As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    FWIW, the scores in our game of pipeline were like 370-350-240-130 (generous rounding).
    I played Pret-a-Porter once (have owned it since the original release ...) and had a game with similarly distanced scores. I agree there seems to be just a bit more luck than desirable with the card draws, but I found the limited space on the board to be far more interactive than you seem to have. Fashion was definitely cutthroat. I've actually wanted to play it again ever since, but the opportunity has just never been there. :P

Our scores in Pret were: 309, 357, 413. I think it benefits from a repeated plays if only because I didn't understand the rules/value of things on the first time through. I grabbed the contract for free upgrades, the other two players got design houses, so they were getting free cards every turn for the rest of the game and I got ~8$ None of the cards that I got were dresses so I couldn't use my specialty to generate extra trends. Also I kept getting surprised by the fashion show. The scores would have been ever further out but the person in first bought a huge stock of all threads just because he had more money than he would ever need very soon into the game. The limited spaces did mean you could block someone, but you couldn't really be strategic with it since turn order just rotates. Arkwright is a lot more interactive just in that nearly every move you make changes the price or quality of your goods which affects how many goods everyone is going to sell which can make someone go broke unless they change their quality which means you need to change your quality, or get a shipping contract. Or maybe people hire employees and that affects the labor price of everyone. Pret certainly isn't the worst game I've ever played but I felt that there is no way to recover from a misplay. Its my same criticism against Chicago Express but at least that is short.
    Pipeline feels so similar! It's very much an economic game insofar as money begets more money, so the better you did in the beginning, the better you'll do later on. There was just something about Pret that I definitely latched onto and made me want to play it more, but it's been so long I really couldn't say what.

I haven't played Arkwright (haven't ever been particularly interested, honestly), but whenever economic games come up I find myself thinking about how much we've always enjoyed the last version of Planet Steam. Something about that game is just much better, even though the scores can be equally disparate (same thing with Food Chain Magnate et al), it just plays well and has the interesting difference from many of these other games where you actually start off with a bunch of money. It seems to do a good job of being a game of mostly player-controlled economies with the accessibility that many more traditional purely economic games lack.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    When you played planet stream did the local tank market run out immediately and never refill? We played a few times and that was our experience. Maybe it’s something that changes with high player count?

sig.gif
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    There's a superbly cool new worker placement Euro on Ks right now called Goetia all about summoning and worshiping demons from the Keys of Solomon. I'm totally in love with it.

Aaaaaaand it's failing miserably. I didn't think that theme would fly in the mostly right-wing Christian boardgame crowd.

That sucks, I saw Rahdo’s review and was interested. For me the game wasn’t even in the first page when googling “Goetia Kickstarter”.Rahdo’s video came out yesterday, maybe we’ll see more advertisement coming soon?

• Options
    When you played planet stream did the local tank market run out immediately and never refill? We played a few times and that was our experience. Maybe it’s something that changes with high player count?
    Definitely not. That seems like something you'd have to try and do? Like, the board automatically builds as many tanks as it can using the available resources, so did you guys somehow buy all the tanks AND all the resources to build tanks AND never sell those resources back to the board?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    There's a superbly cool new worker placement Euro on Ks right now called Goetia all about summoning and worshiping demons from the Keys of Solomon. I'm totally in love with it.

Aaaaaaand it's failing miserably. I didn't think that theme would fly in the mostly right-wing Christian boardgame crowd.

I think it's more that it looks pretty plain and the world is filled with very similar looking worker placement games.

I just don't see a hook here.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I think it's more that it looks pretty plain and the world is filled with very similar looking worker placement games.

I just don't see a hook here.

Sure. But a widely distasteful theme certainly isn't helping.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The only other wp game I can think that I've seen that are like this modular and changing set up is ex libris (I think that's the name. The magic library building one). Forging pacts to make unique rules for yourself is a cool hook. Idk. It looks like a bunch of solid mechanics lashed together with a good theme.

