As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Death from Above ! and Sideways ! sometimes even from Below !

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    The more important question is how they plan to make money on it , because if there is no clear plan for that the suits will kill it instantly.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I feel like that's just them saying they're going to can it.

I hadn't realized that was an option they were considering.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    tbh the fact that they've been in stasis for this long feels like a real bad sign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desJKYvdq9A

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    best case scenario is that it was a low priority project during changing to WFH that even the suits understood needed to be delayed

not optimistic about that scenario

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    One thing I've wondered about Anthem is that the revamp is pouring over into the next gen but its still a last gen game.

Seems like once this gen gets started it'll be quickly overshadowed anyway.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I think they either can it or work on the "Sequel" that is basically the real game with some next gen enhancements.

In my opinion, EA isn't a publisher who is going to overhaul.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    I think they either can it or work on the "Sequel" that is basically the real game with some next gen enhancements.

In my opinion, EA isn't a publisher who is going to overhaul.

There is no need for ANY publisher to overhaul the game. It's been 2 years now, the gaming world has long since moved on, and frankly the team is lucky they even got ANY chance to work on fixing it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The good news for Bioware is that the impending release of the Mass Effect remaster will bring in some revenue and give them some breathing room, even if Anthem gets canned. Assuming it does well and EA's expectations aren't utterly ludicrous.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I hope it’s canned

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I don't lol

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It'd be nice to see a bit of redemption. As much as some elements were poorly thought out or implemented, at its core I enjoy the basic gameplay loop, and would like to see the hard work of many people who were on the team that made it pay off. Especially those who had no say in the mess that led to what we got, at least based on the articles talking about the behind the scenes situation.

Yeah, the community in general (and my friends and I in specific) have moved on, but I still go back to games here and there often enough that I couldn't write off giving it a whirl at least.

That said, the whole thing is really reminding me why I need to avoid Games As A Service in general. Any game that wants to be a way of life is going to innately run head first into all of the others trying to do that. Now that I'm putting substantial hours every week into Apex Legends, the idea of another game that wants my friends and I logging in daily hits a bit of a 'ugh, not again' response.

Playing and progressing through Control, in comparison, has been refreshing. If I don't log in for a week or two... oh well. I didn't miss any 'dailies', I'm not running out of time to finish the battle pass, as much as I love Halloween and Christmas themed skins and events, I haven't had to worry about getting in my points for some arbitrary counter. The finely tuned single player experience is growing in appeal again just because dealing with other people (friends and foes alike) can be tiresome on multiple levels.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I feel like that's just them saying they're going to can it.

I hadn't realized that was an option they were considering.

It was always headed this way.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My realist / cynical take on this is such: If they have only spent the last however long and the most they have accomplished is planning and brainstorming a comeback, there's no way this ever gets off the ground. If a plan is all that exists, we are realistically looking at another 2 years of actual work to make this thing happen. The amount of effort needed to fix Anthem is not a 6 month project. They are basically going to have to reinvent the entire game. And the realist in me knows that will never happen.

As others have mentioned, Anthem is already a 2 year old game. It is also a last-gen title. There is absolutely no way in hell the suits at EA will greenlight a comeback strategy this late in the game. Heck, there is no game. The game is over. I'm sorry for the fans and the people who enjoyed this title and I definitely feel empathy for them, but the hope quotient is near 0%. NOTE: Hope Quotient™ is a new metric I just invented right now for this discussion.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My realist / cynical take on this is such: If they have only spent the last however long and the most they have accomplished is planning and brainstorming a comeback, there's no way this ever gets off the ground. If a plan is all that exists, we are realistically looking at another 2 years of actual work to make this thing happen. The amount of effort needed to fix Anthem is not a 6 month project. They are basically going to have to reinvent the entire game. And the realist in me knows that will never happen.

As others have mentioned, Anthem is already a 2 year old game. It is also a last-gen title. There is absolutely no way in hell the suits at EA will greenlight a comeback strategy this late in the game. Heck, there is no game. The game is over. I'm sorry for the fans and the people who enjoyed this title and I definitely feel empathy for them, but the hope quotient is near 0%. NOTE: Hope Quotient™ is a new metric I just invented right now for this discussion.

I wouldn't say there is No Way they greenlight a comeback, but if they do at this point it will absolutely either be Anthem 2, or they'll pull a Destiny 2 and make it Free to Play and roll all the changes in to the base game when they get released, and then make further content packs $30 or $40 instead of making a full-on sequel.

