As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Just watched cams or whatever that movie is called. It was OK up until the end. Wtf was that ending?

I guess I'm just in the mood to be confused tonight
    It was a computer program designed to copy people and do whatever it could to make tips, including breaking any "rules" the women had about things they wouldn't do. This is why the copy was fine at first when it lifted its face from the table, followed by a visual glitch before blood started pouring out. And since it was a program designed to maximize revenue, it had to give away its password when tips were on the line.

Basically this tech x1000
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=cQ54GDm1eL0
    The whole movie is about a loss of self with regards to a person's real life and online persona. Lola starts the movie with a set of rules for her relationships with her fans and then breaks them to try and gain rank. After that, her personality splits between the real world Lola and the more sexually aggressive online personality.

Tinker explains that he had seen so many camgirls go through something similar before they "died".' It's not actually death, but how over camgirls go through the same thing as Lola.

That's what I took away from it, at least.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Just watched cams or whatever that movie is called. It was OK up until the end. Wtf was that ending?

It was a computer program designed to copy people and do whatever it could to make tips, including breaking any "rules" the women had about things they wouldn't do. This is why the copy was fine at first when it lifted its face from the table, followed by a visual glitch before blood started pouring out. And since it was a program designed to maximize revenue, it had to give away its password when tips were on the line.

The whole movie is about a loss of self with regards to a person's real life and online persona. Lola starts the movie with a set of rules for her relationships with her fans and then breaks them to try and gain rank. After that, her personality splits between the real world Lola and the more sexually aggressive online personality.

Tinker explains that he had seen so many camgirls go through something similar before they "died".' It's not actually death, but how over camgirls go through the same thing as Lola.

Cam
    Except Baby did actually die, she drove into oncoming traffic, and yet "Baby" was still doing collaboration videos with the other girls who were copied.

It was the bathroom scene where I realized what was happening, any human would realize "Shit, it's her". But the program wasn't aware enough to realize it was the person it was copying.

Which isnt to say the movie isn't a commentary on how social media pushes people to cross their own boundaries in pursuit of tips or likes, but plot wise I'm pretty sure it was a computer program and not a split/"all in her head."

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Cam
    Except Baby did actually die, she drove into oncoming traffic, and yet "Baby" was still doing collaboration videos with the other girls who were copied.

It was the bathroom scene where I realized what was happening, any human would realize "Shit, it's her". But the program wasn't aware enough to realize it was the person it was copying.

Which isnt to say the movie isn't a commentary on how social media pushes people to cross their own boundaries in pursuit of tips or likes, but plot wise I'm pretty sure it was a computer program and not a split/"all in her head."

Oh I absolutely agree with all your points, I just felt the individual plot beats were more meant more symbolically as well.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Cam makes more "sense" when you realize the huge gaps in time over the course of the movie and that it's not shot in sequential order. I really don't think it's about what @Peccavi had in his spoiler. It's meant to be more existential.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I really dug Velvet Buzzsaw. I suspect many will not. If I can put on my pretentious jerkwad glasses for a moment, I thought it was a slick commentary on the commercial art world and, by extension, film development and distribution. Making a schlocky horror movie and trussing it with high(er) end actors and production and marrying it to this idea was a really fun way to explore that perilous late night coffee and cigarette college student argument about art and who decides what art is.

I also just really like haunted painting stories, so, yeah.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I tried the first episode Nightstalkers last night. It set up a few interesting mysteries but the dialogue and acting is, somehow, even worse than the Expanse. I assume that has to have been the target so well done to everybody involved

...there is one iffy actor on The Expanse (Holden's). Everyone else is great. Bobbie started flat but mostly that was her script.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Wow, I feel dumb. I feel that was all right there in front of me. I was playing a game during the first half but don't think I missed anything key. That explains the investigation she was doing.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Thinking about it, even though it's a little silly, I think I enjoyed cam. Was a decent little thriller movie and did have a lot to say underneath it. I just totally didn't understand the reveal.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Cam was already a form of horror even without the main copycat plot. The girl's whole life is sad and all her interactions with her fans made me cringe.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Cam was already a form of horror even without the main copycat plot. The girl's whole life is sad and all her interactions with her fans made me cringe.
    Since it was written by someone who used to cam, I think you're not supposed to interpret it that way

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So I've been watching the second season of Legion on Hulu and I swear to god it's like so much of this show is just weird for no good reason.

Are they ever gonna explain why the androids have mustaches or that one dude wears a basket on his head?