My big hangups are honestly more that it's just one person doing it all and some of the writing towards the logistics is playing it a bit too loose

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Definitely not. That seems like something you'd have to try and do? Like, the board automatically builds as many tanks as it can using the available resources, so did you guys somehow buy all the tanks AND all the resources to build tanks AND never sell those resources back to the board?

we didn't try to do it at all but with 5 people buying tanks even modest stockpiling and speculating was enough to prevent the resources from causing more than a tank or two to be built in the local market before it ran out on turn 2 in each game

sig.gif
  • Options
    Clearly you aren't alone since I was able to find this BGG thread with a google search. Notably, every person talking about it seems to be playing a 5-player game. I've only ever played it with 3 or 4, so it might just be the balance of a few more dollars in the players' collective pockets being able to effectively buy-out all the relative markets.

• Options
    ArdArd Registered User regular

It’s not the theme. It’s that the theme and style have been beaten into the dirt repeatedly over the last two years. Evil High Priest and Cult both did fine and are extremely similar style games, and there have been multiple other worker placements of a similar style. They missed their window.

• Options
    Ard wrote: »

It’s not the theme. It’s that the theme and style have been beaten into the dirt repeatedly over the last two years. Evil High Priest and Cult both did fine and are extremely similar style games, and there have been multiple other worker placements of a similar style. They missed their window.

Uh, no. This is literally taken from the bible. EVP and Cult were all made up baddies.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    (It aint from the bible)

If theyd had some gnarly looking demon figures theyd be raking in the cash.

Just imagine plonking Beur down on the table.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buer_(demon)
    Itd give Kingdom Death a run for its money.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Yes you can’t expect to have a boardgame on Kickstarter do well without minis.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ArdArd Registered User regular
    Uh, no. This is literally taken from the bible. EVP and Cult were all made up baddies.

It’s not and you’re wrong. Go take your soapbox and hatred elsewhere. If it was about the bible it’d be all over their comments, those people are not any more shy about their hatred than you are here. It’s just not an interesting game at this point.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

That would add more red flags! I find the game and art interesting (tho not sold in the graphic design). But I'm not surprised a $50 game from a first timer without a huge wow factor isn't doing great on KS.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Ard wrote: »

It’s not and you’re wrong. Go take your soapbox and hatred elsewhere. If it was about the bible it’d be all over their comments, those people are not any more shy about their hatred than you are here. It’s just not an interesting game at this point.

Grow up and drop your strawman. I got no soapbox, I totally respect their decision and it's totally ok with me that that could be the reason it's failing. If I was a Christian I wouldn't get it either. I in no way hate Christians; I just don't like assholes who use it as an excuse to be bigots which, again, is not happening here at all.

And Belial and numerous other names mentioned in the game are ABSOLUTELY in the Hebrew bible. Are we just talking different bibles? I admit I don't know a lot about them.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I have a ton of boardgames from KS without minis.

And...uh... a ton WITH minis. Like, a literal ton.

Speaking of, we played Abomination last night. It's pretty much a very by the numbers worker placement with super light story choose your own adventure elements but damn if the extremely gruesome theme doesn't kind of push it over to "really good".

Magic Pink on
  • Options

That would add more red flags! I find the game and art interesting (tho not sold in the graphic design). But I'm not surprised a $50 game from a first timer without a huge wow factor isn't doing great on KS.

The thing that surprises me is Rahdo gave it a glowing review and that usually cements the success almost immediately. Not this time tho.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Sorry, that was my tired kickstarter assessment. On more reasonable terms, I dislike buying games through kickstarter because of ks exclusives, feature bloat, and their anti union practices. I allow that some great products have come from it, but I dislike the trend to no longer make products without having the customers float them all the money upfront and hope that they get it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    While the key of Solomon as a writing is like a Renaissance thing, it is pulling it's source heavily from biblical, kaballah, and a bunch of mysticism tradition so I'd call it a "well yes, but actually no, but actually..." thing.

