As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken (and the Furious): Tokyo Drifter

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was messing about in the crucible, figuring out my loadout for next season, and it turns out that Mountaintop is really good even when paired with an SMG. I imagine that when I’m not shackled to an SMG for my quest steps, it’s gonna be nasty. Especially with the upcoming quick access sling fix + shotgun nerf.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm seriously considering a heavy Comp push early next season to try to hit 2100 while everyone's fucking around with SMGs, maybe finally bang this Luna out.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Ugh, don't drag me back into Comp!
    Particularly with Anthem and Apex, it's gonna be hard to find the time to make a 2100 push.

But unlike everybody else on the planet, I actually want that SMG (tho am mad it's Energy, it should be Kinetic so I can rock Tyranny of Heaven).

• Options
    It's not like we'd even have to play for that long though, just smash face up to 2100 and then be on our merry way.

• Options
    Also this Gambit armor is pretty legit:

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I love the idea of Gear Sets. Give us those for Raids please. And general PvE. And much less powerful type stuff for PvP.

I worry that due to the competitive nature of Gambit Prime, though, and the crazy power of those set bonuses that they are less "nice things to have" and more "mandatory if you want to compete". Which I don't really like.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Yooooooo this narrative preview is neato some would say to the degree of a burrito:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47656

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I love the idea of Gear Sets. Give us those for Raids please. And general PvE. And much less powerful type stuff for PvP.

I worry that due to the competitive nature of Gambit Prime, though, and the crazy power of those set bonuses that they are less "nice things to have" and more "mandatory if you want to compete". Which I don't really like.

On the other hand, why would you play Gambit Prime if you're not going to be chasing the gameplay modifications that the armor set brings?
    I guess what I mean is - why go into the mode designed to emphasize these sets if you don't want to encourage the sets? It seems the explicit goal to bring Gambit a chase commodity, and a place to use it.

Do these armor sets modify behavior in basic Gambit?

• Options
    Ugh, don't drag me back into Comp!
    Particularly with Anthem and Apex, it's gonna be hard to find the time to make a 2100 push.

But unlike everybody else on the planet, I actually want that SMG (tho am mad it's Energy, it should be Kinetic so I can rock Tyranny of Heaven).

I also wanted it to be a kinetic, but why Tyranny of Heaven, specifically? That Monarque dot effect is so nice.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    My concern with sets is that people are going to look at a character who’s not “properly” geared and push away from them.

Ive gotten a bunch of that before I got Whisper, including “Whisper’s been available since summer how do you not have it?” and “Whisper is mandatory for xyz content.” I hate that shit.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    My concern with sets is that people are going to look at a character who’s not “properly” geared and push away from them.

Ive gotten a bunch of that before I got Whisper, including “Whisper’s been available since summer how do you not have it?” and “Whisper is mandatory for xyz content.” I hate that shit.

Yeah, that's legit. It helps to play with friendos, but randoms will hate on people. Gjallahorn or Go Home 2.0 may absolutely be a thing in this new world.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

On the other hand, why would you play Gambit Prime if you're not going to be chasing the gameplay modifications that the armor set brings?
    I guess what I mean is - why go into the mode designed to emphasize these sets if you don't want to encourage the sets? It seems the explicit goal to bring Gambit a chase commodity, and a place to use it.

The armor sets can only be chased in the Reckoning. So what it will feel like is that there is no reason to go into Gambit Prime until you've sufficiently grinded Reckoning otherwise you will be a detriment to your team due purely to gear.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular

The armor sets can only be chased in the Reckoning. So what it will feel like is that there is no reason to go into Gambit Prime until you've sufficiently grinded Reckoning otherwise you will be a detriment to your team due purely to gear.

Yeah, there's a potential problem of "I like Gambit Prime and want to play it, but in order to compete I am forced to play Reckoning which I do not enjoy"

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    You have to play Gambit Prime to get the doodads to plug into Reckoning to get the fancy Gambit Prime armor, it really is a loop. I don't think you can grind one without doing the other, so all I can hope is that Reckoning is fun or painless enough to make that cool.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    You have to play Gambit Prime to get the doodads to plug into Reckoning to get the fancy Gambit Prime armor, it really is a loop. I don't think you can grind one without doing the other, so all I can hope is that Reckoning is fun or painless enough to make that cool.

