As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Dragon Ball] Thread's Limit is MAXIMUM!

1656667686971»

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    how would android 18, an android robot, be kid-a-fied???????

is vegeta being child beamed he is pretty much the only one i am demanding a child version of

Most of the DBZ characters called androids in the dub are actually cyborgs.

yeah like android 18 gave birth to a completely human daughter

I don't think they've explained exactly how that worked, which is probably for the best

Not even cyborgs - 17 & 18 are bioroids if anything - androids built with cutting edge biotech. They've only got a few mechanical bits. 16 was a pure mechanical Android. This is why cell can fuse with them.

It's not actually clarified why Gero went back to the android well for 19/20, implied to be because of stability issues in controlling 17/18

Source: I reread the cell saga like 3 days ago.

ah, I thought she was like... much closer to 16 in that she was mostly a robot with some fleshy bits, but yeah it makes sense that it's the other way around

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I don't think the Super 13 movie helped that perception, as it featured two fully robotic androids having their core parts absorbed by another (probably) fully mechanical android.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 1

is vegeta being child beamed he is pretty much the only one i am demanding a child version of

She and 17 are actually more like (vaguely, nonspecifically) enhanced humans, still more or less biological, not metal robots, nor even a brain in a robot body like Gero was at the end. 16 and 19 were full robot with an artificial mind. Android was not a great translation of the term they use in japanese.

Also magic is real and a wizard did it.

e: yeah gero went back to full mechanical androids for 19 and the 20 body he used for his own cyborg body because 17 and 18 were not particularly loyal to him. Which turned out to be the right call from his point of view because they immediately turn on him and kill him when he wakes them up again.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The weirdest thing is that everyone calls them Android 17 and 18.

Like they had names!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Is this Daima thing a sequel to Super or a spinoff?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Inbetween Z and Super I think

• Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular

She and 17 are actually more like (vaguely, nonspecifically) enhanced humans, still more or less biological, not metal robots, nor even a brain in a robot body like Gero was at the end. 16 and 19 were full robot with an artificial mind. Android was not a great translation of the term they use in japanese.

e: yeah gero went back to full mechanical androids for 19 and the 20 body he used for his own cyborg body because 17 and 18 were not particularly loyal to him. Which turned out to be the right call from his point of view because they immediately turn on him and kill him when he wakes them up again.

Android is the correct translation for the term used in the manga though.

The Japanese term for all the androids(including 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20) is "人造人間"(Jinzouningen) which means Android or or more literally, "Artificial Human". The equivalent term for Cyborg would be "改造人間"(Kaizouningen) or "Modified Human", but that's not used.

There's also other things implying they're mechanical, such as they explicitly don't have a Ki signature and can't be detected by sensing Ki which implies they're not alive/organic as all living things have Ki.(Remember that Ki literally means "Life Force" or "Spirit").

It's just all sorts of weird, but the whole Android/Cell saga is a huge mess(largely caused by editorial interference) that just happens to have some really good moments that allows people to overlook the problems.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I find the concept hilarious that at one point Frieza was the absolute highest power in the then known universe that nobody could possibly ever come close to. And then an earth scientist comes along, grafts some metal augments to a pair of humans, and utterly eclipses this tyrant.

It's some real "TONY STARK BUILT THIS IN A CAVE!" energy.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I was under the impression jinzoningen had a broader meaning, not necessarily implying they are robotic in the way "android" does

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I find the concept hilarious that at one point Frieza was the absolute highest power in the then known universe that nobody could possibly ever come close to. And then an earth scientist comes along, grafts some metal augments to a pair of humans, and utterly eclipses this tyrant.

It's some real "TONY STARK BUILT THIS IN A CAVE!" energy.

Wasn't the reason the Androids were stronger than Trunk's timeline because Frieza was killed on Earth, allowing Gero to scoop up some DNA to analyze and incorporate it into his creations?

• Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    I was under the impression jinzoningen had a broader meaning, not necessarily implying they are robotic in the way "android" does

Kind of, but also not really the way we would use Cyborg.

Like, the most literal reading of the word would be "Human-Made Humans". So Cell, despite being 100% biological, can be considered a Jinzoningen or "Android" because he's 100% artificially made.

It's the "Human-Made" part of Jinzouningen that makes 17 and 18 weird, since it implies they're artificially made by Gero, in the "Didn't exist before he made them" sense. It shouldn't really be the term used for them if they were human before. But that's probably a consequence of the editing and having the arc/saga re-written twice.

Edit: For what it's worth, I'm not a naive speaker, just someone who knows enough Japanese to read some manga.

SomeWarlock on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    We already pretended that that fictional media never happened, why are we doing it again

Inbetween Z and Super I think

Wait what? I thought it was after super?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 1
    The new mysterious villain, responsible for turning the main cast of the series into children, is seen in the trailer watching Goku's battle with Majin Buu, meaning that the new anime will take place after Dragon Ball Z's final battle (but not after its actual ending, which takes place ten years later).