• Options
    Sorry, that was my tired kickstarter assessment. On more reasonable terms, I dislike buying games through kickstarter because of ks exclusives, feature bloat, and their anti union practices. I allow that some great products have come from it, but I dislike the trend to no longer make products without having the customers float them all the money upfront and hope that they get it.
    Indeed. I get the feeling at this point that there are several faces to kickstarter, and some are certainly okay while others are much less so. If you go looking at non-game categories (something that happens occasionally for us because we've backed the odd art project), it's generally (GENERALLY.) a less entitled space than the board game side. But even within the board game space you have some that do pretty right by the customers (Parks is a good example, featuring zero kickstarter exclusives besides a bonus slip-cover and a nice thank-you card). However like you say, it's the company itself that's probably got me at the end of my days with the platform. :/

• Options
    While the key of Solomon as a writing is like a Renaissance thing, it is pulling it's source heavily from biblical, kaballah, and a bunch of mysticism tradition so I'd call it a "well yes, but actually no, but actually..." thing.

well now i'm even more confused

• Options

well now i'm even more confused

That sounds about right.

I'm certainly not super knowledgeable on it but after I played shadow hearts forever ago where it features heavily I wanted to know more about. It is believed to be part of the Renaissance era spellbook tradition so think like any book name that Arkham horror or whatever occult media you enjoy ever references as a lost occult tome basically.

It's opening gives it a mystical origin and describes it as given to Solomon by god then hidden in his sepulchre when he died until Babylonian scholars found it but where unable to read it until once again asking god for that knowledge so it purports to be a holy spellbook where you call on god for the powers inside unlike those unholy type spellbooks where you do dark things to gain evil pwoer. Many of the demon's match to ones in the Bible, talmud, kaballah, other apocryphal writings of the time and region like Babylonian deities. It's almost just a map of all of the gods of antiquity from the near/middle east.

• Options
  • Options
    One of the funny bits is that's why I'm familiar with the name Asmodeus which was really confusing when I first started paying attention to boardgames because "i guess this Asmodee company must make like demonic games"

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So this past weekend my local game store had a bazaar for people to sell/trade used games. I picked up Coma ward for 10 bucks (Been interested in it since the KS, so that was a great deal), and I haggled a guy for a copy of Tapestry for 70 bucks.

I've watched some videos of Tapestry rules and i think i have a decent grasp on it...but I did have one worry and a few questions. The game is for 1-5 people, but there are only 4 tech tracks. isnt the fifth player always likely going to get the shaft since most of the time people will start a new age on each of the available tracks, and get the first bonus, while the second person to go on a track doesnt get the bonus since they werent the first one on it right?
    or is it only the monuments that the first person applies to?

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So this past weekend my local game store had a bazaar for people to sell/trade used games. I picked up Coma ward for 10 bucks (Been interested in it since the KS, so that was a great deal), and I haggled a guy for a copy of Tapestry for 70 bucks.

I've watched some videos of Tapestry rules and i think i have a decent grasp on it...but I did have one worry and a few questions. The game is for 1-5 people, but there are only 4 tech tracks. isnt the fifth player always likely going to get the shaft since most of the time people will start a new age on each of the available tracks, and get the first bonus, while the second person to go on a track doesnt get the bonus since they werent the first one on it right?
    or is it only the monuments that the first person applies to?

Our Tapestry play w/ 5 was universally assessed as too slow and not very enjoyable - the friend of mine who backed it ended up trading it shortly afterwards.

Our collective read was that it's probably better w/ 3.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think there are a whole bunch of reasons the Kickstarter for Goetia isn't going well and "Christians don't like demons" is way down the list. It looks amateurish, and that just doesn't work for modern boardgames Kickstarter.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I think there are a whole bunch of reasons the Kickstarter for Goetia isn't going well and "Christians don't like demons" is way down the list. It looks amateurish, and that just doesn't work for modern boardgames Kickstarter.

