Options

[chat] thread

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I don't care how stupid they're being as long as they're having fun.

Yes it's failure in the dwarf fortress sense

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    For the next CRPG I play after I finish Neverwinter Nights 2, I'm making a warrior named Axeson Jackson.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

Ah ... romance

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Not to dunk on Override specifically but I always kind of uh-huh when I hear DMs talking about how stupid their players are

yall would be doing the same if roles were reversed

As a player of D&D

yeah players are goddamn stupid

I mean without any context clues from the DM, how does one know that an orb is an orb of annihilation? DM has the power of omnipotence and omniscience, so of course they know you're going to lose an arm to it.

If the DM says, "The orb slowly moves around the room, making it's way past a pillar towards the party, the pillar wilts and crumbles as the orb passes through it.." is a bit different from "there's an orb in the middle of the room hovering ominously". I don't know which way override narrated it, but I can see the second one resulting in them trying to grab or touch the orb and the first one with them maybe trying to use objects to contain it first.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Our last session involved a character falling down a well and refusing to ride the under current into the next room so he made athletic checks while the other party members forced (and eventually killed) his retinue to try and save him.

I had a bunch of stuff planned...but they pulled on this thread and I couldn't resist.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Not to dunk on Override specifically but I always kind of uh-huh when I hear DMs talking about how stupid their players are

As a player of D&D

I mean without any context clues from the DM, how does one know that an orb is an orb of annihilation? DM has the power of omnipotence and omniscience, so of course they know you're going to lose an arm to it.

If the DM says, "The orb slowly moves around the room, making it's way past a pillar towards the party, the pillar wilts and crumbles as the orb passes through it.." is a bit different from "there's an orb in the middle of the room hovering ominously". I don't know which way override narrated it, but I can see the second one resulting in them trying to grab or touch the orb and the first one with them maybe trying to use objects to contain it first.
    The old gazebo story comes to mind, which predates the Internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_and_the_Dread_Gazebo
    The tale features a player who is dumbfounded by the gamemaster's description of a nearby gazebo, as he has never heard of a gazebo. Unwilling to ask what it is and convinced that he has encountered some sort of monster, he queries the bewildered game master for its specifics in meticulous detail then proceeds to attempt wounding it with an arrow (and, obviously, fails). By the end of the encounter the player, lacking the means to harm a gazebo, opts to flee in desperation; the frustrated game master responds "It's too late. You've awakened the Gazebo; it catches you and eats you."[1] According to Ed Whitchurch (the real gamemaster of the incident) the original incident on which the anecdote is based was actually less than a minute long, ending predictably with "Don't you know what a gazebo is?"

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    There are a number of reasons why players are so goddamn dumb (all of this coming as a formerly frequent player and sometime DM):

* Not knowing the capabilities of the encounter (be it a trap, conversation, planning session, or combat)
    * Not knowing the implications of those capabilities when they do know the capabilities
    * Not seeing warnings/implications that look obvious to you as the DM (this is why game design is a bitch)
    * edit: trying to control the clearly uncontrollable "because it worked in the past". You know, like trying to manipulate the king into doing your bidding with speech checks.
    * Having an idea that seems brilliant but has implications that they didn't think through if it fails. Or if it succeeds. Call this a failure of imagination.
    * Having a damned stupid idea, be told it's stupid, but do it anyway (sometimes for humorous effect, sometimes because we're just being pig-headed).

The flip side is that if you try to plan every last action out and consider all possible ramifications, the game slows to a crawl and everyone gets bored. At that point the DM usually makes a monster break up the planning session and what did all that planning buy you?

In short, it should be expected and planned for that players are idiots because we are.

Orca on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

As a player of D&D

The tomb of annihilation is meant to annihilate. The original sphere in the Tomb of Horrors in there is just in this thing:
    TombofHorrorsSpheresmall.jpg

and when I ran it I had a player just say "I reach my arm inside and fish around for stuff"

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Doing crazy stuff is where D&D is fun

if you want a combat minigame its not a great one

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

DMs complaining about players (“they didn’t respect the sanctity of my fiction because”) is like MMO players bitching about other classes (“let’s see you get any heals after you said that”) where my brain just passes it straight through to the trash can unread most of the time

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My god.

I just got out of a meeting. That could've been over in 20 minutes. Instead it went an hour and a half because someone would just not. shut. up.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It’s canon that any time my gaming group stumbles upon a liquid they drink it

In a rare moment of self control they avoided drinking a vial of mummy rot recently

That would have been good to see

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of players making strategically poor choices in favor of character appropriate choices.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of players making strategically poor choices in favor of character appropriate choices.

