As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FINAL FANTASY FOURTEEN: tip to toe this is an ardbert

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    I know rogue/ninja technically has stealth, but in practice I almost never use it. Too slow in dungeons, and not really worth it on regular world mobs.

outside of after every single fight to refresh mudras, anyway.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    IIRC the untranslated name is something similar and the meme and pun lovers in localization saw it as the opportunity of a lifetime
    It's not just similar in the original, it's also a flat-out reference to Curious George there as well.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Tremendous.
    Also I just got the Minion of Light and the Heavy Hatchling, they are my sweet sons and if anything were to happen to them I'd burn Eorzea to the ground

EDIT: I just found the palace of the dead and holy shit this game has a roguelike in it???

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Tremendous.
    Also I just got the Minion of Light and the Heavy Hatchling, they are my sweet sons and if anything were to happen to them I'd burn Eorzea to the ground

EDIT: I just found the palace of the dead and holy shit this game has a roguelike in it???

No, it has two (Heaven on High for 60+).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Tremendous.

One of us.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Tremendous.

Godfuckingdammit I died on the boss
    EDIT: I don't get the bags I found? Fuck that

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I recommend doing it with a group

You can do the early levels solo but it's really more of a personal challenge mode

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I recommend doing it with a group

You can do the early levels solo but it's really more of a personal challenge mode

Queues are reasonable even as a DPS too, since party comp is irrelevant (it might help with 100, and I'm sure it helps past that, but the queue doesn't care).

Don't worry too much about the bags - you'll crack tons of them if you spend time in there (and you probably will if you're leveling a DPS)

• Options
    Do you earn XP from it? I thought your level and such was separate.

anyway I'm doing the main story and losing my goddamn mind, PLEASE just let me fight this fucking primal, I don't want to put together this fucking feast

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    You earn XP for successful completions of each 10-floor stretch. A lot of it, too.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Do you earn XP from it? I thought your level and such was separate.

anyway I'm doing the main story and losing my goddamn mind, PLEASE just let me fight this fucking primal, I don't want to put together this fucking feast

You get a chunk of regular XP when you clear a section of ten floors. After level 50 you get tomestones as well (endgame currency, though with level cap at 70 it's now for stuff from prior expansions endgames, but the stuff is still useful for things)

Edit: The usual farming is to repeat 51-60, since you can start runs from scratch at floor 50 once you reach it, and deeper floors give more xp.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    But also, save leveling in there for a future class when you don't have MSQ quests to push you along.

• Options
    I would do anything to not have to do the MSQ, except pay $30 holy shit
    Like, why did the Titan chapter need to be so long. There was like 20 quests, and over half were just 1 or 2 step fetch quests! It's awful!

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    ARR has a lot of moments where the MSQ drags its feet because 2.0 was rebuilt in a hurry and needed a lot of padding

which isn't to say none of it matters, pretty much everybody and everything ARR established pays off later, including most individual members of the group making you run around right now

• Options
    ARR has a lot of moments where the MSQ drags its feet because 2.0 was rebuilt in a hurry and needed a lot of padding

which isn't to say none of it matters, pretty much everybody and everything ARR established pays off later, including most individual members of the group making you run around right now

Plus, it's still better than the traditional MMO "Get me 10 bear anuses that have a 20% drop rate for reasons" BS, IMO.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Hit NIN 35 today. Learned Chi which unlocked Raiton and Katon. This is coming along very nicely. I feel like a melee mage, which is what I wanted from RDM.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Hit NIN 35 today. Learned Chi which unlocked Raiton and Katon. This is coming along very nicely. I feel like a melee mage, which is what I wanted from RDM.

one of us

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    God I hope they get rid of tcj in shadowbringers

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »

TCJ is a really really cool ability conceptually. I hope they just tweak it to be fun to actually use.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

TCJ is a really really cool ability conceptually. I hope they just tweak it to be fun to actually use.

Make it auto-use the ninjitsu after the next three seals you enter, which would let you fire everything off quickly.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Make it auto-use the ninjitsu after the next three seals you enter, which would let you fire everything off quickly.

But aren't there times when the two-seal ability is what you want to fire off? Or the one-seal occasionally?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    SabreMau wrote: »

But aren't there times when the two-seal ability is what you want to fire off? Or the one-seal occasionally?

Ten Chi Jin is NIN's level 70 move. It DOES fire the one and two seal ninjitsus.

Basically, you hit a mudra, hit ninjitsu. Hit another mudra, hit ninjitsu for what the two mudra make, then do it again and get a three-seal. I'm saying to take hitting the Ninjitsu button out of the equation, so you can just rapid fire the three mudra off and the three abilities come out.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Oops, actually, I think I was thinking of something else.

SabreMau on
  • Options

Probably the mudras, Ten, Chi, and Jin. Yes it's a silly name for the level 70 ability.

• Options

Probably the mudras, Ten, Chi, and Jin. Yes it's a silly name for the level 70 ability.

That and I don't know if I actually played around with the level 70 abilities much. Right after I got to level 70 with every class, I more or less stopped there and focused more on leveling other alts. I did the quests to acquire those abilities, but didn't actively use them. I hit level 70 last July and still haven't gotten around to running Kugane Castle.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I updated the Heaven on High chart for the earring that's coming out in 3 weeks, and I suddenly don't have any interest in leveling alts from 61 to 70.

