A Supra Good Year [car thread]

1979899100101103»

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    An old and unpopular car is going to have limited part options available. I'd be surprised if there's more than 1-2 suppliers worldwide for some of that model-specific stuff. Having some company design and manufacture a good one-off part is possible, it's just astronomically expensive. Doing it for an old car worth hundreds of thousands to millions like Jay Leno does is worth it. Doing it for a $1000 Morris would never be. And on top of all that Australia has regulations that depending on application, non-OEM replacement parts or modifications need to have an engineering certification done before you can get the car insured/licensed which further limits your replacement part options.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yay the airbag light in my wifes car is coming on intermittently while she is driving. Predominantly when she is turning. Based on this it’s probably the airbag clock spring. Time to see if i have the tools to pull a modern steering wheel and fix it myself or not.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I ran over a screw yesterday. The tire is slowly leaking but I can refill to get round for an hour or 2. I can see the screw, it's in the groove closest to the middle of the tire. How comfortable are folks with patches? These are brand new tires installed in March. We don't drive too much, mostly inter-city for shopping or driving to the gym.

Given how new the tires are, and I feel like I remember that you need to keep the tread on the tires similar, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just look at getting a replacement? Or since it's far from the side wall, is a patch good enough to last another 5 years?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I’ve had that sort of thing happen a number of times, I just take it to my trusted shop and have them check and repair. Costs like $17.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if its in the center of the tire a patch is completely fine, the material that stuff is made out of is at least as good as what its patching and the adhesive + air pressure means its not going anywhere

go with confidence

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    The patch will be fine, don’t waste money on another new tire.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Discount Tire will fix that kind of leak for free, don't even need to have purchased from them. Just in case there is one near you.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Sadly not, but there is a local shop that has good yelp reviews that mentions they do patching the right way (from inside). I think someone posted it was $45 or something (big city price I'm sure). Just glad to hear it's safe, while $300 on a new tire and install would suck, it's easily worth not having a blow out or anything.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the inside patch is fine. I had it done on a tire and it lasted another 20k miles until I needed to replace the tires. There is a limit (though a small screw embedded will not be one) because apparently I ran over "a knife or something" on my 2 month old tires and I would go from full to flat in less than 5 minutes. Had to get towed to the tire shop for that one and they were like yeah, you need new tires. Luckily they took pity on me and let me retroactively buy their tire warranty so for like $200 (roughly $100 less than a new single tire) I was able to get the tire replaced and a lifetime no-questions replacement on all 4 tires (aside from tread life or dry-rot due to age).

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So the heater core in my Crown Vic has sprung a leak. Going to bypass it for the time being while I decide if I want to have it fixed or finally write the car off.

I love when a $60 part costs $1400 to fix because it requires the removal of the entire dash. fun stuff.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Yay the airbag light in my wifes car is coming on intermittently while she is driving. Predominantly when she is turning. Based on this it’s probably the airbag clock spring. Time to see if i have the tools to pull a modern steering wheel and fix it myself or not.

I would personally not fuck with air bags based more off of setting off and hurting your self

By chance do you have one of the recalled air bags that keep happening ya might be able to fix it for free

icGJy2C.png
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    All these deadly airbags out there, sure is a good thing that neither of my cars has one at all. Much safer!

I did though buy an airbag vest for when I'm on my motorbike, on that side of things. I don't plan on thoroughly testing it out, but I trust it and the reviews are good. It's a Helite Turtle 2 vest with the tether. Cables are more reliable than wi-fi.

I would personally not fuck with air bags based more off of setting off and hurting your self

By chance do you have one of the recalled air bags that keep happening ya might be able to fix it for free

So turns out the clock spring was on an unlimited mileage 15 year extended warranty, so we had it replaced for free at the dealer. would have cost me $800 to have a shop do it so win win!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So the heater core in my Crown Vic has sprung a leak. Going to bypass it for the time being while I decide if I want to have it fixed or finally write the car off.

I love when a $60 part costs $1400 to fix because it requires the removal of the entire dash. fun stuff.

Yeah this is why I can't just pop out and clean the throttle body on my damned Golf. The whole engine block needs to come out to get to the bottom screws.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    So I think I'm about to buy (pending inspection by my regular mechanic), a use 2017 VW GTI

I'm excited

Came through the inspection without issues.

Also I bought a third party warranty to cover drivetrain/electrical for 70k km.

edited September 7
    Yeeeeeeeeee

owr74idei0rn.jpg
    1y6z5ec21bu5.jpg
    ojmmn2rnxtda.jpg

So very happy with this thing

Psykoma on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I love the Golf, but if VW had released the Scirocco in the US I'd have been sprinting to the dealership.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.