Probably doesn't help there was a book/cards released with the same name back in May, so discovery could be an issue too.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

Probably doesn't help there was a book/cards released with the same name back in May, so discovery could be an issue too.

It took me three Google searches to find it.

• Options
    Goetia, Goetia+kickstarter, Goetia+Kickstarter+Boardgame yeah. That's asking a lot.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Huzzah, I got my retail copy of Nemesis. They had over 50 orders but only 14 copies came in, and they had to cancel all the rest. I guess I got lucky. I can already see my girlfriend zoning out as I try to explain how to play this one.

Props to Awaken Realms for making a really nice insert, though, and with support for sleeved cards!

Edit: Slightly take back that last bit. They included marked storage space for sleeved cards, but the wells aren't long enough to support them. You have to cut bits of the plastic insert to make them fit.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Huzzah, I got my retail copy of Nemesis. They had over 50 orders but only 14 copies came in, and they had to cancel all the rest. I guess I got lucky. I can already see my girlfriend zoning out as I try to explain how to play this one.

Props to Awaken Realms for making a really nice insert, though, and with support for sleeved cards!

Edit: Slightly take back that last bit. They included marked storage space for sleeved cards, but the wells aren't long enough to support them. You have to cut bits of the plastic insert to make them fit.

Hope mine comes soon. Pre-ordered from MiniatureMarket back in March. Hope I don't get the axe!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      azith28azith28 Registered User regular
      Nemesis isnt that complex really. its hard, sure....but the traitor aspect leads to lots of fun. I got my stretch goals about 2 weeks ago, but i havent gotten to bring it back to the table yet. models look really nice in the expansion.

As long as you get it all setup so starting is quick, she should pick it up easily enough.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    • Options
      SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
      edited November 2019
      Does anyone have experience with Coldwater Crown?

I have been coveting Freshwater Fly while it wades through production...
      it is achingly beautiful;
      7e4d0887784b1371de8b9327468a45d7_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1553393002&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=e1e4bae63037b3beefc9262b0fa3958c

but reviews consistently mention that it gets a bit repetitive. Given the subject matter this might be a feature and not a flaw; fly fishing is supposed to be meditative.
      Even so, meditative is not really what I am used to at a board game night. I am wondering if Coldwater Crown might be a better pickup?

Sokpuppet on
    • Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      I'm gonna be in Tokyo just in time for the Game Market on November 23! What games do I need to watch out for? There's a couple threads on reddit and bgg that has some good insights but I figure I'd also pick your collective brain.

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Check out Master of Respect (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/211734/master-respect) if you see it.
      I played it last year at PAXU first look, and haven't been able to find it for a reasonable price since. It was a limited Kickstarter, but from HobbyJapan, so maybe you'd be more likely to find it there?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

we didn't try to do it at all but with 5 people buying tanks even modest stockpiling and speculating was enough to prevent the resources from causing more than a tank or two to be built in the local market before it ran out on turn 2 in each game

This sounds about right - the tank market never fills up as much as it does at the beginning of the game, and it's entirely possible to strangle tank creation by buying up resources, so there's going to be a pretty constrained supply. That's why the 'import tank' is a separate action with a fixed cost. It seems like it's supposed to be one of those things that is part of player's strategy - anticipating when there's going to be a run on iron(? I think it is) so you have an incentive to sell some back to the supply, or purposely draining the resources out after you were able to buy a couple early on a turn so people can't catch back up.

sig.gif
    • Options
      MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      edited November 2019
      Any opinions on Mystery House: Adventure in a Box? Looks like Unlock with an elaborate 3D cardboard house you pull numbered cards out of and an app gives you story and puzzles.

pic4985432.jpg

MrBody on
    • Options
      MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      edited November 2019
      MrBody on