As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    ok i'm putting my foot down. no more fucking gametrayz inserts. these things are a huge waste.

Arena: 7 boxes! Throw away all the gametrayz: 2 boxes

Agents of Mayhem: 7 boxes! Throw away all the ding dang gametrayz WITH A SONG IN MY HEART: one farkkin' box!

STOP GIVING THESE PEOPLE MONEY

Surely in those big box o plastic games organisers are essential?

Nah. Breaks down to bags of minis, bags of cards, and the boards.

Sometimes tokens too, but usually it's ultimately easier that way unless you get bogged down setting up.

Maybe some games but really it's never really been an issue for us except for finding your specific player mini in Zombicide games. That's a pain in the ass.

And the only game I've ever had damage in due to it is Cthulhu Wars and that's because the cardboard is so soft and the monsters are so dang spikey.

I'd expect Nemesis or other big-mini games to share the issue, yeah. As far as keeping trays I'm thinking more of Spirit Island or others where you need 3 Gnipnops there and 2 Whirlyburlies here but 1 Gnipnop over there, and so on. A decent base insert helps with that type of setup in my experience.

Nah, just put the gnipnops in one baggie and the Whirlyburlies in another. You can still organize with baggies.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    ok i'm putting my foot down. no more fucking gametrayz inserts. these things are a huge waste.

Agents of Mayhem: 7 boxes! Throw away all the ding dang gametrayz WITH A SONG IN MY HEART: one farkkin' box!

Sometimes tokens too, but usually it's ultimately easier that way unless you get bogged down setting up.

Maybe some games but really it's never really been an issue for us except for finding your specific player mini in Zombicide games. That's a pain in the ass.

And the only game I've ever had damage in due to it is Cthulhu Wars and that's because the cardboard is so soft and the monsters are so dang spikey.

The cthulhu wars insert was a masterpiece, you animal!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

The cthulhu wars insert was a masterpiece, you animal!

No way. I had the first one that actually broke most of the minis. It SUUUUUCKED.

• Options
    Also my full 300$ Street Masters pledge is on the way now. I actually don't have room in the recycling dumpster for all these boxes and plastic shells and my cats are tearing everything all over the house

jesus take the wheel

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Also my full 300$ Street Masters pledge is on the way now. I actually don't have room in the recycling dumpster for all these boxes and plastic shells and my cats are tearing everything all over the house

jesus take the wheel

Careful. He's known for table-flipping.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Speaking of Nemesis, my copy of the expansions has just arrived. I wonder if the Aftermath characters are playable in the base game. Should be fine if they use the same base mechanics.

I look forward to playing this big, dumb game again with 4 or 5. We got lucky the last time we played, which was our first attempt, with the Queen spawning late — inside a room that we already intended to vent into space. Off she went.

• Options
    Speaking of Nemesis, my copy of the expansions has just arrived. I wonder if the Aftermath characters are playable in the base game. Should be fine if they use the same base mechanics.

I look forward to playing this big, dumb game again with 4 or 5. We got lucky the last time we played, which was our first attempt, with the Queen spawning late — inside a room that we already intended to vent into space. Off she went.

gurl had vacation plans. can't fault that

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Last time we played I crashed the ship into Mars.

Apparently it was completely okay for me to go into the cryo-pods and lock us in on that destination rather than democratically persuading everyone that it was for the best and we should use the escape pods, but of course, that exception to the normal cryo-pod rules isn't printed on the one objective that requires you to invoke it, because that would be easy.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular

The GameTrayz for Sabotage are disgustingly inept.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I am very happy with my 3 plano boxes and old Netrunner deckboxes of stuff for Gloomhaven that mean breakdown and set up is significantly reduced. I think I use plastic baggies for everything else, but Gloomhaven would be nightmarish to sort out without those plano boxes.

My netrunner sits in the main game boxes it came in 12 of the data packs spilt between them
    I liked playing Netrunner just I felt I needed to find more people to play with before I put away for good. But storage I tend to use the box the game came in the various d&d games they stay as they were the minis might have been used in a different game go back to the original game when it's over compared to Warhammer quest ended up with the minis and books from the two supplements. Just over the years I misplaced the main rule book yet I still had everything else. With Blackstone fortress I am falling into the same problem {the main game as the minis but this time I kept the ad ons in the little boxes they came in. Other entry games by Gw I try not to raid them for the minis {if I really want them or a certain one I will play ebay for them.

• Options
    Hey, folks, go check out Heroes & Gods: The Master of Dreams on Kickstarter. I can't honestly tell what the game even is but it sure is pretty and doesn't need a lot more to fund.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hey, folks, go check out Heroes & Gods: The Master of Dreams on Kickstarter. I can't honestly tell what the game even is but it sure is pretty and doesn't need a lot more to fund.

Not being able to tell what on earth a game is doesn't really encourage me to back it. It is very busy looking though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I know I love busy looking!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That is definitely a thing a lot of people have put effort into.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    It appears to be some kind of co-op. Probably. Maybe similar to Mistfall?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm really kind of sad right now.

