As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Seriously, I don't get the outrage. I don't just pick up a show to watch without knowing the general premise, there are a billion things out there and without that sort of minor premise spoiler you wouldn't know the difference between Dawson's Creek and 13 Reasons Why.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Boy, I'm glad I recommended Russian Doll in this thread before the premise was revealed in this thread

why do people always have to know what they're getting before they try it, gosh
    I have limited free time, there is far more content available than I have time to consume.
    gotta have some way to narrow down the field.

That's what recommendations are for.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It's like closed captioning, or vegetarian options

Give me the option not to be spoiled on it by for example not including the surprise premise in the first episode description

If I want to be spoiled I have trailers and Wikipedia and many other avenues to easily discover this information

If I want to just watch a thing and be surprised 15 minutes in, that should be cool too

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Aw man, Travelers has been cancelled.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/netflix-cancels-travelers-proving-that-our-timeline-has-been-abandoned/

I think I have 1 or 2 episodes left. Gonna be sad finishing those now. I really liked that cast and world.

Bummer! It got a good ending though

Guess my getting you hooked worked

yeah I burned through it pretty fast. It was really enjoyable

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So I watched a bunch of Netflix this weekend and here are my thoughts:

Russian Doll, worth watching was pretty good also its only 8 30 minute episodes so thats nice. I had the conceit spoiled by a Netflix auto play trailer, but really it was the thing that got me to watch it. I'm not saying I wouldnt watch a show about Natasha Lyonne at a party, but it doesnt hook me the same way.

Incredibles 2 the GC was really good like almost indistinguishable from real life good, very impressive. Movie itself was fine, no real complaints but nothing too memorable either.

Punisher War Zone dumb but not bad? Okay I guess. Watched it since apparently its leaving Netflix tomorrow and it had been in my queue for a while. It did make me want to watch the Netflix series so I guess it has that going for it.

Jim & Andy documentary, as someone who basically only knows Jim Carrey for the movies he did between 93-2000 it was interesting to see him be himself (and then go all out becoming Andy Kauffman). Also he had a pretty great beard. I wont pretend to know anything about acting, but I dont get method acting. I mean I get it, but I'm not sure I could be a total dbag to people because the character I'm playing is a dbag. If I'm playing Hannibal Lector am I supposed to eat people? Regardless, it was interesting and its cool that they just let him walk around with a crew filming him the entire time. Also, Jim Carrey's beard is pretty great.

Started Frontier but havent finished it yet; I had tried watching it before and couldnt get into it, second time around its better. Pretty decent background show, but cant say I love it. Turn is a better show though and I should probably spend my time wrapping that up instead.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    What is Natasha Lyonne's deal, anyway? Is she just doing a Dice impression 100% of the time now?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure she just doesnt act

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Just got an email about Spotify Premium, Hulu w/ Ads, and Showtime for $4.99 for students at a Title IV college.

Holy shit, Hulu's UI is... Everyone that worked on that needs to go sit in a corner and think about the crimes against humanity they have done.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    Boy, I'm glad I recommended Russian Doll in this thread before the premise was revealed in this thread

I have limited free time, there is far more content available than I have time to consume.

Recommender: Yo, dog! I saw this awesome show called 13 Reasons Why. It was really cool.
    Literally everyone on earth upon hearing this statement: Oh yeah? What's it about?

Which conversationally leads back to the 15 second autopreview.

Enc on
  • Options
    “It’s a teen drama, I liked it a lot”
    “Oh, I like teen dramas and I know you personally so I know our taste often matches up. I guess I’ll try the first episode and see what I think”

vs

“It’s about [etc]”
    “Oh, sounds interesting. I guess I’ll try the first episode and see what I think.”
    (later)
    “Yep, this sure is exactly what my friend described”

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Enc wrote: »

Recommender: Yo, dog! I saw this awesome show called 13 Reasons Why. It was really cool.
    Literally everyone on earth upon hearing this statement: Oh yeah? What's it about?

Nah.

Astaereth: "I saw this awesome movie. You should watch it."
    Me: "Ok, I'll go watch that now."
    /fin

or

Someone with good taste: "I saw this awesome movie. You should watch it."
    Me: "Ok, what's it like?"
    "It's like this romance thing and just trust me, it's great."
    "Ok"

shryke on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Not everyone likes the same things. Additional information may be required to determine if a thing being recommending is of interest.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Aw man, Travelers has been cancelled.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/netflix-cancels-travelers-proving-that-our-timeline-has-been-abandoned/

I think I have 1 or 2 episodes left. Gonna be sad finishing those now. I really liked that cast and world.
    Aww, I really liked that show. They did tie everything up pretty well with that ending though.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Russian Doll was excellent and quite moving.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

Recommendations from this thread are excellent. Recommendations from Netflix not so much.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think there's an argument to be made that what constitutes a spoiler is influenced by artist intention.

