As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So I started New Game Plus on World of Light without unlocking the "Defeat All Challengers" (or thereabouts) challenge. Apparently I was supposed to defeat both final bosses separately for it to count and I only did the final-final one instead. Gah.

May just end up using a hammer instead.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity. I remember back in Smash 4 Lucina got a lot of crap for being the "noob" option due to the lack of tipper. But anecdotaly speaking she seems far more common then Marth at higher levels of play (going by what I see as an admitedly borderline elite player and the occasional pro vid I see)

Any particular reason for the change in perception?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Road Block wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity. I remember back in Smash 4 Lucina got a lot of crap for being the "noob" option due to the lack of tipper. But anecdotaly speaking she seems far more common then Marth at higher levels of play (going by what I see as an admitedly borderline elite player and the occasional pro vid I see)

Any particular reason for the change in perception?

I never played smash 4 but I switched from Marth to Lucina cuz I can’t space worth crap. I don’t know that I’ve run into a Lucina online yet though.

I’ve read that the speed of the game is way up from 4 which might make Lucina a more favorable option.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    From what I've heard from pros Lucina is better because tippers aren't worth having sour spots. Consistency is worth a lot.

And anyone talking down on you for playing pretty much any character is a dip to begin with, so

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    From what I've heard from pros Lucina is better because tippers aren't worth having sour spots. Consistency is worth a lot.

And anyone talking down on you for playing pretty much any character is a dip to begin with, so

Oh absolutely, the snobbery around Lucina/Marth was ridiculous back in 4.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I feel like Mii Brawler might be at least considering playing if their side specials didn't put them helpless, so their recovery was closer to Inceneroar level rather than Mac level.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I used to think Mii Brawler was terrible I'm starting to think they might be "Okay." Their recovery is better than Little Mac's. Not much better, but better.

On a related note I just played against a good Wario as Brawler and man Wario is one of those characters that I'm so unfamiliar with that I forget what the majority of his moves even are. Second game I barely won, and that was after the Wario SD'ed trying to stylishly finish me off. Last game though I managed a solid (still one stock) win.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    I used to think Mii Brawler was terrible I'm starting to think they might be "Okay." Their recovery is better than Little Mac's. Not much better, but better.

On a related note I just played against a good Wario as Brawler and man Wario is one of those characters that I'm so unfamiliar with that I forget what the majority of his moves even are. Second game I barely won, and that was after the Wario SD'ed trying to stylishly finish me off. Last game though I managed a solid (still one stock) win.

So it's almost surely not worth giving up a command grab for but did you know the onslaught side special just kills people at like 80-90%? I tried it on a lark and hilariously blasted some people with it online. It's especially great when they're ledge guarding and you do it just to get back but come in high enough that they eat shit.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    one thing to note though is that you can't spam it. it's got a weird mechanic where it has a charge up mechanic when you take damage but once it hits the internal meter goes back to zilch.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    one thing to note though is that you can't spam it. it's got a weird mechanic where it has a charge up mechanic when you take damage but once it hits the internal meter goes back to zilch.

Oh dang, I totally spaced that it had a Lucario-esque clause on it! But yeah, I pretty much only used it early in stocks to see if I could cheese a free few %s (and because it's pretty easy to string into an aerial or up b) and then to try and kill. It's not really good to spam anyway because it's real weak to getting shielded and grabbed.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Did you know that you can catch belmont's down b vials and throw them back at them? because now i know.

• Options
    Did you know that you can catch belmont's down b vials and throw them back at them? because now i know.

Were you watching zero? He mentioned that offhand tonight and that blew my mind, I tell you hwat

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    No I just saw it happen when I accidentally did it.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Corrin's Up-B seems really really finicky. It's like you have to aim it as you hit the combo. Inklings, Lucario, etc. you have that paused moment before they start to move where you aim, but not with Corrin it feels like. Which is harder to execute....

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Corrin's Up-B seems really really finicky. It's like you have to aim it as you hit the combo. Inklings, Lucario, etc. you have that paused moment before they start to move where you aim, but not with Corrin it feels like. Which is harder to execute....

Lucario's up b feels way, way more finicky than it was in Brawl. I get loop-de-loops out of it that make no sense and kill me like one in four tries.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Anyone else got a Spirit Match they're finding impossible to beat? For me, its a tie between The Boss (Stamina match against a ZS Samus who seems to recover no matter what you do, and you need two slots for Poison Immunity) and 9-Volt and 18-Volt (Fighting two opponents on the Gamer stage with a frigging Sheriff assist trophy constantly shooting at you.)

