As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Niche Gaming and Joe Maddenite

124»

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Valic wrote: »
    Time to quit Lurking.

I guess im a Maddenite. I buy Madden the day it comes out every year since 01.

I like football, alot, more than I should really, my girlfriend thinks its kinda sick how I can tell you the heights / weights / colleges / Hair styles, and sleeping habits of most of the Raiders, yet I can never keep track of weather our anniversery is on the 25th or 27th of April.

I guess I must be stupid. These are the games I currently own on my 360.

Madden 07 / NHL 07 / NBA 2k7 / World series of Poker / Hitman / Guitar hero 2 / CoD 3 / PGR / DOA4 / Gears of War / Lego Star Wars / Blitz the leage / Tiger woods 06 / 99 Nights /

I also play DoD, WoW, and Medieval 2 alot.

I think you need to realize that not all of us "Maddenites" are stupid one dimensional gamers.

Goddamn it, here we go again. Do you go out of your way to proclaim that the only true road to gaming is through playing Madden, or do you insult people who dare to touch non-Madden games? That's what the freaking term applies to.

You obviously haven't come across that definition in this thread. Lurk moar.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Time to quit Lurking.

I like football, alot, more than I should really, my girlfriend thinks its kinda sick how I can tell you the heights / weights / colleges / Hair styles, and sleeping habits of most of the Raiders, yet I can never keep track of weather our anniversery is on the 25th or 27th of April.

Madden 07 / NHL 07 / NBA 2k7 / World series of Poker / Hitman / Guitar hero 2 / CoD 3 / PGR / DOA4 / Gears of War / Lego Star Wars / Blitz the leage / Tiger woods 06 / 99 Nights /

I think you need to realize that not all of us "Maddenites" are stupid one dimensional gamers.

222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

"Your taste in games sucks, and you're killing the industry".

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Time to quit Lurking.

Maddenites, by very defition, are stupid and one dimensional. If you're not, you're not a Maddenite.

Glad we could clear that up.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Fixed for actual ethics. A corporation has the same ethical obligation to their employees that they do to their stockholders: earning them a livelihood. The only difference is that while stockholders invest cash, employees invest time and effort.

...I'm not sure how that contradicts anything I said. EA makes money, pays employees. EA makes decisions that result in profit for said purposes.

It doesn't contradict anything you said... just adding to it for the sake of completeness.

All too often people forget that corporations owe a debt to its employees, not the other way around.
    JPS3 wrote: »
    (snip)

I don't know if you're serious or not, but I know I have been getting bored with Nintendo's recent outings. I couldn't finish Twilight Princess because it was the same game I already played three times before. Super Paper Mario... too easy and boring as hell. Metroid Prime 2 and Hunters, both boring and not worth it. Oh, and now that Nintendo has seen a taste of major success for the first time their PR is starting to sound like Sony PR, with trash talking and BS.

I love Nintendo and everything, but they are not the end all be all of gaming... they can be, and have been, just as bad as EA and others.

Why is it that almost every thread on this forum turns into a dissertation on how awful Nintendo is, and then immediately evolves into people mocking how "pro-Nintendo" this forum is? If it was so pro-Nintendo, then why does almost every thread contain people bitching about Nintendo even if it's totally unrelated to the topic?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2007
    People who can't understand why people care enough about sports to buy madden every year should bear in mind that the vast majority of people can't understand why anyone cares enough about a console to buy it within six months of release, let alone camp out for it as many people here did.

Tube on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't buy a game because you told me to anyway. Mostly because I'd think you were trying to selling me shit to meet some kind of quota. I still stand by th point of offering games way outside a genre to buy is silly.

You just like being contrary, don't you? That, or you're entirely fucking dense. I seriously doubt anybody's stupid enough to think that an employee of a game store would work on commission, so that's out the window. And what part do you not get that we were having a general discussion about good games that they might enjoy? They ask, I answer. That fucking simple.

who said anything about commission? There are jobs where you have to sell a certain amount of shit and nly get to keep your job for doing so. Hell, ya'll do that with preorders and used games don't ya?

Also, do you not understand that having a "general' conversation might not be general to both parties? You could be having a general conversation with a woman, but she could think you're flirting when all you want to talk about is the damn weather.

Let me assure you of two things:

1) Nobody operates on a quota for used games. There's a certain proportion they like, used games over new, but that's extremely easy to accomplish.

2) I am not mentally deficient. As such, I know enough about human interaction based purely on experience to subconciously understand the nuances of an interpersonal interaction.

