As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Man, I wish there was a solo mode so I can, at the very least, get good at actually shooting the guns. Cause, jesus, half the time I just get a single shot in before being murder like a pleb.

You can mess around in the training mode with all the guns as much as you want.

Just got my first chicken dinner with randoms, not as fun as a chicken dinner with friends but still a meal.

I am finding that what guns you find (other than the Mozambique) is far less important that what upgrades you find. Yeah, we all know peacekeeper with a purple choke is a beast, but if I find a purple light mag and barrel attachment I find that I am much better off an Alternator or R301.

Running a kitted out light gun vs stuff like the Peacekeeper is taking me back to counterstrike AK vs AWP fights. Shoulder peek to get them to waste a shot and then pounce on them, or take the corner hard, fast and wide with a slide so they whiff the shot and then push. It's fun stuff.

I’m glad to see you're enjoying the game. You seemed pretty down on it for the first day or so.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Second win. I'm surprised there's not a badge thing to just display straight up wins?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Won two games last night and got a few top 3 finishes.

I like it the most when I get people who are willing to aggressively chase kills with me.

One issue I see with campy teammates is that whenever we find a group they want to run away and that just gives the enemy team time to get really good flanks on us.

Like there is a difference between running away and controlling space I wish more folks knew the difference.

Sometimes you've just gotta pressure them into following you by taking the lead. Running away so rarely leads to a victory anyway, if they won't go with you then you're probably doomed regardless.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Second win. I'm surprised there's not a badge thing to just display straight up wins?

There is a tracker for winning kills and one for wins with full squad

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Man, I wish there was a solo mode so I can, at the very least, get good at actually shooting the guns. Cause, jesus, half the time I just get a single shot in before being murder like a pleb.

You can mess around in the training mode with all the guns as much as you want.

Just got my first chicken dinner with randoms, not as fun as a chicken dinner with friends but still a meal.

I am finding that what guns you find (other than the Mozambique) is far less important that what upgrades you find. Yeah, we all know peacekeeper with a purple choke is a beast, but if I find a purple light mag and barrel attachment I find that I am much better off an Alternator or R301.

Running a kitted out light gun vs stuff like the Peacekeeper is taking me back to counterstrike AK vs AWP fights. Shoulder peek to get them to waste a shot and then pounce on them, or take the corner hard, fast and wide with a slide so they whiff the shot and then push. It's fun stuff.

I’m glad to see you're enjoying the game. You seemed pretty down on it for the first day or so.

It’s quite grown on me. There is still a part of me that is sad that we have gone from Titanfall 1 to this, but i’ve largely come to terms with it.

My first few games were with randoms that left a really bad taste in my mouth between yolo solo drops, racism over comms, and the having teammates that were afraid of fights turning games into 15 minute long loot sessions with no action until one brief fire fight that ended it all.

Time has proven these early experiences to not be indicative of the actual game, thankfully. And playing aggressively with like minddd friends has been a rather good time.

• Options

There is a tracker for winning kills and one for wins with full squad

I'm only pugging though.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I'm going to need some new maps pretty quickly to avoid burnout.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I wish they would track knockdowns instead of kills, and/or include assists. The killcount e-peen gives you an incentive to finish off players on the ground even when it's not the smartest play. I confess I've gotten myself killed doing that, so I decided to take the kill tracker off my banner.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I finally got the achievement for wearing both a gold helmet and gold armor piece at the same time!

I scoured so many care packages and got so many Mastiffs instead of armor. I could even dual-wield them.

It's crazy how nobody goes for care packages. I'll find them unopened for minutes after they land, even when I know there were other squads nearby.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Played a few matches last night and got obliterated. My first two groups the guys never revived anyone even when there was ample time.
    3rd time I got murdered before I could even find a weapon.

Still, pretty fun so I'll keep practicing.

Added my name to the list of cool people :)

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Playin games on origin. Quantumturky if you want to join.