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Anyone else got a Spirit Match they're finding impossible to beat? For me, its a tie between The Boss (Stamina match against a ZS Samus who seems to recover no matter what you do, and you need two slots for Poison Immunity) and 9-Volt and 18-Volt (Fighting two opponents on the Gamer stage with a frigging Sheriff assist trophy constantly shooting at you.)

For The Boss, you want Madama Butterfly as your support (3-slots, poison heals you). On that stage it outheals Celebi by a good margin.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

For The Boss, you want Madama Butterfly as your support (3-slots, poison heals you). On that stage it outheals Celebi by a good margin.

Be aware you can't get Madama Butterfly until veeeeeeeery late in the game. (And you can't miss her.)

For the Sheriff fight, load up with spirits that boost damage to assist trophies, ignore the regular fighters and immediately kick the Sheriff's ass.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Be aware you can't get Madama Butterfly until veeeeeeeery late in the game. (And you can't miss her.)

For the Sheriff fight, load up with spirits that boost damage to assist trophies, ignore the regular fighters and immediately kick the Sheriff's ass.

Aparoid x Shanoa makes it available sooner.

Sheriff fight is awful, but you can actually get it in a chest.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Slow super armor + assist killer is my go to for Sheriff, since his constant knockback is a big part of the annoyance. One good heavy upsmash with assist killer should kill it.

I don't remember how I beat Boss, which is a shame because I remember my combo making it pretty easy.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Aparoid x Shanoa makes it available sooner.

Sheriff fight is awful, but you can actually get it in a chest.

Funnily enough the Sheriff trophy is one of the ones you can use to kill the Sheriff. (I think that fight grants you 9-Volt and 18-Volt?)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I beat boss with giant metal marth, mega man zx ,and The reduced poison damage skill. ZSS can't cope with his side B combo and the giant damage basically negates her defense up

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    For the Boss fight I lucked into Dr. Mario's final smash being able to push ZSS so far off screen that she couldn't recover.

For 9-Volt and 18-Volt, I second Super Armour + Assist Killer. Took me a lot of times, but mixed in with Bowser's forward smash... eventually things worked out.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Corrin's Up-B is the reason I'm not higher ranked with her. If you face away from the stage, and don't notice when you hit it, you go away from the stage far enough to die.

Sometimes you also can't change your facing after being launched either, so you're stuck having to drag it directly vertically instead of off the edge...

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Hey all, we have a tournament on Saturday at 7PM Eastern!

Click here and sign up, because if you don't then you won't be able to fight!

Ri99yFn.png

That would be a big shame, wouldn't it? Everybody loves to Smash Bros.

Also of note: There has been a slight adjustment to the rules for stage picking this week! Instead of the winner of a match banning two stages, they will ban three, since we have so many legal stages.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    The three bans thing was supposed to be in effect last week but I forgot to edit it into the official copy of the rules.

Also, I am sadly going to miss this one, as I'm pretty much always busy all day on the third Saturday of every month. That's my board game day.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Here's a video from a famous YouTuber named Donkey or something like that

https://youtu.be/XkksE5DKj8Y

• Options
    edited January 2019
    So we're having our competitive tournament tomorrow, don'tcha know

It looks like it's goign to be a little leaner than last week, due to PAX

And that got me to wondering: would y'all like a change of pace for next week? I'm thinking we could have a Goofy Tournament, so to speak, with rulesets that are pure bullshit. All items on, Final Smash meter, random stage for each set, the works

It's just be a relaxed, fun, goofy thing, and I'd set it up so it wouldn't affect anyone's Challonge rating in any way

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I can't ever do the tournaments, cuz my kiddos don't go to bed until 730pm or so central.

It's fine though, allows me to maintain the polite fiction that I'd totally be competitive.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I can't ever do the tournaments, cuz my kiddos don't go to bed until 730pm or so central.

It's fine though, allows me to maintain the polite fiction that I'd totally be competitive.
    obviously you're competitive because you beat me, and if you weren't competitive and you beat me that means I'm not competitive and i think we can all have a laugh at that notion

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

obviously you're competitive because you beat me, and if you weren't competitive and you beat me that means I'm not competitive and i think we can all have a laugh at that notion

This is some iron clad logic.

