As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Gritty is wonderful and should receive asylum anywhere he manages to escape to.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

I love everything about that.

And the Reddit thread has some great responses

Ah, Philadelphia continues to be The Most Ironically Named City in America.

My favorite comments from the Reddit Thread
    Eagles Fan: “Your mom’s a T.H.O.T”!

Eli Manning: ”My mom had a thought? The darn does that mean?”
    Chris Thompson's Eagles fan story is my favorite.

“You see a lot of the players pregame when we run out of the tunnel, guys just go pray or whatever in the end zone,” Thompson said. “And [two years ago] I went and prayed in the end zone, and one of the [fans] told me, he was like, ‘God’s not going to help you today.’ And I was like oh, shoot. I heard it while I was praying. I was like dang, all right, that’s a little harsh.”
    "Big shout out to the Philly 9 year old that managed to get into the head of Eli Manning."

Right? That’s the real moral of the story. You can be 9 years old and still fuck with a grown ass man who is the Super Bowl winning quarterback of the largest city in the country.

Don’t let’s your dreams be dream folks.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Mel Kiper has Drew lock going to Miami at 13 so of course I've spent a large amount of my day Google him. I don't see him dropping that far.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Gritty is wonderful and should receive asylum anywhere he manages to escape to.

Gritty being removed from Philly would be like... a rose removed from a metaphor.

Part of his greatness is that he embodies Philadelphia in such a true fashion that you, like, just know that somewhere his father is listed as "A literal dumpster on fire".

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Mel Kiper has Drew lock going to Miami at 13 so of course I've spent a large amount of my day Google him. I don't see him dropping that far.

Sports turds are apparently giddy that Miami might Tank For Tua.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Based on what?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Every QB this year is a trap.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Based on what?

His latest mock draft.I'm convinced he throws darts at a board but it's fun to look at them.

• Options

Based on what?

His latest mock draft.I'm convinced he throws darts at a board but it's fun to look at them.

Ah ok. Yes I’d bet on the stupidity of NFL drafters.

I thought you saw something that indicated Drew Lock could actually play and wasn’t an overhyped turd.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    [Veruca Salt]But I want to make a profit noooowwwwwww[/Veruca Salt]

I mean, it's been like 2 months, clearly this league will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever work.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jesus that was fast.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jesus that was fast.

What were they planning on? This feels like a serious case of unrealistic expectations.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Dundon, the NHL owner who fed them like 70 + million was complaining that they weren't getting any help from the NFLPA, which seems kinda dumb because if you thought you were going to get access to NFL players, maybe you make that deal before day one. Plus, getting no-named practice squad dudes wasn't going to improve your viewership.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    In all fairness they had a lot of hilariously well known practice-squad-quality dudes

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Jesus that was fast.

What were they planning on? This feels like a serious case of unrealistic expectations.

I don't know how much folks in this thread know about the ABA and the WHA, but it strikes me that the AAF had intended to operate as a de facto development/minor league to the NFL and expected that this would just happen merely by existing. And if not that, a merger. As if somehow the NFL felt the need to increase the number is shares of the pie for whatever reason.

The real answer or explanation is that these people were really, really dumb. And if you ever wanted to see into the future, this will be the fate of the XFL 2.0.

• Options
    Jesus that was fast.

I don't know how much folks in this thread know about the ABA and the WHA, but it strikes me that the AAF had intended to operate as a de facto development/minor league to the NFL and expected that this would just happen merely by existing. And if not that, a merger. As if somehow the NFL felt the need to increase the number is shares of the pie for whatever reason.

The real answer or explanation is that these people were really, really dumb. And if you ever wanted to see into the future, this will be the fate of the XFL 2.0.

Nope sorry the REAL MERICA XFL won't have that sissy kneeling. And it's going to be the real Premier league of American foot baw MERICA!!!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I’m not sure the XFL will even launch

• Options
    I’m not sure the XFL will even launch

It cost vince mcmahon money already, so we've all won something.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Vince has to be second guessing himself right now. Then again, going for the hardcore anti kneeling people might be a good idea. Those people are hardcore and may just hate watch it out of spite.

• Options
    Vince has to be second guessing himself right now. Then again, going for the hardcore anti kneeling people might be a good idea. Those people are hardcore and may just hate watch it out of spite.

I just don't think there are enough of those people to make a profit for a football league. Not to mention McMahon has already failed with this idea once, and players have no good reason to trust him, on top of this other league failing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I don't think Vince has the capability to second guess himself.

