As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    According to their site they also managed to break 200k

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Frame Fatales, the all-women speedrun event, is starting in under an hour. Schedule here: https://horaro.org/framefatales/schedule

• Options
    Leading with a 100% Sekiro is a great start.

There are some real showcases each day, in fact. A very well-curated list.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm curious with how Sekiro speedrunning looks right now, considering how new this game is.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sekiro can be done surprisingly fast even for a casual player, once you've played it once. My first playthrough was something like 30-40 hours. My next playthrough was less than ten. Subsequent playthroughs were maybe 5 hours tops, and I wasn't even trying to go fast.

It's a nice departure from the Soulsborne games in that it's immensely less grindy, and you can fly through the game even from a new save if you've beat it before.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Did they scale back on this event? A week or so ago I looked at the timetable and have it marked on my calendar for a few days, but now the schedule only spans a couple.

• Options
    It runs till Thursday, but it's noon til 3AM (as noted by the Sleep 100%s on the schedule)

• Options
    There are any% runs as low as 22 minutes; but that involves a huge no-clip glitch that's quite frankly not very fun to watch. I prefer the allbeads/memories runs like this runner is doing, since the swordplay just looks so cool.

• Options
    Okay so I've never played Sekiro but can I assume that the bar at the top of the screen builds up as you fight (particularly when you parry/block), and it makes your counter attack a one-hit kill when full?

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay so I've never played Sekiro but can I assume that the bar at the top of the screen builds up as you fight (particularly when you parry/block), and it makes your counter attack a one-hit kill when full?

Yeah. The top bar is the enemies 'posture' meter and when it's full, the red dot appears that lets you do a death blow, that empties the enemies current health bar. All regular enemies have 1 health bar, and bosses can have anywhere from 1-3. You can fill the meter by attacking the enemy, by deflecting their attacks, or by performing certain counters. You can also defeat enemies just by emptying their health bar, which auto-fills their posture meter.

Most of the time the enemies posture recovers quickly while they're at full health though, so unless you're very aggressive, you have to whittle their health down a bit before you can fill their posture meter.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Man, I remember popping in Erika's Twitch right after Sekiro released, and she kept dying to the first "siddle against the rock" tutorial, because she skipped the prompt and was trying to jump over the gap.

A couple months later, here she is, speed running the game as the first run on a cool event.

Speed runners are amazing people.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Man, I remember popping in Erika's Twitch right after Sekiro released, and she kept dying to the first "siddle against the rock" tutorial, because she skipped the prompt and was trying to jump over the gap.

A couple months later, here she is, speed running the game as the first run on a cool event.

Speed runners are amazing people.

And now jumping over that gap is speed tech!

• Options
    That was a good Sekiro run, but I kind of had to agree with the chat at times where they weren't really talking about the game as much as I'd like?

I think that's where having a good couch is really going to shine, and I understand that the GDQ hotfixes or really anything where it's just a collection of streamers will really have that, but knowing how a trick is executed, or what's frame perfect, or what's RNG, really adds something to watching an execution of a really good trick. And since the runner is usually very occupied with actually running the game, having quality commentary goes a long way.

• Options
    Also the twitch chat mods are out for blood, suffering zero toxic bullshit, and I'm here for it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    That was a good Sekiro run, but I kind of had to agree with the chat at times where they weren't really talking about the game as much as I'd like?

I think that's where having a good couch is really going to shine, and I understand that the GDQ hotfixes or really anything where it's just a collection of streamers will really have that, but knowing how a trick is executed, or what's frame perfect, or what's RNG, really adds something to watching an execution of a really good trick. And since the runner is usually very occupied with actually running the game, having quality commentary goes a long way.

I wasn't able to catch all of it, only the first 25 min or so...

But I am really looking forward to this showing up at AGDQ 2020.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »

I wasn't able to catch all of it, only the first 25 min or so...

But I am really looking forward to this showing up at AGDQ 2020.

