As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    shryke wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    It looks like NBC is going to reboot Battlestar Galactica with Sam Esmail who created Mr. Robot. The bad news is it'll be on NBC's streaming service called Peacock which debuts April 2020.

huh? what's that? you want more pointless reboots?

YES. Let's CGI the fuck out of them ROUS. It's been holding the movie back all along, as we all know.

Listen, they're gonna make Dwayne Johnson fill in for Andre. I like The Rock! But he cannot fill in for The Giant, and you know they're gonna try and shoehorn him in.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    It looks like NBC is going to reboot Battlestar Galactica with Sam Esmail who created Mr. Robot. The bad news is it'll be on NBC's streaming service called Peacock which debuts April 2020.

huh? what's that? you want more pointless reboots?

YES. Let's CGI the fuck out of them ROUS. It's been holding the movie back all along, as we all know.

Listen, they're gonna make Dwayne Johnson fill in for Andre. I like The Rock! But he cannot fill in for The Giant, and you know they're gonna try and shoehorn him in.

Dwane Johnson would be Wesley, then they would bring in someone commercially shorter to be the giant (Danny DeVito?) because no way someone that thinks remaking a perfect movie misses the chance at that comedic trope.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Does that movie have like, a single flaw?

Eh, the all-synthesizer score (except the guitar parts) has always bugged me. It makes the movie feel cheap.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    FYI: We're also talking about the possible Princess Bride remake in the Movies thread (where it might fit better, unless it's going to be made for a streaming service).

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Honestly Princess Bride is one of those movies that I've NEVER heard anyone saying anything bad about... Which makes it totally unique. It's just been one of those things I never think about until someone starts talking. Going to buy it now and watch it this weekend.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My only beef with the Princess Bride is that I had two friends on my life who were just all in that fucking movie and would not shut up about it. But that can really ruin any piece of entertainment for me.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Those "very famous people" are fucking morons.

Want's next, Citizen Kane?

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

They are looking to remake The Office (again) for Peacock and Quibi grabbed Kiefer Sutherland for a remake of The Fugitive.
    And Saved by the Bell is having a continuation on Peacock:
    Elizabeth Berkley and Mario Lopez are attached to star...The new Saved By the Bell features Zack Morris as governor of California, and when Governor Morris gets into hot water for closing too many low-income high schools, he proposes they send affected students to the highest performing schools in the state, including Bayside High. The influx of new students gives the privileged Bayside kids a dose of reality.
    Plus you all wanted it:
    Peacock is also working on a new Punky Brewster starring original series star Soleil Moon Frye as a grown-up version of her previously pint-sized character.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

It's not even in color, let alone the possibilities that 3D would open up.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    You know what we need is a CGI reboot of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Where he's a sniper in Vietnam and has full sleeve tattoos that he later has to cover up with sweaters. Oh oh, make the main plot a series of post traumatic flashbacks intercut with the Tom Hanks movie coming out this year.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3_WfESR2DU

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Where he's a sniper in Vietnam and has full sleeve tattoos that he later has to cover up with sweaters. Oh oh, make the main plot a series of post traumatic flashbacks intercut with the Tom Hanks movie coming out this year.

And the trolley to the Neighborhood of Make-Believe is actually heroin.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Undone on Amazon is really good. Everyone should watch it.

• Options
    LeTwig wrote: »

Really? Any more non spoiler info cause I thought the trailer looked blah.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    The trailer looked like Waking Life with even more pseudo-spiritual hogwash, but apparently it's made by the Bojack Horseman team and is actually good?

On a related note, I finished Season 1 of Tuca & Bertie and I definitely liked it more as it went along, I'm sad there won't be any more.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Honestly Princess Bride is one of those movies that I've NEVER heard anyone saying anything bad about... Which makes it totally unique. It's just been one of those things I never think about until someone starts talking. Going to buy it now and watch it this weekend.

I know a few people who rank it somewhere between bad and overrated.
    But just a few.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The only complaint I've ever mustered towards The Princess Bride is Andre's incomprehensible dialogue. He's got some good stuff buried under his accent and stiff delivery.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    As I've said elsewhere, I don't have a problem with it being rebooted as such. The 2004 BSG was an original, compelling piece of fiction (ending notwithstanding), even if it was a reboot. It also benefited creatively from being about 9/11 and resulting anxieties, it was very much a timely series. I wonder what a 2020 BSG could be about - refugees, perhaps?

Dude, you made me interested there . That is a good new take on the original setting, which was pretty much ancient astronauts + Democracy sucks(I mean the Quorum in BSG2004 was trouble, but the BSG1977 was a joke).

You could even go back to the old show and have the Cylon be aliens robots, humanity traveling across a galaxy filled with different aliens that could help, but not at the expense of their own safety. The RTF heading for the promised land Earth, not knowing if they will be received warmly or turned away.

What I am saying that your suggestion is a good way to do something that his both new and true to the previous series.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

It has really good dialogue. The character relationships are dysfunctional but believable. The story isn't groundbreaking, but it's told really well.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I know I am late on this (can you be late with something that came out so recently?) but holy fuck The Boys is amazing. Every performance knocks it out of the park, the tension ebbs and flows, the characters are very well written, and it has some of the most awkward erections/sex scenes I could imagine. I am only halfway done but I plan on binging the other half tomorrow.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Vinland Saga remains an extremely well-done adaptation.

