Options

[Resident Evil 2]: Suffer like G did?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Assuming this is indicative of how he'll behave for the rest of your time in the station, is this a relief or a disappointment

Well, (spoilers now that I am in the sewers)
    considering that I guess that's it for him after getting his whole middle ripped out
    yeah I'm a little disappointed

there's always Leon B I guess
    Well
    Normally Mr. X follows Leon more but either way once Mr. X is introduced he normally you most of the time. (For certain sections of the game.) Like you can occasionally give him the slip and there are both safe zones and areas he just doesn't appear in but for the chunk of the game he's in he's usually never too far away.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Based on my personal experience, Mr X. does seem to be much less aggressive about directly pursuing you on assisted difficulty. It seems much easier to lose him.

Also, Kotaku reports on how Chinese online retailers skirt the country's bans on violent games...

...Including selling RE2 as "First Day of Work at the Police Station: Remake Version".

tf56904s9jta.png

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Assuming this is indicative of how he'll behave for the rest of your time in the station, is this a relief or a disappointment

considering that I guess that's it for him after getting his whole middle ripped out

Aw heck, I'm sorry, that's a bummer! Maybe he both moves less and has reduced hearing range on Assisted, so you managed to get him effectively isolated?

Well, for what it's worth: you're in for some real shit going down in your 2nd run

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Aw heck, I'm sorry, that's a bummer! Maybe he both moves less and has reduced hearing range on Assisted, so you managed to get him effectively isolated?

Well, for what it's worth: you're in for some real shit going down in your 2nd run

After the Sherry section but before I headed out through the garage, I walked back out onto the chief's balcony verrrry slowly and carefully, and all of a sudden X jumped up the ladder from the main roof and bum rushed my ass back to the office, so I got a little taste of the fear, at least

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The sherry section is definitely my least favorite part, since I hate stealth sections and also that man got off way too light.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I mostly don't like the Sherry section because it's a whole bunch of do-nothing waiting around during a speed run.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Sherry's section is a perfect example of "This is cool the first time but now it's just kind of tedious."

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Perfect time to shout out donations.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Made the decision to use my second save at the beginning of the sewers. Turns out that was a good call - I managed to get smacked by the container.

e: oh wow, in the second attempt, Birkin grabbed me (never happened before). TIL if you try to conserve your defense item (i.e. infiniknife), he throws you down the abyss.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I am so close to my Leon S rank but that fucker Birkin will not die.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I'm not looking forward to my Leon hardcore run at all. There is one specific room where I'd definitely prefer his shotgun to Claire's grenade launcher, but otherwise...brrr.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I find Claire's grenade launcher absolutely useless on Hardcore. It does nothing to X, takes like 8 shells to stop him. Maybe his health is just amped up more on Hardcore but Leon's shotgun was much better at dropping him quick.

• Options
    Solution: never waste ammo on Mr X!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    There is no reason to ever fire a single shot at x

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I find Claire's grenade launcher absolutely useless on Hardcore. It does nothing to X, takes like 8 shells to stop him. Maybe his health is just amped up more on Hardcore but Leon's shotgun was much better at dropping him quick.

You can't kill him and any delay isnt any longer than a flash grenade. Its never worth it to waste ammo on X

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I love this game. Said it in another thread but I love how even though I’m in the last section, the way zombies can come into rooms you weren’t expecting or frustrate your efforts in multiple ways still get me so panicked that I’ll waste ammo I know I shouldn’t waste just to blow their heads off.

It is very good at making the survival part of survival horror an active difficult choice, it makes you feel like a person who is in danger rather than that layer of abstraction of “I’m playing a video game and I know I need to play this optimally”

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

Except to knock his hat off

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Except to knock his hat off

There is no reason to ever fire more than a single shot at X.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Well OK it did nothing to Birkin 1 either, took like 25 shots. Maybe it'd be the same with the shotgun on Leon hardcore but god that was a hard fight.

• Options
    Birkin 1 is definitely meant to chow down on all your ammo.

• Options
    That's why you knife him at >120fps

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Pretty sure my computer is not good enough anymore to get 120 fps on any game release in the past year, unfortunately.

Might be time to upgrade

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I find the grenade launcher to be a bit of a trap against Birkin, it staggers him no matter where you hit him so it's great for making distance and for setting him up to get punished but the damage dealt is minimal, you have to directly hit an eyeball with the actual projectile to do any damage, much better to use a pistol

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Yeah I mainly use it to stun the boss or kill lickers, maybe light groups of zombies on fire (a certain sewer stairway says hello)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I have. She is
    the girl on his table, which I assume is the same lady (in the orphanage) in the remake, i.e. the "22 year old pig" in his hunting log.

