As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] thread

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Not to dunk on Override specifically but I always kind of uh-huh when I hear DMs talking about how stupid their players are

yall would be doing the same if roles were reversed

As a player of D&D

yeah players are goddamn stupid

I mean without any context clues from the DM, how does one know that an orb is an orb of annihilation? DM has the power of omnipotence and omniscience, so of course they know you're going to lose an arm to it.

If the DM says, "The orb slowly moves around the room, making it's way past a pillar towards the party, the pillar wilts and crumbles as the orb passes through it.." is a bit different from "there's an orb in the middle of the room hovering ominously". I don't know which way override narrated it, but I can see the second one resulting in them trying to grab or touch the orb and the first one with them maybe trying to use objects to contain it first.

That’s why you poke it with a stick or something

Magic shit is fucked up and you should treat it with care

No way

I walk up and slap the cursed orb of draconic wrath

What’s the worst that some overgrown marble can do to me

WHAT'RE YOU GONNA DO, STAB ME

HE ACTUALLY STABBED ME
    -gravestone

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Alternatively, your party hates each other and wish they could split up, but they're psychically shackled together and can't willingly separate beyond, like, 500 feet. If they are forced to separate, they feel an overwhelming compulsion to rejoin each other (which forces them to take risks but not e.g. leap off cliffs)

The quest is to remove their shackle curse and they have to live with each other in the interim. One person staying put basically forces all of them to, which sucks when the paladin wants to take a stand to save a village from gnolls or whatever.

critical: they all need to be alive to remove it.

Go with the stargate sg-1 kormak bracelet. Too far away for too long, you both pass out and eventually die. If one of you dies, you both die.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The bad news: I'm getting audited
    The good news: Its only a work audit and they are starting at the most senior non-management groups. So the tiny group at my tech level are passing around all the documentation we need to demonstrate we know all the policies before it gets down to supervisors or senior/regular staff. By the time it gets down to them we might have a script for the 2 hour meeting.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Not to dunk on Override specifically but I always kind of uh-huh when I hear DMs talking about how stupid their players are

yall would be doing the same if roles were reversed

As a player of D&D

yeah players are goddamn stupid

I mean without any context clues from the DM, how does one know that an orb is an orb of annihilation? DM has the power of omnipotence and omniscience, so of course they know you're going to lose an arm to it.

If the DM says, "The orb slowly moves around the room, making it's way past a pillar towards the party, the pillar wilts and crumbles as the orb passes through it.." is a bit different from "there's an orb in the middle of the room hovering ominously". I don't know which way override narrated it, but I can see the second one resulting in them trying to grab or touch the orb and the first one with them maybe trying to use objects to contain it first.

That’s why you poke it with a stick or something

Magic shit is fucked up and you should treat it with care

No way

I walk up and slap the cursed orb of draconic wrath

What’s the worst that some overgrown marble can do to me

WHAT'RE YOU GONNA DO, STAB ME

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    The last P&P RPG I’ve played was Numenera. Fun world and stories.
    After that we basically completely switched to board games.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sometimes I wonder about all the different riffs on old school d&d

There’s dcc, ack, a bunch really

DCC
    ACK
    castles and crusaders
    Labyrinth lord
    Lamentations of the Flame Princess
    White Hack
    Black Hack
    Swords and Wizardry

That’s all I got

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    The good news: Its only a work audit and they are starting at the most senior non-management groups. So the tiny group at my tech level are passing around all the documentation we need to demonstrate we know all the policies before it gets down to supervisors or senior/regular staff. By the time it gets down to them we might have a script for the 2 hour meeting.

Shred everything. Shred it all and shred it now

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Alternatively, your party hates each other and wish they could split up, but they're psychically shackled together and can't willingly separate beyond, like, 500 feet. If they are forced to separate, they feel an overwhelming compulsion to rejoin each other (which forces them to take risks but not e.g. leap off cliffs)

The quest is to remove their shackle curse and they have to live with each other in the interim. One person staying put basically forces all of them to, which sucks when the paladin wants to take a stand to save a village from gnolls or whatever.

