As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Doc wrote: »
    He is making the argument that it specifically is emminent domain hacks.

But if it is then so is the eviction hold. Its the hold and not the commerce restriction that is the emminent domain issue

Either way. If they sue and win we can tax them the amount back

That'd be tough without getting every non-landlord property owner in the crossfire.

But if it is then so is the eviction hold. Its the hold and not the commerce restriction that is the emminent domain issue

That'd be tough without getting every non-landlord property owner in the crossfire.

Theyre already in the crossfire, being unable to kick out current tennents.

I mean that I'm not positive that they can write taxlegislation that targets properties selectively enough to accomplish this goal without throwing Joe Homeowner under the bus. Besides that, if expenses go up across all properties, you can expect a similar rise in rents as well.

But then, maybe kicking the can down the road is good enough at the moment.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Theyre already in the crossfire, being unable to kick out current tennents.

I mean that I'm not positive that they can write taxlegislation that targets properties selectively enough to accomplish this goal without throwing Joe Homeowner under the bus. Besides that, if expenses go up across all properties, you can expect a similar rise in rents as well.

But then, maybe kicking the can down the road is good enough at the moment.

I would rather try it than not. Given we do not have the authority to implement cash payments in excess of our budget but we do have authority to call a rent strike. If we have to general tax in response (or have the state declare bankruptcy) that is better than the alternative. Additionally the resulting court case would be difficult for the petitioners and it would be very easy for the state to lowball the resulting eminent domain assessments while its much harder for the state to lowball rent payments and much easier for landlords to exploit it.

As an example. If the state loses it gets to use state tax assessments of property as the base of the payment. Which it can modify to be higher or lower (even though the law says it must be based on the market) as it deems necessary. Additionally the rate of interest it can assign could be at the market rate for washington state bonds rather than the market rate for loans in general. Whereas the rental rate would surely be higher than this.

A general tax would not be ideal because our general taxes are regressive. But its better than the alternative

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/

Fingers crossed, everyone.

Washington is only reporting 260 new cases today after reporting 288 cases yesterday. To put that in perspective, all the only states in the top 11 are reporting at least 800 new cases so far today.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/

Fingers crossed, everyone.

Washington is only reporting 260 new cases today after reporting 288 cases yesterday. To put that in perspective, all the only states in the top 11 are reporting at least 800 new cases so far today.

Tweeter is a writer.

I’ve heard them Bat-diseases can withstand a fever, but the cold shoulder everybody in western Washington is born with is proving super effective.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Just like everyone in this area is like "uhh depression from social isolation? Yeah right uhh yeah struggling."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    my brother lives in washington and it makes me feel better to know that you guys have been able to keep shit under control

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    We're all depressed and smoking weed why would we leave the house

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

To buy flour, milk, eggs, and more cocoa powder to make brownies with edibles...

EDIT - although, with AmazonFresh, guess we really don't need to house anymore for brownie making staples.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

To buy flour, milk, eggs, and more cocoa powder to make brownies with edibles...

EDIT - although, with AmazonFresh, guess we really don't need to house anymore for brownie making staples.

... I should make some brownies.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    When I’m not working, I’m being as Seattle As Possible™

- sleeping 12 hours a day
    - watching the rain
    - drinking coffee
    - smoking pot
    - baking pastries
    - playing video games
    - drinking bourbon
    - never leaving the house

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I'm up in Bham, and can confirm that list applies up here too. Stay safe, and remember that we're stronger apart ;)

Like no joke this thing sucks so incredibly much and yet I'm really proud of my state and this little slice of it, you guys rock and the sharing of news from you all down in Seattle has been helpful through all this.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm on kid duty from 7am to 8pm everyday. Weekends mean nothing. Time is a blur. I don't drink or smoke. Maybe I should...

...wait, it's only just now April?! FUCK!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm on kid duty from 7am to 8pm everyday. Weekends mean nothing. Time is a blur. I don't drink or smoke. Maybe I should...

...wait, it's only just now April?! FUCK!

I woke up this morning and literally could not remember the day of the week because I couldn't remember what yesterday was, either.

Turns out that, for me, it was a Tuesday.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    https://github.com/guga31bb/covid19

That is the webpage for that chart in case anyone wanted it. Updates daily.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

- watching the rain
    - drinking coffee
    - smoking pot
    - baking pastries
    - playing video games
    - drinking bourbon

I wish I could get the Seattle rain without the Seattle prices :<

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

- watching the rain
    - drinking coffee
    - smoking pot
    - baking pastries
    - playing video games
    - drinking bourbon

*sob*

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

People need to learn to use log scales darnit!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

- watching the rain
    - drinking coffee
    - smoking pot
    - baking pastries
    - playing video games
    - drinking bourbon

*sob*

Hey you’re still in Washington at least?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

People need to learn to use log scales darnit!

I like this one: https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

- watching the rain
    - drinking coffee
    - smoking pot
    - baking pastries
    - playing video games
    - drinking bourbon

*sob*

Hey you’re still in Washington at least?

Maryland.