Yeah, you have to do Gambit Prime first so there's likely to be some level of constant churn of new or incomplete-set-wearing people in Gambit Prime.

I guess we'll see how it all goes in 24 hours.

• Options
    Strangely I feel like I'm more interested in Reckoning than Gambit Prime (at least based on the initial description), so I'm in an outlier segment I guess.

Either way, it's more the notion of "play with friends, because Randoms can hate you" and friends don't mind friends coming in less than perfect.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think reckoning sounds cool. Any wave based stuff is usually my jam. I don’t love that it looks like one long hallway, but maybe it will be more dynamic than that. And I’m looking forward to getting back into Gambit as well.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    I'm interested in giving gambit a second chance after the new stuff was shown off. I like the direction they're moving in - hopefully it's fully-baked.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Shit. I don't remember when I played last. Was last week a third week in Dreaming City? I think I missed one. :(

EDIT: Yep, missed a truth to power. Damn. Anyone happen to know if you miss one, if you get two the next time or if you're just behind forever?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Shit. I don't remember when I played last. Was last week a third week in Dreaming City? I think I missed one. :(

EDIT: Yep, missed a truth to power. Damn. Anyone happen to know if you miss one, if you get two the next time or if you're just behind forever?

Behind forever, sadly

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options

Nope, no way to catch up but waiting for 3 weeks per lore piece after everyone else is done.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    nooo reading the new lore on bungie dot com is getting me hype about destiny again :cry:

cool stuff:
    Apparently ghosts can't be destroyed regular physical weaponry, and the rifleman's bullet was a thorn-esque weapon of sorrow

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Seth Dickinson was tweeting some displeasure that more of his lovely lore will likely be datamined and consumed in one immediate burst, rather than via smaller weekly bursts — all of which means: hurray! more Seth Dickinson lore!

• Options
    edited March 2019
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    nooo reading the new lore on bungie dot com is getting me hype about destiny again :cry:

cool stuff:
    Apparently ghosts can't be destroyed regular physical weaponry, and the rifleman's bullet was a thorn-esque weapon of sorrow

Interesting to note:
    Didn't Callum Sol kill his ghost by stabbing it with a Thorn bullet?

EDIT: Typo

EDIT 2:
    "Callum had his Ghost in his left hand. It was silent. With his right, he had stabbed her through the optics with a sickly dagger—a tool carved from the jagged spikes fired from a weapon I shall not name."

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Yooooooo this narrative preview is neato some would say to the degree of a burrito:

Right...
    ...starting not to mind very much if the Drifter arranges for something to happen to Aunor. Like, I get why someone would think the Drifter's sketchy but I was running my ass off down a lot of floors to get to Cayde when he and his Ghost ate it. Screw you for thinking I handed the Barons the bullet, lady.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Right...
    ...starting not to mind very much if the Drifter arranges for something to happen to Aunor. Like, I get why someone would think the Drifter's sketchy but I was running my ass off down a lot of floors to get to Cayde when he and his Ghost ate it. Screw you for thinking I handed the Barons the bullet, lady.

You misunderstand. Read the follow-up: https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47655

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Vagabond wrote: »

Right...

You misunderstand. Read the follow-up: https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47655

I did.
    Still don't like 'I needed to know if I could trust the Guardian that let Cayde die' very much.

• Options

Right...

I did.
    Still don't like 'I needed to know if I could trust the Guardian that let Cayde die' very much.
    I think that Aunor is going to enlist us to oust the Drifter, and she needed to do that due diligence so her motives are above reproach. I don't think she ever actually believed we gave a Thorn bullet to the Scorn Barons.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options

Right...