• Options

I just don't think there are enough of those people to make a profit for a football league. Not to mention McMahon has already failed with this idea once, and players have no good reason to trust him, on top of this other league failing.

Nascar is the biggest sport in America and their fans are die hard. I'm not saying all Nascar fans are racist, but I'm going to guess this league's stances appeal to a large part of their viewership

• Options

Nascar is the biggest sport in America and their fans are die hard. I'm not saying all Nascar fans are racist, but I'm going to guess this league's stances appeal to a large part of their viewership

Nascar is not the biggest sport in america. The NFL is.

And appealing to racists only lets you get to be president, but it can't get people to watch like single a football leagues run by deluded billionares.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

All those people have already abandoned the NFL. It's the only reason ratings are down, donchanoe.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Nascar is not the biggest sport in america. The NFL is.

And appealing to racists only lets you get to be president, but it can't get people to watch like single a football leagues run by deluded billionares.

The biggest problem for pretty much all of these lesser leagues (AAF, XFL, whatever), is that they're well.... lesser.

The NFL already has a massive deficit of top-tier talent already. Granted, the deficient QB ratio appears to have dropped off, but not every team has a competitive QB, and none have a backup that you'ld want to go into the Superbowl with. Receivers, Running Backs, Linemen, whatever.

As none of these other leagues are going to pay sufficiently to entice good players (especially in a game where injuries are rife), you're looking to make a league where your best QB isn't the 64th best in the NFL. Where your receivers/RB's aren't better than the 96th option at that position, etc.

And, even if you DO find a potential diamond in the rough? They're going to be poached immediately (as happened to San Diego Fleet's Josh Johnson). It's an issue that has plagued the Australian soccer league. Anyone who is revealed to have a talent worthy of showcasing, got recruited by a foreign league. Of the 23 players on the national (ie, World Cup) team, only 4 play in the Australian league.

Which means that people go in knowing it's going to be a vastly inferior product. And that not just injury or poor play will remove their favorite players, but also good play. And any attempt to "lock" players in, would probably remove anyone who felt they had a chance at the NFL, because why take a guaranteed low contract (again, because they can't afford more).

Just looked. The minimum league salary in the NFL is ~$480K. The AAF is 3y/$250K (~$83K). The XFL is reported to be $75K. Noone who thinks they can make the leap is going to sign away their chance to do so for that amount of money.

So, with the dearth of talent, the media time, advertising and viewership is going to be significantly lower, which makes it hard to avoid a death spiral.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    You could sign for a thousand years, if the NFL comes calling, that contract is void. The problem isn't getting guys to sign, it's which guys. The NCAA is already the developmental league. Any new developmental league is going to need 18 year old future stars wooed away from the college game. If a guy already made it through his college career and he's not ready for prime time, absolutely nobody, not even his mom, is interested in him playing minor league football.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The "lesser" argument doesn't really hold water to me, given how many people prefer college to the NFL. Myself included.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    But college is established, and it’s largely a known quantity

The new upstart leagues are neither.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't know your particular reasons for preferring college football but for a lot of the folks I know that do, the reasons they prefer it either a) can't really be carried over to semi-pro leagues, or b) would take waaay longer than a couple of months to foster those reasons. Meanwhile, college ball is already right there.

• Options
    Perhaps we could pay the college players? Nah.

Speaking of the XFL, McMahon sold off about $270+ million in WWE shares to fund this thing. Maybe that's why his wife left Trump's cabinet? They need all hands on deck to run this tax dodge totally legitimate sports league.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The "lesser" argument doesn't really hold water to me, given how many people prefer college to the NFL. Myself included.

You have a lifetime of psychological conditioning that resulted in an emotional attachment to Michigan. I grew up watching Nebraska games with my dad. There's also the whole "I will root for this school because I went there and made friends there." College football has that unique tribalism element that you can't just create out of thin air.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

You have a lifetime of psychological conditioning that resulted in an emotional attachment to Michigan. I grew up watching Nebraska games with my dad. There's also the whole "I will root for this school because I went there and made friends there." College football has that unique tribalism element that you can't just create out of thin air.

Which is why it's kind of absurd to pull the plug on this league after 2 months. It would take at least 2 or 3 years to even begin getting a foothold on the local communities. So if you are pulling out after 2 months you clearly never had any intention of actually committing to the idea of another football league. There was a Deadspin article that speculated that the NHL owner who pumped in some money after the league started was only doing so to get some IP out of the league. That's a bit of heresay obviously but I think it's probably true that the AAF had an impossibly short leash for which to succeed.