• Options
    I do not like that gold sniper rifle you get from care packages. Of course, I'm a terrible sniper.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    counterpoint: I love the gold sniper from the packages. dropped a medic with it today as they tried to supress from a roof

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I wish they would track knockdowns instead of kills, and/or include assists. The killcount e-peen gives you an incentive to finish off players on the ground even when it's not the smartest play. I confess I've gotten myself killed doing that, so I decided to take the kill tracker off my banner.

I agree to a degree, downed enemies can still tag you, body block with their shields, and can be picked up very quickly and safely by a Lifeline.

Finishing off downed players is a decent priority if you can do so safely.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    My problem at the moment is that some of the people I play with (while still complaining about not having a feel for weapons yet) dive into fights against enemy teams and then bitch about how long it takes to kill people.

That's the whole point of the armour system in this game.

I'll admit people are a bit bullet spongey but that's why you need to peel it off them first.

I tend to keep two guns for that, or an LMG can sort of do both.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Spitfire makes quick work of shielded enemies

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I wish I could tell people to mark enemies if they see them so your teammates actually know whose shooting at you and don't just have to guess.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Peacekeeper seems ridiculously strong, just rode it to a third win (well, that and a teammate that clocked nearly 2000 damage). Putting a digital threat sight on it makes you a terror at mid range encounters.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've played probably 50 or so games, still no wins, but a number of 2nd place finishes. I'm still just not all that great, and sometimes am surprised at my low damage numbers when I thought I hit enemies more than I apparently did.

Worst part of the game is dropping into an area and dying quickly because I couldn't find any guns. There should at least be a guaranteed gun spawn in supply bins if you don't have any gun equipped when you open them at least.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    eelektrik wrote: »
    I've played probably 50 or so games, still no wins, but a number of 2nd place finishes. I'm still just not all that great, and sometimes am surprised at my low damage numbers when I thought I hit enemies more than I apparently did.

Worst part of the game is dropping into an area and dying quickly because I couldn't find any guns. There should at least be a guaranteed gun spawn in supply bins if you don't have any gun equipped when you open them at least.

Sounds exploitable.

I suggest getting into the training map and trying the guns, pick some you like, pick some you hate.

And shields are effective, so pay attention to the colour shield the enemy has when you're fighting.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I wish I could tell people to mark enemies if they see them so your teammates actually know whose shooting at you and don't just have to guess.

You can do that with 'T' :P

But in all seriousness, a lot people still don't know 'F' is for enemy spotting. Middle mouse is too cumbersome, but that's all the tutorial tells you about. It's too easy to accidentally switch weapons.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular

I'm fairly certain if I knock down an enemy, and then a teamate finishes him off, I get the kill credit. So there should be no reason to try and kill someone that's knocked down just to try and get a point for you kill count because it wont count anyways unless you downed them in the first place.

Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    sgt rob wrote: »

I'm fairly certain if I knock down an enemy, and then a teamate finishes him off, I get the kill credit. So there should be no reason to try and kill someone that's knocked down just to try and get a point for you kill count because it wont count anyways unless you downed them in the first place.
    Well, if you lose the fight then the knockdowns don't count for anything.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    sgt rob wrote: »

The killing blow guy gets kill credit. I showed up late to a firefight the other day on a new character, but took the time to execute the knocked guy through his knockdown shield while my teammates were keeping the remainder of the squad pinned. I got +1 kill. I didn't do a lick of damage to the guy before he was downed.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Luckily it's nothing but epeen. I honestly would love to take the kill stat off all my characters, it just feels bad on the ones I haven't played yet to see that 0 or other low number.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Figgy wrote: »
    But in all seriousness, a lot people still don't know 'F' is for enemy spotting. Middle mouse is too cumbersome, but that's all the tutorial tells you about. It's too easy to accidentally switch weapons.

Double tapping the generic ping button sends an enemy ping. I've remapped my ping button to a thumb button. I've also remapped my 'Q' ability to 'F' and remapped quick swap weapons to its rightful place at 'Q'.

