Options

New [Fashion] thread. Quite stylish.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you want fancy, go blue.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    The black one is what I would imagine a Sith lord to wear during his personal time

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    chico I don't like all your agrees in favor of blue, you have a clear bias

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I went out and bought my third pair of Merrils today, after walking my first two pairs to death. I like 'em a lot.

Merrills are my go to, all-weather, walking and/or trails shoe. Super comfy, solid construction, and good traction. Substitute Keens as needed.

But if you want an otherwise good walking shoe any decent pair of running shoes will fit the bill.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The second one for sure would be my dressing gown pick.

The first one looks too plush to me, like wearing a comforter.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The first one because then you get a top hat and cosplay as Uncle Scrooge.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The second one for sure would be my dressing gown pick.

The first one looks too plush to me, like wearing a comforter.

it looks like doctor strange's dressing gown, which personally is a good thing

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You all need to fix the contrast on your screens, because you clearly can't see the rad Deus Ex Human Revolution paisley patterns on the black robe.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The black one definitely looks more sinister, which is what I'd be aiming for in a dressing gown.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    sure, if you're going for Eliza Cassan.
    you want to look like anyone in DXHR, you want these:
    s960701121409733683_p586_i19_w1000.jpeg
    s960701121409733683_p926_i26_w467.jpeg
    the quilted collar as subtle texture contrast is key.
    though patternwise, i think the jacquard is more pertinent than paisley :
    s960701121409733683_p540_i19_w1000.jpeg
    https://web.archive.org/web/20121014001112/http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Fashion-of-Deus-Ex
    https://web.archive.org/web/20121029072454/http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Designing-Women

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Damn that jacquard one is... tempting

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    they cost an unreasonable amount of money

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    More adventure in updating my look. This weekend I donated really 75% of my clothes that no longer fit me so now it's time to rebuild.

Very few things give me anxiety as clothes shopping.

The mixture of not growing up being able to spend money on clothes and never being comfortable in my body means I second guess every purchase.

Took me a while to settle on these pieces but I think they work pretty okay! I think the light blue v neck is the only one that didn't work too well.

te8xyycebzc6.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    that patterned shirt works well on you

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Love the orange pants! Especially with the light colored button up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    personally i am extremely feeling the orange pants with dark blue button up

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I normally worn just denim or black jeans so both jean colors were outside my norm but the orange ones were really a leap for me, which I'm trying to do more.

I'm glad it paid off, and yeah, I think them with the dark blue button up is my favorite combo of them all.

Dumb question but what color shoe would work best with that combo? I also bought a pair of white ones which I think may go okay?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I normally worn just denim or black jeans so both jean colors were outside my norm but the orange ones were really a leap for me, which I'm trying to do more.

I'm glad it paid off, and yeah, I think them with the dark blue button up is my favorite combo of them all.

Dumb question but what color shoe would work best with that combo? I also bought a pair of white ones which I think may go okay?

Some tan bucks would look stellar I think.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

Some tan bucks would look stellar I think.

Yeah, you probably want something that'll compliment but not overtake the pants since they're bright/the focus, so I'd think brown or tan would be a good pick

Uh, past that I don't know much about mens' shoes, but I agree the orange/dark blue is the best combo!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    https://www.alternativeapparel.com sitewide 50% off if u need some cheap basics or or lounge or workout clothes or tees

poo
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I've been toying with the idea of getting a shemagh or keffiyah but there are a few things stopping me

1. Is it too extra? Could I wear one without looking like one of those Obey hat wearing dudes who's trying real hard to be an influencer?

2. Would that be cultural appropriation?

I like scarves but I'm limited to the winter months while a shemagh seems to work year round and can add a little extra something to a casual outfit. I just dunno if it's too much something.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I've been toying with the idea of getting a shemagh or keffiyah but there are a few things stopping me

1. Is it too extra? Could I wear one without looking like one of those Obey hat wearing dudes who's trying real hard to be an influencer?

I like scarves but I'm limited to the winter months while a shemagh seems to work year round and can add a little extra something to a casual outfit. I just dunno if it's too much something.

Is a Shemagh an everyday piece of clothing? If so I think its fine. Functional clothing is functional. I googled it and it seems like a real useful piece of clothing! As long as you wear it when appropriate you should be good.

