As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS] thread we dreaded updates for because RIP RBG

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular
    You probably don’t want to pack all at once without solving for lifetime appointments, preferably with some mechanism to make the appointment of replacement justices predictable

Imagine if Trump was able to pick 9 justices this presidential term

There's not a lot you can do without an amendment. A law at best just requires control of Congress and the Presidency as it can then be overridden.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But then we'll be just as bad as them, and both sides really will be the same! *wrings hands*
    So we can't ever kill the Joker, just keep bringing him in so he can inevitably escape and kill more people.

(I realize this is a really messed-up metaphor, and yet... it's pretty much where we're at?)

Is it a metaphor? The media was literally blaming Obama and the Democrats for kavenaugh and the other court packing schemes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    SCOTUS says "Poll Taxes are A-OK!"

Twitter is CNN.
    The Supreme Court has ruled that Florida can enforce a law barring ex-felons from voting if they still owe court fines or fees that they are unable to pay associated with their convictions

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    It is important to note that the amendment in question did not include any clause empowering the legislature with regards to its implementation. It simply stated their right to vote was restored after completing their sentence (including parole/probation periods). IANAL, but that seems to me like it's automatic. The moment the amendment came into effect their voting rights were restored - which means the actual effect of the law passed in Florida is to take away a group's existing right to vote by decree. The case should have been open and shut on that fact alone.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It is important to note that the amendment in question did not include any clause empowering the legislature with regards to its implementation. It simply stated their right to vote was restored after completing their sentence (including parole/probation periods). IANAL, but that seems to me like it's automatic. The moment the amendment came into effect their voting rights were restored - which means the actual effect of the law passed in Florida is to take away a group's existing right to vote by decree. The case should have been open and shut on that fact alone.

Sure, if you actually read the things in question.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Is there any estimate of how much the ex-felons collectively owe?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The law is "clarifying" that the fines and fees are part of your sentence, and therefore requiring them to be repaid as part of your restitution is allowed. There's a good in there in that court fines and fees can now be reviewed under cruel and unusual, etc.

This is how it works in virtually every state that removes voting access for felons and the best response is not "fuck that" it's to realize the problem is with the fines/fees themselves, not the consequences of not paying. Similarly, the problem is with removing voting rights, not the loopholes they use to not restore them

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The 11th circuit agreed it was probably unconstitutional when they overruled the lower court's restraining order against enforcing it, and SCOTUS offered no opinion at all on why they upheld that stay apart from a dissent pointing this out.

If I engage maximum devil's advocacy here, I can gin up a good faith reason to hesitate in terms of irrevocable harm.

Leaving the lower court's RO in place allows people to register in violation of the law in question. If, for some reason, every judge in this chain, currently nodding in agreement on the plaintiff's merits, is wrong, and they lose this case at trial, then every former felon who the courts sanctioned to go register to vote will suddenly have done so illegally, and will be committing a felony if they try to vote.

If that's a plausible scenario, it seems like a genuinely worse outcome than potentially preventing them from registering in time to vote this year.

But, if that was actually their reasoning, wouldn't they have said something to that effect and/or couldn't they have included instructions to the lower courts to expedite this matter?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    They would not have done so illegally so that's not really a concern.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Part of the massive MAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIVE fucking problem is that even Florida doesn't have that information or any real idea what it is.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Part of the massive MAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIVE fucking problem is that even Florida doesn't have that information or any real idea what it is.

And that was part of the 11th circuit's ruling! They were like "you can't say people can't vote until they fulfill a requirement and then not be able to provide them with the information to fulfill that requirement."

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    They would not have done so illegally so that's not really a concern.
    Oh, perhaps not! Took a peek at the statutes and they wouldn't have

104.011 - willfully affirmed falsely their eligibility to vote
    104.041 - committed fraud, or
    104.15 - been "knowingly unqualified" if their registration was retroactively voided. [Seems like it would be on the state to contact them or clean up the voting rolls in that scenario]

Well then I've got nothing, sorry Devil.

If either decision presents the possibility of improperly altering the election results by the same amount, then hedging in favor of the outcome you claim is less likely is logically bankrupt.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

And that was part of the 11th circuit's ruling! They were like "you can't say people can't vote until they fulfill a requirement and then not be able to provide them with the information to fulfill that requirement."

I thought we weren't sure how much was owed across the state, as like, an overarching value. I didn't realize that individuals were having a hard time finding how much they owed.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    The law is "clarifying" that the fines and fees are part of your sentence, and therefore requiring them to be repaid as part of your restitution is allowed. There's a good in there in that court fines and fees can now be reviewed under cruel and unusual, etc.

This is how it works in virtually every state that removes voting access for felons and the best response is not "fuck that" it's to realize the problem is with the fines/fees themselves, not the consequences of not paying. Similarly, the problem is with removing voting rights, not the loopholes they use to not restore them

Citation needed. In Illinois you can walk from the prison to a voter registration drive. Felon disenfranchisement ends with their imprisonment.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

I thought we weren't sure how much was owed across the state, as like, an overarching value. I didn't realize that individuals were having a hard time finding how much they owed.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/supreme-court-florida-felons-poll-tax.html
    A group of well-trained, highly educated individuals—a professor specializing in this field with a team of doctoral candidates from a major research university—made diligent efforts over a long period to obtain [court debt] information on 153 randomly selected felons. They found that information was often unavailable over the internet or by telephone and that, remarkably, there were inconsistencies in the available information for all but 3 of the 153 individuals.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

The other part of that massive fucking problem, is that some courts were just throwing out wild numbers during sentencing, because fuck it, it's not like the convicted were going to be able to pay anyway. And if they won the lottery after release, or something similar, hey, windfall.