This is the only way to play. True to the character.

• Options
    I mean, let's face it. Human beings are idiots. We are all idiots. I make strategically poor, but in-character decisions all the fucking time. We all eat too much, don't exercise enough, aren't suspicious enough of online interactions, drive our vehicles in a threatening manner, etc.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it sounds like people are advocating using your imagination to have fun and i don’t think i can stand idly by any longer

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

As a player of D&D

That’s why you poke it with a stick or something

Magic shit is fucked up and you should treat it with care

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Wow, hard disagree here. There are a billion and one games that handle/provoke/inspire the crazy stuff better than D&D. The only thing D&D has going for it is generally mid level combat crunch. If you're not enjoying combat in D&D you really should be playing a different game.

Related: I don't really play D&D anymore.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    It’s canon that any time my gaming group stumbles upon a liquid they drink it

In a rare moment of self control they avoided drinking a vial of mummy rot recently

That would have been good to see

Wow too wussy to do Mummy Shots

You’re really taking the “party” out of player character party here guys

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2019
    It’s also true that some people playing their character idea accurately is awful because their character idea is a dangerous loner who doesn’t trust anyone and who steals loot and starts fights with other party members and ugh Darren what even was the point in you playing?

Bogart on
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    It’s also true that some people playing their character idea accurately is awful because their character idea is a dangerous lover who doesn’t trust anyone and who steals loot and starts fights with other party members and ugh Darren what even was the point in you playing?

I like to disallow characters like that.

Some people like them though.

It's part of why I've had a hard time finding a D&D group I mesh with in the last 10 years. The way I want to play is not the way the D&D groups I've tried out want to play. OH WELL.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Also critical role season 2 party choices for talking to important NPCs

Caduceus: "This situation requires honesty, verbal finesse, tact, and probably someone with Arcane knowledge. Beau you're coming with me"

Me: what

Beau: *immediately starts lying to the powerful wizard*

Me: Jesus Christ

hahaha yes

I remember season one when they sat outside the gates of the capital city of the desert coming up with a devious lie to get to see the ruler of the country when one of them said
    Percy: "Guys, we're famous adventurers here seeking aid to defeat evil dragons that are besieging our homeland, and I'm a foreign head of state, can't we just walk up and be honest?"
    Scanlan: "Be honest?! We've never done that, how do you even do that"

Yeah the decision to bring Beau along as his +1 to talk to the Arch Mage in Nicodranas was just bonkers.

It got better and worked out in the end, but listening to Beau start fucking lying right off the bat was like "you have chosen...poorly"

It really pains me how much people on the interet are getting angry at Marisha for this, as if she is ruining everything

They got mad at her for Key'leth being TOO honest in S1!

She roleplays the hell out of her characters, Beau is an angry person who never lets her guard down and is a self described "Disaster lesbian" incapable of making good decisions, and Marisha nails the character she created. Keyleth was a naive good person who was willing to stand against an endless horde of undead with 2 spell slots left while her party ran away because "Every one of them we take down is another person who doesn't get killed by them", and yet the "fans" have a huge subset that are just like a pit of barking dogs endlessly giving the player shit for her character's suboptimal decisions (as to actual poor spell choices, as Marisha said, you try playing a character with 200+ spells available in front of an audience of thousands and knock it out of the park)

The idea of back seat drivering an rpg character blows my mind

I mean, I expect it from our online culture but yeah

Well, Marisha seems to get it more than anyone else. Spellcasting classes in D&D are complicated, with lots of fiddly bits to remember, and a Druid is especially so. Travis misplays his Warlock a lot and I haven't heard of him taking any shit.

Liam has taken to a wizard pretty well, but he DMs his kids, and the best way of getting a really good understanding of the rules is to be the one who interprets them.

I dunno why Laura picked a cleric as she seems to despise doing clericy things. :P Taliesin is old hat at TTRPGS, and that comes through. Sam is incredibly creative, which allows him to get away with all kinds of things.