If the guy who made it says, "Hey, this show is about *premise*", it's implied that that information isn't meant to ruin your enjoyment, and that's kind of the case with Russian Doll. I mean, literally anything can be a spoiler. The fact that Tony Stark builds a metal suit in Iron Man could be a spoiler. The fact that Robert Downey, Jr is even in the movie could be considered a spoiler.

Some people may prefer that Netflix just consist of a list of movie names and a vague suggestion of genre, but that is not sufficient information for 99% of the population, and there's not really a feasible way to cater to that 1%.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think there's an argument to be made that what constitutes a spoiler is influenced by artist intention.

If the guy who made it says, "Hey, this show is about *premise*", it's implied that that information isn't meant to ruin your enjoyment, and that's kind of the case with Russian Doll. I mean, literally anything can be a spoiler. The fact that Tony Stark builds a metal suit in Iron Man could be a spoiler. The fact that Robert Downey, Jr is even in the movie could be considered a spoiler.

Some people may prefer that Netflix just consist of a list of movie names and a vague suggestion of genre, but that is not sufficient information for 99% of the population, and there's not really a feasible way to cater to that 1%.

You could have a box to tick in your profile that says "don't autoplay trailers." The description of the episode could be more vague, there are plenty of shows that do that. That seems like a good, easy way to start.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    To be honest, reading a description seldom tells me whether or not I'll enjoy something.

I think it's more about how well a story is told than what it's about.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Russian Doll was excellent and quite moving.

I started watching it on your recommendation and I just couldn't get over how unbelievable all those apartment situations were

I will never trust you again

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Nah.

/fin

or

"Ok"

I am glad this can work for you. That is beyond a terrible way for me to even try to consume media. I recently had an anime recommended to me repeatedly by a lot of my friends. It is a psychological horror show which they know is my jam. It also involves a lot of fucked up shit happening to kids which I cannot tolerate. Not only does it ruin the show, but it can fuck my whole week up if not longer depending on how bad it gets. It isn't a situation where I can see it coming and walk away either. Once I see it playing out it is too late for it not to fuck my mental state in so many ways. These are people well aware of my specific trauma with this and they genuinely just forgot for a moment. I am extremely happy I fought them to get a basic description of what the show was about because it saved me a ton of time, and legitimate suffering.

I flat out will not even entertain the concept of trying out a movie or a show unless you sell me on it first. Not just because there are mental trauma bombs waiting, but also because I have more media to consume than time in the day. I have little interest in trying something blind that might not work for me. Like it is cool that you (whoever you are) likes it but that doesn't mean it will tickle my fancy. Whatever specific thing that resonated with you might fall completely flat with me.

This idea that we can't have space for multiple ways to consume media just bugs the hell out of me as well. You want to go in blind? Go for it. I support you having the option. Don't deny me the ability to screen shit I don't want any part of though. I don't get why people get so upset, or argue over how someone else does stuff. I don't think my insistence on doing some research into why I might or might not like a show can really affect anyone else.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    This idea that we can't have space for multiple ways to consume media just bugs the hell out of me as well. You want to go in blind? Go for it. I support you having the option. Don't deny me the ability to screen shit I don't want any part of though. I don't get why people get so upset, or argue over how someone else does stuff. I don't think my insistence on doing some research into why I might or might not like a show can really affect anyone else.

.02:

I don’t think the issue lies so much with wanting more info before jumping into a movie/show. I think the issue with is in a thread like this where both people who like more research and people who like going in blind are looking for recommendations, and info that the blinders would rather not have spoiled gets posted openly. In that case, they’re the ones losing the option for how they prefer to consume media, which could be prevented if the info were wrapped in spoiler tags (and still availabe for people who want more info first).

But what constitues a spoiler for people can be subjective, and having this entire thread be nothing but Title:spoiler tag posts to be on the safe side seems a bit much, so I dunno.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Orphan Black was a show where I struggled on how spoilery to be in my recommendations.

On the one hand, "lady sees a woman who looks just like her on the subway" isn't half bad for a hook.

Add in that
    the woman jumps in front of the train, but leaves her purse and ID
    and it's a better hook, but maybe ruins that moment.

On the other hand, the real draw of the show is Tatiana Maslany
    and her ability to portray 10 or so distinct characters that frequently pretend to be each other.

Russian Doll I was spoiled by the Netflix trailer, but didn't mind so much. I wanted to known why I would be interested.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I dont know if its just on Oz Netflix, but I hugely enjoyed the first season of The New Legends of Monkey over the last few days. Massive nostalgia as I'm of the generation who watched Monkey after school in the 80s. Lots of dry one liners from Kiwi actors, and noone takes it too seriously. Hope there is a second season.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I just started back on Jessica Jones season 2

It's slow, but I'm enjoying the characters so far, and Krysten Ritter is always a joy to watch

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

You could have a box to tick in your profile that says "don't autoplay trailers." The description of the episode could be more vague, there are plenty of shows that do that. That seems like a good, easy way to start.

I don't care a whole lot about trailers spoiling things for the most part but I wholly agree that not giving us an option to not have the fucking app auto play trailers and especially no way to mute them on a smart TV is fucking dumb.

