Options

A Supra Good Year [car thread]

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I came upon a 1935 Auburn 851 Speedster while driving today and it was pretty impressive. I don't think I've ever just come upon a car that old in traffic before, it was just cruising up the 405 like it was no big deal. Had a supercharged badge on the side, the internet makes me believe that all the '35s had a 4.5L supercharged I8 making a whopping 150bhp.

Apparently they had a pretty innovative rear end gear set where you could select either a 4.5:1 ratio for performance or a 3:1 ratio for better economy while cruising at basically the flip of a switch, essentially giving the car a 6-speed transmission. I've never really been into pre-WW2 cars but it seems like every time I look one up on Wikipedia I find out it had some feature that was highly innovative or weird, and that's pretty neat.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I came upon a 1935 Auburn 851 Speedster while driving today and it was pretty impressive. I don't think I've ever just come upon a car that old in traffic before, it was just cruising up the 405 like it was no big deal. Had a supercharged badge on the side, the internet makes me believe that all the '35s had a 4.5L supercharged I8 making a whopping 150bhp.

Apparently they had a pretty innovative rear end gear set where you could select either a 4.5:1 ratio for performance or a 3:1 ratio for better economy while cruising at basically the flip of a switch, essentially giving the car a 6-speed transmission. I've never really been into pre-WW2 cars but it seems like every time I look one up on Wikipedia I find out it had some feature that was highly innovative or weird, and that's pretty neat.

Pre WW2 cars are awesome. Barely anything was standardized yet. Makes it a pain to find spare parts though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    let me share a frustration with you, car thread

So, a chrysler car costs 19,000 us dollars

not cheap, no siree bob

but, here? after taxes?

it costs 56,000 us dollars

what the actual fuck

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Is that normal for cars in your country or are there cheaper brands?

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    No that's

*sigh*

that's normal

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Speaking of old cars I saw a Ford yesterday that looked like a model T but the roof and side panels were wooden. I have no idea what it was but it's got to be the oldest car I've ever seen on the road.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    No that's

*sigh*

that's normal

*"imported cars are expensive in my country too" solidarity fistbump*

Although, they are doing you a favour - don't buy anything made by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. Their brands (Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat) are consistently at the bottom of the list for quality and reliability.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Don't buy any American brand cars that don't already have their own significant local division, i.e. Ford Europe, Holden.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Our views on drinking and driving have changed a little.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I didn't see it mentioned, so just incase anyone here missed it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Presidential limo (with Trump inside) had to stop and get gas on way to Royal Palace in London. Somebody is fired.

14294456-7098297-The_Beast_was_spotted_at_a_BP_garage_in_London_filling_up_for_th-a-167_1559558029958.jpg

Bonus: The recently revamped "Roadrunner".

14297224-7098297-image-a-192_1559560251824.jpg

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    On the one hand, the technology involved in a presidential limo, and the logistics of dragging it across the world, are neat.

On the other, the man inside it is a malicious fuckmuppet, so it's bad.

• Options
    I'm actually pretty surprised he didn't order a new one built so he wouldn't have to ride in a car that Obama was in.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Are we sure he didn't?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Looks like a new model of limo went into service in late 2018. So he did, basically. There's a fleet of these things, so it's possible one or more Obama-era ones are still in use, or in use as backups/non-President use.

[edit] It's estimated that each limo costs about 1 to 1.5 million, and that the bill paid to Cadillac in 2018 was just under 16 million, so it's estimate that there are about a dozen to fifteen of the current model.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    When he got in the seats were probably coated in clear vinyl.

• Options
    I guess the orange one wasn't in the limo when it got gas, he took the express route via helicopter and parked on some old lady's yard.