When this first came to light, I saw some people who had relatively minor offenses, and the financial costs were in the low to mid six figure range.

• Options

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/supreme-court-florida-felons-poll-tax.html
    A group of well-trained, highly educated individuals—a professor specializing in this field with a team of doctoral candidates from a major research university—made diligent efforts over a long period to obtain [court debt] information on 153 randomly selected felons. They found that information was often unavailable over the internet or by telephone and that, remarkably, there were inconsistencies in the available information for all but 3 of the 153 individuals.

I'm thinking that something is criminal here, and it's not the former felons.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    moniker wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

Citation needed. In Illinois you can walk from the prison to a voter registration drive. Felon disenfranchisement ends with their imprisonment.

https://aclu.org/issues/voting-rights/voter-restoration/felony-disenfranchisement-laws-map
    Spoiler'ing the map because big
    41lwdd77wfe7.jpg
    (Mint) - Everyone has the right to vote. (2 states, not relevant to conversation)
    (Red) - All people with felony convictions are permanently disenfranchised. (3 states, not relevant to conversation)
    (Blue/Green) - People in prison and on parole cannot vote. All other people with criminal convictions, including people on probation, can vote. (3 states, functionally the same as your example)
    (Orange/Yellow) - Some people with felony convictions cannot vote. (6 states, including Florida)
    (Orange) - People with felony convictions can vote upon completion of sentence. (19 states, what I incorrectly claimed was "virtually every" example)
    (Blue) - People in prison cannot vote. Everyone else can vote. (17 states, your counter-example)

Looking at the Orange/Yellow, it basically means some folks, once convicted, never get to vote again, but others can regain the right to vote once they've completed their sentence. Between those and the regular Orange categories, that's 25 out of the 45 states that take away voting rights and then restore them. 20 states only remove the right to vote while imprisoned, plus or minus parole.

So I did overspeak, but my underlying point was that what Florida is doing is consistent with the majority. That doesn't make it right, it just makes it commonplace.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    RBG has re-begun chemotherapy because her cancer is back.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53451208

Fuck.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

Fuck.

Considering the current state of the pandemic, now is a really awful time to become immunocompromised.

I mean, cancer waits for no one, so I understand the urgency. But even so, this does NOT bode well.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    She's survived pancreatic cancer twice...

This one is liver.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I guess the 'good' news is that they found about it in May, and began chemotherapy then, with getting a good prognosis last week that the lesions were lessened and no new disease. Still...

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Isn't pancreatic usually way worse than liver?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    My wife is an oncologist and has been saying for awhile now that Ginsburg is probably not going to survive much longer. She assumed that her cancer would resurface or another one would form based off what information she could gather from various press sectors and publicly available information. Hopefully she can make it through this election cycle but my wife does not think she can make it 4 more after that if the current regiment is put back into the White House.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Both are pretty bad.

A lot has to do with how early it's caught and if / how far it's spread.

I think both are in high single / low double digits for 5 year survival.

Fortunately, she's probably receiving some of the best medical attention possible and this was caught as early as feasible. On the other hand, she's old and has lots of underlying issues.

God this whole situation makes me feel like a ghoul. But at the same time countless thousands of lives rely on her not getting replaced by another Kavanaugh-level shithead that will help the GOP take away healthcare, lock people in cages, and let employers work them to death without recourse among other things.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    As long as the democratic establishment refuses to recognize that the GOP is already packing the courts and has no intention of ever acting in good faith...

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Yeah, I'm saying she's tough as hell and gets great medical treatment. Needs to make it to the end of December if we can take the Senate.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    This doesn't add much to this, but cancer sucks.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    She's tough as hell and I respect her more than nearly anyone else.

But she should have retired in 2013.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Fuck.

I’m going to end up voting for Cthulhu in November. Not because LOL Biden sucks, but because Cthulhu will actually have risen from the sea and his name will be on the ballot.

Just six more months RBG, you can do it!

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I just have to add

I really like the thought that we all heard her listening to arguments from her toilet

Kickass tough as hell justices! They’re just like us!

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I'll be real, unless we get the senate, if Mitch is still SML, he will just never schedule a vote on any replacement.

It'll be galling, but America has had four years of getting used to galling overreach.

I mean shit, we gave him a pass on stealing the last one.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »
    I'll be real, unless we get the senate, if Mitch is still SML, he will just never schedule a vote on any replacement.

It'll be galling, but America has had four years of getting used to galling overreach.

If we win the presidency, and after say, a year of Mitch not scheduling a vote, I'd be writing angry letters every day to have the VP schedule a vote.

• Options
    edited July 2020

If we win the presidency, and after say, a year of Mitch not scheduling a vote, I'd be writing angry letters every day to have the VP schedule a vote.

I think he'll schedule the votes. Garland was a special case, normally votes against our violent, anarchist judges should have been a feather in the caps of his members.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

I'm not going to wait a year. I'd barely be ok with waiting a week.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Biden will hopefully do what Obama should have done in the first place when McConnell refuses to hold a vote - declare Congress has abdicated their responsibility and claim to vote on Supreme Court nominees and tell nominee to report on Monday.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Biden will hopefully do what Obama should have done in the first place when McConnell refuses to hold a vote - declare Congress has abdicated their responsibility and claim to vote on Supreme Court nominees and tell nominee to report on Monday.

Or we could win the Senate. It's not at all a ridiculous scenario. I broke it down in the OP of the election thread we can have now.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Narrator: He will not.

(IMO, Biden is far too committed to the futile hope of cooperation and letting the GOP have every chance to inevitably betray.)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Narrator: He will not.

(IMO, Biden is far too committed to the futile hope of cooperation and letting the GOP have every chance to inevitably betray.)

Recent comments have been inching away from that, but who knows by how much he is actually changing on it.

This discussion has been closed.