RT800 on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I started watching Nightflyers on Netflix, it is not good, but also sometimes it reminds me a little bit of Event Horizon. So I'll keep watching it!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    RT800 wrote: »
    So I've been watching the second season of Legion on Hulu and I swear to god it's like so much of this show is just weird for no good reason.

Are they ever gonna explain why the androids have mustaches or that one dude wears a basket on his head?

The basket-head costume is a traditional Zen monk thing, worn for the purpose of eliminating identity and ego.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komusō

He and the androids share a consciousness, and I assume the moustaches reflect a lack of specific gender identity, or a desire to not have one.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I saw the box in the app but I never read the description, but Hanna is being remade into a series on Prime and I'm just all ".....why?" The movie was good, there is nothing that padding it out to a series, let alone possibly multiple seasons, would accomplish.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    They seem to be doing that a lot lately. Turning seemingly self-contained movies into shows.

Limitless, Shooter, and Taken all got turned into television series.

Although I liked Limitless and was kinda bummed it got cancelled.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I tried the first episode Nightstalkers last night. It set up a few interesting mysteries but the dialogue and acting is, somehow, even worse than the Expanse. I assume that has to have been the target so well done to everybody involved

We gave it another shake with the second episode

It somehow goes further downhill. Characters make endlessly stupid decisions for no clear reason. The pacing is terrible. The acting remains shockingly bad across the board.

The mysteries could be interesting but if I feel a burning urge for resolution I'll find a summary to read

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

...there is one iffy actor on The Expanse (Holden's). Everyone else is great. Bobbie started flat but mostly that was her script.

I agree, but somehow Holden's actor is still perfect for the role. The rawness of his acting comes through as naivete to me, which is what Holden is supposed to exude. To be fair, I saw the show then read the books, so I may have a different take than if you did it the other way around.

Veevee on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    They seem to be doing that a lot lately. Turning seemingly self-contained movies into shows.

Limitless, Shooter, and Taken all got turned into television series.

Although I liked Limitless and was kinda bummed it got cancelled.

Limitless worked because the show was a completely different thing from the movie. They kept the central idea of "An illegal drug makes you really smart for a little while" but made a dramedy procedural in place of the movie's action/thriller and with a goofy, lovable protagonist instead of the douchey guy from the movie.

So far as I'm aware Shooter and Taken basically said, "Hey, those movies did well... let's do that on TV!" which is basically 24 without Kiefer Sutherland or the 'this is all in real-time' hook.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I cant think of anything else thats gone from amazing to barely watchable between seasons like Marvelous Mrs Maisel

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Dexter? Although it was never really amazing per se, just very entertaining.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Community is the stand out series that did that for me

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dexter? Although it was never really amazing per se, just very entertaining.

John Lithgow was the highlight of that show.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The fundamental Dexter disclaimer is stop after season 4; if you find that you just can’t, absolutely stop after season 5.

Dexter found a way to make Edward James Olmos unwatchable.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Dexter started entertaining and fell apart by season 5 which is a perfectly normal arc for a show

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dexter started entertaining and fell apart by season 5 which is a perfectly normal arc for a show

Dexter had a strong concept, but they could never figure out a compelling over-arching story for him. The template of resetting to the status quo while dealing with serial killer of the season just didn't have enough legs to keep the show going forever, and it kept avoiding the most compelling story - Dexter's fall - until too late.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Dexter went awry at the end of Season 2 and never really recovered for any stretch of time, but the end of season 4 sure was a hard flush down the toilet

It’s an antagonist show convinced it’s an antihero show and the more that became apparent the more the show fell apart around that

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Single parent Dexter had some potential but they decided to memory hole the kids instead

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

True, that. That show took a dizzying spiral all over the place. Most of that was due to the crazy development stories, but still.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, the first two-ish seasons are pretty clear that Dexter is an extremely unreliable narrator, that his dad was a lunatic who super fucked up both his kids, and that Dexter's choice of target isn't at all about vigilante-ism, and his confrontations with them at the end aren't about ascertaining guilt, but just part of his ritual that lets him feel powerful.

I'm not sure that the writers lost the plot exactly, it felt more like they just realized that hey, if we turn Dexter into a vigilante-type antihero then we can keep this shit going in syndication and make some easy money.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Kana wrote: »
    Yeah, the first two-ish seasons are pretty clear that Dexter is an extremely unreliable narrator, that his dad was a lunatic who super fucked up both his kids, and that Dexter's choice of target isn't at all about vigilante-ism, and his confrontations with them at the end aren't about ascertaining guilt, but just part of his ritual that lets him feel powerful.