If you want to watch a show about Vikings, this is the one to watch.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

There's not a lot you can say about it without spoiling stuff, because even really mentioning the plot or premise could be considered spoilery.

Rosa Salazar is a jaded woman who gets in a car crash and then weird shit starts happening. The episodes are only thirty minutes, so watch the first one and see what you think. It's gorgeous to look at, and the dialogue is really good. It feels not unlike A Scanner Darkly in tone, and the rotoscoped animation is similarly beautiful.

I'm three or four episodes in, and i'm hooked.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You've heard the tales, you know of the memes it created, but Who Killed Captain Alex? is up on Amazon Prime. Sadly it's the one with the VJ commentator and not a clean cut but as the film says early on, the director deleted his final cut on his computer in order to make room for his next movie.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    The Rotoscoping ruined Undone for me. I couldn't get past it. I probably would have watched it if it was just filmed normally.

• Options
    I think the rotoscoping blends nicely with the surreal visuals that accompany the later parts of the series, and those wouldn't work as live action without a huge effects budget (and even then, a lot of the charm would be lost).

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    stuck half way through dark crystal. i've enjoyed more as i go on, but it doesn't draw me back in like other series i've binged. i think the puppetry is still off-putting to me for too many of the gelflings.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    stuck half way through dark crystal. i've enjoyed more as i go on, but it doesn't draw me back in like other series i've binged. i think the puppetry is still off-putting to me for too many of the gelflings.

The story gets so insane in the latter half you'll probably stop noticing that entirely. I say this as someone who has always found the gelflings more than a little unsettling in design.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I loved the movie as a kid growing up in the dayglo era, but damn those puppets are scary.

Winklebottom on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Watching Disenchanted S2. Some good stuff so far.
    Gerry - "Throw a little magic powder in the fire and ask it to show you whomever you want"
    Bean - *adds a little powder * Show me Luci. *Adds more powder* "C'mon show me Luci"
    Cloyd - "STOP THROWING MY COCAINE IN THE FIRE!"

God - Hey new guy, get a look at this
    Gerry - It's about time someone took you down a peg, for all the pain and suffering
    God - Gerry, what if I told you all of that was to make you stronger
    Gerry - I'd say that you're a sick bastard

*Looking through the book of the dead for Hell*
    Bean - Surprising amount of popes in here

Bean - I going by the name Juanita...Demonheimer
    Demon - That sounds kind of real

Luci - Damn, you guys are heavy, do we really need both of you?
    Bean/Elfo - Yes
    Luci - Damn I hate democracy

God - I invented "they" before "he" and "she", they don't write that part down

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, just watched that Between Two Ferns movie on Netflix.

It's not good.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Of course it's not good.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Gerry - "Throw a little magic powder in the fire and ask it to show you whomever you want"
    Bean - *adds a little powder * Show me Luci. *Adds more powder* "C'mon show me Luci"

Gerry - It's about time someone took you down a peg, for all the pain and suffering

Bean/Elfo - Yes

Episode 3 (I think):
    Zog - Bite my shiny metal axe!

I’ve been bingeing Futurama since it got put up on Prime, so hooray for cross-show voice actor references

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

Bean/Elfo - Yes

Episode 3 (I think):
    Zog - Bite my shiny metal axe!

I’ve been bingeing Futurama since it got put up on Prime, so hooray for cross-show voice actor references

There's a location called Farnsworth somewhere too. Definitely feel that Futurama is the more loved series by the people behind this one.

Full season spoilers
    Sometimes I forget that it isn't a reset series like Simpsons or Futurama (though Rama has more consistency), this is telling a season long arc and in multi-season arc. I'd say I'm a bit disappointed that it ends a lot like season 1 with Bean with her mum and Dreamland removed/against her, but they are different characters NOW than they were at the start of the season and the start of the last season. I'd be happy with a few more seasons but I'm not sure they will get more than maybe 1 extra. Maybe it does really wellt hough.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Started up Fleabag, and yeah, fleabag really might be the most accurate description of her.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

It's not good.

I found it to be good, y'know, in that its so bad its good way. Guessing you didn't stay for the bits of blooper reel at the end, eh? Oh well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It's not good.

I found it to be good, y'know, in that its so bad its good way. Guessing you didn't stay for the bits of blooper reel at the end, eh? Oh well.

I quite liked the blooper reel, actually. Probably the funniest part of the whole movie. And pretty much all of the Between Two Ferns segments were pretty good. But the actual movie? It's bad.

Also, unrelated, but I'm on season 2 of Fleabag and holy shit it's so good.
    The whole dynamic with the priest and the 4th wall breaking is amazing.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It's not good.

It's good, if you're into that sort of thing.

• Options
    It's eating my posts!

First, I want everyone to know that 'One Cut of the Dead' will be streaming on Shudder on 9/24 and everyone should already be subscribing to Shudder to support Joe Bob and Darcy regardless.

Second, Between Two Ferns is great in that it's a type of delivery that hits the same notes as Kaufman or 'The Amazing Johnathan Documentary'. If you possess those same notes you'll like it.

This discussion has been closed.