• Options
    https://deadspin.com/prosecutors-drop-extremely-bullshit-smelling-charge-aga-1833788093

So in not shocking news the bullshit charge against Micheal Bennett has been dropped. Just imagine though how many not famous black people probably don't have this kind of thing happen to them and you know exactly why Bennett was pissed in the first place.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

New Jets uniforms? And going back to the 80s helmets? I'll hold my breath on this until its official.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    https://deadspin.com/prosecutors-drop-extremely-bullshit-smelling-charge-aga-1833788093

So in not shocking news the bullshit charge against Micheal Bennett has been dropped. Just imagine though how many not famous black people probably don't have this kind of thing happen to them and you know exactly why Bennett was pissed in the first place.

Plus they already got the headlines they wanted for the arrest, and they fucked with his life as revenge for talking back to their brothers in blue in Vegas.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Most of our suspicions were correct. McCarthy was a fucking idiot that was saved by talent on the field. Rodgers was overriding McCarthy and making up plays in the huddle.

The reason behind Rodgers hatred of McCarthy may be petty, but I dont really care because he is right. McCarthy is a fucking idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVAECoucqNo
    That ridiculous throw to Jared Cook in the playoffs in 2017? Drawn up in the huddle. Rodgers told an uncovered guard to pull out with him, that he'd bait in a defender and dash left. "That's what you're dealing with," one former Packers coach says. "A guy who'll do that. He might screw up a play Mike called ... [but] you have to give him credit for the good, too."

I wonder if Brady could even do that...

So much wasted talent.

Veevee on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

So much wasted talent.

I'd bet good money that he can and does. Because I'd be willing to bet that Belichick taught him to be able to do that, because if you can teach your QB to be good at that, why wouldn't you want that skill in your toolkit?

I'd doubt Brady does it very often, but I'm absolutely convinced that Bill has taught him to watch for certain things and make calls as he sees fit on the field, knowing that screw ups will be weighed.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Tox wrote: »

So much wasted talent.

I'd bet good money that he can and does. Because I'd be willing to bet that Belichick taught him to be able to do that, because if you can teach your QB to be good at that, why wouldn't you want that skill in your toolkit?

I'd doubt Brady does it very often, but I'm absolutely convinced that Bill has taught him to watch for certain things and make calls as he sees fit on the field, knowing that screw ups will be weighed.

Oh yeah, Brady will make audibles and the like at the line, absolutely, but those are pre-determined "If this, then that" situations as determined by his coach. This was not that. This was Rodgers in the huddle listening to the play called, going fuck that, and then creating a new one one the fly.

Do you honestly think Belichek would go for players completely overruling and disregarding any and everything he said? Of course not, but Belichek wouldnt have to worry about that since he may be the goat of the coaching world.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Most of our suspicions were correct. McCarthy was a fucking idiot that was saved by talent on the field. Rodgers was overriding McCarthy and making up plays in the huddle.

The reason behind Rodgers hatred of McCarthy may be petty, but I dont really care because he is right. McCarthy is a fucking idiot.
    That ridiculous throw to Jared Cook in the playoffs in 2017? Drawn up in the huddle. Rodgers told an uncovered guard to pull out with him, that he'd bait in a defender and dash left. "That's what you're dealing with," one former Packers coach says. "A guy who'll do that. He might screw up a play Mike called ... [but] you have to give him credit for the good, too."

So much wasted talent.

While the initial reason for Rodgers hatred was petty (McCarthy picked Alex Smith for the 49ers above him in the draft), it was pretty clear that for the most part, the contempt ended up being pretty well deserved.

And it's something that we've seen coaches do over and over again, trying to tailor their players to their plan, rather than adjusting their plans to fit the players they have. And outside of possibly one exception, it almost never seems to work. At best, you have exceptional players playing their best and underperforming because they're put into roles they're not good at (like sticking a 4-3 defensive star in a 3-4 defense), or you just get resentment, especially if the player knows his stats (and therefore his income) are going to suffer as a result.

Rodgers definitely deserved better than a decade plus of the Beav. That's a decade of what could have been. Rodgers may or may not be an arrogant jackass, but he's also a supremely talented QB, and it's hard to argue his career and the fate of the Packers weren't crushed by McCarthy.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Jesus that was fast.

No kidding I would go in assuming when you are building fan bases its going to take 2-3 years of probably losing money before you get enough viewership and fan loyalty to really start making money. If you try to start this expecting instant profits why even bother it ain't going to happen.