As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] 3.7 "Legion" league launches June 7th

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Hold up a second.

Cyclone is channelled now?!

HC VIABLE?!?!

I might actually try out max block cyclone this time. Spells were nice last league, but cyclone's new AOE looks sweet and life on hit did provide more healing.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I have to say I was kind of sad that cyclone was made channelling as its buff. It means some really fun meme things with it now but eh.

But at least we got traditional cyclone back with bladstorm by the looks of it heh.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Cyclone being channelled does mean it can be supported by Infused Channeling now though which is some great damage reduction and hey, more damage multiplier.

Characters
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I have to say I was kind of sad that cyclone was made channelling as its buff. It means some really fun meme things with it now but eh.

But at least we got traditional cyclone back with bladstorm by the looks of it heh.

Know what would be f'n sweet?

AwC.

Imagine Spectral Shield Throw while Cycloning.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Oh my stars. The targeting changes are amazing.

They're just gutting the jank wholesale. Combat quality of life has arrived.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Rius wrote: »
    I really need to watch that long video

It is a delight. The presenter takes a bit to warm up to talking properly but he has a LOT of cool things to show off. There are neat explanations as to why various systems didn't feel good before, and the why and how of their improvements.

A fun example is the pathfinding system. It used to use cardinal directions north, east, south and west. That's four directions. Thazzit. What happens when you want to go diagonally? Well, that might be N, E, N, E, N, E. Now their pathfinder uses eight, so you and the monsters can pick a diagonal NE like real boys! This'll be handy for stuff like shield charge tossing you headlong into a nearby wall instead of down a corridor.

I really liked a bit where he got into how they added hitboxes to attacks. It turns out that in the old system, Hillock's big swing would deal damage at some early point rather than anywhere near what would look right, but even funkier, monsters didn't have anything like a facing. They would hit you if you were within range. Now, their hitboxes originate from and travel with their relevant animations, so if mister Hillock swings ahead of himself, you can dodge to either side. Or if he swings to his left, his right is a safe place to be.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options

I'm watching it right now and the expressions of Tarke, Raiz, & Octavian whenever Jon says something about the new changes is incredible.

Characters
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    This is why i support GGG

between this one and betrayal one, Jonathan is such an enthusiastic and excited dude about what hes working on and hes only getting better at presenting it

GGG has all my money forever

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Jonathan: "You know, one of the things for me, is that I feel like the game has been getting too easy..."

Raiz's reaction: o_o

Characters
  • Options
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    That really depends on how much you actually know of the game's systems and how much time you put in to really maximizing your character, plus a hefty bit of RNG.

Also, a more accessible game gets you more players.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I'm ok with an easy game with optional, extremely hard content for the hardcore people.

I'm probably never going to do an Uber Elder. But it's there! I know people do it! I could be one of those people doing it! (No. No, I won't.)

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    (do ittttttt)

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Basil wrote: »

This has me excited. Despite GGG being a great company, and a lot of the systems in PoE being interesting, I could never get past the janky combat and movement. It just felt like sludge compared to APRG's built even 15 years ago. Glad they are finally getting around to gutting it because it was the primary barrier to me playing this. For me, all the cool progression systems in the world can't make up for the moment to moment game play feeling bad.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

It is a delight. The presenter takes a bit to warm up to talking properly but he has a LOT of cool things to show off. There are neat explanations as to why various systems didn't feel good before, and the why and how of their improvements.

A fun example is the pathfinding system. It used to use cardinal directions north, east, south and west. That's four directions. Thazzit. What happens when you want to go diagonally? Well, that might be N, E, N, E, N, E. Now their pathfinder uses eight, so you and the monsters can pick a diagonal NE like real boys! This'll be handy for stuff like shield charge tossing you headlong into a nearby wall instead of down a corridor.

I really liked a bit where he got into how they added hitboxes to attacks. It turns out that in the old system, Hillock's big swing would deal damage at some early point rather than anywhere near what would look right, but even funkier, monsters didn't have anything like a facing. They would hit you if you were within range. Now, their hitboxes originate from and travel with their relevant animations, so if mister Hillock swings ahead of himself, you can dodge to either side. Or if he swings to his left, his right is a safe place to be.

This is really cool of them to talk about. All prime examples of just getting something complex prototyped and working so they can keep working on other systems but running out of money/sprints/knowledge to finish it off.

My first boss used the phrase "just make it work, then make it work good". Requires that you have the time to get it to working good but if you don't then you're probably not getting it working in the first place.