I guess some stores are able to sell Marvel Champions today, because they are "Asmodee platinum partners" or something.

Yet my store has to strictly enforce Asmodee street dates. So even though my FFG stuff comes in (and I get called about it) on Wednesdays, I can't pick it up till Fridays. And Marvel Champions officially releases next Friday, Nov. 1st.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    My copy of nemesis arrived last night. Might even get it to the table Sunday so that's fun.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Feels a bit like Mage Knight to me, which is making it real hard not to back. Plus I'm about to have a lot more free time. Oh and full pledge has metal coins. Arrrgh

• Options
    My copy of nemesis arrived last night. Might even get it to the table Sunday so that's fun.

I've had my shipping notice for 6 dang weeks and the thing hasn't moved an inch.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular

Not being able to tell what on earth a game is doesn't really encourage me to back it. It is very busy looking though

As I was perusing the list of features, content, and mechanisms, I started hearing the "Cones of Dunshire" bit in my head. But, like, in the best possible way? It still looks kind of cool?

But there is a part that gives me pause. It's... well... hm. May I suggest the reading of "The Herald of Fear", part of "The story of Radclira", about a third of the way down. I don't want to prejudice anyone against it but... maybe writing is hard?

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    jergarmar wrote: »

As I was perusing the list of features, content, and mechanisms, I started hearing the "Cones of Dunshire" bit in my head. But, like, in the best possible way? It still looks kind of cool?

But there is a part that gives me pause. It's... well... hm. May I suggest the reading of "The Herald of Fear", part of "The story of Radclira", about a third of the way down. I don't want to prejudice anyone against it but... maybe writing is hard?

Middara is a good game but the campaign book traps you in an anime-influenced YASF novel. Not a good one, either.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm really kind of sad right now.

I guess some stores are able to sell Marvel Champions today, because they are "Asmodee platinum partners" or something.

Yet my store has to strictly enforce Asmodee street dates. So even though my FFG stuff comes in (and I get called about it) on Wednesdays, I can't pick it up till Fridays. And Marvel Champions officially releases next Friday, Nov. 1st.

That's ridiculous

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    A friend got Dead of Winter for his birthday and yesterday we played it with 4 for the first time. The recommended starting scenario we managed to win with 1 moral remaining, partly due to completing a crossroads card successfully.
    After the first win we wanted seconds.
    This time we needed to be armed and have food. I didn't come off as helpfull during the first round someone suggested it would be fun to exile Dirtmuncher.
    After some banter, a few laughs, a tied vote broken by the person who suggested to exile me in the first place, my team was actually exiled.
    My new objective was very aptly: vengeance. I needed to kill some survivors.
    Ow how their laughter turned to horrified silence as I attacked their people, took their stuff and left them to be overrun at the police station after searching really loudly.
    At the end moral dropped to zero and I had reached my objective over the backs of 5 dead survivors.
    I can't wait to play it again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    After a long time we finally got to play Scythe again! And I managed to defend my winning streak with the purple not-Japan once more, although this time the fight was way closer - the second place Crimeans were four coins behind at the end, and we were accidentally helped by the Saxons ending the game prematurely with them winning a battle and getting a sixth star.

I kind of like the fact that its conflict is more Cold War than hot (as people who played it would describe it) - you want to expand and develop your engine, but actual combat can be costly and will put you in a disadvantage later against opportunistic enemie. I managed to make a timely dive into the Factory after people got tired and scared off, and then plant the worst of my traps there, really disincentivizing people from attacking (and giving me an avenue to just waltz back in any time I like).

There's also the fact that my Brother-in-law commissioned someone to paint the mechs and characters, and it was an added aesthetic bonus to the session. The official metal coins we also have were okay, not as heavy as I'd like, but definitely better than cardboard. Overall they both make a significant bonus to our enjoyment.

All in all A++, will Scythe again (and playfully lord my victory over them for a day or two)

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I liked Scythe at first, but after some experience, couldn't shake the feeling that there was an optimum scripted sequence for the entire first half based on your faction/map combo. At this point it almost feels like they could start the game at the halfway point with the board setup being determined by each player's combo, and then you just play from there with half the play time. I know that's not literally true, but it still feels 90% pre-determined going through the motions for the first half dozen turns.

Then there's just sloppy design when they have to retroactively ban certain combos.

MrBody on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    there are players at my meetup who can win at Scythe writing down their moves 4 at a time and then executing them without alteration. It’s absolutely a solvable economic optimization exercise per starting setup and only interactive once everyone is already meeting that relatively high bar. It’s also semideliberately misleading- an engine builder that looks like a 4X

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I'm wondering if it would have quickly fizzled if it wasn't for the art.

MrBody on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Yeah, the predefined starting points definitely make most of the first few turns a solitaire lite. The random player mats dissuade it, but only a bit.

We don't play Scythe often enough to memorize the first turns, though, let alone sticking to a single faction.

Also, Scythe now does have the modular map which also randomizes positions and starting resources, so hopefully that ultimately gets fixed.