9ooIidX.png

I'm not sure if the earring is additive or multiplicative, but I believe it's additive. (+80% instead of 150% * 130%.)

Pretty sure it's 80%:

DLdkyMX.png

KiTA on
  • Options
    Why would anyone want to level solely through HoH anyway? The dungeon roulette bonuses + challenge log bonuses are pretty hefty, too. Plus there's sidequests all through Ala Mhigo and Doma. I've brought my DRK from 61 to 65 by not even touching HoH over the course of 2-3 hours a week for the last 3 weeks... Essentially only 2-4 roulette runs a week (alternating with my SAM's expert runs so DRK gets the challenge log bonus EXP), plus a few sidequests here and there to break up the monotony. Yeah, tank gets a role in need bonus, too, but it's not difficult to find ways to supplement that for other roles.

For me, the grindy nature of PotD/HoH makes it highly unattractive, especially after doing it to get weapons. Dungeons are faster (a decent PUG can clear one in 20- 25 minutes), and all the bonuses make it worthwhile.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    "It's so tedious to level my character when I ignore all the content!"

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    This is my 3rd 70? So all that content? Already done.

And the roulette bonuses are better served getting tomestones on my 70.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I enjoyed potd/hoh a lot, personally

it's about finding a method that works for you

• Options
    That XP bonus works for current dungeon too, and those are also good XP with variety and some nice gear cosmetically (Doma Castle in particular has some slick sets).

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    If you preorder Shadowbringers, do you get the other expansions for free?

*edit* says not until June on reddit post.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

what tomes? Expert roulette once a day for 5 days is the best tome strat to cap weeklies.

Rest of the roulettes are best for leveling, though of course only leveling roulette is actually more efficient than running dungeons.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options

what tomes? Expert roulette once a day for 5 days is the best tome strat to cap weeklies.

Rest of the roulettes are best for leveling, though of course only leveling roulette is actually more efficient than running dungeons.

Or just fates in Eureka, that'll cap you on tomestones pretty easily too.

• Options

Expert Roulette gives 90 Genesis tomestones?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Expert roulette daily bonus is 40, completing any of the three expert instances is 50.

edit: The dungeon completion bonus isn't daily, so you could just chain run the Ghimlyt Dark for 50 a pop and also hoover up a collection of 375 gear in the process.

reVerse on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I've been playing healers for years, ever since the Guild Wars beta, and I started messing around with the free trial to see if maybe this game will scratch that itch for me in a way that GW2 and Overwatch never do. It's fun and I may stick with it for a while, but I'm having a hell of a time with the targeting system. I don't know if it's the class I'm playing or what, but for some reason it keeps doing some target-of-target thing when I'm casting and I end up targeting other people who go after the same enemies I'm fighting with (I'm using a controller). That might be handy once I start doing group things, but it's annoying for leveling. Is there a setting somewhere that's causing this?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I've been playing healers for years, ever since the Guild Wars beta, and I started messing around with the free trial to see if maybe this game will scratch that itch for me in a way that GW2 and Overwatch never do. It's fun and I may stick with it for a while, but I'm having a hell of a time with the targeting system. I don't know if it's the class I'm playing or what, but for some reason it keeps doing some target-of-target thing when I'm casting and I end up targeting other people who go after the same enemies I'm fighting with (I'm using a controller). That might be handy once I start doing group things, but it's annoying for leveling. Is there a setting somewhere that's causing this?

While I can't give you any tips I can direct you to this very nice guide on using a controller.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    reVerse wrote: »

Expert roulette daily bonus is 40, completing any of the three expert instances is 50.

Ninja: The dungeon completion bonus isn't daily, so you could just chain run the Ghimlyt Dark for 50 a pop and also hoover up a collection of 375 gear in the process.

Good to know, need to do the Compass dungeon to unlock Expert, will do so when I wake up this evening. My clothies are all iLevel 380 (woo, armory chest space, finally!) but my Samurai will have hand me downs that won't be nearly as nice, so Ghimlyt was on the back of my mind, heh.

Dungeon completion bonus?

The real issue is that as a DPS player queue times were quite nuts. It's been a lot better getting into say, Omega 12 or the Monestary nowadays (~5 minute queues, occasional DPS Role in Need), but since I work nights, well, it's hard to get dungeons at 2 AM PST. 30-45 minute queue times, with my longest that I remember recently being ~90 minutes.

HoH, the longest I hit last night during my marathon to 70 on Black was ~6 minutes.

Ninja2: Monday night is 4.55, is that the last story patch until Shadowbringers? I know there's a patch coming in late March, when the Tokyo livemeet happens...

Patch 4.55 — February 12th, 2019
    — Rival Wings: Hidden Gorge
    — Eureka Hydatos
    Patch 4.56 — Late March 2019
    — New Main Scenario quests
    — New Hildibrand quests
    — New beast tribe quests (finale).
    Patch 4.57
    — World Visit system
    Patch 4.58
    — Various adjustments

Drat, nevermind. Last story patch is 4.56. Is the Dark Knight rework 5.0 or will it be later in 5.X?

KiTA on
This discussion has been closed.