Options

[Hades II] These deities are hotter than Hades (Early Access NOW)

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    In my last sword run, I took Poseidon aspect but never got a decent cast, lost both of my Death Defiances to the Furies like a huge loser, then got rapid attack hammer into 30% attack speed Hermes boon into sword beam hammer, bought back both Death Defiances from Athena and Charon, and machine-gunned my way to a win.

It did not do much to dissuade me from my opinion that the sword sucks outside of lucky high-roll runs.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Okay rail + poseidon special boon + the special has boosted damage and can hurt you mod = busted. 700 damage giant AOE

A very nearly flawless zero-damage-taken hades fight

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Nemesis Aspect for sword is the most consistent outside of Hidden imo

30% isn't super high but it combines well with pretty much any Hammer upgrade and boon and crits are triple damage so....

Poseidon Aspect for the sword is very much "did you get a good cast" because if the answer is no you're going to have a bad fucking time lmao

• Options
    oops! all doom

MdeNfwp.png?1

funny when you volley special twice with 12 arrows per volley and get 900-1k dmg dooms

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yesterday, I beat up dad. Today I shot and grenaded dad. +1 piece of evidence for the argument that railgun runs live and die by hammer upgrades.
    i3yb6nnspvh7.jpg

Not shown: Homing bullets from the second Hammer upgrade and support fire from Artemis. If I can't blow you up, I can make you disappear in a hail of bullets and arrows.

The second phase of the final fight was actually easier than the first. Every time he tried the lasers I'd hide behind a pillar and lob 500-damage grenades.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    oh my god so

This is a stream from the end boss where the guy got all the Vengance boons (proc on damage) and defeated Hades by... standing still and doing nothing.

It's hilarious.
    Actual "fight" is at 37 minutes, tried to link it to the correct time.

https://youtu.be/1Rhu1p0Ck9M?t=2209

• Options
    After trying maxed out Hestia aspect for exagryph i can say it is probably the least dependent on hammer upgrades since its entire playstyle revolves around constantly reloading for railgun level dmg compared to normal shots

So you want % boons instead of the normal flat dmg/status for main attack so you can hit for 400-600+ per boosted shot depending on chaos boons/backstab bonuses

Other than ricochet fire none of the regular hammer upgrades do much, but ricochet is also inconsistent for duping that first shot on another target since the ricochets don't always bounce properly

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    After 20+ clears it’s clear that the duo boon where
    standalone casts do AOE lightning damage
    is an auto-win combination. Just set it, dash around, try not to get hit, and forget it. Couple it with a heat-seeking Call to get the DPS up.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Oh my lord, combining the Poseidon boon that causes extra splash damage for knocking enemies into walls with the legendary boon for extra knockbacks is hilarious in Styx.

All those tiny rooms become instant death traps.

Edit: I only have Poseidon on my dash, so for every room but the last of each section, I mostly need to dash like, once, and start the chain reaction of explosions.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Oh my lord, combining the Poseidon boon that causes extra splash damage for knocking enemies into walls with the legendary boon for extra knockbacks is hilarious in Styx.

All those tiny rooms become instant death traps.

Edit: I only have Poseidon on my dash, so for every room but the last of each section, I mostly need to dash like, once, and start the chain reaction of explosions.

Similar to the run i just had when I used Hades-aspect Spear with the hammer buffs for my spin attack.

Stand in centre of room - spin to win

erryting ded

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Just got to the credits!

Seriously this game is the best game I've played all year... I know there are still quite a few coming out in the next coming weeks but holy shit this game is top 10 best of all time for me. Everything about it is satisfying.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    In my last run I had Exogryph with the Poseidon knockback and extra-wall-explosions... and then the hammer and hermes upgrades for extra rate of fire (+50% or so combined?)
    As soon as anything hit a wall, it would take like 1000 damage in half a second. Hilarious.

I'm so sad knockback does nothing against bosses.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    In my last run I had Exogryph with the Poseidon knockback and extra-wall-explosions... and then the hammer and hermes upgrades for extra rate of fire (+50% or so combined?)
    As soon as anything hit a wall, it would take like 1000 damage in half a second. Hilarious.