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I think it’s time for me to seek help. After some early success with a couple of characters that I’m now attributing to dumb luck, I have been getting my ass handed to me routinely online. I think I’m on a 20-something match losing streak, even with characters at like, 40k GSP.

This is my first smash game ever, so when I lose I almost never know what I could have done better. Sometimes I fling myself off stage or forget to block something, so those are things I can identify and address. I know how throws work (kinda) so I’m getting better there. I set tilts to the stick and only use buttons to jump. I understand the different smashes and air attacks, and what the specials do for the most part.

But I have no idea what attacks take priority over what. Sometimes I’ll have an approach lined up that I’m sure is going to land, that usually lands against the CPU, and it turns into me getting combo’d or launched. Specials that hit reliably are getting interrupted, preempted, or whatever you want to call it and I eat a bunch of damage. Sometimes I’ll dodge an attack, end up behind my opponent, and they’ll turn around and either grab or smack me before I can capitalize. I also have a really hard time getting to safety or even just back on the ground after being hit. Double that for trying to get back on the stage.

I mainly stick to 5 or 6 characters, but I’ve put in decent time with at least half the roster and nobody is really clicking for me. I’ve watched tutorial videos and pro matches, spectated, and read this thread religiously since November.

I’m struggling.

Training mode is cool. I’ve learned a fair bit that way, and I’m at a point in World Of Light where every fight is over in about ten seconds. I definitely learned some bad habits there, like getting 4 midair jumps with Little Mac. I stopped playing it.

My favorite characters are Peach, Mac, Sonic, Mario, Inkling, and Ken. I'm starting to pick up Richter and the different Samuses. (Sami?) I also like the Links, Sheik, Rosalina, and Bowser.

Should I narrow my character pool down, or try to play as many of them as possible to learn the moves I'll be up against? Should I worry about stuff like the penalty for spamming moves or just try to land whatever I can?

How do I not be awful? I love this game a lot.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    One thing I've found helpful for characters I'm interested in is look for their discord servers if they have one. There's usually a *ton* of information including on how to deal with different matchups and what moves work/don't work in those cases.

I'm still like below average on Isabelle even with that, but at least I know more than I did or would've ever known without it. Playing people where you can actually communicate in real-time may be helpful as well so you can ask how to deal with certain situations.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I’ve been renovating my house, so a lot of my time recently has been playing handheld single player.

Now I’ve got my lan adapter set up, my controller back, and I’m ready to serious it up. So a sparring partner is finally feasible, thanks for the idea

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    I'm always happy to 1v1 anyone, and give tips if they're desired (or just keep my mouth shut if they aren't).

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Been playing more online, and I realized just how many players have the habit of always immediately using their double jump the instant they regain control after being knocked into the air. Once you recognize that your opponent does that, it's the easiest possible recipe for hitting them with a followup aerial every time. If you notice that they always then cover themselves with an airdodge, just bait it out and then hit them after.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Bubs wrote: »
    Should I narrow my character pool down, or try to play as many of them as possible to learn the moves I'll be up against? Should I worry about stuff like the penalty for spamming moves or just try to land whatever I can?

How do I not be awful? I love this game a lot.

Alright so some quick tips here:

If you're brand new to Smash I'd say keep casting your net wide. Knowing what your opponent can do is critical to figuring out what you should do.

When I asked about it earlier, the priority question is kinda fuzzy but mostly boils down to hitboxes--if you punch someone's sword, you're going to get hurt and they aren't, that kind of thing. Else when two attacks meet and they both land, the stronger attack tends to win. Except aerials I think, where both attacks always go through if they collide so both people get hit? It's weird.

The most you should worry about stale moves is if you have a move you really like to kill people with. Try and save that for kill situations, otherwise nah. Whatever's safe to hit with is generally your best bet.

Check out Zero's Smash tutorials on YouTube; he won like 50 straight Smash 4 tourneys or something ridiculous and has some good ones going over basic movement and angle of attack ideas.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    World of Light right before final boss:
    Claus being the last spirit of darkness and Hinawa, the last spirit of light got me right in the feels.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Hey all, final remidner, the tournament starts at 7:00 PM Eastern tonight.

If you haven't signed up yet, but wanna fight, you had best hurry!

Ri99yFn.png

Also, if you've already signed up, be sure to check in starting at 6PM!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I'm probably gonna be sitting this one out due to an accumulation of other responsibilities, but I hope everyone in it gets some good matches in!

This discussion has been closed.