As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Evil Dead 2 is my go to movie for horror comedy

Army of Darkness is for when I’m in more of a comedy horror mood

Having watched it again recently, I can confirm that Army of Darkness is still delightful.

Also was reminded that Army of Darkness is a farm for "skeletons reacting to shit" gifs.

And it's still far better than the Battle of Winterfell.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Is anyone watching Watchmen on HBO? If I posted a thread would people post in it?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Apple is adapting Foundation apparently. But I think more Prelude to Foundation? Given that they've cast Jared Harris as Hari Seldon and it sounds like he's the main character.

It's probably pointless to try to pin down their adaptation on any specific book, since the whole Foundation series is easily the least filmable work Asimov ever did and so the adaptation is bound to be extremely loose.
    Eh, I don't think it's unfilmable. Just structured in an unusual way. They could copy that structure successfully, I think. They probably won't, the cowards, but they *could*. In fact I can think of a very successful TV show that had a similar structure, one with a broad, historical sweep and lots of time-skips, etc: Roots (1977).

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Is anyone watching Watchmen on HBO? If I posted a thread would people post in it?

I was really curious about it but don't have an HBO sub

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Haven't had a chance yet, but I'm planning on watching the first 2 episodes sometime this week. I'll post in said thread and love talking about the Moore graphic novel and the film.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

I'm planning to watch it but probably no time until next weekend. I may hold off until I can shotgun it four episodes at a time.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I would totally watch the Watchmen series if I had HBO, but my normal behavior is to sign up for a few months a year, catch up on everything I've missed, then go dark again. There's not enough for me to justify $15 per month year round.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    The series has sounded interested and gotten buzz from critics whose opinions I trust, buuut if I'm gonna watch it I'm probably just going to wait until the whole first season is out

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I would, though I'd always be at least a week behind, added to which I'm about to go away on holiday for three weeks. But yeah, based on episode 1 I'm very much into it: my impression is that it's a smart, audacious riff on Moore's comic.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m not gonna start watching this series until Alan Moore finishes writing it.

Learned that lesson the hard way.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Alan Moore has nothing to do with the show. He pretty much hates any time DC trots out his characters. To the point where he insists his name be removed from pretty much any film/TV adaptation.

Ironic considering he made the characters up because he couldn't use the Charlton Comics characters

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I suppose I should have been clearer that I was joking

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

As i understand it, it's a one season show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

I'm still waiting for that Lost Girls adaptation.

Narrator: He wasn't.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Evil Dead 2 is my go to movie for horror comedy

Army of Darkness is for when I’m in more of a comedy horror mood

Having watched it again recently, I can confirm that Army of Darkness is still delightful.

Also was reminded that Army of Darkness is a farm for "skeletons reacting to shit" gifs.

And it's still far better than the Battle of Winterfell.

That one skeleton that looks around and says "Let's get the hell out of here!" Still makes me laugh and I've seen that movie easily fifty times.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

It is? Thats... disappointing. It's been phenomenal so far and I was kinda hoping itd be the new GoT.

I guess that's Succession.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

It is? Thats... disappointing. It's been phenomenal so far and I was kinda hoping itd be the new GoT.

It's a one season story. That doesn't preclude a new arc telling a different story.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

It's a one season story. That doesn't preclude a new arc telling a different story.

Ah. So like True Detective then?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Sometimes I think Alan Moore is just a cranky old man, then I read something like they let Damon Lindelof write a Watchmen series. "Ah, ok, I guess I see where it comes from."

'“What would be horrendous, and DC could legally do it, would be to have Rorschach crossing over with Batman or something like that, but I’ve got enough faith in them that I don’t think they’d do that,” he told Neil Gaiman in a public interview preserved by the Comics Journal.'

:?

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Sometimes I think Alan Moore is just a cranky old man, then I read something like they let Damon Lindelof write a Watchmen series. "Ah, ok, I guess I see where it comes from."
    Lindelof's written what I'd argue is one of the best TV series of the century to date, and he's off to a very good start with Watchmen. He's also done some terrible, terrible stuff, but based on the strength of The Leftovers I'll gladly let him try his hand at defiling Uncle Alan.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Lindelof's written what I'd argue is one of the best TV series of the century to date, and he's off to a very good start with Watchmen. He's also done some terrible, terrible stuff, but based on the strength of The Leftovers I'll gladly let him try his hand at defiling Uncle Alan.

It also helps to remember that the reason that so many of us were disappointed with Lost's last couple seasons is because what led up to them was incredibly entertaining.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    So far I've enjoyed the first two episodes of Watchmen and unless it turns really south I'll finish out the season.
    I don't know if anyone else has conflicted feelings about Lindelof, but I hated Lost past season 1 and I loved The Leftovers.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    So far I've enjoyed the first two episodes of Watchmen and unless it turns really south I'll finish out the season.
    I don't know if anyone else has conflicted feelings about Lindelof, but I hated Lost past season 1 and I loved The Leftovers.

They also wrote Prometheus and World War Z? Yeah, consider me skeptical. I hear good things about the series though. That it is a one season story makes me more hopeful, but I can wait until more episodes come out before jumping in.

• Options

They also wrote Prometheus and World War Z? Yeah, consider me skeptical. I hear good things about the series though. That it is a one season story makes me more hopeful, but I can wait until more episodes come out before jumping in.

I'm never going to jump on anyone for their scripts for a movie, especially a blockbuster. It's practically a cliche at this point that what happens in the original script has very little relation to what happens on the screen. There's a reason that "What the fuck did they do to my script!" Hollywood memoirs are practically a genre.

TV showrunners, on the other hand, do have a lot of power to make sure their vision is executed as they desire.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

They also wrote...World War Z?

