Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[The Culture] Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

1235»

Posts

  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    V1m wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I ove that The Culture operates on the near opposite of the Prime Directive.

    Star Trek: Who are we to interfere with Planet Nazis?

    Culture: Planet Nazis? Oh, we infiltrated and killed several key leaders implicating resistance forces which led to a civil war. The result is still essentially an oligarchy but they’ve established universal suffrage. With some nudging they should even out in a few decades and we can start considering first contact.

    You face The Culture with the trolley problem they’ll not only flip the switch, they’ll then start heading up the track to take out the next negligent conductor.

    I also like the notion that this is fundamentally what gives the lives of the people in the Culture meaning: there are other people out in the universe suffering and because they are attempting to motivate those civilizations to willingly adopt the moral framework of the Culture, even the most ostentatious hedonism on the part of Culture citizens at least serves the purpose of making the Culture’s lifestyle more attractive to those who haven’t adopted it.

    They don't even want or need these foreign groups to join the Culture either, which is interesting. They just want them to be better, kinder and more peaceful versions of what they already are.

    With the exception of eccentrics like Grey Area who using his power as an impossibly advanced spacecraft coasts from one industrialized world to the next exposing their most heinous and least talked about sins against their own race to their entire world

    That'd be some shit for first contact right? You're sitting around eating a burger and suddenly every electronic device on the planet is hijacked by aliens to confront you with the ugliest deeds your race has ever done for no motive other than to make sure you don't do it again because you can't hide from it, others are watching

    I feel like this would not work on humans.

    That’s why the Culture ultimately just decided to leave Earth as a control group.

    I would like to reiterate my very strong disagreement with this decision
    Clearly, the current pile of preventable crisis upon preventable crisis is just SC creating a situation so messy that Contact will intervene, followed by widespread distribution of slap drones.


    "NO! Bad human! No burning coal!!"

    mrondeau on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I ove that The Culture operates on the near opposite of the Prime Directive.

    Star Trek: Who are we to interfere with Planet Nazis?

    Culture: Planet Nazis? Oh, we infiltrated and killed several key leaders implicating resistance forces which led to a civil war. The result is still essentially an oligarchy but they’ve established universal suffrage. With some nudging they should even out in a few decades and we can start considering first contact.

    You face The Culture with the trolley problem they’ll not only flip the switch, they’ll then start heading up the track to take out the next negligent conductor.

    I also like the notion that this is fundamentally what gives the lives of the people in the Culture meaning: there are other people out in the universe suffering and because they are attempting to motivate those civilizations to willingly adopt the moral framework of the Culture, even the most ostentatious hedonism on the part of Culture citizens at least serves the purpose of making the Culture’s lifestyle more attractive to those who haven’t adopted it.

    They don't even want or need these foreign groups to join the Culture either, which is interesting. They just want them to be better, kinder and more peaceful versions of what they already are.

    With the exception of eccentrics like Grey Area who using his power as an impossibly advanced spacecraft coasts from one industrialized world to the next exposing their most heinous and least talked about sins against their own race to their entire world

    That'd be some shit for first contact right? You're sitting around eating a burger and suddenly every electronic device on the planet is hijacked by aliens to confront you with the ugliest deeds your race has ever done for no motive other than to make sure you don't do it again because you can't hide from it, others are watching

    I feel like this would not work on humans.

    That’s why the Culture ultimately just decided to leave Earth as a control group.

    I would like to reiterate my very strong disagreement with this decision

    Yeah but you have a silly meat brain, what do you know

  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Everyone knows about our horrible crimes? Only horrible crimes can save us now!

  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Ulver Seich: Hehe, it looks like a dildo.
    Churt Lyne (a drone): That's appropriate. Armed, it can fuck solar systems.

    This quote needs to be in the OP cause hot damn that sort of humor just insta-sold me on this.