What you're trying to do, instead of address the actual issue, is come up with excuses. You're excusing them because you want to attack me, or because you want to defend them. Neither of these things benefit the discussion at hand, and your assertions grounded from this position are entirely false.

false? How can my opinion of you offering games outside of a genre to someone be false? I think it's silly, that's all. I have no idea where you're getting all this shit from. No one called you stupid or claimed you were 'mentally deficient". There's no issue to address other than you boo hooing cause you could get someone to buy a game outside a genre of their general interest.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally, my problem is not with sports games (Madden does not exist here, after all). It's with crappy movie tie-ins that sell far too well, and I'm annoyed with people for encouraging those when I would rather see good movie tie-ins.

Sure, most people don't have my taste (I buy Okami, Psychonauts and indeed far more niche games), but that can't be helped.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    JPS3JPS3 regular
    edited May 2007
    JPS3 wrote: »
    mugginns wrote: »
    mugginns wrote: »
    Kainy wrote: »
    God, I posted a good rant about this at kotaku, and I am too lazy to reproduce it. It was incomplete there, even.

Suffice it to say that Joe Maddenite is derisive, but no, he is not good for the industry.

All of his gaming money goes toward the same stagnant games that even he, in his stupor, will eventually tire of, and then he will move on to rape another hobby. Since the massive number of such idiots make it so that only stale, shitty sequels to stale, shitty games that have been stale and shitty for years are profitable by causing them to make, in a relative sense, gajillions of dollars more than anything that would have a chance to bring a new idea into the industry, stale, shitty games will be all that's left, and those of us who care about the industry do not buy stale, shitty games in numbers great enough to support the industry.

And then, collapse. Well, except for Ninty, since they can just build a wall of $100 bills to fortify themselves.

Ninty doesn't need to worry. They have plenty of "stale, shitty sequels to stale, shitty games that have been stale and shitty for years" in Mario Party, SSB, Mario platformers, Mario Golf, Metroid, etc.

Oh, and no one insults other gamers based on the games they play. It doesn't happen.

Jesus on a fucking stick, I hope that was a joke.

Yes, Metroid hasn't changed at all. Especially when it went from side-scroller to FPS.

SSB has had two games, the first of which was a fairly original little title. Sure, it's stale and shitty now.

Mario Platformers haven't changed on iota. Nope, not with the progression 3D, new gameplay mechanics, and the future inclusion of motion controls.

And of course Mario Golf is and has been stale for years, with its all of two major home console versions and two handheld versions.

Yup. How dare I insults teh ninty!!

I don't know if you're serious or not, but I know I have been getting bored with Nintendo's recent outings. I couldn't finish Twilight Princess because it was the same game I already played three times before. Super Paper Mario... too easy and boring as hell. Metroid Prime 2 and Hunters, both boring and not worth it. Oh, and now that Nintendo has seen a taste of major success for the first time their PR is starting to sound like Sony PR, with trash talking and BS.

I love Nintendo and everything, but they are not the end all be all of gaming... they can be, and have been, just as bad as EA and others.

I'm glad someone said it because it's true. Remember when people went nuts when Gamespot gave it a 8+? i wouldn't even give the game an 8.

Yeah, I remember getting extremely worked up about that myself... then I played the game. I even forgot to put games like Starfox and Warioware on that list of stagnation. I remember people on these boards complaining about the three Jak games we got in a matter of three to four years... but overlook the five Warioware games we got within such a short timeframe.

JPS3 on
    On the subject of the Zero Punctuation Bioshock Review:
    Gyral wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    I didn't much care for the Bioshock review. It didn't deliver on the funnies like the previous reviews, but it wasn't bad.

The ending was very weak, though. Usually his videos have good endings.

Did you just review a review?

I found reVerse's review to be too short and a little light on content and quality. Still, his punctuation and sentence structure was better than most.
    Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    movie games suck because they usually have to b released when the movie is released. That and thy can't stray too far from the film. I blame publishers for the majority of the shit the gaming industry has, not the devs.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't buy a game because you told me to anyway. Mostly because I'd think you were trying to selling me shit to meet some kind of quota. I still stand by th point of offering games way outside a genre to buy is silly.

You just like being contrary, don't you? That, or you're entirely fucking dense. I seriously doubt anybody's stupid enough to think that an employee of a game store would work on commission, so that's out the window. And what part do you not get that we were having a general discussion about good games that they might enjoy? They ask, I answer. That fucking simple.

who said anything about commission? There are jobs where you have to sell a certain amount of shit and nly get to keep your job for doing so. Hell, ya'll do that with preorders and used games don't ya?

Also, do you not understand that having a "general' conversation might not be general to both parties? You could be having a general conversation with a woman, but she could think you're flirting when all you want to talk about is the damn weather.

