As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

︽✵︽ Grunge is a good look for [Captain Marvel] ︽✵︽

JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in Social Entropy++
Marvel finally put out a movie headlined by a woman y’all. Also, it cracked $153M domestically and $455M total in its opening weekend, surprising no-one of importance

k5mlnt73ee7r.jpg

Carol Danvers is played by Oscar winner Brie Larson. Her sidekick is a younger Nick Fury, played by a de-aged Samuel L. Jackson. Jude Law and Ben Mendelsohn are also there, along with Annette Benning

Please discuss below how much love you would bestow upon Goose the kitty

Joolander on

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    This movie was a whole lot of fun and I'm glad we finally get someone who can shoot fuckin' lasers out of their hands in a comic book movie.

• Options
    Also if y’all were wondering why they released this in March, it’s because March 8th was International Women’s Day

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This was a fun movie.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Also if y’all were wondering why they released this in March, it’s because March 8th was International Women’s Day

No oooooo shit. I did not put that together.

I love comic book movies.

Deadpool gets pegged on International Women's Day and then we get Captain Marvel.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The more I think about this movie the more I dont just think it wasnt very good but is kind of actively insulting

it took marvel a decade to make a woman lead film

she has almost no personality in the film and every girl power moment is as flat and unearned as an episode of a Saturday morning cartoon that reminds the boy characters that girls are good too, actually

it feels incredibly limp and they should and could have done better

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I try real hard not to say anything that invalidates someone's honest feelings about a movie, so I'll just say again that I thought she had a ton of personality, and I'm really sorry nothing clicked for you Chincy

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    And while it does not make your feelings invalid, there are a TON of reactions all over social media from women who found the movie and its big moments empowering as fuck (my partner being one of them) so while you may not have enjoyed them at least a sizable portion of the intended audience for the film had them land

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I also agree that the movie could've been better in a lot of ways, including how it served the character of Carol herself! But I absolutely thought Larson brought her to life

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It made me more excited to see Endgame based on the promise of having more of the character, so at the very least the movie accomplished its mission

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    And while it does not make your feelings invalid, there are a TON of reactions all over social media from women who found the movie and its big moments empowering as fuck (my partner being one of them) so while you may not have enjoyed them at least a sizable portion of the intended audience for the film had them land

and a lot of women, including my wife, thought it sucked

anything this big is of course going to have the full gamut of responses

Im only giving mine, which is that I feel like they dropped the ball really hard

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    My daughter absolutely loved this movie. She was literally dancing in her seat at times while watching it. A few hours after we got back home she was doing running jumps and telling everyone that she was flying. As she was playing at being Captain Marvel she was telling us "I'm your hero, and your hero, and your hero. I'm everyone's hero!" Wonder Woman has been replaced as her favorite superhero.

This was without a doubt the most joyous experience she's had with a live action movie. I should probably go see it again to catch things that I missed because I was too busy watching her have such a wonderful time.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »

and a lot of women, including my wife, thought it sucked

anything this big is of course going to have the full gamut of responses

Im only giving mine, which is that I feel like they dropped the ball really hard
    I understand I am just saying that you (and me!) Are probably not the best to judge if a "girl power" moment is well executed or satisfying, or not, for obvious reasons

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    if you aren't baby, sporty, ginger, scary, or posh, you have no dominion over what is or isn't girl power

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    It did also feel to me like it was a bit regressive in parts. It reminded me a lot like something I would’ve seen in the 90s. But it seems that the majority of women who saw this movie really dug it and it was really important to them so yeah that’s good.

Someone mentioned that brie Larson has a sort of Superman-like ease everywhere she went and that is something I noticed subliminally. Im excited to see her in other movies.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    if you aren't baby, sporty, ginger, scary, or posh, you have no dominion over what is or isn't girl power

I'm two-and-a-half of those and I have not seen this movie

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

you are absolutely more than half a baby

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited March 2019
    It did also feel to me like it was a bit regressive in parts. It reminded me a lot like something I would’ve seen in the 90s. But it seems that the majority of women who saw this movie really dug it and it was really important to them so yeah that’s good.