I was looking for that and I never made the connection.....

Fuck that shit!

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Made the decision to use my second save at the beginning of the sewers. Turns out that was a good call - I managed to get smacked by the container.

e: oh wow, in the second attempt, Birkin grabbed me (never happened before). TIL if you try to conserve your defense item (i.e. infiniknife), he throws you down the abyss.

If you use your infinite knife (or a regular knife that doesn't break in the process) as a defensive item on a boss, then it should be laying in the center of the arena after the battle is over. I've confirmed this with both G1 and G2 so far.

I don't know what happens if you use multiple knives though, so that may cause earlier ones to get overwritten.

The only place I've found that I could permanently lose my infinite knife was...(Leon RPD spoilers)
    If I used the knife to escape from a zombie in the jail cell area and then left without retrieving it.

After Ada magically makes a SWAT Van appear out of nowhere in a locked garage, you can no longer return to the jail cell area for some dumb reason, so bye-bye knife (unless they accounted for that and have it laying on the ground somewhere that I didn't see it).

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I am so close to my Leon S rank but that fucker Birkin will not die.

Which Birkin? I can share my boss strategies from my S+ runs

G1

Do not aim for his head or his eye with the Shotgun. Do full body shots. While his body only takes 80% damage, aiming for his head (100% damage) causes pellets to miss and do no damage, aiming for his eye (100% damage) causes pellets to hit his arm doing just 50% damage. Knifing him works well, even on consoles. Just try to stand behind his big eye and knife him. Bring multiple knives so if he grabs you you can auto defend and keep going.

G2

G2 has 24,000 HP. On standard the crane does around 13,000HP of damage on Hardcore it does around 6-7k damage according to the person who figured out HP totals and weapon damage levels. https://pastebin.com/qpNDasmU So first of all after you get knocked back and he starts the ceiling attack there is a safe spot on the wall with the exit door. When looking at that you'll see some barrels and i think a little yellow box on the wall near them, hug the left side of those barrels next to that box and he won't be able to hit you. Shoot his arms when they come through the ceiling so he doesn't waste time doing 5 attacks and moves to the door after 1 or 2. You can take a couple of shots at him after you run past him at the door as well if you'd like.

It takes 1k damage to make him stop attacking from the ceiling and it takes around 4k of damage to get him stunned for a few seconds to use the crane. So if he does less than 5 attacks from the ceiling you know you have him at 23,000. When he kneels down and stops attacking you've got him down to 17,000. The knife apparently does a ton of damage to a stunned G2 so I try to keep him near the middle of the platform if slightly close to the panel and stun him, hit the button and then knife him like crazy before moving out of the way of the cane. The first crane swing will bring him to at least 11,000 so its just a matter of doing some damage to him while he's down and then the second crane attack will finish him off. He doesn't have to be "down" for the crane hit to count so bring and keep Flash Grenades for when the crane is on its way back around if he gets up before it hits him.

G3.

From that same data sheet.
    << G3 (Birkin 3) >> (15,000 HP)
    Eye HP: Leg = 250 / Back = 250 / Arm = 500
    Eye HP doubles after the first time they're popped
    Popping all 3 eyes will stun the boss and expose a chest eye
    attacking the chest eye will unstun the boss in less then 5 seconds.
    If you instead attack anywhere else, he'll stay stunned for 10 seconds.
    If you get behind him and slice from between the arms, you can do over 4,000 damage with a knife at 60fps
    At under 5K hp, birkin will get up if currently stunned, roar, turn red, then move to a side and rip the wall off. While in the wall ripping animation he will take damage but can not be reduced beyond 1 HP. as soon as the animation is over, he can be killed normally.
    DoT can NOT kill G3

Use the Lightning Hawk to bust the eyes.

While you can do 4k with the knife on consoles to a downed G3, if you're doing a Hardcore run then the games adaptive difficulty will always either be at Rank 8 or Rank 9. Meaning the damage you do is going to be multiplied by either .7 or .65. If you don't want to knife him then for Leon its best to just empty the Flamethrower right into his "eye heart" when he's down.

Leons final boss is just a timer. If you don't attack him at all except to stop the instant kill attack, it will take 3 minutes for the fight to end. Attacking the final boss will only shave time off of that down to 1.5 minutes. So you can literally just run around away from him only turning to shoot him to stop the kill move and you'll be fine. Because of this its great to stockpile all kinds of grenades and flash grenades to just stun and delay the boss to help wait out the timer.