This is my understanding when it was first announced at least, especially since Super still has a bunch of stories that are as yet unadapted.

EDIT: Plus there aren't any Super characters as far as I know in Daima. It seems to be a back to basics effort, even Korrin is in there and you never see him anymore.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

The closer translation I always saw was "artificial human", which kinda fits both androids and cyborgs.

Anyway the confusion about cyborgs and androids set up a brilliant punchline in DBZA
    Cell: *Attempting and failing to absorb 16* What are you made of, pure metal?!
    16: Affirmative. I am Android 16.
    Cell: Oh. Errors have been made.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    also Goku's bafflement when Krillin tells him about having a kid with 18.

• Options
    goku still doesn't understand where babies come from after having 2 kids

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Goku thinks sex is a kind of martial arts training regimen

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i always took it more that 17 and 18 are androids in the RUR, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep kinda way

they're all biological tissue but still artificial

AFAIK the only real sci-fi part of them is that gero invented some kind of infinite energy generator that they can tap into. if you go back to when they first show up, they're powerful, but the main thing is that they don't get tired. Vegeta starts off on even footing with 18 and she only gets the upper hand because he slowly loses stamina during the fight and she doesn't

the infinite energy whatsits are also the reason cell needs to absorb them

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2

Android is the correct translation for the term used in the manga though.

The Japanese term for all the androids(including 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20) is "人造人間"(Jinzouningen) which means Android or or more literally, "Artificial Human". The equivalent term for Cyborg would be "改造人間"(Kaizouningen) or "Modified Human", but that's not used.

There's also other things implying they're mechanical, such as they explicitly don't have a Ki signature and can't be detected by sensing Ki which implies they're not alive/organic as all living things have Ki.(Remember that Ki literally means "Life Force" or "Spirit").

It's just all sorts of weird, but the whole Android/Cell saga is a huge mess(largely caused by editorial interference) that just happens to have some really good moments that allows people to overlook the problems.

DID SOMEONE SAY KAIZONINGEN???!!!!

nyv75ppxuuqs.jpeg

DID SOMEONE SAY JINZONINGEN?!!!

89p7y3kmi68q.jpeg
    Clearly 17 and 18 should utilize the power of Wind to achieve their mighty strength.

rhw0stna5ncy.jpeg
    obm7f9tt7mch.jpeg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    The new mysterious villain, responsible for turning the main cast of the series into children, is seen in the trailer watching Goku's battle with Majin Buu, meaning that the new anime will take place after Dragon Ball Z's final battle (but not after its actual ending, which takes place ten years later).

This is my understanding when it was first announced at least, especially since Super still has a bunch of stories that are as yet unadapted.

EDIT: Plus there aren't any Super characters as far as I know in Daima. It seems to be a back to basics effort, even Korrin is in there and you never see him anymore.

None of Super was adapted after the Frieza arc. It is the source material for the vast majority of the run.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2
    I don’t wanna pull a woody woodpecker hate tweet but who the hell is a popeye fan
    Please don't disrespect the OG Shounen anime protagonist

There's a video in this tweet but twitter embeds are still broken

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    I don’t wanna pull a woody woodpecker hate tweet but who the hell is a popeye fan
    Please don't disrespect the OG Shounen anime protagonist

bkoe157hvhai.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Vaguely unnerved at Popeyes having the torso shape of a Mamoru Nagano-designed mech but oddly works

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2
    that is fairly on-model if you translated him into toriyama muscle definition mode

god they really are two of a kind, gag comic protagonists who also fight

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The live action Popeye movie starring Robin Williams had the best "seeing red" gag in film.

• Options
    Rest in peace, Toriyama, and thank you for all the adventures.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Goodnight, Akira Toriyama. I really liked all the stuff you made.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Can't believe he died and was buried before the world even knew a thing. Vegeta inspired me to work out in my teen years and get in shape, and which of us didn't dream of having transforming gold hair. Such a shame at a relatively young age, still had many years to give us.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am so completely happy that they waited to announce this and permit that family to host whatever end rites they wanted before bringing it public.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I am so completely happy that they waited to announce this and permit that family to host whatever end rites they wanted before bringing it public.

Yeah, I really appreciate them doing that, and then the very blunt he'd want tranquility, do not do XYZ stuff. Good on them, his family needs time and space to grieve and heal

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    RIP. What a legend.

I grew up watching DBZ but only sporadically kept up with the series since.

That said, my favorite Dragonball "thing" is the finale of Dragonball Super. Specifically watching the various crowd reaction videos of the final fight from the large viewing parties.

It's easy to be swept up in the moment hearing a huge crowd of passionate people yell and cheer almost as if the tournament was real.