As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeon World] Glamjin’s Tower of Glory

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    “Cruel thing. Pitting you against me. This is not my home, no. This is the home of these people. They are dormant, perhaps worse, for whatever source of their vitality is lost to them now.”

He steps away, staring to the left of Holly.

“I was taken from the lowest step of Tian, stolen! Oh ho ho! How I gnashed and howled and fought!”, he dances from leg to leg, shaking his head wildly, “But he spoke of the mortal realm. Our mortal realm... In the end I made a pact to do his bidding if he promised no harm would come to that world.”

“I follow the Old Law, so I must keep my word. His last order was this: I must protect this metal orb with my life.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Holly sheathes her blade, visibly shaken after the shockwave. "We simply wish to open a door with the orb... what if you were to accompany us while we did so? The orb wouldn't technically leave your protection."

• Options
    OOC: I said there are no extra points for things, but if there were, you’d get one.

“I... hadn’t considered leaving this place. I am... it is my nature to guard... to...”, he mumbles something about law and divine duty, pacing a little, then sits stone still in contemplation. This takes some time.

Then he whispers conspiringly, “He didn’t stipulate in the order that I must remain here to guard the orb.”

Awkward silence falls as the beast paws at the dust.

“So far from the aura of the Platinum Emperor, god of gods, I can’t actually see. Well, only bright light, and darkest shadow. Guide me to this door. I will do my best to aid you.”

Hao-Gou joins the party!

• Options
    Hao-Gou joins the party!
    https://youtu.be/bgDntXF-P8U

Holly leads the lumbering hound back to the Lever Lounge, patting it's mane affectionately.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    With a bit of direction and some squeezing, Hao-Gou manages to shuffle into the circular room. With further help, he presses the orb into the pit with an oversized paw. Sparks flare off the drool covered orb, and the massive pooch lets out a ferocious bark.

Suddenly neon blue lines shoot off from the orb and over the door. It hums ominously. The orb swivels clockwise, then counter—Bran, it brings to mind picking a bank vault. Finally it falls from the door, and the humongous shishi is quick to snatch it up.

The door splits into segments. The pieces of stone float away gently. The way ahead is shrouded in thick fog. Magical fog, evidently, because it isn’t flowing into the Lever Lounge. Not even a bit. Through the fog is your only option.

What do you do?

OOC: It’s big enough for him to come with, just so you know. Without further orders he’s just gonna tag along.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ooc: Mwa ha ha hahahahahaha.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Bran Volgut | Human Thief | 17/21 HP | Damage d8

Bran sighs inwardly. This is just never not going to be weird, is it? Back home, the strangest things you'd encounter were stories of fables long dead. Even so-called "mages" were usually snake-oil salesmen at best, and straight-up con-men at worst. A bit of flash paper and some theatrics, and you'd see the rubes falling all over themselves.

And now, some undefinable distance from the comfort of his alleys and shadows, thrown into a puzzle created by real magic, Bran's resolve sets in a way that it's never had to before.

The only way forward is through.

"I'll go first. I don't expect it will be pleasant, nor safe. But I'm light on my feet, and have decent reflexes. Wait for a five count, then follow me in."

Bran draws his short sword, the torch still burning in his off-hand, and with a swift few steps attempts to pass through the fog door.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    OOC: Busy day! I’ll post the next area at 1700 GMT.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Bran! Roll to Defy Danger!
    When you act despite an imminent threat or suffer a calamity, say how you deal with it and roll. If you do it…

…by powering through, +Str
    …by getting out of the way or acting fast, +Dex
    …by enduring, +Con
    …with quick thinking, +Int
    …through mental fortitude, +Wis
    …using charm and social grace, +Cha
    On a 10+, you do what you set out to, the threat doesn’t come to bear. On a 7–9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: The GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RqysaS1Qthc

The fog door leads to no more than a foot of purple carpeted stone, then a big drop! You’re falling Bran!

This massive area is built of stone, utterly in ruins and looks to be sinking into the dark water below!