• Options

As a player of D&D

Something like a Sphere of Annihilation is absolutely ineffable and an out-of-the-box problem. There's really nothing like it in the normal experience of human beings (the players), let alone in the world of DnD (the characters). Magic doesn't NORMALLY work that way within the confines of the Player's Handbook (the rules) and the state of the universe (the game world). Expecting everyone to treat it as this dangerous thing misses the point... there's no way to predict the reaction of the players to something like this because it bends everything you or your characters know about their reality.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019

As a player of D&D

No way

I walk up and slap the cursed orb of draconic wrath

What’s the worst that some overgrown marble can do to me

desc on
  • Options

As a player of D&D

No way

What’s the worst that done overgrown marble can do to me
    "Slap the Cursed Orb of Draconic Wealth" is the name of my latest orc-core punk anthem.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    mMkMYKw.jpg

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    It’s also true that some people playing their character idea accurately is awful because their character idea is a dangerous loner who doesn’t trust anyone and who steals loot and starts fights with other party members and ugh Darren what even was the point in you playing?

People seem to want to play the anti-hero loner archetype, but that is SUPER antithetical to the conceit of being on an adventure as a group of friends or comrades. It can be done, but only by someone who A) Is experienced at the game and B) Understands that their character needs to have motivation to adventure with the other people.

I played with a guy who said his character was super greedy, so he was always trying to ninja all the loot, "But that's just how my character is!"

No dude, no.

EDIT: Thinking about that, I was playing a Paladin at the time, I should have dealt with it in game via my Paladin giving him an ultimatum. And then started a fight if he refused.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

As a player of D&D

No way

tixczoa1hduu.jpeg

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I'm happy that the Kaguya-sama anime turned out to be good. The manga is excellent and funny as hell.

@Kana what’s it about?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

As a player of D&D

Something like a Sphere of Annihilation is absolutely ineffable and an out-of-the-box problem. There's really nothing like it in the normal experience of human beings (the players), let alone in the world of DnD (the characters). Magic doesn't NORMALLY work that way within the confines of the Player's Handbook (the rules) and the state of the universe (the game world). Expecting everyone to treat it as this dangerous thing misses the point... there's no way to predict the reaction of the players to something like this because it bends everything you or your characters know about their reality.

I've interacted with one before as a player, and the DM went out of his way to say just how dangerous this thing was. It was basically, secure the area around it, do NOT under any circumstances attempt to interact with it. Signal the support team and they'll take it from there.

Of course after the adventure concluded we all looked it up and went NOOOOOOPE

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Softball at work is now at 9-0 and has outscored opponents 84-5.
    They are the godqueens of Division 2

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

People seem to want to play the anti-hero loner archetype, but that is SUPER antithetical to the conceit of being on an adventure as a group of friends or comrades. It can be done, but only by someone who A) Is experienced at the game and B) Understands that their character needs to have motivation to adventure with the other people.

I played with a guy who said his character was super greedy, so he was always trying to ninja all the loot, "But that's just how my character is!"

No dude, no.

EDIT: Thinking about that, I was playing a Paladin at the time, I should have dealt with it in game via my Paladin giving him an ultimatum. And then started a fight if he refused.
    I mean. It can work if everyone buys into the concept, especially if they play it up for humor. I'm reminded of the Overkill character in "The Tick" (the new Amazon 2016 series). Or, like, Batman in the LEGO movies. But it has to be part of the social integration of the gaming group, and it can't really exist in a vacuum.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Wow, hard disagree here. There are a billion and one games that handle/provoke/inspire the crazy stuff better than D&D. The only thing D&D has going for it is generally mid level combat crunch. If you're not enjoying combat in D&D you really should be playing a different game.

Related: I don't really play D&D anymore.

Eh, it's the one a lot of people know. There's nothing about it you can't fudge into a more fun system if you feel like it. Particularly for like small or one off campaigns.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    so another snow day, this year has been kind of nuts. Like I think with me taking a day off in there I've worked like one or two full weeks in the new year.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

As a player of D&D

I've interacted with one before as a player, and the DM went out of his way to say just how dangerous this thing was. It was basically, secure the area around it, do NOT under any circumstances attempt to interact with it. Signal the support team and they'll take it from there.

Of course after the adventure concluded we all looked it up and went NOOOOOOPE
    If something like the Sphere of Annihilation existed IRL, it would immediately be used to create profit somehow. Some scientist will figure out how to produce limitless energy or even replicate it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    My character is renown for often being the last party member standing. And because of that, the other players are giving him magic items we find.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2019
    When DMs trash all their players make reminded of how some non entry workers refer to their subordinates or interns as minions or whatever. Admittedly I’m totally ignorant of tabletop culture so maybe it’s more loving than it sounds, less derisive

But from my outside perspective it’s not 100% the best look

Organichu on
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

As a player of D&D

No way

tixczoa1hduu.jpeg

This baby can fit so many saving throws vs death in it

This discussion has been closed.