Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX South 2019 Fancy Dinner - 5th Annual! Hurry and Sign Up!

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited January 9 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hello you fancy forum friends & family!!

It's time for the 5th Annual Grownup Cosplay aka PAX South Fancy Dinner!

The Fancy Dinner Tradition

PAX East D&D has, for as long as I've been a forum member, brought folks together one night during PAX to class up the joint: a semi-formal prix fixe dinner with drinks where you can get your evening wear out or put on a coat and tie (full windsor you heathen) and talk about Important Things like Adults Do. A gathering where we can put faces to names and be people sharing food and conversation, rather than forum handles sharing memes. It's been a fantastic time every chance I've gotten to go, so when South opened up in 2015 we had the inaugural dinner at Guadalajara right next to the convention center. Since we've started, members of the PA staff have even dropped by to say hello!

This will the be 5th year running! Holy crap 5 is a lot of times in a row.

When does it happen?
This year's dinner will happen on Friday, Jan 18th at 7:30PM. Dinner served at 8:00. Bar closes at 9PM

Who can attend?
Any forum participant, regardless of how rarely you post, and your +1
In the past, we've also included a +2 depending on circumstances - please ask me if you have a larger group!

I'm in! How do I sign up?

Post below if you want to attend, and if you're bringing a +1.

The Venue
Located in the old San Antonio Library space, the spot for this year is a return to Biga on the Banks. Consistently rated in the top 3 locations for dinner on the Riverwalk, they serve New American with a Texas flare. Last year was a little squeezed as attendance was light, but if we have enough we'll be back in the open space with an outdoor patio overlooking the riverwalk. Have a look a the room we'll be using:
10f5pjp33pbf.jpg

This is the Alamo room (fk yeah), a private dining room on the 2nd floor with a semi-private balcony overlooking the Riverwalk! Biga maintains a separate kitchen for parties like this so we won't be waiting on the main restaurant for our food, and we'll have our own wait staff so we should be able to relax and enjoy ourselves without needing to chase down anything or wonder when the next course is coming out.

Where is this place??
Biga is (according to the maps I've looked at) a couple of blocks farther than our old spot. It's right off Market, close to the convention, walkable if your legs function, a short Uber ride if not, or you could even river taxi to it because our room will open up onto a 2nd floor terrace with access to the river. From the front doors of the convention center, Google says it's a 10min walk down Market st. Here's a map:
original-map.gif

What is the menu this year?

Menu is still TBD - if you liked something last year, please let me know!

The meal includes starters, a main course, salad, dessert, and coffee / soft drinks

What does this hootenanny cost?!
Let's break it down for you:
$80/person + tax is what it's looking like this year - I'm working on getting it reduced. It's gone up twice, and if it continues we may have to take steps... I feel like this is about as high as it can go and still enjoy the night.
+$5 if you want the beef
+$16 if you want to drink at the bar (no limit)

How do I pay?

Please PM me if you'd like to pay beforehand - Venmo is the best solution for that, but cash on the barrelhead is probably best. Let me know via PM how you want to do this! I do not do PayPal.

I have other questions!!!
Ask them below, or PM me.

We hope to see you all there!

The 2015 Thread
The 2016 Thread
The 2017 Thread
The 2018 Thread

Signups below!
spool32 + belasco
squeakel
aioua +1
21stcentury
jdarksun
milski
Erin the Red +1
Chanus
Heffling +1
DevoutlyApathetic
Delmain
Blameless Cleric

spool32 on

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Oh you know I'm in and also my GF

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    21stCenturyspool32
    Also I assume you mean the 18th?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    spool32
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yes lol fixed that...

• 21stCentury21stCentury Bismuth OS Fully Operational 2019-07-12 - KeystoneRegistered User regular
    Yes hello I would like to sign up. I love this tradition dearly.

I’m excited to see you folks again.

spool32
  • milskimilski Their Will comes, at last, to Earth, to the Neath, as a storm crosses the sea. Registered User regular
    I'm in!

High, cold, eternal, immobile, minuscule. You endure; you burn.
    21stCenturyspool32
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    My wife and I are coming! Fancy lasses in fancy dresses!

Can't wait to see everyone

Help a trans woman (me) afford GRS!
    Hi Santa/Satan!
    Video games -> PSN and Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus
    21stCenturyspool32Blameless Cleric
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Bismuth OS Fully Operational 2019-07-12 - KeystoneRegistered User regular

Off topic but are you gonna bowsette it up at the con? I love that outfit

‘3’

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 4

‘3’

Yup!
    Currently working on jackets I can snap the shell onto. I've a short denim one with some nerdy patches, and a leather one I'm putting spikes on this weekend

Erin The Red on
    Hi Santa/Satan!

‘3’

Currently working on jackets I can snap the she'll onto. Short denim one with some nerdy patches, and a leather one I'm putting spikes on this weekend

Yesssss!

Erin The Red
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    I don't know if we'll be in town on Friday yet, and I don't know when I'll know if we will be or not.

We would dearly like to make it again this year, but I can't RSVP in good faith yet.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    spool32
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    participate 1 chanus

**Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    Blameless ClericAioua
    it occurs to me i’m not fat anymore so my suit probably doesn’t fit but i promise to still look fly

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Count me and the wife in!

If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    spool32
    Yessss

and assuming @Delmain is also joining us this year, we're now over our 2018 attendance already!

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well I'll help keep things moving then.

One DA shall attend.

spool32Erin The RedBlameless Clericjdarksun
    Are they gonna walk around with delicious hors d'oeuvres again?

Hi Santa/Satan!
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    How dare you make assumptions about me.

syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
    spool32
    We need four or five more attendees to get the same room we used in 2017.....

i have a variety of novelty mustaches

LaOsspool32Heffling21stCenturyAegis
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Does this require people to dress up?

You don't have to come dressed in 4k, but people do aim for HD...

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I'm in, but I'm not wearing a jacket. Vest time bay-bee

syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
    spool32LaOs
    How much does it cost to rent the room?

No charge for the room itself but we need a minimum of ~18 ppl to justify it! Also need that many to have the separate bartender make us drinks.

come on @Krathoon throw your top hat in the ring! :) :)

21stCentury
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I will be dining fancily!

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    spool3221stCenturyHefflingDelmainAiouaChanusjdarksunErin The RedDevoutlyApathetic
    How are we looking, attendee wise?

Hi Santa/Satan!
    17, as spool19 is coming as a +1 :)

I may have venue and menu news as early as tomorrow - I might actually be able to get the money down to $75...

If anyone else is thinking of coming, please sign up now!

jdarksunBlameless Cleric
    Oh nice! You smooth talker, you

Hi Santa/Satan!
  • CurvyKittyKatCurvyKittyKat Registered User regular
    Are 'sign ups' still open, and is there a link or such, or just post on here?

Just post here and be there at the appointed time as far as I know.

If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    edited January 14
    I am going to have to pass. Thanks for answering my question about it.

Krathoon on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    It looks like I won't be in town until Saturday morning, so we won't be able to make it this year. Bummer for our first missed one to be the fifth year!

SrUxdlb.jpg
    Boo x2.

@CurvyKittyKat signups are still open, just post here :)

Any update on the menu?

Yep! Long post this evening....

Erin The Red
    Suit is packed!