This would be contrasted against say a white dude wearing a Kimono at inappropriate times because they are trying to telegraph that they really want to be Japanese, versus having one they wear at home because its comfy.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    My original thought was I could wear it over my mask but then I was also like, I could just have it loose around my shoulders if I wanted to.

They seem cool but it's one of those things where I dunno if I have the appropriate energy to rock. They don't seem all that expensive so maybe I'll get one and then try it in my home and decide if I can make it work or if I look like a chode.

• Options
    My original thought was I could wear it over my mask but then I was also like, I could just have it loose around my shoulders if I wanted to.

They seem cool but it's one of those things where I dunno if I have the appropriate energy to rock. They don't seem all that expensive so maybe I'll get one and then try it in my home and decide if I can make it work or if I look like a chode.

There might even be a fashion thread where you can garner opinions from your peers.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

There might even be a fashion thread where you can garner opinions from your peers.

that sounds insane what do nerds know about fashion

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If I ever go to a barbershop again, I need to find one that knows how to trim beards.

My previous shop always took too much off of the top

https://youtu.be/nVY_hvAkmSY

• Options
    If I ever go to a barbershop again, I need to find one that knows how to trim beards.

My previous shop always took too much off of the top

https://youtu.be/nVY_hvAkmSY

The beard to clean shave video is fun too.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

that sounds insane what do nerds know about fashion
    You find a fashion nerd, they're gonna know way too much about it

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2021

TL;DR: Worn with knowledge of the cultural associations, and buying from makers of that culture helps to mitigate questions of appropriation. Since it is seemingly a practical garment and not a sacred one, it's less likely to stir resentment, especially when worn by people aware of its origins. A scarf is a very practical garment, especially a gauzy cotton that can be wrapped and layered as needed; the particular patterns and colors are what are subject to inappropriate usage.

Fwiw, it seems to pop up as a consistent question on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/arabs/comments/glimxm/question_about_wearing_a_shemagh/

There's never 100% consensus, but it seems to be something allowed to foreigners, elaborated on elsewhere like so:
    "Cultural identity is a sensibility deeply embedded within. It can't be easily worn authentically by those who are not Palestinian without trampling on and co-opting for oneself the expression of Palestinian identity. Allies are important, but true allies know their place and where their experience is limited."

For the record, this is not about who "owns" or is "allowed" to wear the keffiyeh. It is a reminder that some garments are inextricably linked to certain to cultures and histories, and to capitalise on them without the knowledge, sensitivity or respect shown towards them is just inappropriate and offensive.

Apparently black and white ones are associated with Palestine. Tribal associations abound. But there are probably neutral patterns or colorways that would allow you to wear it without any offense or signalling, tho without due diligence, you're likely getting into knockoff territory. You want to avoid some aspects of appropriation, buy from traditional producers such as https://hirbawiusa.com/

image_64c248d3-210a-402e-a2bb-a12bb48682d1_1080x.jpg?v=1590403944
    "Yay Rainbow! Who doesn't like rainbows?! Most fun colored kufiya!"
    Indeed.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    For the palestine version this is the only palestine company producing and exporting them
    https://www.hirbawi.ps/

edit: Ah, yeah, now I see that's the same as in Pooka's post

honovere on
  • Options
    Hmm may be best to just avoid it, really.

I'm still not convinced I'm not too Irish lookin to even pull one off let alone do so while skirting that fine a line. Also, they seem to be real big with the tacticool pew pew bros which is gross. I guess a bunch of Navy Seals or spec ops or whatever started wearing them while in Afghanistan.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    okay, "too Irish lookin" ain't fly with me as a negative.
    i know it's self-deprecating 'humor', but you're insulting yourself, which isn't cool, and insulting others.
    (and i also happen to find several Irish folk attractive. you are also attractive. dwi.)

i don't find it a particularly fine line; support a (almost invariably struggling to compete with corporations) native artisan, buy the color you like and be prepared to answer the question if someone asks. show respect and you will go far.

