Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Running a Win95 game on Windows 8 [Solved!]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentChantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
edited March 1 in Help / Advice Forum
So I grabbed this at a swap meet:

20190224_1028270.jpg?width=440&height=591

This game is Old.

Untitled.png

Folder contents:
unknown.png?width=400&height=207

I tried compatibility mode, but no dice; it only does Win 95, this needs 3.1.

I have DOSBox thanks to GOG games, but it says it has to be run under Win32. Is DOSBox my best bet, or should I try another avenue?

9LlOwgn.png
Well, good morning. Welcome to the new scenario. What should we do today?
cj iwakura on

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Win95 and 3.1 run on DOS so you should be able to run them in DOSBOX and run it that way.

Elvenshae
  • DonnictonDonnicton Hey it's me, your old pal Movie Sonic - let me in. LEMME IN. Registered User regular
    If it's Windows 3.1/95 then it's very likely going to be a 16-bit Windows program, which will never ever run on a 64-bit OS. You will need either a virtual machine, an actual old machine, or(but I can't make promises on this one) a 32-bit version of Windows 8/10 with NTVDM enabled to run 16-bit applications.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Win95 and 3.1 run on DOS so you should be able to run them in DOSBOX and run it that way.

I tried, it gave me an error. Do I need a special version?

9LlOwgn.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Hey it's me, your old pal Movie Sonic - let me in. LEMME IN. Registered User regular
    If you can filter through the childish bickering you can try what's laid out here.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=44878

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    You are going to livestream and record your playthrough of this game interactive experience, right?

Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    You are going to livestream and record your playthrough of this game interactive experience, right?

If I get it running, sure.

9LlOwgn.png
    Inquisitor77
    This is what DOSBox tells me:
    unknown.png?width=609&height=412

9LlOwgn.png
    Progress...

unknown.png?width=400&height=273

TLDR - I found a shell for Win 3.1 that you run INSIDE DosBox. OSception, yeesh.

9LlOwgn.png
    Siskachrishallett83
    After an hour of struggling...

unknown.png?width=400&height=300

The captain has denied my request to stay on board. :D

9LlOwgn.png
    Inquisitor77ElvenshaeCelestialBadgerShadowfireSiskaMichaelLCchrishallett83ani_game_bumJaysonFourJazzMugsley