1) Nobody operates on a quota for used games. There's a certain proportion they like, used games over new, but that's extremely easy to accomplish.

2) I am not mentally deficient. As such, I know enough about human interaction based purely on experience to subconciously understand the nuances of an interpersonal interaction.

What you're trying to do, instead of address the actual issue, is come up with excuses. You're excusing them because you want to attack me, or because you want to defend them. Neither of these things benefit the discussion at hand, and your assertions grounded from this position are entirely false.

false? How can my opinion of you offering games outside of a genre to someone be false? I think it's silly, that's all. I have no idea where you're getting all this shit from. No one called you stupid or claimed you were 'mentally deficient". There's no issue to address other than you boo hooing cause you could get someone to buy a game outside a genre of their general interest.

Opinions should ideally be based on adequate information. You do not have adequate information, and aren't making an opinion. Instead, you're making an assumption that I am too dense to understand the technicalities of interpersonal relations that just about every mentally competent individual understands on a subconcious level, and as such am unable to do anything but say "HAY U WUD LIKE TIS GAME ITS GOT PREDY GRAFIX AND IT IS FUN PLEEZE BY IT BEFORE I GET FIRED."

I can assure you, nothing like this took place. Thanks for your concern, stop making excuses for the Maddenites.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Opinions should ideally be based on adequate information. You do not have adequate information, and aren't making an opinion. Instead, you're making an assumption that I am too dense to understand the technicalities of interpersonal relations that just about every mentally competent individual understands on a subconcious level, and as such am unable to do anything but say "HAY U WUD LIKE TIS GAME ITS GOT PREDY GRAFIX AND IT IS FUN PLEEZE BY IT BEFORE I GET FIRED."

I can assure you, nothing like this took place. Thanks for your concern, stop making excuses for the Maddenites.

What in the hell are you even talking about?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    movie games suck because they usually have to b released when the movie is released. That and thy can't stray too far from the film. I blame publishers for the majority of the shit the gaming industry has, not the devs.

But then again, if people are going to buy the game anyway then why bother making it good? Just make it look good and don't allow reviews until well after release.

Thankfully there are still plenty of game makers out there who take pride in their work.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The real problem is this: they do not represent gamers. They represent the short, limited foray that the mass market has taken into gaming, but that's all. Developers have latched on because they come with more pockets.

When did this 'limited foray' start? Games have been mainstream since the ps1
    Madden games haven't changed on iota. Nope, not with the progression 3D, new gameplay mechanics, and the current inclusion of motion controls.

See what I did there?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

But then again, if people are going to buy the game anyway then why bother making it good? Just make it look good and don't allow reviews until well after release.

Thankfully there are still plenty of game makers out there who take pride in their work.

this is true

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    The real problem is this: they do not represent gamers. They represent the short, limited foray that the mass market has taken into gaming, but that's all. Developers have latched on because they come with more pockets.

Madden games haven't changed on iota. Nope, not with the progression 3D, new gameplay mechanics, and the current inclusion of motion controls.

See what I did there?

Mainstream? By what standard?

Also, Madden has had far more iterations than Mario has had in the main series. That's excluding all the external use of the liscense, just talking about the original Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros. and up through SMG. That, and the use of 3D in Madden games is not integral to the gameplay. Madden 07 could be entirely 2D, and the gameplay wouldn't change one bit.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

See what I did there?

Also, Madden has had far more iterations than Mario has had in the main series. That's excluding all the external use of the liscense, just talking about the original Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros. and up through SMG. That, and the use of 3D in Madden games is not integral to the gameplay. Madden 07 could be entirely 2D, and the gameplay wouldn't change one bit.

You have to be a joke account. Seriously.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    People who can't understand why people care enough about sports to buy madden every year should bear in mind that the vast majority of people can't understand why anyone cares enough about games to play them at all.

Modified.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

See what I did there?

By the standard that the ps1 was the first console to sell over 100 million units. And that generation sold ~150m combined. Repeat for the following generation.

You know, I played Madden on my Genesis and it was quite a bit different. Genesis I had a choice of three receivers and three audibles. Not to mention the players were in tiny windows on top of the screen, which did not allow me to see how far down the field they were. Also, there was no franchise management, trading players, player draft, or dynasty mode. In case you don't know, that isn't the case in 07.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

See what I did there?

WOW!!! Now I can call you fucking stupid.

You are FUCKING STUPID!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hah, thanks for proving my point. What the hell does any of that have to do with 2D to 3D? Can you only trade players if you have a 3D model of them?