I did.
    I think that Aunor is going to enlist us to oust the Drifter, and she needed to do that due diligence so her motives are above reproach. I don't think she ever actually believed we gave a Thorn bullet to the Scorn Barons.
    I can see that. I can also see her overreaching in her efforts to take the Drifter down to (rough quote) 'save the Vanguard from themselves' just because they don't wanna put him out of the City right away if not put him down like she advised.

• Options

Right...

I did.
    I can see that. I can also see her overreaching in her efforts to take the Drifter down to (rough quote) 'save the Vanguard from themselves' just because they don't wanna put him out of the City right away if not put him down like she advised.
    She's Praxic Fire, that's kind of their M.O.[/spoilers]

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    this is getting me really hype for the allegiance quest

dare I dream that it will actually be a nuanced, well written dilemma?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    this is getting me really hype for the allegiance quest

dare I dream that it will actually be a nuanced, well written dilemma?

Out of game? Yes. In game? "Do 3 Heroic Strikes, 5 Public Events, and 10 Lost Sectors for the Vanguard." vs "Win 5 Gambit Prime matches, defeat 10 Guardians as an Invader, steal 20 Motes from the opposing team's bank."

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    So there’s the moment in the trailer where
    somebody says to Drifter “Dredgen?” And he replies, paraphrasing, “That’s not me anymore”

So they just gave that away, huh?

• Options
    somebody says to Drifter “Dredgen?” And he replies, paraphrasing, “That’s not me anymore”

Besides bait-n-switch trailer editing, latest lore-entries have made Dredgen an actual in-verse title some Guardians that are running Gambit are calling themselves. If the question was asked towards the Drifter and he did respond that way, he could be simply saying he's not like those same Guardians.

• Options

I think it's been understood-if-not-directly-spoken that the Drifter was a Dredgen running with the Shadows of Yor in the past.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

The community for this game will never, even if you are sporting glowing runes declaring so, let you do the thing you wanna do. I've wiped 33 guardians and lost. I've lost 50+ motes and won. I no longer care what "people" will "let" me do. The new systems are awesome. If I get to play my role, fuckin' awesome. If not, pugs gunna pug. The new systems look cool as hell and i'm not letting the potential for shitty randoms dissuade me.

Hit me up if you need an invader/sentry.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Konphujun wrote: »

The community for this game will never, even if you are sporting glowing runes declaring so, let you do the thing you wanna do. I've wiped 33 guardians and lost. I've lost 50+ motes and won. I no longer care what "people" will "let" me do. The new systems are awesome. If I get to play my role, fuckin' awesome. If not, pugs gunna pug. The new systems look cool as hell and i'm not letting the potential for shitty randoms dissuade me.

Hit me up if you need an invader/sentry.

I’m with you sir. I play how I want generally and that’s done me fine so far. I’ve just seen people be shitty about others loadouts.

I have no tolerance for that anymore.

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

I think it's been understood-if-not-directly-spoken that the Drifter was a Dredgen running with the Shadows of Yor in the past.
    edte403zpsw7.jpg

awsimo on
  • Options
    hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    Hey duders,

I played D2 on the PS4 at launch but stopped before Osiris released.
    I've since built a PC and got the base game for free / bought Forsaken and I've been really enjoying it again.
    It feels good to play an FPS on a M&KB again! Go figure.

My question is that I'm a bit stuck on how I should be spending my time.
    I've just finished the Osiris campaign and my hunter is at something like 265.
    I tried to jump in to Warmind, but it recommends 310 before starting. I began the first mission and had skull icons on Thralls, so I should probably leave it for now. :P

Should I just be doing my milestones for engrams every day and keep doing adventures on Mercury?
    I assumed I would just be able to infuse my favourite weapons to boost my LL, but it seems that infusion is waaaaay more expensive now.
    I read that you can buy infusion materials from an NPC in Forsaken, but I can't talk to them yet, for obvious reasons.
    Should I just give up on infusion and grind out LL the old fashioned way?

I do have my level boost, but I want to save that for my second guardian. I'd rather play through the DLCs as normal at least once.
    Sorry if this is all real dumb stuff. There's been so many changes to the game since I last played, so I don't know what the consensus is on raising LL nowadays.