As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

1757677787981»

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Brood Wars was fun too.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Super Mario 64 16-star on a drumkit

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Everyone's suggestions so far are very good, a few others that come to mind
    -Gyromite Dog% of course
    -Super Mario Wonder was really good just watching them tear through those levels
    -The Pokemon Crystal co-op was good if you like Pokemon
    -Sneak King was fun but it might have been because it was the middle of the night and I was half asleep

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I think they added some of the backup runs to the schedule at points to push it back because everything was running so smoothly. And then the final run goes catastrophe on them and adds half an hour.
    The Checkpoint is a new segment designed as a shock absorber for the marathon. Prior to this they had setup segments, but those were designed for setting up consoles and runs, whereas the Checkpoint is just empty time that can be eaten into. If sufficient time is available, then it can be used for bonus runs or video segments. It's pretty cool and definitely keeps the marathon on track.

I admit I do have nostalgia for staying up until 5am watching whatever six-hour SNES rpg run they had lined up for the finale while puttering on my phone or DS, but I think those days should be behind us.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I think they added some of the backup runs to the schedule at points to push it back because everything was running so smoothly. And then the final run goes catastrophe on them and adds half an hour.
    The Checkpoint is a new segment designed as a shock absorber for the marathon. Prior to this they had setup segments, but those were designed for setting up consoles and runs, whereas the Checkpoint is just empty time that can be eaten into. If sufficient time is available, then it can be used for bonus runs or video segments. It's pretty cool and definitely keeps the marathon on track.

I admit I do have nostalgia for staying up until 5am watching whatever six-hour SNES rpg run they had lined up for the finale while puttering on my phone or DS, but I think those days should be behind us.

Ah, they makes a lot of sense. I had just assumed it was a rename of their daily recap segments, but if they're deliberately planning on it absorbing schedule slip that's smart.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The FF5 finale run was very fun to me, as I am a sicko who loves the drama of a scuffed run that they then save rather than mercy killing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The FF5 run was great and is exactly what you watch a live marathon for.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

What happened?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

What happened?

Runner made an error earlier in the run, didn't catch it until later. Had to work with couch to figure out a strategy to cheese a fight on the fly.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i'm just going back and catching a lot of things I missed before and the metroid dread race is fantastic.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Maybe I missed it since I haven't watched the VOD yet, but it seems like they could have done a better job communicating what went wrong in the FFV run and how exactly they cheesed the Antlion to progress.

• Options
    edited January 27
    I'm not sure what they messed up, but the solution seemed to be trying to find a strategy for the fight that would give them a chance to dodge/delay the antlion enough that with good enough RNG they can theoretically do enough damage to kill it before it heals itself, which they eventually managed.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 27
    I'm not sure what they messed up, but the solution seemed to be trying to find a strategy for the fight that would give them a chance to dodge/delay the antlion enough that with good enough RNG they can theoretically do enough damage to kill it before it heals itself, which they eventually managed.

Specifically, Bartz was dead at the end of a fight much earlier in the run, and so he didn't get the JP needed to master an ability to use off-class in that fight much later. And at that point in the game there's no random encounters.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    SGDQ registration started this week, apparently.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited April 26
    I'll be there again! 9 hour flight from the UK but I got window seats this time and I'll be there for the 4th of July and 7th for my birthday

Beasteh on
  • Options
    some old reliables in there I'm looking forward to, the return of the super metroid race, mario maker and kaizo hack races

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 27
    Spoilered for forum image size bug:
    9plskdbczyti.png

Good for him! I know it's been a goal of his for a few years now.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Holy shit this schedule. Is so good.

Lufia 2 with no major glitches? Pizza Tower Noise speedrun by Jade??? UNDERTALE YELLOW???

this is going to be soooo good. Oh and I almost forgot grand poo world 3 which is an amazing mod.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    9plskdbczyti.png

Is that the guy who made those really hard Mario Maker levels that broke Arin?

• Options
    Wait what? I missed that DAN is doing a speedrun? Wooooooooow.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    9plskdbczyti.png

Is that the guy who made those really hard Mario Maker levels that broke Arin?

I just know him as the dude who made Doki Doki Literature Club which breaks people in... a different way...

• Options
    He made P is for Pain yeah. Also did a level in smm2 though it's not as memorable. It still was very specifically hard with it's own one weird trick.

He just tends to pop up places you would never expect. I didnt know he speedran too.

• Options
    He made P is for Pain yeah. Also did a level in smm2 though it's not as memorable. It still was very specifically hard with it's own one weird trick.

He just tends to pop up places you would never expect. I didnt know he speedran too.

Speaking of unexpected speedruns, apparently Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb fame has been getting into speedrunning Quackshot on the Sega Genesis, which was one of my favorite childhood games I've beaten more times than I can count.