Options

O_O Keith Flint, the singer of prodigy is dead. R.I.P.

FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
Prodigy singer Keith Flint dies, aged 49
Keith Flint, vocalist with the Prodigy, has died at the age of 49, it has been reported.

The singer was found dead at his home in Essex on Monday.

An Essex police spokesman confirmed that a 49-year-old man had died. “We were called to concerns for the welfare of a man at an address in Brook Hill, North End, just after 8.10am on Monday,” he said. “We attended and, sadly, a 49-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed. The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.”

With his punk aesthetic of spiked hair and intense stare, Flint became one of the UK’s most iconic musical figures in the 1990s. He joined the Prodigy – originally formed by Liam Howlett in 1990 – as a dancer, later becoming a frontman alongside rapper Maxim. Aside from their 1992 debut, all of the group’s seven albums have reached No 1 in the UK, the most recent being No Tourists, released in November 2018. Flint performed the vocals on the Prodigy’s best known singles, Firestarter and Breathe, which both went to No 1 in 1996 – the former became their biggest US hit, and the group are often credited with helping to break dance music into the mainstream in the country.
Tributes have been made from his peers, including Ed Simons of dance duo the Chemical Brothers, who called him a “great man”.

He later went on to become a motorcycle racing team owner and manager.

I'm just....stunned. He's 49 which is no age at all. There have been absolutely no news of Keith falling off the wagon (ie, going back to his drug habits) or being ill. So I'm pretty darn stunned. The Prodigy was a huge part of my childhood god damn it and he was only a decade older than me.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
-Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden

• Options
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Wow. This hit harder than I would have ever guessed. I had a poster of him on my wall in high school.

What sad news.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My uncle has the exact same name so this was extra strange to see.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    The official Prodigy insta calls it a suicide. Man, that sucks :(

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Motherfucker. Why's it have to be a suicide?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    el_vicio wrote: »
    The official Prodigy insta calls it a suicide. Man, that sucks :(

It's pretty depressing that the instant I saw the headline I immediately assumed it was suicide.

Prodigy were a defining part of my teens. Watching their old videos makes me smile, 90s as fuck. Sad sad news.

https://youtu.be/rmHDhAohJlQ

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Also, it's pretty insane how long they stayed relevant.
    They released Charly, Everybody in the Place and Out of Space in 1991. They topped the charts with The Day Is My Enemy in 2015.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Woah.

They had just put out new music and were touring again too.

Dang.

• Options
    I know electronic music was much bigger overseas but thinking about it this morning, I really can't overstate how the Prodigy, and specifically Keith Flint, really just completely rocked my world with sounds I had literally never heard before.

I had heard "dance" music before but it was all cheesy dance music, or instrumental computer nonsense.

When I first heard Firestarter it was like - what are these SOUNDS? I couldn't wrap my head around it because I had no idea how it was created. And Keith being such a cool looking punk rock guy made it somehow more "acceptable" to me. Like, legit - this was a "band" and not some guy with a computer making bleeps and bloops.

From Prodigy I found Chemical Brothers and Crystal Method and it may be the last band that opened me up to an entirely new sound.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Seriously.

the Prodigy was such a big part of my middle school years and a big gateway into electronic music for me.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Seriously.

the Prodigy was such a big part of my middle school years and a big gateway into electronic music for me.

Yeah, while I have moved away from the kind of music The Prodigy has put out they were hugely influential to me and really opened up my musical world.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Man 49 is very young. Hopefully he went out being punk and fucking the system.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The Narcotic Suite is just about the only electronic music I've ever enjoyed. man, poor guy and I feel terrible for all his family, friends, and fans

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Similar to @mxmarks The Prodigy played a huge part in me and my old school buddies getting electronic music, Hip-Hop, Dub etc. and, I guess, played a big part in the people we became.

They introduced me to Kool Keith and Lee Perry by sampling them on the same song (Out of Space).

Keith's passing has hit me in a way I wasn't expecting.
    Xaquin wrote: »
    The Narcotic Suite is just about the only electronic music I've ever enjoyed. man, poor guy and I feel terrible for all his family, friends, and fans

This is probably my favourite track from Jilted Generation (which is a really good album by the way)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJVn5Pk4e-w

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Jilted Generation, Experience, and Fat of the Land were all absolute bangers

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've been saying this with increasing frequency, but seriously, in the realm of music all my heroes are dead.

Some levity to his legacy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq31ieJEX3U

• Options
    Seems like Luke Perry also passed away today. The 90s is hurting, badly.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I wish that, during the Prodigy's prime, I'd been able to appreciate them as the awesome, innovative band they were rather than being like "no man, dance music is lame"

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I will always think of Smack my Bitch Up when I think of Vegeta Vs Android 18. So many Linkin Park and Prodigy music videos back in the AMV days.

Flint was always the big visual identity of the Prodigy for me. I'm sad that he didn't feel he could get help.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I wish that, during the Prodigy's prime, I'd been able to appreciate them as the awesome, innovative band they were rather than being like "no man, dance music is lame"

They did opened a door for me into a genre that I didn't appreciate at the time so I didn't miss that boat. What I do regret is not following after. It sounds like there is a discography I should really go back and explore as they continually put out albums that were well regarded but I wandered more to the acts they helped me find rather than the one that got me there.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Fuck, this sucks. Fat of The Land was the first album I ever bought. Feels like a lifetime ago.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I remember seeing "Baby's Got a Temper" pop up on Spotify a few years back (shit it came out in 2002?!) And being like wow they still got it!

Song is all Keith and has been a steady staple in my pump up mixes since.

It samples firestarter in a cool way and really feels like a sequel to that song.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Fat of the Land is still a staple for me

This is a bummer, but it is nice to know that they have more of a catalogue I should check out

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/gNbx6iF-vQI

As with most things I remember Wierd Al jesting on him before seeing/hearing the real thing. After that Breathe was a major pump up song for my brother's minor hockey team.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I remember reading he owned a pub and made people put money in the swear jar every time they cursed, and that he was a delight to work with on tours because he brought so much energy to the stage with his amped performances. It saddens me how little credit entertainers of his quality, less known as they are, get for being so critical to their audiences' enjoyment of these otherwise niche interests. I'm sad he's gone, but glad he made enough of an impact to get noticed at all. If the stories I've been told of The Prodigy's concerts are to be believed, this dude deserves all the praise he got, and then some.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I always liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svJvT6ruolA

Shows Flint going absolutely nuts on the dance floor, too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube wrote: »

Luckily I managed to get into them with Jilted Generation because the son of the babysitter I went to after school was really into them. So at age 9 or so in 1994 I wasn't in the "anything but dance and rap" phase of my teens.

I managed to wear out my CD of Jilted Generation and I remember the case of Experience just disintegrating one time from being opened and having the CD taken out too many times

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options