It's had me seriously considering just canceling Netflix all together.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/02/firefox-66-to-block-automatically-playing-audible-video-and-audio/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

"Starting with the release of Firefox 66 for desktop and Firefox for Android, Firefox will block audible audio and video by default. We only allow a site to play audio or video aloud via the HTMLMediaElement API once a web page has had user interaction to initiate the audio, such as the user clicking on a “play” button."

I read that and all I could think of was this thread. And when I came to drop it in the thread I saw the post made about 5 minutes ago and I chortled a bit.

I apologize. I don't mean to make light of something that is clearly very frustrating for some. The timing just...

In any event, I hope that Firefox update helps. It's scheduled for release on March 19th.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I dont know if its just on Oz Netflix, but I hugely enjoyed the first season of The New Legends of Monkey over the last few days. Massive nostalgia as I'm of the generation who watched Monkey after school in the 80s. Lots of dry one liners from Kiwi actors, and noone takes it too seriously. Hope there is a second season.

I liked this show. It’s kinda bad, but in a good way? Like it’s perfect like mind off silly fun Xenia style.

It’s still funny to me that
    His masters secret styles are just a hadouken and a shoruken

Norgoth on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

It's a real stretch to say that wanting to disable autoplay, have my continue watching and my list categories show up at the top, and not having to deal with the triple sized NETFLIX ORIGINALS category is catering to the 1%. The first is literally just an option to disable autoplay. The 2nd is something that everyone I know who uses Netflix requests. And the last is a pet peeve.

• Options
    An elevator pitch cannot be a spoiler. Full stop.

One gets your attention to try the show, the latter is the reason you keep watching the show and/or the payoff for doing so.

Conflating the two and getting huffy about it is totally a thing you can do, I guess. But It's functionally misunderstanding the nature of the pitch.

• Options
    An elevator pitch can absolutely be a spoiler. Some movies are best seen completely blind.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Did the director want me to know about something before watching?

Y: not a spoiler
    N: spoiler

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Nevermind

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    This conversation reminds me of this.

i-DwTVMBd-2100x20000.jpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This conversation reminds me of this.

i-DwTVMBd-2100x20000.jpg
    Hah!
    That second panel didn't age well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Heffling wrote: »

It's a real stretch to say that wanting to disable autoplay, have my continue watching and my list categories show up at the top, and not having to deal with the triple sized NETFLIX ORIGINALS category is catering to the 1%. The first is literally just an option to disable autoplay. The 2nd is something that everyone I know who uses Netflix requests. And the last is a pet peeve.

Simply wanting to disable autoplay (which would be great) is different from wanting to not know anything about a work other than a name and recommendation.

Maybe this spoiler discussion is moving beyond the scope of this thread, though.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Did the director want me to know about something before watching?

Y: not a spoiler
    N: spoiler

1, filmmakers almost never have control over marketing materials.
    2, the primary goal of marketing materials is to get you to watch the thing, not to maximize your enjoyment of the thing.

1 & 2 is why trailers sometimes give away the entire movie. Or to choose a slightly different example, why my friend once received a Netflix DVD for Umberto D. whose envelope plot summary included the thing that happens in the last ten minutes of the movie.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Which is why I said “director” and not “producer”

• Options
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I can safely say, without spoilers, that I want all of you to go and watch Kingdom on Netflix and tell me what you thought.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Nah.

/fin

or

"Ok"

I am glad this can work for you. That is beyond a terrible way for me to even try to consume media. I recently had an anime recommended to me repeatedly by a lot of my friends. It is a psychological horror show which they know is my jam. It also involves a lot of fucked up shit happening to kids which I cannot tolerate. Not only does it ruin the show, but it can fuck my whole week up if not longer depending on how bad it gets. It isn't a situation where I can see it coming and walk away either. Once I see it playing out it is too late for it not to fuck my mental state in so many ways. These are people well aware of my specific trauma with this and they genuinely just forgot for a moment. I am extremely happy I fought them to get a basic description of what the show was about because it saved me a ton of time, and legitimate suffering.

I flat out will not even entertain the concept of trying out a movie or a show unless you sell me on it first. Not just because there are mental trauma bombs waiting, but also because I have more media to consume than time in the day. I have little interest in trying something blind that might not work for me. Like it is cool that you (whoever you are) likes it but that doesn't mean it will tickle my fancy. Whatever specific thing that resonated with you might fall completely flat with me.

That's kind of a personal problem though isn't it? I'd assume your friends have an understanding of the things that trigger you.

Or, if things are as bad as you say in terms of those things impacting you wouldn't you just ask anybody who recommends something to you if it has X things that trigger you? I'm not sure how someone telling you what a movie was about would help get you around that, unless the break the plot out for you beat by beat.

Nobody here is saying you shouldn't have the right to screen things before seeing them, that doesn't preclude others going in blind. To each their own!

SatanIsMyMotor on
This discussion has been closed.