You’re getting used to the impossible, but is that... another building inside this humongous tower?

Angry bells are tolling—but for whom do they toll?

The Sinking Castle
    n4li6r3gxdbs.jpeg

OOC: There’s way more happening in here than I’ve yet to say, but Bran hasn’t had time to take anything in. Let’s see where they land and how they fair first!

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options

The air escapes Bran's lungs involuntarily in a sharp yelp, and suddenly he's in freefall. He winces, hoping the ground isn't too far below, and begins to tuck into a roll...

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for DEFY DANGER (DEX)

[OOC: That music is choice. Some of my favorite! *chef's kiss*]

DEFY DANGER (DEX):
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=5, 2]

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    You manage to spread your weight with a roll and land mostly on your feet by slamming into a rickety guardrail. You get your breath back just in time to see a demonic thing with wings race by you and rip into something else, something stood on two legs yet taller than any man!

The whole place is in open combat! One set of monsters verses another!
    rd2k6mn1tclb.jpeg
    nw9k9yb3tup3.jpeg

You feel a great gust of wind as another demon lands nearby. This one is looking at you!

tdpchpwij4ei.jpeg

It’s about this time you realise your sword is on the walkway below you.

• Options

"Shitshitshitshitshitshit!" Bran reflexively shoulder-rolls over the guardrail, hoping to land on the walkway below and near enough his sword to grab it, or at the very least to get away from that thing.

The thought crosses his mind that he now has no space or time to warn his compatriots, and spares a breath hoping they hear the raucous melee before tumbling headlong through that fog door...

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Hearing the yelp, Pomme breaks out of their troubled reverie. Mousefolk do not leave a companion to danger. Well. Some mousefolk might, but not THIS one. Pomme moves into the fog carefully with Fleur, seeking to help Bran but not fall victim to the same danger.

Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Discern Realities (WIS)

Discern Realities (WIS):
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=2, 5]

• Options
    edited January 2019
    As you dive over the railing you crack heads with another flying demon, and together you tumble to the lower walkway. The demon’s momentum ricochets it away from you with a guttural scream. It turns back to you and grasps at the carpet for purchase. Before it can right itself it is silenced by a pack of ravenous fish-men.
    71ybfosa5gzd.jpeg

One is already climbing over its brethren to get to you.

Bran, roll +STR on this move what I have just made up.
    On a 10+, choose 2.
    On a 7-9, choose 1.
    - You are not prone.
    - You get your sword.
    - You avoid further harm.

@Wassermelone
    Please choose 3 questions from the list.
    When you closely study a situation or person, roll+Wis.
    ✴On a 10+, ask the GM 3 questions from the list below.
    ✴On a 7–9, ask 1.

Either way, take +1 forward when acting on the answers.

What happened here recently?
    What is about to happen?
    What should I be on the lookout for?
    What here is useful or valuable to me?
    Who’s really in control here?
    What here is not what it appears to be?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Pomme, you step out onto the crumbling stone, Fleur gripping your collar to keep you from falling. You can land that jump easily. You’ve jumped from higher for fun as a child.

You can be heard from the other side of the fog door, but noise from any further away is very quiet indeed.

• Options
    What here is not what it appears to be?
    What should I be on the lookout for?
    What happened here recently?

• Options
    You see a cathedral off in the distance. It is not holy, nor is it a place of worship. Though it must be from another world or conjured from nothing, you’re sure the bells are out of time. Like they’re all being rung at random and as often as the bell ringers can do it.

A way to stop this brawl, perhaps—at least for your sakes. Besides that better weaponry is in order. Hm... Perhaps you would have made a good field commander.

You see that candles are lit on stands along the walkways, shattered furniture and broken wine bottles litter the area. This place was in active use by at least one person, if not a whole gathering, within this day.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for SHIT JUST GOT REAL (STR)

[Yuuup.]

SHIT JUST GOT REAL (STR):
    2d6+1 6 [2d6=3, 2]

Nips on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    As you scramble for your short sword a slavering fishman clamps down on your leg and pulls you away. You’re on your back, but still have your torch in hand.