I'm so sad knockback does nothing against bosses.

There is a boon that gives +~20% damage for knockback effects vs bosses (at level 1). If you can manage the crazy wombo-combo Poseiden build it's a nice feather in the cap for the last boss.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I will spoil this just in case but its only boss intro dialogue
    One of the intro comments Zagreus talking to the Hydra says "why don't I call you Lernie" or something to that effect

I just about lost it when after killing it, the banner said "Lernie Vanquished"

Kai_San on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I managed a win with the secret sword aspect and a full Demeter build. Casts that chilled and stayed out forever. I chilled when I cast and when I got hit. 10 chill stacks exploded enemies and gave chill to nearby. Finally, enemies down to 10% hp died and exploded more chill (which I didn’t know worked on bosses).

That was a *puts on sunglasses* cool run.

YEEEEEEEEAH!!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I will spoil this just in case but its only boss intro dialogue
    One of the intro comments Zagreus talking to the Hydra says "why don't I call you Lernie" or something to that effect

I just about lost it when after killing it, the banner said "Lernie Vanquished"
    that's not the only place that shows up -- its name is Lernie from then on

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    OMG I put on the Athena keepsake. First room in Asphodel a Hermes boon shows up and he even has dialogue to the effect of "Oh hey were you expecting Athena nope I managed to get here first I guess."

Absalon on
  • Options
    If they do decide to do any form of DLC:
    id like to see a Red Shade fan Keepsake. Have it look like a big foam finger. Its effect would be to have shades cheer loudly during a boss fight and throw you rewards (Gems, gold, food, Darkness) after you Win (greater rewards per level up). Basically like the Poseidon boon that gives you loot.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    OMG I put on the Athena keepsake. First room in Asphodel a Hermes boon shows up and he even has dialogue to the effect of "Oh hey where you expecting Athena nope I managed to get here first I guess."

That happens with pretty much every Olympian keepsake in Asphodel.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Finished a run with the sword... Had a crazy high Athena Call spell (level 7 I think) with the sword skill that reduces your health but you gain HP per hit. I then went for "if you get hit you generate more God gauge" and so every time I got hit once or twice I had around 6 seconds of immunity so I could wail on someone to get my health back (while generating more God gauge).

Only died once... Hades hits pretty hard when you only have 60HP lol.

• Options
    Can someone spoiler what happens when you get someone maxed? I got Charon maxed and his gift has an icon on it but I don't think it does anything different.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Can someone spoiler what happens when you get someone maxed? I got Charon maxed and his gift has an icon on it but I don't think it does anything different.
    I think that's pretty much all you get, just an icon that says "You have maxed their friendship." You get Cthonic Companions (summons) from six characters, but I think that happens before the Bond Forged notice anyway.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

It depends on the character, in Charon's case
    It just means you've got all his lore and gift dialogue and got that little icon on his keepsake

For a certain group of NPCS (I'll nest spoilers so you can see who before seeing what they do)
    Meg, Than, Dusa, Skelly, Sisyphus and Achilles
    Getting them to a certain point will cause them to ask for a favor, completing that favor and giving them ambrosia will unlock companions (small animals/dolls/etc). Which can be used to summon the character for an attack.

This doesn't require Maxing them just giving them the first ambrosia. But those characters have lore events that are worth maxing them for.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Credits get! Actually somewhat disappointed as
    I had a murder-machine of a build going and then nope, no boss fight for you.

Decided to try and check off all the Pacts I hadn't done afterwards. It's just going from Heat 3 to Heat 16, no biggie right?

...underworld customs suuuuuucks. So does the crossed-off boon thing. But I got to the final boss, and mostly lost because I got sloppy.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Got credits! I think I am going to try for the epilogue, and to finish up some peoples quests. I wasn't really looking to 100% this but I don't think it will take that much longer.