    There's a grim humor throughout the series. It also gets to how ridiculously absurd Culture technology is compared to the galaxy as a whole.
    Gurgeh can't fly his small pod ship around because what is basically a mobile apartment is faster than any warship the local empire has and they don't want them to know that. A demilitarized warship is still capable of destroying planets etc

    There's also how the drone gets told it has to wear a disguise...
    and is outraged that in addition to being bulk and square, it has to emit static crackling as it hovers.

    end spoiler...
    although that drone is absolutely 100% actually Skaffen-Amitskaw from Use of Weapons.
    is it? I recall it being the drone that blackmails him at the start. There's over 100 years between Use of Weapons and Player of Games
    Yep, same drone. And it's not like everyone in the Culture isn't functionally immortal anyways.

    No, I'm almost positive you're mixing up characters. Can't find anything online to this effect.
    Just looked it up - yes I'm wrong, the drone which blackmails him is in fact the same drone which accompanies him around the planet but it's not Skaffen-Amitskaw...I think...now I'm not so sure why I thought that in the first place....

  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Also there's a whole pile of one-line posts here which could be ship names.

    Clearly we need more spaceships.

  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Also there's a whole pile of one-line posts here which could be ship names.

    Clearly we need more spaceships.






    edit: I also think the britain thread title is a pretty good spaceship name.

    honovere on
    override367
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I name all my electronic hardware (that allows you to choose a name) after Culture ships.

    I'm currently typing on Another Fine Product From the Nonsense Factory, my old MacBook Pro. My new one, Hidden Income (I got it from work) is in the shop. The one I had when I wrote my PhD was It'll Be Over By Christmas and my old 17" was Big Sexy Beast. My external hard drives are Cargo Cult, Not Wanted on Voyage (it's not portable), and Contents May Differ (my backup drive). My home WiFi network is Clear Air Turbulence. My Kindle is Armchair Traveller. My Switch is New Toy, and my Wii was Injury Time.

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
    electricitylikesmeInkstain82Al_watKipling217tynic
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The Culture is my favourite SciFi series, as you may have guessed.

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
    electricitylikesmeWinky
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    I like Excession, not only are the ships great, it digs into the gender/sex fluidity of the Culture more than any of the others.

    I forget if it's Excession or Player of Games that shows how trivial changing one's sex is in the Culture. It's part of the standard built-in functionality of the average Culture citizen's body, right in there with the drug glands, 400 year life span, and the multiple orgasms. Tongue some nubbin in your mouth and in a few weeks you'll have transitioned. It's about as notable as dying your hair.

    Hydrogen Sonata and (I think) Matter have have the guys who switch species or got poured into spiked balls, which are the sort of bold moves that might fuel a few minutes of gossip at your average Culture cocktail party.

  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    I like Excession, not only are the ships great, it digs into the gender/sex fluidity of the Culture more than any of the others.

    I forget if it's Excession or Player of Games that shows how trivial changing one's sex is in the Culture. It's part of the standard built-in functionality of the average Culture citizen's body, right in there with the drug glands, 400 year life span, and the multiple orgasms. Tongue some nubbin in your mouth and in a few weeks you'll have transitioned. It's about as notable as dying your hair.

    Hydrogen Sonata and (I think) Matter have have the guys who switch species or got poured into spiked balls, which are the sort of bold moves that might fuel a few minutes of gossip at your average Culture cocktail party.

    You're also seen as a little strange if you don't change sex at least once in your life, like someone who refuses to ever eat tomatoes or something along those lines.

  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I ove that The Culture operates on the near opposite of the Prime Directive.

    Star Trek: Who are we to interfere with Planet Nazis?

    Culture: Planet Nazis? Oh, we infiltrated and killed several key leaders implicating resistance forces which led to a civil war. The result is still essentially an oligarchy but they’ve established universal suffrage. With some nudging they should even out in a few decades and we can start considering first contact.

    You face The Culture with the trolley problem they’ll not only flip the switch, they’ll then start heading up the track to take out the next negligent conductor.

    I also like the notion that this is fundamentally what gives the lives of the people in the Culture meaning: there are other people out in the universe suffering and because they are attempting to motivate those civilizations to willingly adopt the moral framework of the Culture, even the most ostentatious hedonism on the part of Culture citizens at least serves the purpose of making the Culture’s lifestyle more attractive to those who haven’t adopted it.

