Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    The idea that he's some sort of plant for a competitor is pretty ridiculous. Like, plenty of people spend too much money on free-to-play games and then feel bad about it. The main difference here is that he wrote a reddit post about his experience.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm sure tons of people spent boatloads of money on that silly heirloom loot.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Considering literally every major game publisher is riding the gambling lootbox train as a business model, none of them have any incentive to give this kind of story any legs.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    And I had thought that EA specifically had gotten burned so badly on loot boxes that they were moving on. Fortnite is F2P and doesn't use loot boxes at all, which is widely regarded as a much better system, so it irritates me that EA/Respawn felt the need to introduce them. And even their battle passes will still be fundamentally random because of that. I'm betting there will be a point where you finish your battle pass and then once again won't get any more "free" boxes until the next season.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Anyone know the mechanics of Gibraltor's arm shield? Total amount? How it regenerates?

• Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    I'm a 'tinfoil hat' guy. Do people who spend too much on 'lootboxes' typically and publicly flame themselves on the Reddit (forums) for buying in or being a 'whale'? This game come out from nowhere and obliterates the competition and some 'dude' says 'I feel bad for spending lots of money on this game, don't be like me' That sounds like 'plant' to me.....

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I find the whole monetization in this game horrible. The store is a joke, evidently you stop getting loot boxes at some point and don't get them every level up, and most of the rewards you get are crap anyways. Skins for guns you don't like and the skins themselves are mostly lame. None of them are worth buying.

It being f2p I'm a little more forgiving, but there's no way I'd give them any money for a couple spins on the slot wheel. It really feels shitty, if this would have been a $40 game people would be absolutely losing their shit.

Being f2p is the only reason it's being accepted.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I gotta say, I'm 90% ignoring the cosmetics and still having a fine time. I want to get a snappy outfit for my main and might spend some money to do it but the loot boxes in no way affect my Feelings about the game.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm a 'tinfoil hat' guy. Do people who spend too much on 'lootboxes' typically and publicly flame themselves on the Reddit (forums) for buying in or being a 'whale'? This game come out from nowhere and obliterates the competition and some 'dude' says 'I feel bad for spending lots of money on this game, don't be like me' That sounds like 'plant' to me.....

To me it sounds like just one of countless people who decided to buy in until they achieved the objective of unlocking a specific thing, without first crunching the numbers to see how much it is likely to cost. They start digging themselves into a hole get frustrated, and then sunk cost digs them deeper until they get their item, regain enough self control to stop, or become unable to dig anymore. This isn't a suspicious plant, it's a story that gets retold for every single game with a gacha mechanic. Seriously, I challenge you to find me a game with purchasable loot boxes that doesn't have people who go through similar stories.

A subset of people who fall into this trap want to share their story to try and save others from the same fate. Like the ghost of scrooge's old business partner in A Christmas Story, or the the chronic smokers who breath through a tube in their throat who visit schools to warn children of the dangers of drug use.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I pretty much don't care about the gun skins at all beyond being able to differentiate them at a distance. Probably end up getting them color coded to their ammo type.

As far as player skins, I'd probably just choose the ones that are likely to blend in the best with the environment.

Beyond that, the only thing that most people will even notice are just the banner/player quips/trackers.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    The only time you even really notice character skins is when you select your character.

• Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I am absolutely not going to spend a dime on this game. I'd like to, but... yeah, the gambling-based monetary model is hot garbage and it's not worth supporting even if I enjoy playing the game for free.

Maybe I'll get this "battle pass" thing, I'm not sure what it includes. I'll be happy to support any non-gambly options to give them my money. But the lootboxes are a nice big heap of shit on an otherwise perfect game, imo. It's like literally worse than a pure random lootbox system is too.

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    That you eventually stop earning Loot Boxes is the nasty decision in Apex. That said, it depends on how frequently they add to their loot pool. Presumably, they didn't expect the response, so felt they needed to limit the loot acquisition so you always have something in the pool to chase, while they slowly trickle out new items/skins to re-add to the pool.

Were I in their shoes, I'd ramp up skin development, and then give out loot boxes each level. But I'm not.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    the battle pass will probably help

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I haven't really paid any attention to the store part of the game.

Can you not just straight up buy the things you want?

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

As far as I know, they only have 4 items you can buy with real money at a time, they rotate every few days. The only way to get something not on sale is to craft it. I could be wrong and you need funbux already purchased to see the buy option on normal items.

Either way, that Wraith heirloom stuff doesn't show up until after you get it in an apex pack, so there would be no way to buy it directly.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »

As far as I know, they only have 4 items you can buy with real money at a time, they rotate every few days. The only way to get something not on sale is to craft it. I could be wrong and you need funbux already purchased to see the buy option on normal items.

Either way, that Wraith heirloom stuff doesn't show up until after you get it in an apex pack, so there would be no way to buy it directly.

That's just the cosmetics, though. You can always just buy new characters if you want

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I spent $10 on boxes just because I like the game.
    Got two "legendary" skins and plenty of other swag.
    Seems entirely reasonable.