I haven't remapped 'Z' yet. I'm tempted to move it to '5'

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I think I want to try a team with Pathfinder and Caustic, so you know where to go and can get ahead of people to set up Caustic's traps in advance.

Maybe Gibraltar as the third for tankyness or Wraith to flank.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I'm happy with my Pathfinder stat and 200,000 distance traveled on grapple. Keep yer kills

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Luckily it's nothing but epeen. I honestly would love to take the kill stat off all my characters, it just feels bad on the ones I haven't played yet to see that 0 or other low number.
    You can do that.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    You can do that.

I have to unlock other trackers first! Which is just pack/rng dependent as far as I know. The only other tracker I have thus far is on bangalore who I don't really play.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    The trackers are super cheap, like 30 and 60 crafting materials

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Actually got a win today courtesy of a really good random Bangalore player... Now I can go back to observing my no games as a service games in 2019 goal...

maybe...

;)

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    Actually got a win today courtesy of a really good random Bangalore player... Now I can go back to observing my no games as a service games in 2019 goal...

maybe...

;)

This has been me with most BR games. Ive played about a nights worth of Fortnite, PubG, and Realm Royale each but once I got a win or stepped away, I didn't see a reason to continue playing or have the desire to.

This one however has kept me up hours later than I normally game, each time telling myself just one more game. I finally got a first place finish last night and then kept playing. My most memorable game from last night wasn't even the win, it was an almost win where I drug my team to top 3 after rezzing them both twice and respawning one of them, multiple multi team engagements, and multiple supply drop grabs. Losing that one hurt and I keep replaying it in my head but the intensity of it made it so much fun and led to me starting up yet another run.

Besides chasing the highs and fun the game offers, I like that the banner pieces are tied to playing the class and accomplishing feats with that class. Im spending all my time mastering Wraith, but I can't wait to expand out to the others that I've just dabbled in.

Long story short, I got a win last night and normally that would make me be done, but this game's fun is so much more than getting wins. At least to me.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    The trackers are super cheap, like 30 and 60 crafting materials

This...is a really good reminder, thanks!

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    it's real demoralizing when you get a gold kitted peacekeeper and both teammates proceed to leave with 8 squads left

next game: load in with only 1 teammate

respawn, pls

Vladimer on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hey, one more for a squad right now?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    If you return to lobby after being completely knocked out, do you still get XP eventually for the match?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    If you return to lobby after being completely knocked out, do you still get XP eventually for the match?

I don't think so. At least I haven't seen any indication of getting the exp. So now I just sit around and watch. Worst case get some extra free exp. Best case you get a win or learn some new tricks

• Options
    So, I've been watching some twitch to learn and mostly I feel old. Wtf does "pog" mean in chat? It's not play of the game, and Google says it's just a twitch emoji face? But the usage...doesn't make sense to me. This is yeet all over again.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I believe it's just a shortened form of PogChamp.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ObiFett wrote: »
    nusu wrote: »

maybe...

;)

This has been me with most BR games. Ive played about a nights worth of Fortnite, PubG, and Realm Royale each but once I got a win or stepped away, I didn't see a reason to continue playing or have the desire to.

This one however has kept me up hours later than I normally game, each time telling myself just one more game. I finally got a first place finish last night and then kept playing. My most memorable game from last night wasn't even the win, it was an almost win where I drug my team to top 3 after rezzing them both twice and respawning one of them, multiple multi team engagements, and multiple supply drop grabs. Losing that one hurt and I keep replaying it in my head but the intensity of it made it so much fun and led to me starting up yet another run.

Besides chasing the highs and fun the game offers, I like that the banner pieces are tied to playing the class and accomplishing feats with that class. Im spending all my time mastering Wraith, but I can't wait to expand out to the others that I've just dabbled in.

Long story short, I got a win last night and normally that would make me be done, but this game's fun is so much more than getting wins. At least to me.

To be clear, the only reason I'll be stepping away (maybe) is because I made a goal for the year to not play GaaS games this year (which I've ignored for about a week), not because I don't like the game (I even gave Respawn some money for this too).

nusu on