Options

The [Marvel] Thread: Now in WandaVision!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Next week's Avengers is the origin of the first ever Iron Fist and I would like Jason Aaron to please have an Iron Fist run at some point because:
    qrtmqptehwp2.jpg
    o67rtlg3z8jz.jpg
    2b7r1iphp9nm.jpg
    21tgvc5q46nl.jpg
    gcevzzi2hfet.jpg

this rules

Also it is super weird seeing Andrea Sorrentino's art colored by someone else, it looks more like Esad Ribic than anything I've seen from him

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yoooooooooo

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    That is a good comic

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That's not bad.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That Thunderer looks like such a schlub.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Thunderers have been schlubs since at least Immortal.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone reading the Punisher recently? I heard about something but it'd be nice to have confirmation.
    Is it true Fury Jr actually gave Frank to Zemo?

• Options
    edited January 2019

This is a super interesting, and lengthy, thread from a comic shop in Dublin about 2018 and the current market of comics. They are clear this is for their shop, specifically, and not meant to be taken as gospel for the industry as a whole, but is likely similar to many shops.

The bullet points:
    DC has stayed pretty strong from Rebirth on, but there is a big gap between their top titles and the bulk of their output.

Marvel has had some big issues but the constant relaunches and expensive #1 issues is killing books and driving away readers. The LCS estimates they could have sold triple the amount of copies of Uncanny X-Men #1 if it was regularly priced, not 8 dollars.

Image has had a good year, but Saga taking a hiatus has hurt their sales as Saga is their biggest title and there are customers that would just buy Saga and try new Image books. Additionally, the difference in sales between the handful of high profile books from creators like Gillen and Vaughn and the dozens of new series from relatively unknown creators is GIGANTIC with a lot of books not selling a single issue.

IDW's Transformers books sold well and had a loyal following that may vanish with the new reboot, the rest was middling.

New publishers like Vault and Aftershock sold surprisingly well and were appreciated by the fans but publishing issues and delays put a damper on some of the titles, primarily with Vault.

A price increase is probably on the way, as comics have been 3.99 for over almost 2 decades now and costs have increased over that time. It will be up to publishers to make that price feel worth it, as 5 dollars an issue is a big mental hurdle to climb.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Noice.

I'd like to see Storm interact with the Marvel universe sans her X-teammates.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Next week's Avengers is the origin of the first ever Iron Fist and I would like Jason Aaron to please have an Iron Fist run at some point because:
    qrtmqptehwp2.jpg
    o67rtlg3z8jz.jpg
    2b7r1iphp9nm.jpg
    21tgvc5q46nl.jpg
    gcevzzi2hfet.jpg

this rules

Also it is super weird seeing Andrea Sorrentino's art colored by someone else, it looks more like Esad Ribic than anything I've seen from him

the shading, especially the way shadows fall across the characters' faces, is really reminiscent of ribic. Sorrentino doesn't seem to have the same bugaboo about drawing mouths though, so that's nice

also yeah this looks dope

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Big Bang is a very cool shop and the best comic shop brand on twitter

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Marvel has announced a bi-weekly X-Men title, to replace its weekly title that has gone monthly.

It is Major X....written by Rob Liefeld, with art from Liefeld, Whilce Portacio and Brett Peebles.
    vbo72cbn08ag.jpeg

I don't like Liefeld's art, but I respect his hustle as an artist.

But uh

His writing isn't very good at all and I am not very confident that a brand new title based on a character he designed back in 1994 that he never used that he is mostly just writing will be anywhere close to good, for anyone.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The mouths, the mouths oh them horrible mouths

Hobnail on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I think that’s the least Leifeld thing Leifeld has ever drawn. I mean, it’s still his style, but he drew feet! And the guns mostly look like guns! And I’m not seeing any anatomy that’s way out to lunch!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Is that an armless and wristless hand reaching up from Major Xs groin?

