As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Culture] Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    V1m wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I ove that The Culture operates on the near opposite of the Prime Directive.

Star Trek: Who are we to interfere with Planet Nazis?

Culture: Planet Nazis? Oh, we infiltrated and killed several key leaders implicating resistance forces which led to a civil war. The result is still essentially an oligarchy but they’ve established universal suffrage. With some nudging they should even out in a few decades and we can start considering first contact.

You face The Culture with the trolley problem they’ll not only flip the switch, they’ll then start heading up the track to take out the next negligent conductor.

I also like the notion that this is fundamentally what gives the lives of the people in the Culture meaning: there are other people out in the universe suffering and because they are attempting to motivate those civilizations to willingly adopt the moral framework of the Culture, even the most ostentatious hedonism on the part of Culture citizens at least serves the purpose of making the Culture’s lifestyle more attractive to those who haven’t adopted it.

They don't even want or need these foreign groups to join the Culture either, which is interesting. They just want them to be better, kinder and more peaceful versions of what they already are.

With the exception of eccentrics like Grey Area who using his power as an impossibly advanced spacecraft coasts from one industrialized world to the next exposing their most heinous and least talked about sins against their own race to their entire world

That'd be some shit for first contact right? You're sitting around eating a burger and suddenly every electronic device on the planet is hijacked by aliens to confront you with the ugliest deeds your race has ever done for no motive other than to make sure you don't do it again because you can't hide from it, others are watching

I feel like this would not work on humans.

That’s why the Culture ultimately just decided to leave Earth as a control group.

I would like to reiterate my very strong disagreement with this decision
    Clearly, the current pile of preventable crisis upon preventable crisis is just SC creating a situation so messy that Contact will intervene, followed by widespread distribution of slap drones.

"NO! Bad human! No burning coal!!"

mrondeau on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Culture: Planet Nazis? Oh, we infiltrated and killed several key leaders implicating resistance forces which led to a civil war. The result is still essentially an oligarchy but they’ve established universal suffrage. With some nudging they should even out in a few decades and we can start considering first contact.

You face The Culture with the trolley problem they’ll not only flip the switch, they’ll then start heading up the track to take out the next negligent conductor.

I also like the notion that this is fundamentally what gives the lives of the people in the Culture meaning: there are other people out in the universe suffering and because they are attempting to motivate those civilizations to willingly adopt the moral framework of the Culture, even the most ostentatious hedonism on the part of Culture citizens at least serves the purpose of making the Culture’s lifestyle more attractive to those who haven’t adopted it.

They don't even want or need these foreign groups to join the Culture either, which is interesting. They just want them to be better, kinder and more peaceful versions of what they already are.

With the exception of eccentrics like Grey Area who using his power as an impossibly advanced spacecraft coasts from one industrialized world to the next exposing their most heinous and least talked about sins against their own race to their entire world

That'd be some shit for first contact right? You're sitting around eating a burger and suddenly every electronic device on the planet is hijacked by aliens to confront you with the ugliest deeds your race has ever done for no motive other than to make sure you don't do it again because you can't hide from it, others are watching

That’s why the Culture ultimately just decided to leave Earth as a control group.

I would like to reiterate my very strong disagreement with this decision

Yeah but you have a silly meat brain, what do you know

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Everyone knows about our horrible crimes? Only horrible crimes can save us now!

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Ulver Seich: Hehe, it looks like a dildo.
    Churt Lyne (a drone): That's appropriate. Armed, it can fuck solar systems.

This quote needs to be in the OP cause hot damn that sort of humor just insta-sold me on this.

There's a grim humor throughout the series. It also gets to how ridiculously absurd Culture technology is compared to the galaxy as a whole.
    Gurgeh can't fly his small pod ship around because what is basically a mobile apartment is faster than any warship the local empire has and they don't want them to know that. A demilitarized warship is still capable of destroying planets etc

There's also how the drone gets told it has to wear a disguise...
    and is outraged that in addition to being bulk and square, it has to emit static crackling as it hovers.

end spoiler...
    although that drone is absolutely 100% actually Skaffen-Amitskaw from Use of Weapons.
    is it? I recall it being the drone that blackmails him at the start. There's over 100 years between Use of Weapons and Player of Games
    Yep, same drone. And it's not like everyone in the Culture isn't functionally immortal anyways.

