As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fix your interior!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Velvet doesn't bother me, now a scratchy wool blanket? That is a nightmare.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    At the risk of ostracism, I like scraping my fingers against the grain on velvet because it feels good under my nails.

How do you feel about rusty nails? Because I may have a cartoon series for you...

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Velvet doesn't bother me, now a scratchy wool blanket? That is a nightmare.

I can’t do anything knitted or crocheted, it’s a shame, because they’re skills I admire very much, but I am really averse to the texture.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    you could work it up and then felt it
    :whistle:

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    also i bought 3 faux fur pillows this week

the one from Home Goods matches this (which is lovely & just a touch gruff like a clean, shaggy doggo, but also i'm picky and i want a faux fur blanket, i want fur on both faces, damnit. ..or i guess a reasonable facsimile of a pelt, but not this patently artificial-feeling 'mink' microfiber fleece, or even worse, fake shearling. talk about texture nightmare. so i keep petting the furry side in the store and resisting buying two to sew together. the pillow is a happy stopgap.)
    81jWR0w3CgL._SL500_.jpg

the other two i stumbled across at Target tonight and i guess aren't on the site yet. it seems i have a talent for finding shit before the marketing team is ready and look nothing like the product photo. they're light grey and white with an agouti effect that instantly made me think "Bunny!"

this one had a really beautiful effect and was on clearance, but i am not about that 'spot clean' life for much, and especially not faux fur. plus, the ones i got have a zipper, so easy washing is a go.

oh! and there were several colors of velvet over a couple different styles -- some body pillows/bolsters with tassels and satin? on the opposite face stood out, a particularly vivid green throw pillow...

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I love fur blankets and that looks an especially luxe one!

I’ve been wanting bat-themed bed linen from Sin in Linen for a while and they recently released dark purple + bats in cotton which is even better.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So we've been looking at getting one of those really lovely thick fur rugs, but which animal that they make those from is the most humanely treated? The Tibetan sheep feels great but is it...okay? I would prefer to be a conscientious consumer when I can.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I would say any animal (such as sheep) that can be slaughtered for meat as well would typically be killed in an acceptable way.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So this got a bit nitty gritty, so spoilers for folks who don't want to read about the industrialization of animal products.
    If you're going for humane fur, sheepskin is probably as close as you're going to get. It's a byproduct of the meat industry, and less than 1% of slaughtered sheep end up becoming rugs. Most sheepskins are disposed of as hazardous animal waste, and end up burned or buried in specialized landfills.

I mean, the sheep that got turned into a rug probably would have preferred not to have been slaughtered in the first place, but sheepskin is such a tertiary product that it's hard to argue that purchasing a sheepskin rug is really contributing to the death of sheep in any meaningful way.

That being said, most rugs and pillow cases are made from lambskin, which were slaughtered before their first shearing and probably spent some time in a feedlot. So animal cruelty-wise, somewhere between crated veal and the full-grown cow that went into your last hamburger. Although again, that lamb would definitely have been slaughtered for its meat regardless of the minimal demand for its hide.

Killing animals for stuff: complicated, I guess. This is as a former beef and pig farmer and current meat eater, mind you.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    That aligns pretty evenly with the info I had found. Thanks jed!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Holy fuck, I just donated like 20 shirts!

Like... After years of saying I'd do it, I finally started purging everything that wasn't comfortable to wear. By the end I was just looking at the tags and the fact I hadn't worn them in a decade or two and just started pitching. It was heavy!

I still have a lot to go, but my closet now looks a lot less cluttered. It is a start!

(Apologies if the pic is huge, I am not at home to scale it.)

6efw6gh617iu.jpg

Edit: You know I'm rearing to go when I pitched a whole bunch of board game boxes that I don't need anymore (expansions, better organizers, etc). I've had a whole part of a closet dedicated to storing empty air, and that's all gone now. :)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man @NightDragon that is pretty much spot-on the aesthetic I've been dreaming of for ages, but I've been afraid of frightening newcomers/terrifying my landlord. It would be a lot for my living room but someday I will have a proper study and then IT IS ALL MORBID ANATOMY/VICTORIAN NOIR AESTHETIC ALL THE TIME.

In more immediate future plans I need to replace my couch and get better dining room chairs. I don't really think IKEA couches are very comfortable but I was told to re-evaluate their new stuff.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Spoilered for big, but I got the posters I ordered today!
    ijoz03h0mbwl.jpg

EDIT: The frames I ordered only fit one of those posters, because I am an idiot, but oh well, time to buy fraaaames.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Hello Interior thread!

You're all pretty smart, so maybe you can help.

I was in the bathroom and I noticed a crack, could you recommend some sealants or plasters?

• Options
    If it was a crack in a tile itself, it depends on the width and depth of the crack, but if it's bad it may need an entirely new tile (it likely may, regardless).
    If it's a crack in the caulk lining your bathtub, just recaulk it!
    If it's a crack in your butt, it's broken, you'll need a new one.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    i cannot believe you scooped my perfectly crafted 2am buttcrack joke

• Options
    Where did you find a new butt at 2am?!