14293568-7098297-US_President_Donald_Trump_CR_and_US_First_Lady_Melania_Trump_CL_-a-146_1559558930942.jpg

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Fuck that raging shitgoblin. That orange-basted asshole. Fuck him so much, that fuckinng goose should just fuck the hell off.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    VW ID.R breaks electric car record at Nuburgbubringburbingbring The Ring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZY5IMn0wg

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    VW ID.R breaks electric car record at Nuburgbubringburbingbring The Ring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZY5IMn0wg

I like that its laptime puts it almost equidistant from the fastest car ever (the Porsche 919 Hybrid EVO) and the fastest totally street-legal car (Lamborghini Aventador LP770-4 SVJ). Its about 45 seconds away from the Porsche and about 40 seconds ahead of the Lambo.

• Options
    And it's so quiet at high speeds. Batman would be jealous.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I noticed the thing lost like 8% of its top speed on the back straightaway before the finish (topped ~250 kph) compared to the first big straight section (~270 kph). I wonder how much juice was left in the batteries at the end? IIRC it was basically dead when it topped Pikes Peak last year.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I can relate to that

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    I noticed the thing lost like 8% of its top speed on the back straightaway before the finish (topped ~250 kph) compared to the first big straight section (~270 kph). I wonder how much juice was left in the batteries at the end? IIRC it was basically dead when it topped Pikes Peak last year.

I'm sure they did a shitload of maths to determine the optimal ratio of battery weight to performance potential for that last straight and figured out that they were right on the money there. So yea, I'd say there was a little notification popping up at the end asking if they want to sync onedrive still.

• Options
    Yeah, no idea if they sacrifice extra batteries for weight savings, or just don't have the space for them.

The Formula E racing teams have two cars, because it's quicker to just swap out the car when the battery is dead mid-race than change out the batteries. This next season, though they have batteries that last the whole race.

• Options
    Something happens near the very end of this video that I always assumed happened every once in a while for these kinds of channels:

https://youtu.be/wlxaIjCwDrs

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well I mean he did roll through that stop and the bottom of the hill turnaround.

• Options
    They pulled him over for no front plate, which people try to get away with all the time (mostly to avoid camera traps). Steve Jobs would infamously lease a top end Mercedes and then turn it in and get a new one when it reached the limit for having no plates.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    They pulled him over for no front plate, which people try to get away with all the time (mostly to avoid camera traps). Steve Jobs would infamously lease a top end Mercedes and then turn it in and get a new one when it reached the limit for having no plates.

To be so rich that laws just doesn’t apply to you anymore...

• Options
    He also parked in the front handicap spot at Apple HQ every day just because it was the closest spot.

• Options
    People drive around LA without front plates all the time and don't get pulled over, it's a pretty minor thing to most cops I think, probably because it's a fix it ticket rather than one that generates revenue. Now when you've got a crazy loud exhaust and a super obvious car that was clearly just carving the canyons (and kinda rolling through a stop), they start to notice.

• Options
    Oh yeah, it was totally an excuse to pull them over.

I once had a cop pull me over when we had five people in the car and his reason was I drove through a stoplight turning yellow. He admitted he was just suspicious of a full car of people. Same thing happened when a group of us working a night shift went to get food at 10pm and cops pulled us over for a rolling stop because they said they thought we were gang members.

• Options
    Over here they just pull you over for a 'random' license or breathalyser check.

• Options
  • Options
    And this is why we always check our mirrors before opening the door.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    pimento wrote: »
    And this is why we always check our mirrors before opening the door.

Not only that, but reach for the handle with your opposite hand so you can check over your blind-spot for cyclists / motorbikes

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Journalist Davey Johnson has been missing since Wednesday morning, he was riding a motorcycle from Mammoth, CA to Sacramento, CA and his last contact with anyone were some pictures of a stream sent to a friend. His bike, along with his helmet and gloves but no other personal items, was found parked and undamaged at a semi-remote rest area.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Damn, he is still missing... https://nypost.com/2019/06/11/journalists-fiancee-reveals-his-last-texts-to-her-before-he-vanished/
    The sheriff’s office said they have no reason to suspect foul play.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    This car allegedly goes 300 mph. Can't wait for the first news article about one of these being wrecked ($2.8 million).

Dirtyboy on