However, my guess is they just quietly fold the game.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

That's honestly my take as well. I was already worried when they mentioned last year that they only had a 30 man team for work on rebuilding Anthem and now I come to find out that this team was only scoping out the work necessary to get it overhauled and keep basic life support running. That is not a good look for a game this far out of the "hot stuff" loop.

• Options
    There's probably lots of other factors in the decision as well, such as how well EA's other persistent games are performing, how well Dragon Age is coming together, and whether or not the next Dragon Age will be a persistent microtransaction moneymaker. Plus how well the Anthem redo pitch goes.

It's a tall order, but it's not impossible Anthem will survive -- a persistent microtransaction moneymaker is a gold mine, and despite EA's shutter-happy past, potential gold mines are hard to abandon.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Free to play gacha game.

Genshin has crap enemy variety and limits the players in how they progress in an incredible number of ways, but it's "free", feels good to play, and looks good.

Imagine gacha Iron Man suits.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Free to play gacha game.

Genshin has crap enemy variety and limits the players in how they progress in an incredible number of ways, but it's "free", feels good to play, and looks good.

Imagine gacha Iron Man suits.

No.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    No.
    What? Genshin Impact is very successful.
    Creating my pitch for EA as I type this. Gacha 4tw.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It will be... kind of shocking if EA just lets this die. That said, it's a pretty great warning to any other studio who would ship a busted AAA game with little to no content and no ongoing endgame. "You better add some things to do if you don't want to get Anthem'd."

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    No.
    What? Genshin Impact is very successful.
    Creating my pitch for EA as I type this. Gacha 4tw.

Knowing ea's penchant for squeezing money out of every rock as long as it's easy to do with minimal effort, that's honestly one of the ways I could see this working. They have to be looking at things like COD mobile offerings and games like Genshin and seeing what moneyspinners they are. That said, given the complete 180 in direction tone/development/monetization, I don't think Anthem would survive such a jarring change without absolute scads of content ready to go on re-launch day.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    It will be... kind of shocking if EA just lets this die. That said, it's a pretty great warning to any other studio who would ship a busted AAA game with little to no content and no ongoing endgame. "You better add some things to do if you don't want to get Anthem'd."

Not a lesson that was learned even recently like Marvel Heroes had even less of an endgame.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Not a lesson that was learned even recently like Marvel Heroes had even less of an endgame.

You mean Avengers? Yeah, there's rumblings Square will stop supporting it after all the announced content comes out. Plus they hinted the game was the cause for their profits going down in their latest quarterly report.

• Options
    Right yeah I used the wrong title.

Biggest problem the game had is it was clearly a single player title they tried to make be a games as service and it didn't work. Like I own it, I played it, I almost 100% of the time never played with a single other person not once.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2021

They let Andromeda die and it was way more salvageable in my eyes. A big DLC for ME:A that fills some plot holes, updates the textures of the character models, fixes bugs and maybe does a light expansion of the multiplayer is still like 25% of the amount of work Anthem needed at the point of release. But instead of fix what was supposed to be the next generation of their signature franchise, they elected to drop it in favor of a new franchise that wasn't fleshed out and repeat all of the same mistakes as well as more that led to them dropping ME.

I don't think I am speaking just for myself when I say my fatalism towards Anthem isn't just from looking at the scale of the game's problems but that the last 5-6 years have left me with no reason to believe in BW.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

They let Andromeda die and it was way more salvageable in my eyes. A big DLC for ME:A that fills some plot holes, updates the textures of the character models, fixes bugs and maybe does a light expansion of the multiplayer is still like 25% of the amount of work Anthem needed at the point of release. But instead of fix what was supposed to be the next generation of their signature franchise, they elected to drop it in favor of a new franchise that wasn't fleshed out and repeat all of the same mistakes as well as more that led to them dropping ME.

I don't think I am speaking just for myself when I say my fatalism towards Anthem isn't just from looking at the scale of the game's problems but that the last 5-6 years have left me with no reason to believe in BW.

The thing about Andromeda is that big DLC doesn't make nearly as much money as the dripfeed of persistent content, especially when the game didn't meet sales expectations. We forget, but Anthem was the fifth-highest selling game of 2019. It's just that its business model was more dependent on what happens after the game is in the audience's hands.