Carpy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

This has me excited. Despite GGG being a great company, and a lot of the systems in PoE being interesting, I could never get past the janky combat and movement. It just felt like sludge compared to APRG's built even 15 years ago. Glad they are finally getting around to gutting it because it was the primary barrier to me playing this. For me, all the cool progression systems in the world can't make up for the moment to moment game play feeling bad.

I've found my way to enjoy the game as it were right now. But yeah super excited for melee changes as that's my preferred way of playing an Arpg. I just like the bone crunching.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Path of Exile is very easy until it suddenly very ain't.

• Options
    Ahh the wow vanilla raider argument :).

Ive seen videos of old school PoE and I dont see greater difficulty. I see some of the league mechanics causing insta deaths of people etc. But hey we have that now too.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    "This game is too easy!" I say, as I equip my Headhunter and deal 18 million DPS to Shaper with Divine Ire with my perfectly rolled items I bought because I play this game 18 hours a day

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, I have no idea what I'm going to play for Legion. I was going to do ED/Contagion, but all this melee talk. I may just be boring and play Vaal DS again.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    "This game is too easy!" I say, as I equip my Headhunter and deal 18 million DPS to Shaper with Divine Ire with my perfectly rolled items I bought because I play this game 18 hours a day

HH doesnt help vs bosses!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    This is why i support GGG

between this one and betrayal one, Jonathan is such an enthusiastic and excited dude about what hes working on and hes only getting better at presenting it

GGG has all my money forever

Same.

It bugs me when I see assholes on their forums/reddit talk about this expansion/league like it's nothing because they didn't announce everything on day 1.

Which they never do.

They fundamentally changed the game forever, likely for the better, and tore out 6 year old essential systems and replaced them due to complaints from fans.

Give them a few weeks to hype this shit up you entitled jackasses.

• Options
    Most game companies would have saved an update like this for "Path of Exile 2" instead of actually improving their current game engine.

• Options

Ive seen videos of old school PoE and I dont see greater difficulty. I see some of the league mechanics causing insta deaths of people etc. But hey we have that now too.

The greater difficulty of older poe comes most strongly across from all of the changes to skill damage/skill effects, and the addition of skills with more and more components to them. For instance, leveling right now compared to leveling a few years ago is miles easier just because I can pick a number of skills right now which trivialize leveling and at times even the Act bosses, whereas in the past I would have to actually be concerned about ensuring skills were supported properly.

Characters
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »

The greater difficulty of older poe comes most strongly across from all of the changes to skill damage/skill effects, and the addition of skills with more and more components to them. For instance, leveling right now compared to leveling a few years ago is miles easier just because I can pick a number of skills right now which trivialize leveling and at times even the Act bosses, whereas in the past I would have to actually be concerned about ensuring skills were supported properly.

Sure. I can agree with that. It is standard in teh wow vanilla argument as well. Trivializing the leveling here is not as big of a deal to me as it was in in other rpgs. This game is built around throwaway characters.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Aegis wrote: »

Sure. I can agree with that. It is standard in teh wow vanilla argument as well. Trivializing the leveling here is not as big of a deal to me as it was in in other rpgs. This game is built around throwaway characters.

Yea, as an HC character I appreciate the fact that I have less and less chance of dying during the leveling process as the game progresses between updates over the years.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »

HH doesnt help vs bosses!

It does if you use Vaal Portal.

• Options
    #TooMetaForMe

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    Is anything too meta for you, come on now.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    WOWEEEEEEE

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    tumblr_n837a68zM51sr0pqfo2_500.gif

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    fRAWRst is Canadian and has very sensitive feel feels

They're a much less inoculated peoples

Rius on
  • Options
    Im calling Justin

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    OK so the Headhunter thing isn't accurate but to me it feels like a lot of the people who claim the game is too easy fit that mold, where they know everything about the game, always have absurd amounts of currency, and only play this game.

• Options
    What a lot of people don't see after their six thousandth hour playing this game...

Is my girlfriend and her best friend, both avid Dota 2 players, watching me play this game over my shoulder and commenting just how damn complicated everything is.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I would say it's a different kind of complexity. Dota 2 is probably the most complex video game I've ever played, but it's complexity is not immediately evident until you get to higher tiers of play.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely. Path of Exile's complexity is apparent as soon as you level up the first time and you open up the yawning portal to Yogg'Sothoth that is the passive skill tree.

You either go mad in that instant with delight, or you Alt-F4 and uninstall the game forever.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Still wondering if we'll ever get a death recap screen, perhaps telling us what type of damage killed us, etc.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    This new league/patch is dropping June whatever. I have both a Synthesis League and an Event character. They get dumped into Standard when it hits?