Someone mentioned that brie Larson has a sort of Superman-like ease everywhere she went and that is something I noticed subliminally. Im excited to see her in other movies.

I'll say this about women's media and, well, women: when you're starving to death you'll celebrate any scrap of food as a feast. For many people, the fact that we're merely getting something at all is worth celebrating. Not everyone is interested in deeper critique or analysis and I'd say a lot of people who see blockbusters (and Marvel movies in particular) are rather non-discerning in their taste.

I'm not going to say anything as elitist as "those people should not dictate the discourse" but I will point out that Disney counts on that sort of non-critical response because it allows them to succeed based off barest minimum effort, and I would rather hear about how good this film is from the sort of people who take a critical look at media, especially with an eye to gender representation.

There will never, ever, be a Marvel movie where you can't find hordes of people on Twitter calling it an amazing experience, if you look for it. I think we have to be able to look beyond "it's popular" to have any worthwhile discussion of them because that's a given.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

but I'm way less than half scary

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

please provide a pie-chart with your spice percentages for the thread

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    My wife and I really enjoyed it

• Options

please provide a pie-chart with your spice percentages for the thread

jj8iswp9cbb1.png

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Can one be negative sporty? If so that is me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Can one be negative sporty? If so that is me.

Yeah that'd be, like, outfits so bland that people who just saw you can't remember what you're wearing

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    that's a lot of posh

interesting

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Has anyone done a Captain Planet expy with the spice girls?

• Options
    The soundtrack (minus the 90s songs) is up on YouTube

https://youtu.be/zbixj_qXK_s

I feel like Carol’s theme is like the 3rd best Superman theme ever made

• Options
    I have to say I've seen the movie twice and I could not hum her theme for you if my life depended on it

• Options
    that's a lot of posh

interesting

I'm very elegant

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I have to say I've seen the movie twice and I could not hum her theme for you if my life depended on it

That’s why it’s only 3rd

• Options
    The only ‘theme’ that’s managed to lodge itself into my brain is the avengers theme.

• Options
    Avengers and Cap have themes that I find myself humming a lot, especially Cap's
    I think it's too bad they ditched Ramin Djawadi's Iron Man stuff because I liked that too
    That's... about it

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    The only ‘theme’ that’s managed to lodge itself into my brain is the avengers theme.

Thor Ragnarok did a good job of having a theme that was memorable and a soundtrack that used it well as a motif

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Soundtracks are another deal entirely.

Musical compilations from specific artists tend to make more of an impact. But if it’s just orchestral track from a film composer, it tends to become relegated to background noise, since movies can’t really have any dead air.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Saw this over the weekend. Loved it. I hope they never stop making Marvel movies.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    It's a good thing they managed to make the Avengers theme catchy, yeah
    I don't actually remember any other non-Spidey themes besides Avengers

Is it a Holy-Grail-kinda-thing for composers to have made a tune that becomes Iconic with a certain media property?

• Options

Is it a Holy-Grail-kinda-thing for composers to have made a tune that becomes Iconic with a certain media property?

More like an Olympic medal.

• Options

Its a bit more complicated. If they wanted to the composers of the MCU could have cranked out something memorable and catchy for most of these movies but a number of factors prevent that.

The biggest one right now is probably that a lot of people in the industry including many of the most well known composers are chasing this trend or ethos that says that good film score affects you withput getting noticed to much. They view the kind of grand memorable scores that John Williams and Company do as showy. Producers ask for and composers deliver wall paper music.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Thats not to say that every score would be star wars quality if they tried. Just that you dont remember a lot of the MCUs scores because some people in the proccess dont care at best and dont want you to at worst.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The amount of musical composition that takes places before the movie has been shot, let alone edited, would also surprise a lot of people. It’s pretty tough to create something memorable when you don’t know what is going to be happening when it plays.

Even a lot of Williams tracks lose impact when played at the wrong times.