• Options
    Personally I'd hope for a redemption for anthem, I liked the lore building and a mech combat persistent game scratches an itch. But they are behind the eight ball already, covid probably hurt them because its slower to work from home and EA just wants to move on which is a shame but its not like anyone will really care if another GAAS game goes down and some people on twitter will get to celebrate another lol bioware.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Imo they were probably done in by the timing of the next gen consoles as much as anything; putting resources into making anthem serviceable is a lot less tenable when the Hot New Shit is right around the corner

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Imo they were probably done in by the timing of the next gen consoles as much as anything; putting resources into making anthem serviceable is a lot less tenable when the Hot New Shit is right around the corner

I dunno really. Like I have a new console, and the only real next gen game I've played on it is frigging destiny 2. I don't even know what's the first next gen title I can see coming the next halo? Maybe? Like I bought it in a consoles are basically pcs now in that it runs my stuff faster and at higher FPS, but there hasn't been a "must get" at this point for me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I mostly want them to continue to "re-charge" the franchise. I really want some single player content that is up to Bioware's usually standard. If this is killed, I wonder if that's it for Anthem.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I mostly want them to continue to "re-charge" the franchise. I really want some single player content that is up to Bioware's usually standard. If this is killed, I wonder if that's it for Anthem.

If they don't continue with the reborn or whatever yeah Anthem is done as a franchise, no way do they go back to it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Hard to believe you could fuck up a money printing machine like Avengers and then walk away from it. At least Anthem has the excuse that new IP is hard.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

The thing about Andromeda is that big DLC doesn't make nearly as much money as the dripfeed of persistent content, especially when the game didn't meet sales expectations. We forget, but Anthem was the fifth-highest selling game of 2019. It's just that its business model was more dependent on what happens after the game is in the audience's hands.

Andromeda didn't meet sales expectations because those expectations were set from a completely meritless analysis that predicted a Metacritic score of "good enough, fucking ship it already." Anthem fell well short of its goals too. My point isn't really related to the revenue model. When BW isn't necessarily making bad decisions, it's making them for bad reasons.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Hard to believe you could fuck up a money printing machine like Avengers and then walk away from it. At least Anthem has the excuse that new IP is hard.

Its kind of surprising with as big as the marvel franchises are they have not really put out a ton of games to capitalize on it. Like spiderman is the only real good one, and thats not even straight marvel.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Its kind of surprising with as big as the marvel franchises are they have not really put out a ton of games to capitalize on it. Like spiderman is the only real good one, and thats not even straight marvel.

Disney is not super good at videogames..

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There's nothing Square Enix loves more than throwing their western developers under the bus, and this time it's even fairly warranted.

As for Anthem, someone has to convince EA that working on Anthem will result in making more money. That seems like a tall fucking order.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    TBH I don't know how much worse Anthem fared than any other AAA GaaS where it came out pretty barebones and was eventually made into something decent. Hell, that's pretty much the genre's MO from what I've seen.

I think it was moreso that the game released at point where most people were just tired of that cycle. Not to mention the internal development strife on top of that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    There's nothing Square Enix loves more than throwing their western developers under the bus, and this time it's even fairly warranted.

As for Anthem, someone has to convince EA that working on Anthem will result in making more money. That seems like a tall fucking order.

Only thing I could see is EA play has really nothing to it then retreads of previous games that already came out. Their service could direly use a game people would want to come back to, whether that's anthem or something else ??? I mean EA hasn't been releasing bangers recently.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Only thing I could see is EA play has really nothing to it then retreads of previous games that already came out. Their service could direly use a game people would want to come back to, whether that's anthem or something else ??? I mean EA hasn't been releasing bangers recently.

Well, their sports games and Star Wars stuff are doing well, and Sims 4 somehow keeps kicking along.

Their last quarterly report shows they're still profitable, though it's down about two-thirds from the same time last year. Which would suggest it's belt-tightening time. Gotta keep those shareholders happy.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    TBH I don't know how much worse Anthem fared than any other AAA GaaS where it came out pretty barebones and was eventually made into something decent. Hell, that's pretty much the genre's MO from what I've seen.

I think it was moreso that the game released at point where most people were just tired of that cycle. Not to mention the internal development strife on top of that.

I think the launch was a disaster even by most GaaS standards, being buggy and poorly optimized and having poor connectivity and stability. I remember having a hard time just trying to play the game when it first came out.