Citing pubg as the counterexample here... people were spending actual thousands of dollars to whale out. $500 for the rarest stuff is almost comically cheap by prevailing industry standards.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    At some point voice chat got turned on on PS4. Or I think the “voice to text” thing got turned off server side or something and I haven’t gotten around to figuring out how to turn voice off. But it worked out pretty well for a while. Then I got yelled at by a malignant narcissist for not resing him while two enemies were standing about five feet away from him. So that’s how my Friday night is going.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Anyone know the mechanics of Gibraltor's arm shield? Total amount? How it regenerates?

I don’t know the real numbers but the answers are “it’s garbage”

Sorry to be so negative but I just wish Gib was better as an old Rein main.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think it might be... 25, or 50? You can't tank with it but it can win you a one on one.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I spent 10$ for some boxes, got some skins I liked and enough crafting material to get some more stuff I wanted. It helps that, although I do like and want the legendary stuff, I prefer the rare stuff to the epic stuff so getting things I like is easier than it might be.

That said, and while I do generally think I got what I paid for and knew what I was going in for, I generally think lootboxes suck bawls and would vastly prefer paying directly for items if they didn't' cost like 20 bucks for a legendary. I will probably end up getting the battle pass if this game shows any real tail though, as I do enjoy it a lot and want to support Respawn.

Edit: Oh and I remember now why I came into this thread: to complain

Mirage is very fun but his ultimate is aggressively awful and is the only ultimate which is like, legitimately more of a risk than it's basically ever worth.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Picked up my first victory on Mirage today.

https://youtu.be/shFCIAHyl-U

Shockingly balanced contributions, too.

NXqquDW.png

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    I pretty much don't care about the gun skins at all beyond being able to differentiate them at a distance. Probably end up getting them color coded to their ammo type.

s far as player skins, I'd probably just choose the ones that are likely to blend in the best with the environment.

Beyond that, the only thing that most people will even notice are just the banner/player quips/trackers.

I think guns don't actually change skins until you pick them up, so you can't do easy decision-making during looting by trying to color code them or w/e

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »

s far as player skins, I'd probably just choose the ones that are likely to blend in the best with the environment.

I think guns don't actually change skins until you pick them up, so you can't do easy decision-making during looting by trying to color code them or w/e

This is true and also if you pick up and throw down a weapon, it's now skinned with your skin. If someone picks it up, or kills you and takes it, it will still be your skin.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Good newsish from the Apex Reddit, devs have tweaked balloon flights since people were getting much farther than intended with them (probably the hovering trick)
    Also they are still soliciting PC specs and any way you can give them to repeat crashes. Supposedly also working with hardware manufacturers on pinning down the issues. So at least they continue to agree there is a problem, even if it is a big hairy one on PC's. I don't envy them trying to make sure the game runs on every potato/laptop/custom PC/Dell/Dill brand PC out there.

• Options

Apparently it's 50hp and a 'long' cool down that may be sped up by shield cells/batteries.
    Adding to inqs comment, the problem with Gibraltar, and caustic for that matter is they are at the far large end of character hit boxes. Hit boxes ARE different sizes, and bigger is strictly worse when you aren't getting a health pool or something to make up for it. Wraith and Bangalore have the smallest, then lifeline, then bloodhound, Pathfinders is a little bigger than their base skin even. It's a huge balance issue that doesn't seem to have made its way to how abilities are balanced. Wraith and Bangalore are both the smallest and have some of the best abilities in the game period.
    It's a shame for sure, I love Gibraltar's va, but he's strictly underpowered right now.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I don’t know the real numbers but the answers are “it’s garbage”

Sorry to be so negative but I just wish Gib was better as an old Rein main.

The arm shield is great at making you super visible at range.

I try to use his q shield like Winston's bubble but man it's just not the same. The animation to deploy is so long and if you go down while throwing it out, even if it has left your hand and on the ground, it won't deploy.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Good newsish from the Apex Reddit, devs have tweaked balloon flights since people were getting much farther than intended with them (probably the hovering trick)
    Also they are still soliciting PC specs and any way you can give them to repeat crashes. Supposedly also working with hardware manufacturers on pinning down the issues. So at least they continue to agree there is a problem, even if it is a big hairy one on PC's. I don't envy them trying to make sure the game runs on every potato/laptop/custom PC/Dell/Dill brand PC out there.

That's what every game developer does though. I think it's kinda ridiculous how long it's been since the real public launch of the game with apparently not even a single PC crash fix. People are too happy to give them a pass for this IMO.

Zek on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Zek wrote: »

That's what every game developer does though. I think it's kinda ridiculous how long it's been since the real public launch of the game with apparently not even a single PC crash fix. People are too happy to give them a pass for this IMO.

God yes.

It's kind of frustrating when you put almost as much time into troubleshooting this damn thing as you have playing it and come up bingo and people are saying, "Well obviously it's your hardware, the game is flawless."

It's not my hardware. The only games I have stability issues with are games I downloaded from Origin. I have other games that push my system just as hard like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it doesn't crash.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

What?