• Options
    I would like to see a map setup that just does away with rivers altogether, then rebalance the upgrades & factions accordingly. One of the things that made the early game boring was boiling down to timing between either the boring riverwalk upgrade or the mine structure.

Although I never did try the airship expansion. Looked a bit too fiddly for solving that problem.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm weak willed. I picked up Dune.

I just tossed all the small components in baggies, despite the game coming with an organizer tray. I just don't trust the weight of the book to keep things in place. I guess I could put the punchboards under the tray to lift it up, but given the dials' thickness I don't think it is worth it.

I'm trying to check out the differences between it and Rex. It's been a long time since I've busted out Rex, but interestingly it looks like how the spice blows / influence cards work is different between the two games, notably because regions can be in more than 1 sector in Dune, but in Rex it is one sector per region. And I think Rex's board is smaller?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Scythe, does anyone else feel like upgrades are a total trap as a star strategy? Getting all six upgrades requires investing at least twelve turns in oil + activation cost. Even playing Rusviet Militant (which can upgrade its upgrade to 1 to get better upgrades, dawg), the time commitment to get the full set of upgrades allowed two other players to massively expand while I was moving boxes.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    gavindel wrote: »
    Speaking of Scythe, does anyone else feel like upgrades are a total trap as a star strategy? Getting all six upgrades requires investing at least twelve turns in oil + activation cost. Even playing Rusviet Militant (which can upgrade its upgrade to 1 to get better upgrades, dawg), the time commitment to get the full set of upgrades allowed two other players to massively expand while I was moving boxes.

I honestly think stars themselves are a trap. You go through so many hoops and pass up so many coins to get them, more than the coins you get for stars at the end. I'm wondering if you would be better off just grabbing a couple of the easy ones, focus on coin gathering, then spread out to as many areas as possible right before the game ends.

No clue what high level play looks like. I guess the star collectors get to control when the game ends?

• Options
    Maybe, maybe not. You're going to need upgrades anyway, and if you're gonna do the top action it's joined to (esp. Move/Produce) might as well do it as well for efficiency, no?

The secret objective star is much more swingy, I feel. You can almost immediately determine whether you have one more star at the end of the game or not with just a look at the two missions you received, but newer players think they have to finish it.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    The main reason to do bottom actions is to efficiently turn resources into coins, so i would do upgrades if they were under produce, if i needed other bottom actions to be more efficient, or if it paid out three coins.

I regularly take bottom actions after i already have the stars and receive no further mechs or no further enlistment bonuses or whatever

sig.gif
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I got to play Glen More II so I can update the conversation on whether or not it can replace Glen More.

So first off, the game is about twice as long, now more of a main game than an appetizer or finisher. The box by volume is also bigger than A Feast for Odin which is pretty amazing considering how the original box is smaller than Sushi Party Go. Glenmore II has 4 piles of tiles, the fourth having an "End of the World" tile hidden in it that ends the game when everyone crosses it. You still get to pick the tile that they land on by crossing it however. There are still only 3 scoring rounds, but there is now a new category, famous people. These are tiles you can land on that do not add to your tableau. Every time you get one you get to drop a chip on a new clan board unlocking special one time or ongoing abilities. There are new tiles and abilities on the clan board that let you delete tiles from your tableau. (In Glen More whoever has the smallest tableau causes every other player to lose 3 points for each tile bigger theirs is.) My friend who owns the game ended the game with two tiles causing people to lose 20-30 points each.

Some other changes to note, the quality of the art and the components are through the roof. The cardboard is absurdly thick. The tiles have better iconography, but each tile is now named instead of typed. So instead of tavern you get Edinburgh or something. That might make it harder to learn? You can now overbuild a tile onto an old tile of the same type. This costs resources and generally gives a better tile. Some upgraded fields can give you one of whatever resource you want every turn.

Glen more II eliminates the road, only having a river you can expand along. It didn't seem to be too much of a problem. All in all I enjoyed it as much as the original, but it is certainly competing against a different length/category of game now. This was playing without any of the 9-10 chronicles in the game. I can't share my opinion on them other than the Nessie promo one which felt kind of off in a low randomness game (Nessie gives players 0-6 VP everytime they pass her).

If you strip everything out, you still have no road, and I'm not sure if you have less tiles if you strip out overbuilding and great people. I can tell you that I liked it enough to try and order a copy.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Had a good gameday yesterday with our 2 normal folks and 2 new editions.

Broke out Battlestar Galactica, good time was had by all. Right near the end, one of our new players says "I'm definitely adding this to my Amazon list"

My wife and, simultaneously- "Uh, yeah, about that..."

Anywho. Humanity survived by the skin of our teeth with me doing an early -3 FTL jump with only 2 pop left. My only successful roll of the game.

Then a round of Mysterium which failed hysterically. Damnable dreams!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I highly recommend Dark Moon as an alternative.

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Ok guys, I need some advice. I got Gencon coming up next summer, but it’s looking to be REALLY expensive. I also have Lexicon coming up in April, not near as big but probably more affordable. So I’ve never been to Gencon, so I gotta ask, is it worth it? I can probably only go to one.