I'm not sure that the writers lost the plot exactly, it felt more like they just realized that hey, if we turn Dexter into a vigilante-type antihero then we can keep this shit going in syndication and make some easy money.

The first season also constantly reinforced that Dexter was a sociopath who was just good enough at appearing normal to function in society, but that was at the expense of having to frequently commit murder. They spent the rest of the show steadily walking this back as they tried to make him more sympathetic, more of a vigilante, rather than deal with the original setup where he was a human time bomb.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Dexter went awry at the end of Season 2 and never really recovered for any stretch of time, but the end of season 4 sure was a hard flush down the toilet

It’s an antagonist show convinced it’s an antihero show and the more that became apparent the more the show fell apart around that

I'm not quite sure how you're using the words "antihero" and "antagonist", because Dexter was definitely the protagonist of his show, and he was definitely an antihero. Do you just mean that he was too shitty a person to root for? Because that's fair.

I'd classify it in the same basket as Breaking Bad (charismatic shitty person does shitty things until everything collapses around him), except Breaking Bad was well executed and Dexter was a garbage fire.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options

Community was weird in that not only did it go from phenomenal to barely watchable, it then went back up up to pretty great. I was glad I binged it, because if I'd been watching it live, I absolutely would've walked away after S4.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I'm not quite sure how you're using the words "antihero" and "antagonist", because Dexter was definitely the protagonist of his show, and he was definitely an antihero. Do you just mean that he was too shitty a person to root for? Because that's fair.

I'd classify it in the same basket as Breaking Bad (charismatic shitty person does shitty things until everything collapses around him), except Breaking Bad was well executed and Dexter was a garbage fire.

I think it comes down to how much you buy into Dexter's justification for what he does and why. He thinks he's an anti-hero but like Kana said, there's an argument that he's full of shit.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Community was weird in that not only did it go from phenomenal to barely watchable, it then went back up up to pretty great. I was glad I binged it, because if I'd been watching it live, I absolutely would've walked away after S4.

I didn't know it got better. I watched a couple episodes of the bad series and just aborted permanently

• Options
    At one point Dexter murders a guy who turns out to be innocent, if an asshole. You'd think given his personal narrative about turning his impulses into justice he'd be profoundly shaken by this but his consternation barely lasts the episode before he's back out killing.

Granted that might have just been shitty writing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I cant think of anything else thats gone from amazing to barely watchable between seasons like Marvelous Mrs Maisel

It's usually a later season thing.

-The last 2 seasons of That 70's Show after Eric and Donna didn't get married, like damn you did not care at all.
    -Top Gear when they changed hosts, it went from day one to obligation almost (I can't even remember much of the last season and I swear I watched it)
    -Simpsons after S10, natch

But what comes to mind is Walking Dead S1 to S2, soured me not only on the show but the comic as well, I just walked away.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

It's usually a later season thing.

-The last 2 seasons of That 70's Show after Eric and Donna didn't get married, like damn you did not care at all.
    -Top Gear when they changed hosts, it went from day one to obligation almost (I can't even remember much of the last season and I swear I watched it)
    -Simpsons after S10, natch

But what comes to mind is Walking Dead S1 to S2, soured me not only on the show but the comic as well, I just walked away.

Yeah but a lot of those are just shows running their course and declining with various gradients. I think Walking Dead had some funding or studio problems on season 2 which is why it was all shot at the one house?

As far as I know there weren't any problems with Marvelous Mrs Maisel, they just decided to immediately flanderize all their characters on like the 10th episode of the show.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

I think it comes down to how much you buy into Dexter's justification for what he does and why. He thinks he's an anti-hero but like Kana said, there's an argument that he's full of shit.

Nobody thinks himself an antihero. That's not even a thought it would make sense to have, because an antihero is just a protagonist who isn't traditionally heroic or noble. Thinking "I am an antihero" would mean thinking "I am the main character of a story, but I am not a good guy." Which is nonsensical.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think Walking Dead might have suffered because they were playing it pretty safe with S1. Short first season and then it blew up so much and they had to capitalize.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

Nobody thinks himself an antihero. That's not even a thought it would make sense to have, because an antihero is just a protagonist who isn't traditionally heroic or noble. Thinking "I am an antihero" would mean thinking "I am the main character of a story, but I am not a good guy." Which is nonsensical.

I think its a very nonsensical thing for a healthy person to think

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.