by and large, you buy from a native maker, they're not going to sell you something you shouldn't have; i might sell a stranger a beaded turkey feather, but no way in hell am i selling a beaded eagle feather. and I'll likely include a quick lesson on how to use it, because educating your customer on your product is just good business. i'm being a bit cheeky, but not everyone has capacity for that emotional labor -- but i digress.

it's up to you, but i saw several presumably culturally-invested folks around the internet "Who cares?" at the question, or saying they wouldn't mind or would be pleased to see someone wearing keffiyeh in a Western country. https://www.reddit.com/r/arabs/comments/2xl0io/westerners_wearing_keffiyehs/.

like i said, it is difficult to find consensus, but i think that is largely a function of it being a practical item. if you were wanting to wear a religious garment, i suspect a trend towards, "no, unless of that religion or in circumstance that prescribes its wear." which is why there were several comments about the black and white version being specifically tied to Palestine -- not explicitly religious in this case, but ideological; i would only wear that one to express solidarity with Palestine, tho there's an argument to be made for the Middle East region as a whole for those unaware of the color associations.

yes, military folk who go to the desert --Brits, US, whatever-- find scarves to be very practical garments, and those who emulate them will ape that. (as an Army brat, i will say that people in that world are just as likely to have made friends there who gifted them with a shemagh; despite everything, it's not 100% colonialism.) if you don't like its tacticool use, co-opt their markers and be vocally different. widen the usage beyond them, and bring the habit closer to its original cultural usage, ie errybody. if someone were appropriating a religious or restricted cultural artifact, i would not suggest this, but it is seemingly a secular scarf.

not to diminish the actual importance, but as a simple metaphor, the assholes shouldn't get to make the rules and take all the toys; the toys should go back to the original owners, and shared out as they please.
    i have similar thoughts on those lamenting the loss of Hawaiian shirts (hmm..) and certain haircuts to fascists -- they should not be allowed to control any narrative, even if it makes some of them easier to identify. symbols are powerful, and i tend to favor anything that muddies fascist mythmaking and its influence.
    i'll reiterate: appreciation is respect for the cultural craft & context by buying from a native maker, and taking only what is allowed or freely given.

now, it's always possible for a POC to be racist, and blithely ignore the sensitivities of other cultures, but my peoples are one of the most visibly and obviously appropriated, and that's my perspective. (headdresses are not fashion accessories. feathers are sacred and cultural symbols, so if you're gonna wear them, do not emulate Hollywood Indian modes of doing so. don't buy white sage, if only because it's being illegally overharvested because of fads. for GAWDSAKES don't hang a dreamcatcher on your rearview mirror, but that's a pan-Indian thing so commodified, i can't muster the energy to be more than irritated every time i see an inappropriate dreamcatcher.)

you can find yourself a rectangle of gauzy cotton and call it a day. you could literally just buy some fabric and hem the edges and, boom, scarf!

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I found my favorite mask again after washing it a while ago
    9p1ek0zpodwx.jpg

• Options
    Wore one of my new outfits out yesterday.

It is def more bold than I'm used to and i did do a double take when I first caught a reflection of myself but I also got plenty of compliments on the pieces.

Gonna chalk it up in the win column.

a2zdn2o2b892.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I shaved my beard this morning... Bye bye beard.

• Options
    Feeling myself today.
    7lape7w1pqbv.jpg
    Look, I meant to do a peace sign, but selfies make me awkward, I'm not doing another.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    looking cool

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Wore one of my new outfits out yesterday.

It is def more bold than I'm used to and i did do a double take when I first caught a reflection of myself but I also got plenty of compliments on the pieces.

Gonna chalk it up in the win column.

a2zdn2o2b892.jpg
    the pants are nice, but that shirt is Very Good

e:
    also, i have worn this me-made caftan
    pooka wrote: »
    IMG_20210305_192216156_HDR_medium2.jpg
    with the letter jacket above -- my brother-in-law expressed surprise at them going together well, and i nonchalantly quoted a line from Ted Lasso which went right over his head as a reference, but my sister caught & started laughing.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    pooka is so dashing my stars

• Options
    Today I learned about the beer buckle

It's a belt buckle that turns into a cup holder for your beer.

Behold

x0xfz33b2556.jpg

The photo is blurry but you get the gist it's incredible