As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GameStop "Testing" $10 Pre-Orders on Metroid Prime 3

QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I am an employee at GameStop.
And while I know how much the internet hates GameStop, I have some more bad news for you.

A few days ago we got an email saying that we would be "testing" $10 pre-orders for a few games that just got added to our system, such as Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Strikers Charged, 2 Sing Star games, and PaRappa for PSP. This doubles the normal amount that we require you to pay to pre-order a game. It's supposedly an effort to increase reservation pick-ups. Since customers are forced to invest so much money into a game now, it might make them pick it up. But there are always those customers who forget to pick up their games, and GameStop understands that.

Everyone that knows GameStop knows that this isn't just a testing period. This is the beta for their next money-hungry scheme. This will likely stick around.

It doesn't even make sense to start this off with 2 Wii games which run at 50 bucks, and another that is a PSP game that runs at 40 bucks. That's having to pay off 1/5th of the price and 1/4th of the price, just to guarantee you are able to buy the game from us. They should have at least started it with a 360 or PS3 game, where the increased price isn't so significant.

It also will sort of be hurting us as employees, trying to spread the word about great upcoming games, and then asking for double digits just to pre-order a copy. "Just $5 down" was the perfect pitch to get customers to buy good games. "Oh yeah, GameStop is actually testing this new pre-order system, and the reservation down payment double to a minimum of $10" isn't going to get people to pre-order Metroid Prime 3.

I'm not posting this to bitch about being an employee and not getting reservations, I'm posting this to let you know what your next visit to GameStop might be like.

Is this going to stop you from pre-ordering games, or do you think this is a valid idea?

Qorzm on

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to take this out on your personally and murder your entire family.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Who cares?

I only clicked on this thread because I thought there was something going on with Corruption's release date.

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I usually put down the minimum and pay off the rest of it a couple weeks before the game actually comes out...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have never ever preordered a game. It's never been an attractive option for me.

I will order something online, and happily pay in full, because it will be shipped to me to arrive the day it comes out. I dunno, it just seems to me like part of the reason people pay more in B&M stores over online retailers is because you should be able to walk in, hand over cash, take game.

LewieP on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Preorders have always been lame anyway*. Maybe now some of you sheeple will wake up and smell the money grubbing :P

*PLease note that preorders cease to be lame when cool shit is given away for free. I did get the OOT/Master Quest disk.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't see the difference, you're either going to pay for the whole game eventually, ask for your money back, or move the payment to a different upcoming game. I mean I'd be pissed if it was $20 or something, but $10 just doesn't seem any different from $5 to me.

bruin on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't even pre-order games unless there's some kind of bonus, and even then, I usually do it online where I have to pay in full anyway.

It still sucks, but it doesn't affect me.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't see how this would stop me from preordering since I'll have to pay the full price anyway when I pick up the game. I guess this might matter if I was a little kid or someone who doesn't have a whole lot of money, but if that were the case I probably wouldn't be preordering a lot of games.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Qorzm wrote: »

It doesn't even make sense to start this off with 2 Wii games which run at 50 bucks, and another that is a PSP game that runs at 40 bucks. That's having to pay off 1/5th of the price and 1/4th of the price, just to guarantee you are able to buy the game from us. They should have at least started it with a 360 or PS3 game, where the increased price isn't so significant.

Actually, the PSP game (Parapper the Rapper i think) is only $30, so you're paying off 1/3

ronzo on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Whenever I preorder something I always come to pick it up so this doesn't affect me in the slightest.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hadn't realized that people not picking up their preordered games was a really big issue for Gamestop. During my brief stint as an employee, I never heard that mentioned as a problem (though this can't be indicative of corporate priorities).

How often do games that get preordered and not purchased sit on the shelf and never sell? I guess if it's at least one out of ten times, then that ends up being lost money for the company, and if they increase the preorder price to $10, it would have to happen more than (about) one out of five times to end up being lost money for the company.

I'd be curious to hear some real numbers, if anyone has access.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not too worried about there not being enough MP3 copies to go around anyways...maybe this would be a mild annoyance if it was something I felt I needed to preorder in order to get.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I thought it was ten dollars down for preorders in the first place. :?

At least, I could swear that's what I paid for two Wii preorder titles each for launch at TRU.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    I hadn't realized that people not picking up their preordered games was a really big issue for Gamestop. During my brief stint as an employee, I never heard that mentioned as a problem (though this can't be indicative of corporate priorities).

How often do games that get preordered and not purchased sit on the shelf and never sell? I guess if it's at least one out of ten times, then that ends up being lost money for the company, and if they increase the preorder price to $10, it would have to happen more than (about) one out of five times to end up being lost money for the company.

It's not a problem. They love that shit. It's a cleverly worded explanation that hides the fact that they LIKE being able to keep the money that people neglect to pick up from us.

We get the money down for the game, AND we get to sell the copy they had on hold after 48 hours.

Qorzm on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I thought it was ten dollars down for preorders in the first place. :?

At least, I could swear that's what I paid for two Wii preorder titles each for launch at TRU.

TRU =/ Gamestop

bruin on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i really dont understand preordering games from the customer's perspective, unless its a tiny run/niche game and you really want to guarantee a copy as early as possible and i guess youre unable to order things online for whatever reason.

i would imagine this cutting down the number of impulse preorders by a very large percentage. sucks for the employees who are going to get bitched out constantly for not pushing preorders hard enough, i guess.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ya this isn't going to fly well. I don't think the average consumer will go for this.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

It's not a problem. They love that shit. It's a cleverly worded explanation that hides the fact that they LIKE being able to keep the money that people neglect to pick up from us.

Okay, that's what I had always assumed--that unpurchased preorders mean hella free money for the company.