No, I'm almost positive you're mixing up characters. Can't find anything online to this effect.
    Just looked it up - yes I'm wrong, the drone which blackmails him is in fact the same drone which accompanies him around the planet but it's not Skaffen-Amitskaw...I think...now I'm not so sure why I thought that in the first place....

Also there's a whole pile of one-line posts here which could be ship names.

Clearly we need more spaceships.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Also there's a whole pile of one-line posts here which could be ship names.

Clearly we need more spaceships.

edit: I also think the britain thread title is a pretty good spaceship name.

honovere on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I name all my electronic hardware (that allows you to choose a name) after Culture ships.

I'm currently typing on Another Fine Product From the Nonsense Factory, my old MacBook Pro. My new one, Hidden Income (I got it from work) is in the shop. The one I had when I wrote my PhD was It'll Be Over By Christmas and my old 17" was Big Sexy Beast. My external hard drives are Cargo Cult, Not Wanted on Voyage (it's not portable), and Contents May Differ (my backup drive). My home WiFi network is Clear Air Turbulence. My Kindle is Armchair Traveller. My Switch is New Toy, and my Wii was Injury Time.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The Culture is my favourite SciFi series, as you may have guessed.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    I like Excession, not only are the ships great, it digs into the gender/sex fluidity of the Culture more than any of the others.

I forget if it's Excession or Player of Games that shows how trivial changing one's sex is in the Culture. It's part of the standard built-in functionality of the average Culture citizen's body, right in there with the drug glands, 400 year life span, and the multiple orgasms. Tongue some nubbin in your mouth and in a few weeks you'll have transitioned. It's about as notable as dying your hair.

Hydrogen Sonata and (I think) Matter have have the guys who switch species or got poured into spiked balls, which are the sort of bold moves that might fuel a few minutes of gossip at your average Culture cocktail party.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    I like Excession, not only are the ships great, it digs into the gender/sex fluidity of the Culture more than any of the others.

I forget if it's Excession or Player of Games that shows how trivial changing one's sex is in the Culture. It's part of the standard built-in functionality of the average Culture citizen's body, right in there with the drug glands, 400 year life span, and the multiple orgasms. Tongue some nubbin in your mouth and in a few weeks you'll have transitioned. It's about as notable as dying your hair.

Hydrogen Sonata and (I think) Matter have have the guys who switch species or got poured into spiked balls, which are the sort of bold moves that might fuel a few minutes of gossip at your average Culture cocktail party.

You're also seen as a little strange if you don't change sex at least once in your life, like someone who refuses to ever eat tomatoes or something along those lines.

I Would Like to Reiterate My Very Strong Disagreement With This Decision

This is a great ship name

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

I Would Like to Reiterate My Very Strong Disagreement With This Decision

This is a great ship name

Whereas this is the kind of name a cheeky young Mind would choose and then be mildly embarrassed about after a few centuries.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    I wonder if all the Gravitas ships like to hang out, they clearly have a similar sense of humor

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I do like how that spate of ship names came along after somebody complained about Culture ships lacking gravitas.

Super advanced Minds the size of the Galaxy and they happily embrace being petty little shits.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My favourite ship name is Mistake Not from Hydrogen Sonata because of the reveal of its full name:

Mistake not
    My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I always try and memorize that but I always lose it after a week or so.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My favourites are the Do You Still Love Me? and the Of Course I Still Love You

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I always try and memorize that but I always lose it after a week or so.

It does seem like a bit much to tattoo across your knuckles.
    "Mistake Not" is much more succinct.

I Really Should Think Of A Good Ship Name
    No, That Part Before ? That's The Name
    Why Do We Keep Naming Ships In An Obscure Primitive Language ?

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    My favourites are the Do You Still Love Me? and the Of Course I Still Love You

I've always liked "Anticipation of a New Lover's Arrival, The"

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Since we were discussing ship names, there's a ship in Halo called Two For Flinching that's a rapid attack corvette and I always though that was a pretty Culture name to give something. That perfect mixture of childishness and menace.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Just finished Consider Phlebas. I loved those incompetent space pirates right through to the end. You're very slowly introduced to the Culture, for a book that's part of a series of books about the Culture they almost come across as guest stars in a book about Horza the Changer.

