any other combination thereof across all categories.
    • Barb set - Frenzy
      New Class Set: Horde of the Ninety Savages
      2-Piece Bonus: Double the effectiveness of all Shouts. Feared Enemies take double damage.
      4-Piece Bonus: Each stack of Frenzy reduces damage taken by 5%.
      6-Piece Bonus: Frenzy deals 1000% increased damage per stack.
      Undisputed Champion
      Frenzy gains the effect of every rune and deals 300-400% increased damage.
      Bastion's Revered
      Frenzy now stacks up to 10 times and hits an additional time per attack. Each additional hit will chain to any enemies within 15 yards and the damage is split between all affected enemies.
    • Doc set - Spirit Barrage
      New Class Set: Mundunugu's Regalia
      2-Piece Bonus: Big Bad Voodoo now follows you and lasts twice as long.
      4-Piece Bonus: Gain 50% damage reduction for 30 seconds when you enter the Spirit Realm.
      6-Piece Bonus: Spirit Barrage deals increased damage equal to 50 times your Mana Regeneration per Second.
      The Barber
      Instead of dealing direct damage, your Spirit Barrage now accumulates on the target. When you stop casting, it explodes dealing 225-250% 400-500% of the accumulated damage to all enemies within 15 yards.
      Gazing Demise
      Spirit Barrage gains the Phantasm rune. Each active Phantasm lasts twice as long, increases the damage of Spirit Barrage by 40-50% 100-150%, and also increases the attack rate from Manitou spectres.
      Now always rolls with Critical Hit Chance instead of Life Per Second.
    • Wiz set - Hydra
      New Class Set: The Typhon's Veil
      2-Piece Bonus: Double the duration of Hydras and increase the number of heads on multi-headed Hydras by two.
      4-Piece Bonus: Damage taken is reduced by 8% for each Hydra head alive as long as there is one available. Each time you take damage, a Hydra heads dies.
      6-Piece Bonus: Hydras deal 1000% increased damage for each Hydra head alive.
      Serpent's Sparker
      You may have one extra Hydra active at a time and they deal 450-600% increased damage.
      The Magistrate
      Frost Hydra Your Hydras now periodically casts Frost Nova and deal 450-600% increased damage.
      Etched Sigil
      The bonus granted by this item now occurs 1 second after channeling has begun.
      Deathwish
      The bonus granted by this item now occurs 1 second after channeling has begun.
    • Grouping bug resolved
    • Devour - voracious' RCR now works with capt crimson
    • Removed animation cancelling on Heaven's Fury
    • Mantle of channeling effect delayed start by 1 sec

e: format/bolded additions

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    The next season buff sounds awesome.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Ooh Frenzy Barb sounds like stupid fun. Probably going to give this one a try.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    They should just take out the 1-70 grind. Even if you can get past it in a short period of time, even that hour or two is a bunch of wasted nonsense this far into the game's lifecycle.

If you've already hit 70 at some point in the past, you should get an account pass to skip to level 70 IMO.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    They should just take out the 1-70 grind. Even if you can get past it in a short period of time, even that hour or two is a bunch of wasted nonsense this far into the game's lifecycle.

If you've already hit 70 at some point in the past, you should get an account pass to skip to level 70 IMO.

I don't discount your opinion, but want to make it clear that not all share it. I think the leveling process in a new season is the most fun part of the whole thing.

• Options
    edited January 2020

I don't discount your opinion, but want to make it clear that not all share it. I think the leveling process in a new season is the most fun part of the whole thing.

That's interesting and fair. I just find it hard to understand, I guess. When you're already pushing GRs past 70 or even into 100+ it seems so...blech to me.

I'd love some kind of option. Though I guess balancing that with people who like the 1-70 grind would be difficult without making it literally irrelevant.

For me it feels like work that's completely disconnected from what comes next. You basically can't use anything you've done from 1-69 in the 70+ game.

Maybe throw a few treasure rings or something at anybody who still chooses to go through 1-70. Some bonus. But let other people skip it.

Drez on
  • Options
    Also in patch notes not called out above:

Etched Sigil and Deathwish now only take effect 1 second after you start channeling, i.e. Bazooka Wizard is dead.

I really like the season buff, bajillions of new options will be available. And the new WD and Barb sets could be real contenders.

• Options
    So Etched Sigil, Deathwish, and Mantle of Channeling got nerfed? Was there some glitch with them that was being abused?

• Options

That's interesting and fair. I just find it hard to understand, I guess. When you're already pushing GRs past 70 or even into 100+ it seems so...blech to me.

I'd love some kind of option. Though I guess balancing that with people who like the 1-70 grind would be difficult without making it literally irrelevant.

For me it feels like work that's completely disconnected from what comes next. You basically can't use anything you've done from 1-69 in the 70+ game.

Maybe throw a few treasure rings or something at anybody who still chooses to go through 1-70. Some bonus. But let other people skip it.

You can already basically skip it by waiting one day and getting PLed, so yeah, I wish they would just make it a checkbox in character creation.

• Options
    Also in patch notes not called out above:

Etched Sigil and Deathwish now only take effect 1 second after you start channeling, i.e. Bazooka Wizard is dead.

I really like the season buff, bajillions of new options will be available. And the new WD and Barb sets could be real contenders.

It's there; mantle is mentioned at the bottom and the other two are in the wizard set spoiler, which admittedly isn't clear if it isn't opened.
    forty wrote: »
    So Etched Sigil, Deathwish, and Mantle of Channeling got nerfed? Was there some glitch with them that was being abused?