You take 4 damage.

What do you do?

Geth roll 1d6 for damage.

damage:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    "What? What'sss happening?" Gisard hurriedly waddles through the fog gate after Pomme.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    [OOC: two questions: how amenable would Hao-Gou be to being ridden into battle? If yes, could more than one of us ride them?]

• Options
    Bran Volgut | Human Thief | 14/21 HP | Damage d8

Bran acts on reflex, and in attempting to break free from the grasp of the fishman jabs the burning torch toward its face.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Gisard, you walk directly off and fall to the highest walkway. Roll to Defy Danger!

Pomme did turn to warn you, but your reflexes are anything but cat-like. Perhaps because you’ve never seen a cat.

OOC: Without some decent riding gear right now only one of you can ride. Go for it! Ride that blind dog!

~New Rule~
    When you ride Hao-Gou’s back add +2 to your damage. On any failed roll made whilst riding Hao-Gou the GM chooses one, along with any other consequences:
    - You go the wrong way.
    - You’re too slow.
    - Hao-Gou has other ideas.

When you’re on his back he just becomes an extension of your character, it’s easier that way.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The fishman hisses, letting go of your leg Bran. A couple of teeth remain stuck in the wound. You’re hobbling for the rest of this fight, no more leaps of faith.

You grasp your sword and kick your way backwards. It’s you against this fishman—Hack and Slash street thief!
    When you attack an enemy in melee, roll+Str.
    ✴On a 10+, you deal your damage to the enemy and avoid their attack. At your option, you may choose to do +1d6 damage but expose yourself to the enemy’s attack.
    ✴On a 7–9, you deal your damage to the enemy and the enemy makes an attack against you.

OOC: I don’t mind saying every monster here has 6 HP, so if you roll a 6 on damage you can either edit or double post to describe how you slay them when you know they’re at 0 HP.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Bran Volgut | Human Thief | 14/21 HP | Damage d8

Wounded and backed into a space he's unfamiliar with, Bran lashes out. He's no expert swordsman, but he knows how to put the pointy end into fleshy bits.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for HACK AND SLASH (STR)

[Oooof.]

HACK AND SLASH (STR):
    2d6+1 5 [2d6=3, 1]

Nips on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    As you prepare to fight back the fishman is bulldozed by two others, and a fourth fishman feverishly claws over the pile to get to you. After unleashing a triumphant croak it begins to bash your face in.

You take 3 damage.
    Geth roll 1d6 for damage

Until you are rescued you are stuck under that fishman.

For everyone else, there are two bat demons on the highest walkway. Looking down from there you see four fishmen. Three are clumsily getting back up and one is pulverising Bran.

Besides that the place is crawling with both, and they’re ripping each other to pieces.

damage:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Pomme's mouth opens in mute shock as Gisard tumbles past. Turning back again towards the last remaining ... person(?), Pomme exclaims to Holly, 'Hole in the floor here, be careful! Others fell, going down!'

Pomme looks down into the pit, feeling Fleur's comforting presence and jumps.

• Options
    Gisard, you walk directly off and fall to the highest walkway. Roll to Defy Danger!

Pomme did turn to warn you, but your reflexes are anything but cat-like. Perhaps because you’ve never seen a cat.

OOC: Without some decent riding gear right now only one of you can ride. Go for it! Ride that blind dog!

~New Rule~
    When you ride Hao-Gou’s back add +2 to your damage. On any failed roll made whilst riding Hao-Gou the GM chooses one, along with any other consequences:
    - You go the wrong way.
    - You’re too slow.
    - Hao-Gou has other ideas.

When you’re on his back he just becomes an extension of your character, it’s easier that way.

Gisard's world does have mammals and humans and such, there's just not many humans on the continent the Jormungand Empire is on. An occasional trader or adventurer. He knows what a cat is! More or less. In the medieval bestiary sense of "knowing what an animal is" where it's like a wikipedia article that needs a lot more citations.