Totally wasn't expecting the weird cannibal death cult, felt bad for that shuttle AI Horza murdered.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    When he kills the Shuttle is when you properly realise that Horza is a bad person for the first time, I think. That's quite a significant moment, he just cold bloodedly murders the AI.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    He could have at least tried reasoning with it, "hey how about you drop me off real quick and you can come back and finish your mission." Nope, he skips straight to figuring a way to murder his way out of the situation.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I'm kind of thick I guess, but I didn't understand the end of Consider Phlebas. Why did the
    ship name itself after Horza? Was it just trying to shit on his legacy or what?

I'm kind of thick I guess, but I didn't understand the end of Consider Phlebas. Why did the
    ship name itself after Horza? Was it just trying to shit on his legacy or what?

Its not really clear and since its a Mind its probably intentionally so. They're only as understandable as they want to be. Its unlikely it was mocking because the Culture probably isn't big into mocking dead people who aren't around, what's the point?

My guess is that it admired his determination and resourcefulness despite his bad deeds and poor intentions.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Totally wasn't expecting the weird cannibal death cult...
    To me, that part very much felt like the Iain (no middle initial) Banks of The Wasp Factory coming in, writing a chapter and then going back to his room.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I wonder if all the Gravitas ships like to hang out, they clearly have a similar sense of humor

That account finds some amazing stuff.

Echo wrote: »

God we need more spaceships...

Echo wrote: »

God we need more spaceships...

Yes, but when is that not true?

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »
    Totally wasn't expecting the weird cannibal death cult...
    To me, that part very much felt like the Iain (no middle initial) Banks of The Wasp Factory coming in, writing a chapter and then going back to his room.
    I read Wasp Factory and Use of Weapons at about the same time and felt that constantly.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Transition is the only non-M Banks I've read, and that was still pretty scifi-adjacent. I should give the Iain Banks stuff a go some time.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    There is some discussion of Earth as control group etc., which I know is a joke, but....

I thought it was pretty clear that the Culture is set in the far, far, far future, and that many societies are human or human offshoots, which is why they're... humanoid. There is no contemporary Earth in the setting.

If I'm wrong, if this is meant to be another universe with a bunch of aliens who happen to look and behave exactly like humans, I'm going to be disappointed, tbh

There is some discussion of Earth as control group etc., which I know is a joke, but....

I thought it was pretty clear that the Culture is set in the far, far, far future, and that many societies are human or human offshoots, which is why they're... humanoid. There is no contemporary Earth in the setting.

If I'm wrong, if this is meant to be another universe with a bunch of aliens who happen to look and behave exactly like humans, I'm going to be disappointed, tbh

Some of the books take place while we're in our middle ages. The book makes jokes several times abiut english not having words for things in the Culture's language and vice versa. I suspect "human" is one of them. To the culture thats just an intelligent bipedal mammal that can probably breed with anyone else "human".

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited June 2019

Actually, Earth was visited in the '70 by Contact in a short story in The State of the Art. It was classified as primitive, but developing nicely, so monitor but don't interfere for now.
    There's also some indications in Consider Phlebas and Surface Details that Earth was officially contacted and joined the Culture later on.

PS.
    Also, humanoid does not means single species of human. It's a bunch of species with vaguely similar biology, followed by a lot of technology.
    Those are a minority of the galaxy. Variants on the "gas bag" body plan are more common.

mrondeau on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

"The State of the Art" is a ~100 page story where the Culture visit 1970s Earth and after some deliberation decide to treat it as a control group for non-intervention. It's a good read.

edited June 2019

The Culture books span centuries. The first book happens during the 12th century or something. It's documented somewhere. The State of the Art takes place in the late 1970s.

And yeah, there's a lot of Star Trek going on. Diziet Sma mentions only needing "minor alterations" to blend in.
    "I got a couple of extra toes, a joint removed from each finger and a rather generalized ear, nose and cheekbone job. The ship insisted on teaching me to walk differently as well"

Echo on
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    The titular story in The State of the Art is set on Earth during the Cold War.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Earth as a control group isn't a joke, it's the ending of The State of the Art. A Contact ship rolls in during the 70's, stuff happens, and they decide to leave well enough alone to see what happens and also as part of The Culture's constant worrying that despite their technology and best intentions, they're not actually doing the right thing when they roll up on primitive screwheads and try and bring them into the galactic fold.

If it makes you feel better, they do eventually establish contact with Earth around 2100.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!