This is the second major attempt to nerf "Bazooka Wizard". If you were fast enough (or more likely, using a macro) you could start a channel in between casting a Star Pact meteor and the impact, applying all three damage buffs to the meteor.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about that Wiz set, was never huge on Hydras. I guess I'll have to see it in action.

Seasonal buff sounds interesting, I wonder what crazy things it will enable!

I guess this means next season will start somewhere in the range of late Feb?

• Options
    Diablo 3 designer 1: Huh, folks are - and have been - pointing out that the whole Witch Doctor class is pretty racist. What can we do?
    Diablo 3 designer 2: We can... create a new set for a different class and use the word "savage" in the title?
    Diablo 3 designer 1: Like, as a noun or as an adjective? I mean, one's bad and the other's worse.
    Diablo 3 designer 2: What do you think?
    Diablo 3 designer 1: *smiles and taps his head knowingly*

• Options
    It's sort of borderline given it's an item name that presumably refers to some nondescript ancient legend and not any known characters in the story. But yeah it's an uncomfortable name because it's hard to think of an application of the word savage in reality that isn't racist.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about that Wiz set, was never huge on Hydras. I guess I'll have to see it in action.

Seasonal buff sounds interesting, I wonder what crazy things it will enable!

I guess this means next season will start somewhere in the range of late Feb?

I’ve already seen a couple cool ideas:
    - Yangs/rucksack/deadman’s MS M6
    - Yangs(RCR)/manticore/dawn cluster arrow

And of course extra scythes is a boatload of damage for necro. Skill Wand(s)/Staff + Aether Walker. Furnace, ingeom, Messerschmidt whereever.. or the stronger toughness items in place of minor damage.

4 immunity-amulet troll builds? :rotate:

• Options
    Wow, 4 immunity amulets sounds amazing in the early stages of the season, so you can just rush through rifts as you gear up. Although, granted, if you're just gearing up, you probably don't have all 4 amulets yet.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    It's sort of borderline given it's an item name that presumably refers to some nondescript ancient legend and not any known characters in the story. But yeah it's an uncomfortable name because it's hard to think of an application of the word savage in reality that isn't racist.

It's a barbarian set, its clearly referring to vaguely nordic whites, so its OK.

• Options
    Diablo 3 designer 1: Huh, folks are - and have been - pointing out that the whole Witch Doctor class is pretty racist. What can we do?
    Diablo 3 designer 2: We can... create a new set for a different class and use the word "savage" in the title?
    Diablo 3 designer 1: Like, as a noun or as an adjective? I mean, one's bad and the other's worse.

It could be worse. They could call it the Savage Savage set. Both a noun AND an adjective!

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Horde of the Ninety Savagely Savage Savages

forty on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

It could be worse. They could call it the Savage Savage set. Both a noun AND an adjective!

Could have gone for Savaging Savage Savages, and use it as a verb too.

Edit: Or...
    Savages savagely savaging savage savages.
    Noun, verb, adjective and adverb.

see317 on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I've been waiting a long time for something that's not an Archon/Meteor build, if a Hydra build becomes viable next season I might have to play the game.

• Options
    I'm impressed that they were able to work an entirely new mechanic into the Typhon's Veil set with the whole "taking damage removes hydra heads" thing. I just hope it doesn't weaken the build too much. I'd hope there's some sort of minimum duration between procs on that, lest getting hit by a quick succession of tiny hits (or continuous damage type effects) obliterates your hydra squad in a second.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Based on squirts necklace, I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to avoid losing hydra heads whenever you can keep up absorbs (Ashnagarr’s, magic weapon - deflect, galvanizing ward, etc)

Remains to be seen if it’s additive (80%) or multi (~56%), and if it will reduce it below the base 3 or only remove the extra heads; (48% or ~40% minimum with 2 out)

Plus hydra is cheap with no cooldown, so you can recast easily.

e: Plus plus, that magistrate helmet makes them cast free frost novas!

Noggin on
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    I wish the barb set worked for all the barb primaries.

Cleave is probably still the skill I miss using most. Frenzy was actually my least favorite barb primary.

Oh well, new set, I'll try it for sure though. Any excuse to use Simplicity's Strength is fine by me.

As many have already said, the season ability sounds like an absolute riot and I can't wait to give that a shot.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Re: hydra heads
    There’s a reddit post saying that periodic damage and quick hits won’t nuke your DR right away, there’s basically an internal cooldown on losing the DR stacks.

They specifically say DR stacks, so I’m not sure if that means the damage is protected at the same time, but probably?

• Options
    Considering they're both tied to # of hydra heads, I'm going to figure the damage->head dying proc as an ICD, like I was hoping. Yay.

• Options
    Seems more likely than two separate stacks, but the game can be kinda obtuse at times. Like, Tal’s 4 and 6 may seem to be the same stack, but aren’t.

Speaking of, the planned channeling nerf really sucks for Tal/LoD Meteor Shower. Not too different for levels you can just facetank, but it’s a huge damage loss if you’re frequently moving, and also nerfs the manually casted meteor shower.

Sucks for hydras too. It’s pretty unfortunate that d3 design keeps pigeonholing item choices for multiple sets at once. (Akarat’s, Channel wiz, Land of the Dead, Ring of Emptiness, etc)

• Options
    Holy typo’s, Batman.

According to Nev(CM), Bastion’s Revered’s “Frenzy ... hits an additional time per attack” was meant to say per stack. :eek:

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    I dunno who that is, but Reddit seems mad about it? But they’re often mad in general so /shrug

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    He was a (the?) director for the Gears of War games. Diorblos reddit hates shootyman games but those games were good products and he clearly has a strong track record of being strong leadership for a dev team (which, as Anthem and Andromeda show us, is absolutely crucial).

This discussion has been closed.