Edit: also you'd think after becoming basically a joke to fans and the industry in general, liefeld would try to improve on some things

Though I guess I don't see any usb ports on those guns

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I saw that it was called major x and didn't see anything else and thought "is this some rob liefeld shit"

Good job brain

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Curling your upper lip up so that it’s above your top gum line takes some effort

• Options
    They kind of look like guns, like that's clearly what they're supposed to be but man for a guy who has drawn many many many many thousands of guns being gripped Rob Liefelds drawings of guns being gripped sure aren't very proficient

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Don’t get me wrong. It still isn’t good (for a professional), but it looks like he put in more effort than usual.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    My favorite is storm

OOOOH A DOGGO

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think that’s the least Leifeld thing Leifeld has ever drawn. I mean, it’s still his style, but he drew feet! And the guns mostly look like guns! And I’m not seeing any anatomy that’s way out to lunch!

Yeah as much fun as it is to make fun of his 90s output he has become a more competent artist since then.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I mostly find Rob Liefeld art to be enjoyably bad but the mouths are too much the mouths make me feel terrible

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Apparently Major X is from "another realm" where humans and mutants live peacefully

It is called

X-istence

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Apparently Major X is from "another realm" where humans and mutants live peacefully

It is called

X-istence

Okay I might be on board now

• Options
    Do you think they asked him, or do you think he made a pitch?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

To be fair, there's only one character there with anatomy that we can see.
    The rest are either floating heads, or hidden behind a floating head.

I do kind of envy Beast and Wolverine's dentist though. "Open Wide... well, damn, I don't even need a mirror to see your back teeth. Could practically fit both hands down those maws if I needed too".

Yes, I like to believe that's the kind of thing that makes a dentist's day.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Do you think they asked him, or do you think he made a pitch?
    I imagine they approached him asking if he would want to do anything and he then pitched the specific idea

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular

It is called

X-istence

unironically love this

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Wow I can't believe Leifeld created a new character that has guns AND a sword

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Wow I can't believe Leifeld created a new character that has guns AND a sword

Is it a sword? I had assumed some kind of generic martial arts stick.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    It could be anything, a sword, a double sword, or even...
    A magical weapon with three great razor-sharp blades. According to legend, a master forger created a sword with two blades at the facetious suggestion of a knight, who, finding that the resulting blade was quite functional, jovially quipped, "Ah, very good, but could you make a triple sword?" When the answer turned out to be yes, the knight was too shocked to ask about the possibilities of a quadruple sword.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

It is called

X-istence

Wait, are you telling me that in the year 2019 Rob “90s EXTREME” Liefield is writing a book with a positive aspect of coexistence and a character trying to make that the reality here, while the main X- book is focusing on a world that is forcibly making mutants take a “cure” to their mutations?

The fuck happened?

never die on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Major X should take off his helmet and reveal he's an alternate universe Stan Lee

• Options
    never die wrote: »

It is called

X-istence

Wait, are you telling me that in the year 2019 Rob “90s EXTREME” Liefield is writing a book with a positive aspect of coexistence and a character trying to make that the reality here, while the main X- book is focusing on a world that is forcibly making mutants take a “cure” to their mutations?

The fuck happened?
    Oh no, a "horrible tragedy" occurs in X-Instence, which was founded by survivors of a mutant/human war, and causes Major X to seek vengeance in the Marvel U.

It's still Liefeld

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Well that’s a bummer.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I dug through my long boxes last night to find some older runs I wanted to re-read

And man

Jason Aaron's Amazing X-Men is one of the most wasted opportunities Marvel had around that time.

The first arc was a super fun swashbuckling adventure that A) brought Nightcrawler back, B) turned Azazael from a joke villain to a goddamn soul pirate who raids both heaven and hell and C) had a good solid core roster that highlighted everyone really well while letting WatXM focus more on the kids.

And Aaron was gone by issue 7.

It has the X-Men fight the demonic corrupted souls of Billy the Kid and Jack the Ripper as sky pirates in hell!

It fuckin rules!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Is it just me or does Major X's left arm/shoulder area look WEIRD on that cover?

I am absolutely no artist but something seems off to my brain for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.