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    i cannot believe you scooped my perfectly crafted 2am buttcrack joke

Perfectly crafted just at 2am? Does this booty follow some modified Cinderella rules? At 3 is it ever so slightly lumpy?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    carpets

lets talk about them, shall we

and why the hell do they cost so goddamn much

this charming item is $1,100
    m8TZA4p.jpg

while this one is available at a mere pittance for $710
    WomFZHx.jpg

But of course it's all dwarfed by this $2,500 beast of a rug
    G4B2Gwi.jpg?1

why this

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My cat won't piss on anything worth less than $500

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    A real Persian carpet is extremely labour intensive and can take months to produce. The technique is actually a UNESCO world heritage.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    oh trust me I'm well aware

I just went to that store to, I don't know. hurt myself looking at all the pretty things I'm not rich enough to own?

but I am going to see a second hand persian tomorrow for a much, much more agreeable price. A casual look tells me it's a Kashan, i.e. Very High Quality, but it was also bought 29 years ago so who knows its current condition

I'll report tomorrow with more highly invigorating carpet related news

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    so in attempting to hang a thing with heavy duty Command strips (ie, the 'hook and loop' versions), I have ripped up some of the drywall. joy

it probably would've been fine if i'd used the normal strips, because as part of hanging these properly, you remove the thing to let the wall part adhere without extra weight dragging it down

i'm having a mad, but in retrospect, it makes sense that the drywall at the edge of a partition, over a metal stud, might not be particularly strong

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    here's our big boy!

MOMl9Fj.jpg?1

it's 3.4 meters by 2.5 meters (~11 feet by ~8 feet, meaning 95.5 square feet), so it's large! and the pattern is gorgeous imo

but it's old - 30 years old to be accurate. that's how I got it at a steal for $100

I'll take it to get professionally cleaned tomorrow and hopefully it'll wash some years off it, but overall I am extremely satisfied

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    really ties the room together

• Options
    That rug is a steal for a hundo, honestly!

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    That rug is a steal for a hundo, honestly!

I paid close to that for a smaller rug online that's probably 1/4 as good :(

So yeah, hell of a deal!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    i am piqued that this is fiberboard
    lommarp-cabinet-with-glass-doors-in-dark-blue-green-with-cra-1e936bc283f053dad8be5dfec8eb006b.jpg
    i'm annoyed 'cause it's a really pretty color, and the overall apperance is nice.
    buying that kinda piece, that's grown-ass furniture, you expect durability!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    a interesting thing was there was a guy whom sold carpets like the above along the roadside like any other enterprising seller. But this storage was in a Walmart parking lot the one I worked at so for years I watching him as I left work load up his van with the rugs and drive to a certain end of street to sell his goods. When the city remade that road to link up with another he moved a little further up the road. This was the thing until last year and I was curious what happened to him in a way.

I see a lot of people pitching their couches at the park near my home which got me to think how hard would it be to deskin one of them just for the frame and to haul home {I still await when someone tosses other things like a table it's happened before and I do need a table for something since the floor and my lap is not working out}

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Slowly but surely re-organizing the kitchen. Trying to get things off the countertops so we have more usuable prep space, and I need a place to use my big cutting board besides the stove top.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I want a doormat that's Episode III Obi Wan Kenobi saying "Hello, there" because everybody who walks past my door should know exactly what I'm about and harbor an immediate and intense dislike of me.

I am disgusted this item does not seem to exist already.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Bought a new house and could use opinions on two rooms re: decorating:

This will likely be the general chill out/television room:
    IMG_0154-1200x799.jpg
    The slanted walls due to it being a loft is going to make decorating a bit of a pain and we have tons of paintings.

Second is the combined living/dining room. My partner is super bullish on getting a harvest style dining table but I'm a bit worried it might be too big. We considered maybe flipping the angle of the table but I'm not sure.
    IMG_0190-1200x799.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You have a lot of open space in the dining area so you could definitely rotate the setup 90 degrees to accommodate a longer table without it feeling crowded.

What kind of decorating advice are you looking for? Colours/picture hangings/furniture layout ...?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Mostly furniture I think but also curious about decorating generally for the loft room. And we need rugs. So many rugs.

edit: I should add that those are all photos from the listing so none of that stuff is ours.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    At long last my floor to ceiling library is finished!

The flip out shelves are completed. They are exclusively for my Dragonlance books.

nbijusn68ff6.jpg

j2qqyc1bzgpa.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options

IMG_0154-1200x799.jpg
    The slanted walls due to it being a loft is going to make decorating a bit of a pain and we have tons of paintings.

Second is the combined living/dining room. My partner is super bullish on getting a harvest style dining table but I'm a bit worried it might be too big. We considered maybe flipping the angle of the table but I'm not sure.
    IMG_0190-1200x799.jpg

I look at that dining area and that big open space and my brain immediately goes to, "Get yourself a dope-ass globe" and I'll be damned if I can figure out why.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I look at that dining area and that big open space and my brain immediately goes to, "Get yourself a dope-ass globe" and I'll be damned if I can figure out why.

Because globes are cool as hell! We don't have the floorspace for one, but I am planning on getting a giant map of the world (probably a Robinson projection in like 4 foot high by 8 foot wide) one day, framing it, and hanging it on a wall.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

IMG_0154-1200x799.jpg

IMG_0190-1200x799.jpg

A Globe bottle bar, you mean? Because those are classy as all get out

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Friend of mine wanted to get rid of his sweet coffee table that I've always loved and he just gave it to me. It's awesome! It has wheels! It weighs 6 tons!

cpngfrsb23zu.jpg

ggttl8v5d3vh.jpg

Ignore those unpacked boxes I'm probably never going to unpack. Old table is in the background there so kind of the same energy going on with the rustic metal and wood except one is actually made out of rustic wood and fucking cast iron.