• Options
    It might be a bit of a cheese strat for some, but I highly recommend getting the infinite knife before really attempting hardcore. It makes things so much easier, especially slashing zombies to get them up early, when they're otherwise positioned to ambush you at the worst possible time

• Options
    Okay no I do not like these things swimming around in the sewers no thank you sir

• Options
    Okay no I do not like these things swimming around in the sewers no thank you sir

I'm still not 100% sure how to deal with them other than 'waste ammo to kill them' which is probably going to be problematic in hardcore.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    can't you just completely avoid them/dodge their swing and just never fire a shot

if they do catch you a subweapon will at least get you out

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    G-adults can be baited into taking a swing at you or spawning offspring. Once they start doing that they're pretty easy to just run past.

If they're submerged you can plink them once with a handgun round and just run past them while they're still emerging.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Oh I guess one thing I didn't think about vis a vis Mr. X.
    @Grey Ghost
    What's your playstyle? Do you run a lot? Walk a lot? Do you mostly avoid zombies or shoot them?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Gundi wrote: »
    Grey Ghost
    What's your playstyle? Do you run a lot? Walk a lot? Do you mostly avoid zombies or shoot them?
    I was being pretty quiet, I generally walk, but I did shoot two zombies on the highest balcony in the main hall, outside the clock tower. several rounds each. I figured if nothing else that should've brought him

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost
    I was being pretty quiet, I generally walk, but I did shoot two zombies on the highest balcony in the main hall, outside the clock tower. several rounds each. I figured if nothing else that should've brought him
    It probably did, but if you capped them on your way to the clock tower and entered that room a short time later, he probably turned around. Mr X doesn't follow you into the clock tower since it's considered a 'critical puzzle room'

• Options
    Grey Ghost
    Then that might also have done it. If you stand still Mr. X is very unlikely to track you down. (He needs to randomly enter the room your in and have direct line of sight on you to detect you if you are standing perfectly still.) If you walk it's slightly more likely but still unlikely. If you run it (on normal) may take several minutes but he will find you. If you fire weapons (not counting silenced ones) he will book it immediately for your location and will probably enter the room in less than a minute. When he has not detected you he goes on patrol paths that I don't think anyone has totally figured out yet. There are like half a dozen rooms in the police station where he cannot go in nor detect you though.

Maybe on assisted it dramatically reduces his patrol pathing so he will only ever be likely to be nearby on the side of the station he originally appears in?

• Options
    Can confirm that if you stab G1 Birkin with multiple knives, they're all lying around after you beat him.
    I can at least confirm that it happens with two, so I'd guess that it works with three.
    My Hardcore G1 (console fps) strat:
    This only works for me sometimes, so I burn a save beforehand so I don't have to redo 20 minutes work.

Go in with at least two knives (I prefer three, so I take my infinity knife, the one Marvin gave me, and the one in the library), the grenade from the bottom of the stairs on the way to the boss, any flash grenades you have, and at least one heal.
    When the fight starts, just run up and start slashing. Once in a blue moon he misses his grab and you can do more damage, but either way he'll eventually grab you, so stab him.
    Then I toss the grenade, switch to another knife, and resume slashing. If you've got a third I'd say to repeat the process, but if you're on your last knife I'd play it safe to back off once he stands up, toss a flash, then go back in to slash him.

I couldn't find a pattern to tell me when he'd try to brain me with a pipe instead of grabbing me, but I heal if it happens once, and reload if it happens twice.

I managed to make that work almost every time (excluding the ones where I got cocky and failed to save beforehand).

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Leon A
    When you're going to unlock the cryo room for the herbicide and you've got the double licker obstacle... are you supposed to just grenade them? I see no solution other than to have grenades. Using the radio device on the panel seems to aggravate them. I ended up using Regular Grenades instead of Flashbangs but it still gave me the achievement for flashbanging them.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Leon A
    When you're going to unlock the cryo room for the herbicide and you've got the double licker obstacle... are you supposed to just grenade them? I see no solution other than to have grenades. Using the radio device on the panel seems to aggravate them. I ended up using Regular Grenades instead of Flashbangs but it still gave me the achievement for flashbanging them.

Yeah, grenades are a good option there.
    I guess you could also possibly just run throgh them into the cryo room, then quietly walk through afterwards, since they don't follow you through doors and lost interest in you, but I've never tried that.

Javen on
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Leon A
    Seriously, just walk. Unless you get close enough to touch them, they won't aggro.
    The real trap is the zombies who wake up, but that's easily solved by a shotgun applied directly to the head (or one grenade for them to share) while they're still asleep.
    They'll slowly head towards you when you turn the power on (they can smell you, I guess), but I found it pretty easy to just kite them around the table.