It's definitely a good run, and I really liked their choice of which category to run. I'd never seen an NG+ All Memories/Beads before, but I like the way they did it, with including the NG+ because you can't fight every boss in a single playthrough. It shows off a lot of straight execution, and just a little bit of jank, with stuff like the guardian ape skip

Javen on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I've hopped in to watch bits of a couple runs occasionally today. From just the little I've watched, I'm also a bit disappointed in the "couch" commentators? Not really getting much anything from them ever, so it often feels like just watching a regular streamer speedrunning instead of an event.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    It’s part of what makes the GDQ format very good, because there’s no dead air. You’ve got the commentators, but even the best can’t go the whole run. So you fit in donations during the boring parts, and you have multiple commentators, and audience participation and incentive information etc. this is basically just a collection of good streams, so the feel is going to be different. The Zelda run was actually really well done, from execution to commentary.

The run I was actually most looking forward to going in was the Chrono Trigger 100%, but I’m not so sure anymore, because it’s a whopping 7 and a half hour run.

• Options
    They don't have donation comments to read through. Sometimes there's nothing to say about the game at any given moment.

I missed the start of the Valkyria Chronicles run but I loved it. Alicia was stronger than a tank.

• Options
    One thing I'm absolutely convinced needs to happen, between watching RPG Limit Break last week, and now Frame Fatales yesterday.

The The Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act must apply to ads played during internet videos/streaming. Right now it's only enforced for TV ads and it is very noticeable

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I've hopped in to watch bits of a couple runs occasionally today. From just the little I've watched, I'm also a bit disappointed in the "couch" commentators? Not really getting much anything from them ever, so it often feels like just watching a regular streamer speedrunning instead of an event.

Good commentary takes practice and preparation.

I know the few times I've done commentary for runs, I've actually watched the run prior, and then made notes as to what I'm going to say during each part, etc.

A lot of people don't put in that time, and it shows.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Despite it being noticeable, it's also pretty understandable though. A lot of these people running aren't established GDQ runners/commentators, but absolutely could be, which is why stuff like the Frame Fatales, or the RPG Valkyries are good things to exist, so hopefully they will be

• Options
    Despite it being noticeable, it's also pretty understandable though. A lot of these people running aren't established GDQ runners/commentators, but absolutely could be, which is why stuff like the Frame Fatales, or the RPG Valkyries are good things to exist, so hopefully they will be

Well, yes and no. It's an "amateur" event (I mean GDQ is an amateur and not professional event to for the runners [well some at least. Obviously many are pro streamers[), but I would still prefer people to put in some modicum of preparation for the commentary role. For runs that aren't just visually impressive to someone not familiar with the run on a regular basis (which is just how many longer runs are), it's really important to have entertaining commentary, whether it's informative or funny or interesting, or what not.

I can understand that people haven't put in that type of time, but I can also say, that if you're going to be putting together a marathon that's going to be using the GDQ channel and therefore be pretty high profile, you should treat it more seriously.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm actually of the exact opposite mindset; with the GDQ organization lending its prominence in the speed running community to effectively signal boost what would have otherwise been a much less visible event is only a good thing.

But I guess part of it is that, like, there are no classes for this stuff. It's hard to prepare when this is your first time doing a stream of that nature, and you have no basis for how to do it well. A lot of the early GDQs were very rough in a similar way. Over time, people learned by doing, because that's all you really can do? It also involved un-learning a lot, because many of the streamers do stream regularly, but it's a lot different to have a channel where you're largely interacting directly with your chat, as opposed to GDQ, which you have to go into under the assumption that you're playing for a much larger crowd.

Javen on
  • Options
    I'm actually of the exact opposite mindset; with the GDQ organization lending its prominence in the speed running community to effectively signal boost what would have otherwise been a much less visible event is only a good thing.