Edit: Seriously, what would change? Aside from the graphics, you're still passing, running, or in some way manipulating a ball in a basic 2D environment. Back, forth, left, right. The only up-and-down applies to the ball, but that was simulated fine in 2D. It hasn't changed the gameplay.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hah, thanks for proving my point. What the hell does any of that have to do with 2D to 3D? Can you only trade players if you have a 3D model of them?

Just... step away from your keyboard.

Trust me, it'll do you some good.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

For one, there are physics which are really hard to do with 2D. 3D also allows you to get a better view of the game instead of being forced to have a fixed perspective.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Well, actually I did mention the thing about the receiver windows. That was because it was limited to 2d. Or they could go the Tecmo Bowl route and make the players literally take up a quarter of the field's width just so you can see them and the entire field. This leads to it being impossible to evade tackles.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Manipulating the camera is an element of three dimensions, but it doesn't change much other than the camera itself. The one thing that it has allowed, however, is that first-person view you see in the ESPN ones. At the beginning of a snap, you're still popped back in to that top-down view. 3D has brought some little things, as you've mentioned, but nothing that absolutely changed the way the game was played.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Edit: Seriously, what would change? Aside from the graphics, you're still passing, running, or in some way manipulating a ball in a basic 2D environment. Back, forth, left, right. The only up-and-down applies to the ball, but that was simulated fine in 2D. It doesn't changed the gameplay.

Yeah you're done

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yikes. I hereby promise to use the term "Joe Average" in my future references to very mainstream gamers, for the greater good of humanity. Apparently.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Dur dur durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Manipulating the camera is an element of three dimensions, but it doesn't change much other than the camera itself. The one thing that it has allowed, however, is that first-person view you see in the ESPN ones. At the beginning of a snap, you're still popped back in to that top-down view. 3D has brought some little things, as you've mentioned, but nothing that absolutely changed the way the game was played.

Perhaps, but that is your opinion. "Little things" to you were huge things to me when the first 3D Madden came out.

Much like someone's opinion about Mario in 3D might be the same. I mean, you still jump on Goombas and collect coins, no? It's easy to say the gameplay hasn't changed

DesertBox on
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Joe Average is a big Naruto fan. We just don't want to admit it.

(And wonder hippie is right, you guys are nuts for not seeing his point)

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Edit: Seriously, what would change? Aside from the graphics, you're still passing, running, or in some way manipulating a ball in a basic 2D environment. Back, forth, left, right. The only up-and-down applies to the ball, but that was simulated fine in 2D. It hasn't changed the gameplay.

Gears would be the same shit in 2D too. i mean, you're just shooting shit and hiding behind blocks. Hell, Descent would have been the same in 2D too. Why even waste time in the 3rd Dimension? It's obviously all the same shit.

Now, 4D... that's where it's at!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Here's a novel idea; instead of saying I'm stupid, try actually providing something that was fundamentally different in the gameplay between the 2D and 3D iterations of Madden. First person perspective? I'll cede that, but it's not present in all the 3D games and is only an optional way to play in a handful of them. The ability to manipulate the camera is just panning across an essentially 2D environment, and the physics don't change anything but the way the ball bounces when it lands, which can still be simulated in 2D, even if it is a bit harder. The gameplay itself is still 2D, and none of you have actually provided evidence otherwise.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Here's a novel idea; instead of saying I'm stupid, try actually providing something that was fundamentally different in the gameplay between the 2D and 3D iterations of Madden. First person perspective? I'll cede that, but it's not present in all the 3D games and is only an optional way to play in a handful of them. The ability to manipulate the camera is just panning across an essentially 2D environment, and the physics don't change anything but the way the ball bounces when it lands, which can still be simulated in 2D, even if it is a bit harder. The gameplay itself is still 2D, and none of you have actually provided evidence otherwise.

O_o Have you ever played Madden or any 3D football game?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Do you understand the concept of dimensional space?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The ability to manipulate the camera is just panning across an essentially 2D environment, and the physics don't change anything but the way the ball bounces when it lands, which can still be simulated in 2D, even if it is a bit harder. The gameplay itself is still 2D, and none of you have actually provided evidence otherwise.

The ability to manipulate the camera is a huge deal. Imagine trying to play doom from an isometric perspective. It would be a different game even if the enemy placement was the same. You cannot simulate the ball to even close to the same degree in 2D. 3D also allows for more precise movements that wouldn't be possible in 2D.

Couscous on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Everything with physics involved in it.

Jumping, diving, ball trajectory, ball bounces, tackles.

All of those things are greatly GREATLY improved by having the game be 3D.

Some of these things aren't even possible in 2D.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Do you understand the concept of dimensional space?

Shit, do you?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2007
    alright, I'm locking this before it gets any more pathetic

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.