I just had a banger of a run tonight, wasted on a 0 heat sword, because I never finished a run with sword:
    Not shown, the boon that grants extra bolt jumps, and my dash had bolts too. beM7iGq.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I think I'll have to explore the use of calls somewhat more. I mostly avoid these, but today I managed a run with the gloves and an upgraded Aphrodite's Call - it never went above 25%, but it filled up in very little time. Hades himself was under its influence most of the final fight. I almost felt sorry for him, though I suspect it was his happiest ten minutes in a long time.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Finished a run with the sword... Had a crazy high Athena Call spell (level 7 I think) with the sword skill that reduces your health but you gain HP per hit. I then went for "if you get hit you generate more God gauge" and so every time I got hit once or twice I had around 6 seconds of immunity so I could wail on someone to get my health back (while generating more God gauge).

Only died once... Hades hits pretty hard when you only have 60HP lol.

I thought that hammer would suck, but it's not hard to get back up to 90ish health, and you really do heal so quickly. I did quite well in my run with it, although I was very pissed to discover that there's no heal on dash attack, after getting the 2x dash attack hammer.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Decided to try the Guan Yu spear again. Maxed it out and took it for a spin. Did not like it really.

The heal part of it is negligible. It's 1 per hit on the spin attack, which against a single mob usually only means 2-3 health per spin attack. It works better against groups of mobs but even then you have to factor in the time stationary and the risk of getting hit and that the charge time makes it hard to spam. I don't think the regen is anywhere near worth the 50% less health total that comes with it. You basically already have to be good enough at not getting hit to mitigate the lower health that the regen doesn't really contribute much.

Where it is good, is that all of the other moves hit harder. I managed to pull through on level 3 of extremem measures by leaning almost entirely on a buffed up special. With Artemis on special I was landing something like 1.2k crits. Also needed Patroclus to refresh 2 death defiance otherwise the run would have died in Elysium.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I had gotten upgrades to both speed up the charge and make them last longer for that spear and it was pretty decent. My only issue was I didn’t get to rank it up so I had like 20 health to start or something silly. Was nearly impossible to overcome that low health eventually.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Decided to try the Guan Yu spear again. Maxed it out and took it for a spin. Did not like it really.

The heal part of it is negligible. It's 1 per hit on the spin attack, which against a single mob usually only means 2-3 health per spin attack. It works better against groups of mobs but even then you have to factor in the time stationary and the risk of getting hit and that the charge time makes it hard to spam. I don't think the regen is anywhere near worth the 50% less health total that comes with it. You basically already have to be good enough at not getting hit to mitigate the lower health that the regen doesn't really contribute much.

Where it is good, is that all of the other moves hit harder. I managed to pull through on level 3 of extremem measures by leaning almost entirely on a buffed up special. With Artemis on special I was landing something like 1.2k crits. Also needed Patroclus to refresh 2 death defiance otherwise the run would have died in Elysium.

Basically the only way to make Guan Yu good is to get stupid lucky and get Quick Spin (spin charges faster) from the Hammer, and then one of the other upgrades that affects the Spin attack: Winged Serpent (spin blade stays on the field 80% longer, meaning more heal ticks if you land it right), Flaring Spin (30% damage resistance & can't be interrupted while charging), or Massive Spin (just makes spin blade really big).

Thing is, you can ONLY get 2 hammers per run, and the things it offers are fixed (can't re-roll with Fated Persuasion), so yeah, Guan Yu just sucks. I feel like for it to be actually good Supergiant should remove or at least reduce the life total ding (I think they can leave the penalty to heal pickups because the point is to get most of your healing from the spear itself). But yeah basically if you want it to work you HAVE to use the Old Spiked Collar and that's dumb.

Speaking of trinkets though:
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Credits get! Actually somewhat disappointed as
    I had a murder-machine of a build going and then nope, no boss fight for you.

Decided to try and check off all the Pacts I hadn't done afterwards. It's just going from Heat 3 to Heat 16, no biggie right?

...underworld customs suuuuuucks. So does the crossed-off boon thing. But I got to the final boss, and mostly lost because I got sloppy.