It's been 2 and a half weeks and they have put out 4 patches already. Two of them specifically mentioned fixes for crashes, including the type I had. I know people are still having crashes and it sucks, but I mean come on. It's a free game that had no beta testing, and they are pushing out updates pretty damn fast.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

What?

It's been 2 and a half weeks and they have put out 4 patches already. Two of them specifically mentioned fixes for crashes, including the type I had. I know people are still having crashes and it sucks, but I mean come on. It's a free game that had no beta testing, and they are pushing out updates pretty damn fast.

Two and a half weeks is a very long time for a fully launched game to be crashing this much. I don't think I've ever played a game that crashed so often, and I've done all their troubleshooting steps. I've read all the patch notes, none of them address PC crashes except for apparently a new crash they added this week with the Havoc.

"It's a free game" isn't a defense, F2P is a business model they chose to maximize revenue. I've spent money on it. It's a live retail product and should be held to those standards. And "it had no beta testing" is exactly my point, that's not a positive.

Zek on
  • Options
    Yeah, they have pushed patches supposedly fixing some things, and it's not like it's as simple as "just do it good instead of bad!" Especially if it's something common to origin games, they may well be hamstrung by something baked into that. It's frustrating for sure, but the game is also obviously working for a lot of people, that just doesn't make for a post. The million different hardware, driver and software idiosyncrasies to account for, and the amount of praise/streaming vs this is busted posts indicate that all in all they did an ok job, even if that doesn't help with the fact it's not stable on your box. It's not malicious, or even incompetence, it's people seemingly trying their best and iterating on that. And sure most people on this forum probably update their drivers and check their settings, but so, so many more don't, and the FAQs put out fix their shit.
    It makes sense to be frustrated, and even not play, but go be happy playing any of your working games vs doubling down on it being an injustice this game doesn't run stably/at all for you.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

Apparently it's 50hp and a 'long' cool down that may be sped up by shield cells/batteries.
    Adding to inqs comment, the problem with Gibraltar, and caustic for that matter is they are at the far large end of character hit boxes. Hit boxes ARE different sizes, and bigger is strictly worse when you aren't getting a health pool or something to make up for it. Wraith and Bangalore have the smallest, then lifeline, then bloodhound, Pathfinders is a little bigger than their base skin even. It's a huge balance issue that doesn't seem to have made its way to how abilities are balanced. Wraith and Bangalore are both the smallest and have some of the best abilities in the game period.
    It's a shame for sure, I love Gibraltar's va, but he's strictly underpowered right now.

I really won't be surprised to see Bangalore struck with the nerfbat once the first balance pass for the characters rolls around. My money is on a reduction to her speed boost and/or limiting her smoke grenade to a single charge. Her powerful abilities combined with tiny hit box is too much to not be addressed in some fashion.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I think the PC crashing is fairly limited in scope. Even in here, the only people I know if experiencing crashing I've seen complaining about crashing in other game threads as well, which makes me think it's a PC customization thing.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Obviously all these characters will be buffed and nerfed to varying degrees over time since that's just how these things work.

That said, I expect to see a Gibraltar buff and a Bangalore nerf of some sort sooner rather than later.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    How would I go about recording my games on PS4? Could I stream them in twitch then curate the archive?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I feel like there's a few ways they could improve Gib. They could make it so enemy squads who enter the shield take damage, maybe a small amount but it ticks over time. They could change the shape because frankly, it's weirdly tall and I'm not sure why they did that. Everything about his design draws attention to your team, which is dumb. Maybe make the dome shield wider and lower, so it covers more area and is less obvious.

I think his dome shield is best used as an "oh shit" button when you get flanked and need to make a hasty escape. We've won many games by just fucking booking it and not looking back, so the teams behind shooting us get caught up fighting each other.

I'm not sure how you fix his arm shield, maybe just change the color so it's not so noticable?

• Options
    I feel like there's a few ways they could improve Gib. They could make it so enemy squads who enter the shield take damage, maybe a small amount but it ticks over time. They could change the shape because frankly, it's weirdly tall and I'm not sure why they did that. Everything about his design draws attention to your team, which is dumb. Maybe make the dome shield wider and lower, so it covers more area and is less obvious.

I think his dome shield is best used as an "oh shit" button when you get flanked and need to make a hasty escape. We've won many games by just fucking booking it and not looking back, so the teams behind shooting us get caught up fighting each other.

I'm not sure how you fix his arm shield, maybe just change the color so it's not so noticable?

I think they need to tweak hit boxes slightly as well. How exactly I'm not sure, but the hit boxes should be more balanced somehow.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I think they need to tweak hit boxes slightly as well. How exactly I'm not sure, but the hit boxes should be more balanced somehow.

I think this is the biggest corner they've painted themselves into, since the models are the models, and it makes sense you want a shot that should hit the model to...hit the model, and a shot that should go through the legs to go through the legs. Maybe shrink gibraltar? just scale him right on down a bit? It's off theme but ehhh.