In any case, yes Gisard is about as nimble as you would expect a bipedal komodo dragon in a robe to be. "Whoopsss." He trips over Pomme. Hopefully his thick hide and bulk will protect him from the fall.

Geth, roll 2D6+1 for Defy Danger (Constitution)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    wait I did the syntax wrong
    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Defy Danger (con)

Geth is a stickler for capitalization I guess

Defy Danger (con):
    2d6+1 9 [2d6=5, 3]

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    You land heroically Pomme, just like the cover of one of those patriotic books on military history. Gisard lands on the railing with a thud.

Gisard, you’re okay, little winded. You carry -1 forward to any roll that’s for something physical.

The bat demons shriek at you both, then launch into the air. They are going to divebomb you in 5, 4, 3, 2...

What do you do?

OOC: I see! I thus amend my comment, indeed, your reflexes are not like the cat of which you do know of, but are instead much slower, as you say.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Hearing the warning and the sounds of battle, Holly mounts the giant stone dog and brandishes her rapier "Onward, brave steed" and leaps into the fray.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Defy Danger (Dex)

Defy Danger (Dex):
    2d6+1 5 [2d6=2, 2]

• Options
    Shishi, you know, divine guardian lion-dogs, are heavy. Always a school day, you think, good to know.

Filled with new purpose, Hao-Gou can’t help but bound with all his might. You thunder over Gisard’s head and crash onto the lower walkway, shattering the railings. The big beast spins around, nearly falls off, and ends up clinging to the cracked stone with three of his paws.

The shockwave blew the fishman off Bran. Bran, you are, more or perhaps much less, ready to go.

Huge cracks are forming on the lower walkway.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Holly, roll +CHA to inspire your steed.
    On a 10+, he’ll climb back up and you can deal your damage to a fishman. Describe how you attack together.
    On a 7-9, he’ll get back up slowly.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    "Bleugh!" Gisard hauls himself off the railing and flops over prone on the walkway, only to see the two bat demons hovering above them in the light of his staff's glow, about to strike. He takes a breath, and his throat seems to be illuminated internally for a moment before he opens his jaw and exhales a cone of orange and blue Dragonfire at the creatures.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Cast a Spell (+2 for int, -1 for being winded which seems relevant to how I picture this spell being cast)

Cast a Spell (+2 for int, -1 for being winded which seems relevant to how I picture this spell being cast):
    2d6+1 10 [2d6=4, 5]

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Geth roll 1d4+1 for Dragonfire damage

OOC: cats are those things with 6 legs, bat wings and a gaze that petrifies, right?

Dragonfire damage:
    1d4+1 2 [1d4=1]

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    "You're heavy? Why, I feel light as a feather!" She clacks. It is... poor advice.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Inspiring The Steed

Inspiring The Steed:
    2d6+1 8 [2d6=3, 4]

Grog on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    One of them takes the brunt of it, square in the chest. It’s toppled! It careens over the side and you hear a loud splash. The other doubles back and circles far above your reach.

OOC:
    Bat demon A = 4/6 HP
    Bat demon B = 5/6 HP

Since it was a good roll I’ve knocked 1 HP off the other guy.

Edit: Added the +level in damage.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    OOC: this is all fucking rad by the way

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    “哎喲!”, the beast yelps.

Hao-Gou pulls himself back up.

“Oh ho ho! Where to, mortal?”

OOC: Thanks! It’s mostly you guys making it so.

So, just some stuff:
    1. You can’t really get anywhere from those walkways.
    2. There might be people (to stretch the word) here too, yet to make an appearance.
    3. Keep fighting because fighting is fun!
    4. Do you think you can take them all on in the long run?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    "Onward! To Victory!" Emboldened by the lizard's fireworks, Holly charges the fish creature bedevilling Bran.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Arcane Bladework vs Fishperson

- today we learn that Holly's use of exclamation marks will always result in a miss

Arcane Bladework vs Fishperson:
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=1, 3]

Grog on