So, one thing that can be worth trying? If you're using Underworld Customs and/or the crossed off boon (I actually dislike the crossed off boons *more*: customs makes me feel like I at least have a choice, plus the extra gold from dumping off stuff can be nice) (the WORST THING was when one of the crossed-off ones was a Prophecy and I was like NOOOOOOOO) is to use the maxed Shattered Shackle keepsake (+80% damage to attack, special, and cast when those are NOT empowered by a Boon). It's not a lot of extra damage compared to what many of the Boons can actually do, *but* it means that if you're stuck dumping off a boon, you're not completely SOL with your damage on those. And I *think* it still works if you've got, say, a Dash or a Call or other effects.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    OMG I put on the Athena keepsake. First room in Asphodel a Hermes boon shows up and he even has dialogue to the effect of "Oh hey where you expecting Athena nope I managed to get here first I guess."

At least Hermes doesn't actually waste the keepsake charge. Would that Daedalus was so kind. I had a run recently where in Asphodel I equipped the Dionysus charm and he got put up against a hammer, and then in Elysium I equipped the Athena charm and she got put up against another hammer. I've been afraid to touch those keepsakes ever since.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Yeah, I did not get particularly lucky with hammer upgrades for Guan Yu. Picked up the massive spin initially, charged skewer for the later upgrade. If the healing was better it might be interesting, perhaps a scaled % of damage done. As it is, I found it barely passable against groups and essentially worthless against bosses. Compares particularly poorly to the sword's cursed slash which does 2 health per hit on the main attack.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    When I cleared with Guan Yu, I don't think I did a single spin attack. It was all about the special, which hits like a truck.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

At least Hermes doesn't actually waste the keepsake charge. Would that Daedalus was so kind. I had a run recently where in Asphodel I equipped the Dionysus charm and he got put up against a hammer, and then in Elysium I equipped the Athena charm and she got put up against another hammer. I've been afraid to touch those keepsakes ever since.

Oh yeah, with Hermes it's more of a cute little interaction. Which is nice since he's probably the best bro as far as the Olympians go.

Late Game Spoilers
    Especially since as far as I've gotten he doesn't narc on what's going on to the other Olympians.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »

I’ve had that happen too (Hammer vs a trinket boon) and noticed the “1” icon next to the trinket doesn’t expire until you take the appropriate boon. Should be then that the next good boon is the one of your god’s trinket.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    altid wrote: »

Basically the only way to make Guan Yu good is to get stupid lucky and get Quick Spin (spin charges faster) from the Hammer, and then one of the other upgrades that affects the Spin attack: Winged Serpent (spin blade stays on the field 80% longer, meaning more heal ticks if you land it right), Flaring Spin (30% damage resistance & can't be interrupted while charging), or Massive Spin (just makes spin blade really big).

Thing is, you can ONLY get 2 hammers per run, and the things it offers are fixed (can't re-roll with Fated Persuasion), so yeah, Guan Yu just sucks. I feel like for it to be actually good Supergiant should remove or at least reduce the life total ding (I think they can leave the penalty to heal pickups because the point is to get most of your healing from the spear itself). But yeah basically if you want it to work you HAVE to use the Old Spiked Collar and that's dumb.

If Guan Yu was a flat -50% health I'd try to figure it out, but tying that to Titan's Blood makes it feel mandatory to cap. And I'm not going to spend 15 Titan's Blood on an aspect I hate when there are aspects that are exciting from the unlock.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah I do not like most of the unlocks for weapons. I never use the charge up for the shield, so the bonus throws one is useless to me. Half the time after charging I still only see 1 shield come out (I upgraded it to 3), I dont know if they are stacked or what.

For spear I liked the teleport one, but I generally just use the throw for ranged to begin with, and I dont want to move to it. But I slowly got accustomed to it. The gun where you shoot yourself seems to work out pretty well usually, and the bow where you get tracking special seems amazing. The gloves with the magnetic cutter has been pretty good too.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They do stack.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    The hidden aspect of the bow is more my style, except I focus more on the special than its synergy with the attack. Protip: focus on the Ares boons and increase doom damage.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Beaten Hades 11 times, so I now need to think long and hard whether I want to continue with more runs/increase difficulty or if I'm just going to move on to the next game. It is so good, but I already spent 40+ hours on it and there's this massive backlog I could delve into.

I'll keep it installed, for sure.