Captain K on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The fuck if I'm ever giving GameStop an interest free loan for the privilege of buying something from them.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That's not quite how it works afaik.

They know that X amount of people won't pick up preorders, so, they keep back enough to satisfy the total number of preorders minus X, with some margin of error. None collected preorders are just free money for them

Edit: Beat'd

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Okay, that's what I had always assumed--that unpurchased preorders mean hella free money for the company.

Yep, and since this is going to be widely in effect, they are going to double their profits.

Qorzm on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ya this isn't going to fly well. I don't think the average consumer will go for this.

Yeah, I'm with you. I think the fact that preordering is suddenly costs double-digit dollars will definitely make it harder to convince Joe Average to make an impulse preorder. $10 is only $5 more than $5, but it's two digits. It's much more imposing, psychologically. :P

And I definitely agree--this sucks for the register monkeys more than anyone. They'll be expected to bring in just as many preorders as before.

Captain K on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    well, that sucks.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The fuck if I'm ever giving GameStop an interest free loan for the privilege of buying something from them.

That's unreasonable. You get a solid two days to pick up your game (and it could be an extremely popular game, like Zelda or Halo), and we cannot sell that product. To encourage you to pick up what you reserved and not waste our time, you pay a fee (that goes toward the game you reserved).

Try to understand it from a money standpoint. You reserving it means we can't sell it to anybody but you for about two days (possibly even three). Considering the high demand for many of the games people reserve, it's only fair that you pay us a small part in advance.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Let's try not to derail this topic instantly into the same old debate about whether preorders are stupid or not.

Captain K on
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I only preorder when I save money, as I did with Forza 2 at $49.99 (from Amazon; no longer available).

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

That's unreasonable. You get a solid two days to pick up your game (and it could be an extremely popular game, like Zelda or Halo), and we cannot sell that product. To encourage you to pick up what you reserved and not waste our time, you pay a fee (that goes toward the game you reserved).

Try to understand it from a money standpoint. You reserving it means we can't sell it to anybody but you for about two days (possibly even three). Considering the high demand for many of the games people reserve, it's only fair that you pay us a small part in advance.
    im going to follow the capn's decree, but what you just said isn't any more reasonable than what zero did, to be honest.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Consider the months upon months GameStop has to invest my 10 dollars and turn it into many more dollars before they ever have to pony up. And for what? So I get a "guaranteed" copy of a game that I could probably waltz into any competitor's store and pick up?

Blowing wads of cash on the latest video games is pretty silly to begin with if you think about it, but I'm not about to be that stupid with my money.

EDIT: To be fair, I was typing this while Cap'n posted his decree above.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Please, just let that debate end. Or start another thread and have it there.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The preorder system is actually really good. I preordered games all the time before I got employed. $5 (10 soon) that goes TOWARDS the final price of the game gets us to hold it for you for 2 days, call you up a day before, letting you know that the game you reserved will soon arrive. And lots of times you get awesome preorder bonuses, like demos that let you try out the game. Or that awesome Castlevania collector's set that recently came out. And they are always refundable.

Sorry for the pitch. It's actually a good service, except not for $10.

Qorzm on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Actually, if Qorzm's fine with it too, then go ahead and debate all you want. :P

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Actually, if Qorzm's fine with it too, then go ahead and debate all you want. :P

Should we really debate? doing so has both pro's and cons...

LewieP on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    when you buy a popular game from circuit city of target or wherever on launch day they dont bitch you out for not preordering it

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I realize we are a corrupt, money hungry company, but we do do some things right.

Mainly pre-order policies as of a few days ago, and used game returns.

Everything else is pure bullshit.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm fine with it. I know both sides pretty well and would love to discuss this.

Qorzm on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

now i just cant agree with this at all.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Working at TRU, I don't forsee this being a problem for me.

No one shops at TRU for video games. I could easily take a copy of Guitar Hero II 360 off the shelf and buy it at the end of the day because no one knows we sell games, so no one bothered to check to see if we had it. That's what my coworker did, and he did the same for God of War II. I hope to do the same for the Legendary Edition of Halo 3, but just in case, I did drop the hefty preorder price at GameStop to guarantee my copy of the game when it comes out.

I hate corporate greed. I have friends who work at GameStop, but unless they have some particularly rare games (the one by my house has a copy of Disgaea first print just sitting there for $39.99 and no one has picked it up yet), I rarely buy from them. I only buy from my store because I get a discount, otherwise I think all of my game shopping would happen online.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007

In the past, I've done it until blue in the face. I think it's stupid, but there's no convincing Shadowfire and other loyal employees that it's not awesome. I don't really see the point in doing it again, but hey. It's not my thread.

shit dudes, I'm just here to make sure nobody posts goatse or something

Captain K on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

now its not games with high demand that people need to worry about reserving, as the big name titles like zeldas and halo's etc. are generally so well stocked at bigger stores like bestbuy you never have to worry about them being sold out, its the games with very little demand like Odin Sphere, steambot chronicles or metal saga that people need to preorder, simply because gamestops tend to be the only ones that stock them in retail.

edit: and generally up here in canada we get fucked on preorder bonuses too, so no incentive there =(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sometimes there are games that you cannot get in the average B&M store and the sites you wish to order it from are either non-existent or are already sold out. This happens, folks. Especially with stuff by smaller companies.

EDIT: Oooh, Steambot Chronicles... I want to make a thread about that game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

In the past, I've done it until blue in the face. I think it's stupid, but there's no convincing Shadowfire and other loyal employees that it's not awesome. I don't really see the point in doing it again, but hey. It's not my thread.

shit dudes, I'm just here to make sure nobody posts goatse or something

;-) I was making a vaguely amusing play on words. Debating about whether or not to debate.

LewieP on