As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

John Wick Chucks An Assault Rifle At A Dude in the [movies] Thread

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

I'm looking forward to the "Speed Racer" of period dramas.
    Would that racecar movie with Hemsworth count?[

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I'm going to say... No. But it was a pretty good movie.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I'm going to say... No. But it was a pretty good movie.

My mom actually was in Germany and saw those guys (Niki Lauda and James Hunt) race there in the 70s

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone else talk about it yet but I did also see Bumblebee today and it really was delightful

Like, so far from the tone of the Bay films. It's a legitimately very sweet and sincere film about a dirtbag girl whose best friend is an alien robot

Visually it isn't the most striking movie, but the Transformer designs are much cleaner and the editing is so much more focused and it's easier to follow, you know, what's happening in action scenes, so that's all sufficient, but really the strength of the movie is that it has a lot of heart

Side note: it also has (very minor funny moment spoiler)
    John Cena be the only man in the franchise to point out that "Decepticon" is a super shady thing to call yourself and maybe we should consider that a red flag

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I watched Buster Scruggs

Cartoon Coens is way more interesting to me than Boring Misanthrope Coens, so the only segments I think I actually enjoyed were the first two, the rest were just...there, like this last segment that is just about "5 people have the dullest conversation in human history"

it's also just barely over 2 hours and it felt 4 hours long, good lord this thing could've been cut down a lot

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I watched Anna and the Apocalypse today. Its a christmas zombie musical. It was fun.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    is the worst aspect of all of these modern Mission Impossible movies Alec Baldwin

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    is the worst aspect of all of these modern Mission Impossible movies Alec Baldwin

I liked him well enough in Fallout

• Options
    has anyone considered that the real hero of the HALO jump scene in Fallout is the person that ALSO had to jump out of a plane and, unlike that coward Tom Cruise, they had to do it with a goddamn IMAX camera strapped to their head

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    okay okay everyone was right, MI Fallout completely rules

I've been let down a little bit by Ghost Protocol and especially Rogue Nation because they felt oddly paced and weighted, the best parts were in the middle of the movies and they had villains that were impossible to remember or care about so I just checked out after the big highlight setpiece of each one, but Fallout stays engaging the entire (very, very long) way through and finally remembers to have a villain you're actually interested in watching as much as the protagonist; he's no Philip Seymour Hoffman, but mostly in that nobody else ever has or even will be Philip Seymour Hoffman

it's proooooobably my favorite? but the only real competition for me is 3, and I like 3 a lot, but this is probably a better movie

also nominate that little red hook that catches on everything for Best Supporting Actor, that guy really pulled through

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Just started Assassination Nation, I'm so excited for this

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I was drunk last night talking with buddies about old nostalgic movies we loved and I described this movie or show I saw as a kid where these dudes fight crime from a high tech speed boat in the jungle or some shit?

A quick Google revealed that it was called Thunder in Paradise?

And the whole set was ten bucks on Amazon.

And that's how I got Thunder in Paradise.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    "these dudes"

How could you forget Hulk Hogan?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    "these dudes"

boy i wish i could

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Should be about over. What did you think?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    "these dudes"

I have a complicated relationship with the Hulkster. On the one hand, Thunder in Paradise and Gremlins 2. On the other hand he was the cat's paw used to destroy Gawker by a literal blood drinking millionaire.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    He's also like super racist

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    unaplogetically super racist, to boot

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I mean, yes, the Hulkster is a garbage human being

But he's still the most memorable thing in Thunder in Paradise by a mile

Also most things he "acted" in

• Options
    i mean oh yeah he is a fascinatingly terrible actor.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited December 2018

So I'm really glad I got to see this before finishing my best of the year lists. That last half hour is incredibly cathartic

I loved so much about the rest of this too
    Bill Skarsgard managing to be at least as disgusting as that time he played Pennywise

Judd Apatow's daughter knocking the hell out of Bella Thorne with a bat in one of the best-filmed scenes of the year

Speaking of best-filmed scenes, I don't think that window scene was talked about/praised nearly enough

Actually having a trans person play a trans character <3<3<3 (here's a good interview from her btw if you want to hear/know more about Hari http://collider.com/hari-nef-assassination-nation-interview/)

I was even kinda surprised how much I enjoyed that post-fight marching band celebration credits scene, that seemed like one of those things that should have been corny but I loved it a lot

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    more movies' third act should be teen girls killing all men

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

I don’t think that most films that are currently made would really support this

But then all that really means is more movies that support such an ending need to get made.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I haven’t seen Aquaman yet, but James Wan breaking down this action scene is pretty darn neat.

https://youtu.be/O8RQuSwFdPI

• Options
    I love how perfect the last line in Assassination Nation was.

Just kind of summed it all up perfectly.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

I don’t think that most films that are currently made would really support this.

sure they would

you just gotta weave it into the narrative

like, what if eight grade ended with our main character accepting who she is...during a violent and blood massacre of all men? same movie, same message, gets more butts in seats!

or, hey, there's no reason why the predator couldn't have been replaced with a teen girl!

just gotta think outside the bun.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I feel like most audiences might read that as a tonal curve ball.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    yeah yeah and the guardians of the galaxy would be too weird for audiences, too

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Point, Kringle.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I thought about renting Assassination Nation while I was at the Family Video today (long story), but they only had it in DVD for some reason, so I decided to try to find it in bluray.

Turns out, according to Amazon, it's not on bluray. DVD only. Weird.

Edit: never mind, I'm dumb. Found it

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Also I followed that up with another film I just bought today that I'd been meaning to see for a while. A Simple Favor is such a wild ride

A friend recommended it to me as "Gone Girl for gays starring Anna Kendrick" and I knew instantly I'd love it with all my heart, but I didn't expect the sheer volume of turns and trashy fun on display over the next 2 hours
    "Are you trying to Diablolique me?" is somehow not the best random reference here

• Options
    I'm watching Crazy Rich Asians and mostly thinking about the unfortunate fact that a delightful comic actress is now locked into being referred to as "Awkwafina" for at least a few more years

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I mean, she chose the name.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    I am absolutely positive she would have been able to go by her "real name " if she wanted to

shes been performing as awkwafina for years

its her name!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Watched Christmas Evil aka You Better Watch Out on a lark. It was actually much better than I had anticipated. Solid little early 80's slasher with some pretty good performances.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Counterpoint

Awkwafina is an awesome name.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah Im not sure why her being known as Awkwafina is supposed to be bad.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I don't love her only being known by a pun on a brand name

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I guess I could understand if she didn't choose that name but she did... I think?

I mean, has she expressed lament at being called Awkwafina because then I'll agree 100%.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I don't love her only being known by a pun on a brand name

man i know you mean well

but "i dont like that this female asian rapper is primarily known by a name she chose" is maybe not sending out the right signal

This discussion has been closed.