Go with the stargate sg-1 kormak bracelet. Too far away for too long, you both pass out and eventually die. If one of you dies, you both die.
    how we gonna know what happens when one of us dies without experimenting

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I know and game with enough of you pen and paper rpg types that I could probably easily get a game now but babby on the way I will definitely not have enough time soon.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Was just at my gastro doctor, no new symptoms

5 minutes after I leave my (or what I assume is my) gallbladder starts spasming wildly

Wtf

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Also, set the building on fire

• Options

Paper? What is this, 1997?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »

how we gonna know what happens when one of us dies without experimenting

....And so the group gained two new party members that day

• Options
    I always liked having a group idea first to motivate character building, especially membership in an organization

E.g. "divine class hit squad" with evoker, avenger, cleric, paladin

One of the best things from narrative games is this built in as character creation

Simply asking “what do we all want to do” is really helpful

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    o cool, inclement weather flight alert. to change flight or not... i think not though, because the snow is supposed to be in morning.

poo
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Paper? What is this, 1997?

There's no time for that just start posting hard drives into the shred bins

• Options
    That legitimately is an incredible poem

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I wonder who has the record for Most Hours Listening To Role Playing Podcasts Without Themselves Playing, I bet it's me

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Yes

• Options

Yes

YES

• Options
    I wonder who has the record for Most Hours Listening To Role Playing Podcasts Without Themselves Playing, I bet it's me

But we're roleplaying right now

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

🤔

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Also idk I have certainly witnessed players make bad decisions as a fellow player and that’s usually not a problem - players not playing “optimally” often introduces drama or hilarity which makes the game lively and fun

I also notice when a player takes actions which makes the game less fun and leads to players arguing ... that seems like a genuine problem that dms complain about.

• Options
    Also idk I have certainly witnessed players make bad decisions as a fellow player and that’s usually not a problem - players not playing “optimally” often introduces drama or hilarity which makes the game lively and fun

I also notice when a player takes actions which makes the game less fun and leads to players arguing ... that seems like a genuine problem that dms complain about.

Good thing that has never happened in our group

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbq5dsQ-l9M

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Wandering sticks out their tongue suggestively, their pink fur blowing in the wind.

• Options
    When I was younger and a poor DM (as opposed to my current state of being older and a poor, rusty DM) I remember one of my players asking to make a knowledge check to know what type of stone a passage was made from because the player knew a bit of geology and seemed to be hoping that I'd secretly encoded something in the physical geography of a bloody cave system

I panicked and said it was schist or something and the player proceeded to pontificate about the oddness of that type of rock being here.

My heart shrank three sizes that day but I learnt to answer questions like that with "Toby the dwarf knows the type of rock"

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

William Carlos Williams approves

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    / the Tiger is S O C I A L I S M

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    it doesn't even rhyme

my kid coulda write that

• Options

William Carlos Williams approves

I think it has more in line with the surrealists

There is something both fearsome and ecstatic happening in the “Yes/YES” lines

And a bit of mystery and satisfaction at the ending

WCW is more about everyday scenes in plainspoken English

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Tangentially related but here are WIPs of three of my RPG npcs
    gegzqqss7mli.jpeg
    (By mothmandraws

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    it doesn't even rhyme

my kid coulda write that

Your kid doesn’t exist

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    I like D&D

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    gambit / gambit / cowboy gambit

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    wholesale character murder is great tho

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Also the shipping for my too big jawbreaker got delayed, and I am sad

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    When I was younger and a poor DM (as opposed to my current state of being older and a poor, rusty DM) I remember one of my players asking to make a knowledge check to know what type of stone a passage was made from because the player knew a bit of geology and seemed to be hoping that I'd secretly encoded something in the physical geography of a bloody cave system

I panicked and said it was schist or something and the player proceeded to pontificate about the oddness of that type of rock being here.

My heart shrank three sizes that day but I learnt to answer questions like that with "Toby the dwarf knows the type of rock"
    When I was running a Star Trek game, the Vulcan engineer asked "These metal huts, what is the baryon particle count according to the sensors?" And I'm like "whut?" The player said "Oh, TNG, baryon particles accumulate on starship hulls due to warp travel." It was a fantastic example of using IRL nerd knowledge in the game to learn a crucial bit of information.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.