    They don't even want or need these foreign groups to join the Culture either, which is interesting. They just want them to be better, kinder and more peaceful versions of what they already are.

    With the exception of eccentrics like Grey Area who using his power as an impossibly advanced spacecraft coasts from one industrialized world to the next exposing their most heinous and least talked about sins against their own race to their entire world

    That'd be some shit for first contact right? You're sitting around eating a burger and suddenly every electronic device on the planet is hijacked by aliens to confront you with the ugliest deeds your race has ever done for no motive other than to make sure you don't do it again because you can't hide from it, others are watching

    I feel like this would not work on humans.

    That’s why the Culture ultimately just decided to leave Earth as a control group.

    I Would Like to Reiterate My Very Strong Disagreement With This Decision

    This is a great ship name

    mrondeauDizzy DV1moverride367doomybear
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I ove that The Culture operates on the near opposite of the Prime Directive.

    Star Trek: Who are we to interfere with Planet Nazis?

    Culture: Planet Nazis? Oh, we infiltrated and killed several key leaders implicating resistance forces which led to a civil war. The result is still essentially an oligarchy but they’ve established universal suffrage. With some nudging they should even out in a few decades and we can start considering first contact.

    You face The Culture with the trolley problem they’ll not only flip the switch, they’ll then start heading up the track to take out the next negligent conductor.

    I also like the notion that this is fundamentally what gives the lives of the people in the Culture meaning: there are other people out in the universe suffering and because they are attempting to motivate those civilizations to willingly adopt the moral framework of the Culture, even the most ostentatious hedonism on the part of Culture citizens at least serves the purpose of making the Culture’s lifestyle more attractive to those who haven’t adopted it.

    They don't even want or need these foreign groups to join the Culture either, which is interesting. They just want them to be better, kinder and more peaceful versions of what they already are.

    With the exception of eccentrics like Grey Area who using his power as an impossibly advanced spacecraft coasts from one industrialized world to the next exposing their most heinous and least talked about sins against their own race to their entire world

    That'd be some shit for first contact right? You're sitting around eating a burger and suddenly every electronic device on the planet is hijacked by aliens to confront you with the ugliest deeds your race has ever done for no motive other than to make sure you don't do it again because you can't hide from it, others are watching

    I feel like this would not work on humans.

    That’s why the Culture ultimately just decided to leave Earth as a control group.

    I Would Like to Reiterate My Very Strong Disagreement With This Decision

    This is a great ship name

    Whereas this is the kind of name a cheeky young Mind would choose and then be mildly embarrassed about after a few centuries.

    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    WinkyStyrofoam Sammichdoomybear
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I wonder if all the Gravitas ships like to hang out, they clearly have a similar sense of humor

  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I do like how that spate of ship names came along after somebody complained about Culture ships lacking gravitas.

    Super advanced Minds the size of the Galaxy and they happily embrace being petty little shits.

    Inkstain82Styrofoam SammichV1mCaedwyr
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My favourite ship name is Mistake Not from Hydrogen Sonata because of the reveal of its full name:

    Mistake not
    My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.

    mrondeauInkstain82Polaritieoverride367DarkPrimusCalicaWinky
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I always try and memorize that but I always lose it after a week or so.

  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My favourites are the Do You Still Love Me? and the Of Course I Still Love You

    override367
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I always try and memorize that but I always lose it after a week or so.

    It does seem like a bit much to tattoo across your knuckles.
    "Mistake Not" is much more succinct.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I Really Should Think Of A Good Ship Name
    No, That Part Before ? That's The Name
    Why Do We Keep Naming Ships In An Obscure Primitive Language ?

  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    My favourites are the Do You Still Love Me? and the Of Course I Still Love You

    I've always liked "Anticipation of a New Lover's Arrival, The"

    mrondeauWinkyCalicaPLA
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Since we were discussing ship names, there's a ship in Halo called Two For Flinching that's a rapid attack corvette and I always though that was a pretty Culture name to give something. That perfect mixture of childishness and menace.

    Seal
1235»
Sign In or Register to comment.