They are now dead to me.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

They are now dead to me.

World War Z could have been an eight part mini series event like Chernobyl and absolutely killed it as a serious dramatized documentary and instead we got Brad Pitt NATO Ninja.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

They are now dead to me.

World War Z could have been an eight part mini series event like Chernobyl and absolutely killed it as a serious dramatized documentary and instead we got Brad Pitt NATO Ninja.

It wasn't even an awful movie, it just wasn't World War Z.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The book has its own share of silliness too though. What with its blind samurai masters, etc.

I still love the submarine story from that book though. I'd love to see that adapted into a short.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

They are now dead to me.

To be fair, it was written by three people.
    Screenplay by
    Matthew Michael Carnahan
    Drew Goddard
    Damon Lindelof

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So that prank show, Prank Encounters, done by the kid from Stranger Things that got a bunch of bad press a while back is on Netflix.

I checked it out and its literally, like almost fully literally, just Scare Tactics. Look, Scare Tactics is like my guilty pleasure of reality tv shows and I've watched a ton of it. I love it, its great, it makes me laugh and its fascinating what people will believe when they are in the middle of a stressful situation. So when the first episode started, I was kind of pumped to realize it was just a reskinned Scare Tactics. The first episode followed a super familiar formula, except they got pretty ambitious and were attempting to prank two different people at once. Otherwise, the whole thing was basically the same with a crazy premise and some staged events that got the victims scared and freaked out. It even has some of the same actors and stuff. But then the end came and the first real and only major difference reared its head and I think its a huge downgrade from the original show. I'd dare to say it changes the entire tone of the show for the worse.

In Scare Tactics, they would end the scare by asking the victim, "Are you scared? You shouldn't be, you're on Scare Tactics" and then they'd point out the cameras and talk the person down a bit. Most importantly, though, they would bring out the friend or family member that put them on the show and there'd be this fun interaction of the victim getting mad at their friend, hugging it out and overall showing that everything was cool.

In Prank Encounters, stranger things kid just kind of comes out and tells them its a prank. He tries to confusingly point out its not real and ask if they know who he is. The whole process is a bunch less clear and feels much more confusing and sort of ... mean(?) compared to Scare Tactics. Show them getting some money or a prize or something.

They should have kept the end formula. Especially the part where a friend or family member is the one responsible for putting the victim on the show. As is, it just feels like an actor meanly picking on random people.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Anyone looking to sign up for Shudder? They're doing a 31% off their annual pass which brings it down to $39.

https://try.shudder.com/halloween2019

I went ahead and got it. $3 a month is almost nothing and there are a bunch of shows I want to watch on there.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Had a lot of fun watching Daybreak today. As a parent I loved telling my kid about things like Ferris Beuller references and she loved the stylistic choices through out. 10/10 would recommend :)

I just got done watching Daybreak and I was very pleasantly surprised by it. It's got enough character development, humour and twists to be worth giving a go, although it did also feel a bit laser targeted to appeal to the "grew up in the 80s/90s" demographic at times.

I really hope there's a season two - if nothing else I want to see where the
    Sam as villain and Ms. Crumble as whatever-the-fuck-she-is

plotlines go.

I've enjoyed it as well. I love Angelica and her "I'm a genius with a very flexible morality."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I found they had season 1 of the terror on hulu so I started catching up on it...and I don't really like it. I'm giving it a lot of rope because I love the era and setting and Jared Harris but I was under the impression it was supposed to be more of a lovecraftian sort of story rather than
    some weird Predator-like story

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Finished Big Mouth season 3, and it was probably the best season yet. I'm really glad they reduced their usage of Coach Steve, he was previously the most annoying character by far.

Three episodes into Living With Yourself, the Paul Rudd clone thing. So far I have much more sympathy for the clone than original Paul Rudd and his generic white-collar angst. Curious to see where it goes, though!

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Finished Big Mouth season 3, and it was probably the best season yet. I'm really glad they reduced their usage of Coach Steve, he was previously the most annoying character by far.

Three episodes into Living With Yourself, the Paul Rudd clone thing. So far I have much more sympathy for the clone than original Paul Rudd and his generic white-collar angst. Curious to see where it goes, though!

Oh my god, that's a show!? I thought it was a movie!

Partner and I are two episodes into Big Mouth 3, and yeah they're very funny. Still a raunchy show that does a good job of making light of serious issues.

• Options
    I think it's eight 30-minute episodes and a self-contained story, so basically a long-ass movie broken up into chunks a la Russian Doll or Maniac.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I found they had season 1 of the terror on hulu so I started catching up on it...and I don't really like it. I'm giving it a lot of rope because I love the era and setting and Jared Harris but I was under the impression it was supposed to be more of a lovecraftian sort of story rather than

that aspect of the story isn't huge. Its a plot device not the main story.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

It’s not really Lovecraftian, in the sense that Lovecraft’s Great Old Ones were essentially unknowable, beyond the ability of human minds to comprehend. What’s happening in The Terror is merely beyond the ability of British minds to comprehend.

It is a great show, though. The thing in your spoiler is kind of a red herring, the story is more about the crew and what happens to them than anything else.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Anyone looking to sign up for Shudder? They're doing a 31% off their annual pass which brings it down to $39.

https://try.shudder.com/halloween2019

I went ahead and got it. $3 a month is almost nothing and there are a bunch of shows I want to watch on there.

Are any of the Shudder originals worth watching?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Yeah, it just kind of feels a little distracting to me, because the ACTUAL IRL scenario is horrible enough without the supernatural stuff. It just feels a little like padding.

This discussion has been closed.