But I guess part of it is that, like, there are no classes for this stuff. It's hard to prepare when this is your first time doing a stream of that nature, and you have no basis for how to do it well. A lot of the early GDQs were very rough in a similar way. Over time, people learned by doing, because that's all you really can do? It also involved un-learning a lot, because many of the streamers do stream regularly, but it's a lot different to have a channel where you're largely interacting directly with your chat, as opposed to GDQ, which you have to go into under the assumption that you're playing for a much larger crowd.

Oh, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying since GDQ is signal boosting, people need to prepare for their roles and it doesn't feel like the commentators are a lot of the time. I also agree that there are no classes on this, and it would be useful to have an organization like GDQ to prepare something for the "couch" to use as guidelines for prep.

• Options
    A lot of that was happening during the Wai Wai run yesterday actually. I think the commentator was a GDQ veteran, and didn't know a lot about the game itself, but did a really good job at injecting energy into the run, and asking good questions to the runner, who could answer them.

• Options
    For me personally, I'm just a bit disappointed. I thought this was a cool idea for an event that I was looking forward to watching, but it's not really something I'm all that interested in right now (where's it's basically just a bunch of individual streamers speedrunning and talking about their games and whatnot).

I don't know if it's a lack of commentator preparation or what, but they just never say anything.

Steam profile
  • Options
    For me personally, I'm just a bit disappointed. I thought this was a cool idea for an event that I was looking forward to watching, but it's not really something I'm all that interested in right now (where's it's basically just a bunch of individual streamers speedrunning and talking about their games and whatnot).

I don't know if it's a lack of commentator preparation or what, but they just never say anything.
    This is the kind of stuff that gives the status quo ammunition. It's event #1 and I promise you GDQ #1 was full of the same.

GDQ and RPG LB currently have a staff on hand to drop announcements and read donations, they have couch and a LIVE AUDIENCE. Frame Fatales doesn't have those things. It doesn't have the full resources and staff on hand that GDQ does.

It's starting out from a handicapped position and if people kick it down there will be incentive to continue the problems GDQ has with inclusion and representation.

• Options
    Y'know what's a fair thing to compare Frame Fatales to? The Hurricane Harvey Relief thing GDQ ran. It will sound similar.

• Options

This is the kind of stuff that gives the status quo ammunition. It's event #1 and I promise you GDQ #1 was full of the same.

GDQ and RPG LB currently have a staff on hand to drop announcements and read donations, they have couch and a LIVE AUDIENCE. Frame Fatales doesn't have those things. It doesn't have the full resources and staff on hand that GDQ does.

It's starting out from a handicapped position and if people kick it down there will be incentive to continue the problems GDQ has with inclusion and representation.

I feel like I was trying to be very positive here. I'm just flat out not enjoying the stream. I hope it gets better, I just don't want to watch that now, it's boring

Steam profile
  • Options
    I got to the Zelda 2 run at like 35 minutes in, what the fuck is happening with the screen transitions? XD

• Options
    I got to the Zelda 2 run at like 35 minutes in, what the fuck is happening with the screen transitions? XD

Glitches. Can't remember exactly what it is, but the displayed room and the room the game is using for collision aren't the same anymore, and such.

• Options

Glitches. Can't remember exactly what it is, but the displayed room and the room the game is using for collision aren't the same anymore, and such.
    Yeah that much is clear, I just miss how it happened / how it was setup. It's pretty amazing. The overworld is consistent at least.

It's reverse boss order so I probably missed some of the best stuff already.

• Options
    I thought about getting really high before that run since I had an awful day at work, and I'm glad I didn't. That was fucked

• Options
    So, for anyone who was curious, the mystery game tonight for Frame Fatales is Shantae 3.

• Options
    So, for anyone who was curious, the mystery game tonight for Frame Fatales is Shantae 3.
    SHIIIIIIIIIIT I just got home and missed the first half. D:

• Options
    Bonus run of Shantae 2!

• Options
    Bonus run of Shantae 2!
    Bonus to the bonus: It's not a marathon safe run, reliant on some frame-perfect tricks. So it may not be completed!

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I really liked the Karmaflow run. Runner did good and had decent commentary, and holy shit the music in that game.