I get to pass through a Washington on the way to work.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

- watching the rain
    - drinking coffee
    - smoking pot
    - baking pastries
    - playing video games
    - drinking bourbon

There's always Tacoma or Olympia

Carpy on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I got my first Official Pandemic Unemployment check, today. All things considered, Washington's system has done a fairly good job of providing timely payments during the crisis. This week's unemployment payment (which pays next week) should see the $600 boost from the Feds. Hopefully.

Also, rent is due. Happy Rent Day, everyone! :?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Got my $300 bonus from work today, also we're now getting an extra $2 per hour for three weeks at least starting this week.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

- watching the rain
    - drinking coffee
    - smoking pot
    - baking pastries
    - playing video games
    - drinking bourbon

Maybe eventually.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I got my first Official Pandemic Unemployment check, today. All things considered, Washington's system has done a fairly good job of providing timely payments during the crisis. This week's unemployment payment (which pays next week) should see the $600 boost from the Feds. Hopefully.

Meanwhile, my unemployment is still pending (requiring additional research/review from WA state) after two weeks. I can schedule a call from their offices though to resolve this.

The next available time for them to call would be... *checks website* May 5th at 9 a.m.

So instead I sent a hopeless email...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Meanwhile, my unemployment is still pending (requiring additional research/review from WA state) after two weeks. I can schedule a call from their offices though to resolve this.

The next available time for them to call would be... *checks website* May 5th at 9 a.m.

So instead I sent a hopeless email...

The state is pretty quick about processing my claim because I have years of claims already in their system. If this is your first time filing, they can take a while. In this moment in time, I'm sure that first time process is going to take even longer. 😬

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Hacksaw on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

- watching the rain
    - drinking coffee
    - smoking pot
    - baking pastries
    - playing video games
    - drinking bourbon

Maybe eventually.

I know what you mean. Every time I've thought about moving back I run into the problem where I can either work for the state in Oly or work private sector in Seattle. Maybe I'll land a remote job one of these days and that problem will solve itself.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Its official were in for another month. Or as most people call it "fuck april"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Good thing my unemployment benefits continue paying through the end of Summer/beginning of Autumn; at least when the new seasons for the theaters start up, I might be able to get on a show for a month or two.

I hope.

• Options
    Good thing my unemployment benefits continue paying through the end of Summer/beginning of Autumn; at least when the new seasons for the theaters start up, I might be able to get on a show for a month or two.

I hope.

We're hiring 15 spots currently at my store. They're non-union spots, but it's work.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Washington state officials commandeered a bankrupt hospital in Yakima that had been closed in January to create more capacity for COVID-19 patients.

I should probably provide more commentary, something about Democratic governors still trying to take care of more Republican leaning citizens which isn't being reciprocated the other way, or something about how more local and state governments should be doing things like this, but all I can really squeeze out right now is, "Good."

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »

I hope.

We're hiring 15 spots currently at my store. They're non-union spots, but it's work.

I cannot reasonably take non-union work right now without getting serious side eye from my union siblings; I'm a member my union's Executive Board, and it would look reallllly bad if I did that. :bigfrown:

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    I'll say that I don't understand what the medium term plan is. Long term, we hope for a vaccine, or that enough people have built immunity that the number of new cases stay low, on the short term we isolate as to not overwhelm the health system, but as soon as stop that, cases will spike again. We're not infecting people at a rate to build herd immmunity before 1 -2 years, which seems to be the same timeline for a vaccine anyway, and I find it unlikely that we can keep the current isolation for that long.

• Options
    Also, May. Fuck.

Being an essential worker, yes I'm glad to be working. I'm making more money than normal during this, however my every work day is a constant stress factory of trying to keep my distance from customers and coworkers when I'm not locked in my office. The only outside media is people who aren't working going crazy in their isolation. My stress relief is working out, but there's no gym anymore, so I'm gonna start converting my apartment into a gym, I think.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    I'll say that I don't understand what the medium term plan is. Long term, we hope for a vaccine, or that enough people have built immunity that the number of new cases stay low, on the short term we isolate as to not overwhelm the health system, but as soon as stop that, cases will spike again. We're not infecting people at a rate to build herd immmunity before 1 -2 years, which seems to be the same timeline for a vaccine anyway, and I find it unlikely that we can keep the current isolation for that long.

Medium term is better testing, to the point that we can reliably say that there's no community spread. That lets us reopen many businesses, presumably with some restrictions, then jump on any infections that show up. This will probably result in a bunch of quarantine orders whenever someone tests positive, but those won't cover the entire state.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I hope that for the next election, Inslee's unofficial campaign slogan can just be "Fuck you, Tim Eyman."

Just cut straight to the point.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular

Medium term is better testing, to the point that we can reliably say that there's no community spread. That lets us reopen many businesses, presumably with some restrictions, then jump on any infections that show up. This will probably result in a bunch of quarantine orders whenever someone tests positive, but those won't cover the entire state.

Seems that will only work if the asymptomatic transmission isn't that widespread - unless we have a way to sample the asymptomatic population?

As an aside, I wonder if you can search for the virus DNA on sewer water as an indicator of the spread on the population at large.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Seems that will only work if the asymptomatic transmission isn't that widespread - unless we have a way to sample the asymptomatic population?

As an aside, I wonder if you can search for the virus DNA on sewer water as an indicator of the spread on the population at large.

Apparently that sort of thing is how we got a handle on polio.

This discussion has been closed.